• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BaganSmashBros and ko.'s Kustom Kontent - King K. Rool, Kraid and...Metal Face?!

How would you rate each project?

• (K. Rool) Kotally Awesome 5/5

Votes: 166 80.2%
  • (K. Rool) Kool 4/5

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • (K. Rool) ...ok? 3/5

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • (K. Rool) K. Rapp 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (K. Rool) Kek 1/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Kraid) Awesomesauce 5/5

Votes: 54 26.1%
  • (Kraid) Very good 4/5

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • (Kraid) Good 3/5

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • (Kraid) Fair 2/5

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • (Kraid) Poor 1/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) ...SMASHING! Hah hah hah 5/5

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • (Metal Face) Acceptable 4/5

Votes: 38 18.4%
  • (Metal Face) Weak! 3/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) Pathetic! 2/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Metal Face) Worthless! 1/5

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I'm sure that Shulk's FS would be modified from Captain Falcons Final Smash because of the similar execution and just make it do multi-hit damage once ensnared. (Although I have no clue if that's actually possible since I've never attempted something like character modding in Brawl, let alone make a decent character model that looks like it would actually belong in the game.)
Just popping in to say that aside from the fact that article porting isn't possible, Falcon's FS is hard as hell to work with. Trust me when I say I wasted a month of my life trying to make the anime falcon punch work the way I wanted it to.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
i lost 6 ranked battles on splatoon in a row and my moans of utter disappointment/anger could work for kraid if you want.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I have an idea for K.Rool's Back Air attack
View attachment 93655
What if he pulls out his Blunderbuss, positions it behind his back to shoot a close-range burst of flames? And throughout the attack's animation, K. Rool would have a similar pose to the image above, while staring at the screen as well.

Or this idea could be used for something else.
Good idea. And have it move K. Rool like ROB's BAir.
It says "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."
Its one of those private groups. You have to be invited here first or something.

Got few things done within few hours:
Forward tilt:

Overhand punch something something. Medium-high knockback. Sourspot on body.
Down tilt:

A quick bite with surprisingly high knockback, but very low hitbox duration (2-3 frames). Sourspot on body.
Up tilt:

Hits twice (once when he jumps and another time when he extends his arms), medium knockback. Based off his Paeon render pose.
Forward Smash:

Pounds the ground with his fists. High knockback at the cost of long start up and end lag. Sourspot on body. Has heavy knockback-based armor while he jumps. Right now, he jumps while doing it, but i might just make him stay in place.

And nothing really special, but here is what you get when you use Side B when crown is already thrown:

50 frames instead of ~30 and that "ARGH" sound he makes when you hit him in DKC1. Also, animation for Side B was changed because old one didn't work well.

If you were expecting that blunderbuss attack he had in DKC2, then don't worry - it will be part of Neutral B like Ridley's fire breath. And none of what is shown above is final.

IROX568

Smash Cadet
I have an idea for K.Rool's Back Air attack
View attachment 93655
What if he pulls out his Blunderbuss, positions it behind his back to shoot a close-range burst of flames? And throughout the attack's animation, K. Rool would have a similar pose to the image above, while staring at the screen as well.

Or this idea could be used for something else.
Not a bad idea but the position in the image looks a little awkward for a B-air.

Also, maybe for one of MF''s taunts he could "Didn't work then, won't work now!" like he did in XC

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I love every move thus far except for Up Tilt.
Keeping in mind that this isn't final, the problems which can be foreseen is the model's restrictions/limitations. Due to the proportions of his body, the shoulders look very awkward when his arms go upright. It's cool that you attempted an homage to the Paeon render, but that render and Classic K.Rool model are quite incompatible, due to the tiny legs and broad shoulders.

And nothing really special, but here is what you get when you use Side B when crown is already thrown:
Would it be possible to have both his legs face sideways during this animation? Like the image below?
Shock.png
The pic you showed has his right leg facing the screen, which gives the impression it is extremely thin while the left one's thick. Speaking of his legs, in both the Paeon and Classic renders of K.Rool (including 2D pic above), his thighs are fat near the area where they connect to his main body.
182318-300px_kingkrool.jpg

Is it possible to increase the thickness of the current model's thighs? This would visually hide the hollow ''rings'' seen below.
mq0ZGYi.jpg

As for the other moves, they are excellent! My favorite at the moment is the Forward Smash, because it emphasizes so much on K.Rool's brute strength :)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I love every move thus far except for Up Tilt.
Keeping in mind that this isn't final, the problems which can be foreseen is the model's restrictions/limitations. Due to the proportions of his body, the shoulders look very awkward when his arms go upright. It's cool that you attempted an homage to the Paeon render, but that render and Classic K.Rool model are quite incompatible, due to the tiny legs and broad shoulders.
His shoulders are posed like that for few frames, but i can see the problem here. And Paeon K. Rool has small legs as well, but shoulders still are wider here, so...yeah.
Would it be possible to have both his legs face sideways during this animation? Like the image below?
View attachment 93754
The pic you showed has his right leg facing the screen, which gives the impression it is extremely thin while the left one's thick.
That would require remaking whole animation for both this and Side B, but it can be done. Its like this because of how original Side B animation looks like.
ScreenCapture118.png

I just need to properly replicate that DKC1 animation without looking stiff.
Speaking of his legs, in both the Paeon and Classic renders of K.Rool (including 2D pic above), his thighs are fat near the area where they connect to his main body.
View attachment 93756
Is it possible to increase the thickness of the current model's thighs? This would visually hide the hollow ''rings'' seen below.
View attachment 93757
It is possible. Would be more accurate too. But first, i'll need to see how it would look like with different animations. Animations K. Rool had in DKC1 are kinda stiff.
Also, maybe for one of MF''s taunts he could "Didn't work then, won't work now!" like he did in XC
If i could properly rip his lines from complex cutscenes (those that don't just use standing, talking, something else, etc. animations), i would have all of the taunts and victory animations ready. But audio for complex cutscenes in XC has voices, SFX and music together instead of separating them (and those are real-time cutscenes, so...why?), so, there are barely any clean Metal Face lines thanks to his constant movement that produces that "WROOOM" sound 24/7. And his default voice (one from SSB4) is noticeably different from one he had in XC (its not as low and growling as it was before and it overall more serious). Just compare how he says "Die!" and "I'll slice you into pieces" in XC to how he says same lines in SSB4.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Looks great! It seems like Smash 4 is a lot more flexible in terms of adding character slots than Brawl is!

One question, what about the A.I of these custom fighters? How is it coded? Do you just code the Level 9 one or do all levels have to be coded seperately?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Looks great! It seems like Smash 4 is a lot more flexible in terms of adding character slots than Brawl is!

One question, what about the A.I of these custom fighters? How is it coded? Do you just code the Level 9 one or do all levels have to be coded seperately?
...Smash 4? What it has to do with this? If you don't mention it as something related to any of this, then yeah, it is easier to do that in Sm4sh, but what about actually loading stuff here?

I have no idea. I looked at the coding and bought a ticket to Nope train to F**kthiss**tville on next day. So, Ridley, K. Rool and Metal Face use Roy's, TLink and ROB's PM AIs. But i know that it is possible to code it very well. FifthCPU (and i think KingClubber) can do it. Just check this thing out:

You can visit FifthCPU's thread here: http://smashboards.com/threads/fifthcpus-custom-ai-discussion-workshop.418281

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
His shoulders are posed like that for few frames, but i can see the problem here. And Paeon K. Rool has small legs as well, but shoulders still are wider here, so...yeah.
Perhaps for Up Tilt, you can have K.Rool do a vertical swing upwards with his arm (as a swipe or punch)? Or perhaps have him bite up? Another idea would be to have him curl up into a ball as he jumps a few feet off the ground (based on his DK: Jungle Climber attack, where he bounces around the arena curled up as a ball).

Do you already have something planned for Up Smash? If not, the Uppercut punch he does to Chunky Kong in DK64 is an amazing candidate. I forgot if he spins around during/after the punch like a Shoryuken...
EDIT: Just found footage of the punch. Its not as impressive as I remembered it. Looks more like an Uptilt candidate, unless you animate it in a way that makes it look insanely powerful.

That would require remaking whole animation for both this and Side B, but it can be done. Its like this because of how original Side B animation looks like.
View attachment 93761
I just need to properly replicate that DKC1 animation without looking stiff.
What if you made him take a step forward as he throws the crown? Would that be a better transition on having both his feet face sideways?

It is possible. Would be more accurate too. But first, i'll need to see how it would look like with different animations. Animations K. Rool had in DKC1 are kinda stiff.
Thank you. Visually and aesthetically, I think it'd be more appealing :)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Perhaps for Up Tilt, you can have K.Rool do a vertical swing upwards with his arm (as a swipe or punch)? Or perhaps have him bite up? Another idea would be to have him curl up into a ball as he jumps a few feet off the ground (based on his DK: Jungle Climber attack, where he bounces around the arena curled up as a ball).
I can make it be an uppercut, Little Mac's Up Smash or that jump. Im fine with any of those, but latter one sounds weird.
Do you already have something planned for Up Smash? If not, the Uppercut punch he does to Chunky Kong in DK64 is an amazing candidate. I forgot if he spins around during/after the punch like a Shoryuken...
EDIT: Just found footage of the punch. Its not as impressive as I remembered it. Looks more like an Uptilt candidate, unless you animate it in a way that makes it look insanely powerful.
I don't have anything for Up Smash yet, so, i might be able to use that one. I just need to see it.
What if you made him take a step forward as he throws the crown? Would that be a better transition on having both his feet face sideways?
He already does it (not in the way you probably are thinking of though). But he goes into "fail" animation before attempting to throw the crown, so, we'll have to change that first.
so is his up tilt like R.O.B.s?
...i think it is..? I don't remember how it worked with that guy anymore. Its been a while since i had ROB in the roster.
how do you guys like my new profile picture
OH GOD.

Few minor things done for the other big guy when i got bored.
Custom metal textures and green claw trails for upgraded model:
00000000-104.png

Because Xenoblade Chronicles loves using textures for thin details like Mechon's gears, Metal Face looked weird with normal metal textures, so, i had to make custom textures for him.
Stocks and menu stuff for version with normal proportions:
RSBEPM-2.png

CSS shown here is for Melee Remastered, but there is one for PM. I just forgot to change it and that takes a while.
Metal Face spirit/memory from Memory Space:
00000000-107.png

Took 10 minutes to make. It has a different name, but spoilers. Just need to fix few things original model had. They aren't noticeable during gameplay, but still. Made this in case people won't like 10th recolor.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Right, so @PyotrLuzhin has finally figured out how to make BrawlEX and Project M compatible...which means that now we can put Ridley, K.Rool and Metal Face onto their own EX slots in PM now!

I imagine that will become the next step with Ridley.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
So Metal Face with a Metal Box.... Metal Metal Face? Metal^2 Face?

That aside, all this stuff looks super exciting. The wait's gonna be more than worth it!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Right, so @PyotrLuzhin has finally figured out how to make BrawlEX and Project M compatible...which means that now we can put Ridley, K.Rool and Metal Face onto their own EX slots in PM now!

I imagine that will become the next step with Ridley.
Good to know.
So Metal Face with a Metal Box.... Metal Metal Face? Metal^2 Face?

That aside, all this stuff looks super exciting. The wait's gonna be more than worth it!
Technically, its "Black Face", so, with metal box, he becomes "Metal Face". Makes more sense.

Hopefully it will be worth it.

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
I REALLY love the progress of Metal Face.
I REALLY want to try him out it seems like a very different PSA from all of the current ones on the Vault.

IROX568

Smash Cadet
Say by the way, I don't know if you mentioned this already or not, but I'm curious, where did you get the model for K. Rool?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Say by the way, I don't know if you mentioned this already or not, but I'm curious, where did you get the model for K. Rool?
Hephaestu- i mean Álvaro_WS made it for us. It originally was just a model he made, then optimized and fixed few things when (i think...not 100% sure) PseudoTypical asked for it or something like that.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I've been thinking of what Down Smash should be. I need stomp to be part of the moveset somehow, but Charizard already uses same thing for his Down Smash. How about making him use Blunderbuss (with either poisonous, freezing or stunning/paralyzing gas) for Down Smash and moving stomp to DAir? Limiting its use to BAir and Neutral B would be wrong when its all he uses in DKC2 and it does pretty much everything except for making (toasting?) toasts.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
You mean his butt-stomp? I was really hoping it could be both a down air and a down smash, if not a down special. You could design it differently though, you could implement shock-waves depending on how long he held it, give it specified range under his rump, maybe even ground an enemy...

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
I've been thinking of what Down Smash should be. I need stomp to be part of the moveset somehow, but Charizard already uses same thing for his Down Smash. How about making him use Blunderbuss (with either poisonous, freezing or stunning/paralyzing gas) for Down Smash and moving stomp to DAir? Limiting its use to BAir and Neutral B would be wrong when its all he uses in DKC2 and it does pretty much everything except for making (toasting?) toasts.
I think it would make more sense to have it shoot fire/explosions. But if it were to use gases then it should use freezing. The other two gases were actually slow and reverse gas which would fit better with a special move, but all of his special slots are used right now so that's not an option.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You mean his butt-stomp? I was really hoping it could be both a down air and a down smash, if not a down special. You could design it differently though, you could implement shock-waves depending on how long he held it, give it specified range under his rump, maybe even ground an enemy...
Yes. And that thing certainly would ground people.
I think it would make more sense to have it shoot fire/explosions. But if it were to use gases then it should use freezing. The other two gases were actually slow and reverse gas which would fit better with a special move, but all of his special slots are used right now so that's not an option.
Makes sense. I'll go for the freezing one then. Would be more useful too since poison won't do much and he never used it and you can't stuff anyone in the air. Freezing would be a nasty edgeguarding tool if done improperly (bye fastfallers and Yoshi), but we have beta testers for that. Besides, how many ice attacks are there in the game? And i mean those that actually freeze. Not sure how reverse gas could work with modding limitations though.

Last edited:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Yes. And that thing certainly would ground people.

Makes sense. I'll go for the freezing one then. Would be more useful too since poison won't do much and he never used it and you can't stuff anyone in the air. Freezing would be a nasty edgeguarding tool if done improperly (bye fastfallers and Yoshi), but we have beta testers for that. Besides, how many ice attacks are there in the game? And i mean those that actually freeze. Not sure how reverse gas could work with modding limitations though.
I always found the lack of Ice attacks disappointing. Which makes it sad that Samus can't use the ice beam for neutral B.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I always found the lack of Ice attacks disappointing. Which makes it sad that Samus can't use the ice beam for neutral B.
Yeah, she really should be using Ice Beam for Neutral B after beam switch in PM, but its probably something about coding or balancing that prevented this from happening. But Samus having no ice beam custom in 4 is worse.

Up Smash is done. Its a very powerful uppercut, but can hit only those who are in front of him and its slow. Not Warlock Punch kind of slow, but 62 frames is long, with only 4 active frames. Will show screenshot of it later. Don't have enough time right now.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
And here is the screenshot:
00000000-110.png

Now K. Rool can have his revenge for what DK did in DKC2. 3 hits are enough to KO Mario on any stage unless ceilling or wall is in the way. Arm looks weird where it connects to shoulder, but it doesn't stays like this long enough to notice and i don't think i'll leave his rig as it is right now when i'll release this guy.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
it doesn't sound like a good move, 62 frames long, active for 4, and killing mario in three hits is not too impressive. i cant judge until its released though

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Just remember that K. Rool is going to have three projectiles.

Top Bottom