• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad habbits playing with new players.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
One of the biggest problems I have in smash is when I play with new players that I stop thinking and reading and just play and mindlessly do stuff.

Recently my sister started playing smash with me and shes been getting better. But as King once said "Don't use mindgames on people who don't have any" this has made problems for my game when facing other players and I take much longer to warm up and start focusing on the enemys movements instead of my own. My mind draws blanks a lot of the time until I get into it.

This is actually making me worse in some ways when I play smash with her. :dizzy:

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
This happens to me too.

Somehow my friend was able to take 3 stocks off my fox in a 5 stock match by spamming Link's upB... >.<

But then again, my tech skills were recovering from brawl, so I kept failing to waveshine... But still.

Then I picked jiggly and punished him every time he missed an upB. :)

Leech

Smash Journeyman
Yeah i have the same problem except i do it all the time.. except at tourneys because im concentrated 100% at them..

Zodiac

Smash Master
One of the biggest problems I have in smash is when I play with new players that I stop thinking and reading and just play and mindlessly do stuff.

Recently my sister started playing smash with me and shes been getting better. But as King once said "Don't use mindgames on people who don't have any" this has made problems for my game when facing other players and I take much longer to warm up and start focusing on the enemys movements instead of my own. My mind draws blanks a lot of the time until I get into it.

This is actually making me worse in some ways when I play smash with her. :dizzy:
Well theres a secret trick to fighting those people, you seriously just need to play on savage instinct. Seriously just go in with the full intent of bringing down your opponent and comboing them mercilessly, dont think about mindgames or anything just go. go and play on sheer instinct. for that type of player anyway.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I have this problem somewhat.

Without fail, first stock+first match of the day, my tech skill is almost zero. I can't waveshine until I get used to the rhythm again, I can't l-cancel until I miss my first 2-3 cancels. Sometimes I can't even perfect wavedash... It's just because human fingers can only remember how to move as fast as melee moves for so long. When you first turn on the game, your fingers have got to warm up for a few minutes before you can start pulling those beast combos that you remember yourself performing successfully the day before...

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Well theres a secret trick to fighting those people, you seriously just need to play on savage instinct. Seriously just go in with the full intent of bringing down your opponent and comboing them mercilessly, dont think about mindgames or anything just go. go and play on sheer instinct. for that type of player anyway.
This is what I always do lol. I have so much fox vs marth combo footage.

But some of you missed what I'm trying to explain here, I'm in no way a bad player, I guess it's something a player once pointed out.

He would always go into a match and be concentrated on out-thinking the opponent because he would assume the opponent is thinking to.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well if your still thinking about it.

If you don't know a player well enough yet play your first match and maybe the next few very carefully.

If your marth, space your aerials and don't go for as many grabs unless you know you can get it.

If your fox camp more often.

etc etc

Whatever I think you get the idea. Play safely and don't like dash attack thinking your opponent might try to SHL or whatever. Pay attention to your opponent and learn their tendencies.

If you see them smash when you run at them just run and shield or start to DD near them.

If they roll behind you too much run at them turn and grab whatever.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Watch any of my youtube vids. You'll clearly see I don't need that sort of advice (No offense I appreciate the help and all)

But what I'm trying to say is after playing with lower players my mental state of smash becomes much less capable after spending to much time just d!cking around with rentless attacks.

Anyway nevermind thread.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I don't see how you can have any problems against lower level players playing safe.

I play reckless as hell with dumb characters and win.

Like I go mario and spam f-air and win.

What your saying sorta baffles me.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well it should be your main approach to a new player. You can't go in to a match thinking they won't know what they are doing because you haven't heard of them.

You have to see their habits and you will realize eventually if they are good players or not.

Usually I just go marth on people I don't know in pools and just CG them cuz most players go spacie on me.

Puffin

Smash Apprentice
This happens to me too.

Somehow my friend was able to take 3 stocks off my fox in a 5 stock match by spamming Link's upB... >.<

But then again, my tech skills were recovering from brawl, so I kept failing to waveshine... But still.

Then I picked jiggly and punished him every time he missed an upB. :)
Ugh. I have recently had similar experiences against a Marth who used forward and up tilts the entire match without even moving. I think I was the Puff. Anyway, after I readjusted from Brawl and a long time of no Smash at all, then got adjusted in terms of mindgames/lack thereof, I demolished him. Makes you feel so stupid when you... Play stupidly.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I was doing horrible against a noobish player the other day BECAUSE I was on auto-pilot doing random agressive stuff as Falco. After a while, I noticed he was just waiting for mistakes and punishing me, so I decided to add some petit mindgames to mess him up. After he was out of ideas and confused, I went back to auto-pilot with my only thought was watching for his campy set up.

It was easy at that point. :p

I don't exactly know what you mean. Either you're asking for advice on how to beat a player that doesn't recognize threatening situations and therefore is unaffected by mindgames
-Or-
You're saying that by playing her without thinking is making you a worse player overall. In that case... ummm... find someone new to play against? That or try and make her better. That's how I trained, by setting others on the right path in hopes they become a rival.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
This is a typical trap that you will see in any kind of sport, game, or competition. Just remember to always play everyone like they are the 15 time defending world champ and you should do fine.

puckgood

Smash Journeyman
Why do you care, stalker? Don't make me sic the po
Well, the thing is that people like your little sis play completely differently than the 15 time defending champ. Different techniques apply. I have this very same problem, only on a larger scale; I don't own the game, and my friend who does refuses to read any guides and hates AT's. So I try to become better by watching vids and reading guides, but all the guides and vids are for fighting bleeping KEN. My friend consistently beats me even though I know a lot more and am better educated in smash. I just can't stand to lower myself to button mashing level, even if it would help. So I feel your pain. Sorry about the rant by the way.

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman
I felt I wasn't the only one with this problem
I find it kind of pointless to play them using AT's except for L-canceled Arials and
Comboing is still viable, but just be more primal against these opponents
and don't go easy on em otherwise you'll hear "You can't beat me again!"
It's irritating to me...

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Well, the thing is that people like your little sis play completely differently than the 15 time defending champ. Different techniques apply. I have this very same problem, only on a larger scale; I don't own the game, and my friend who does refuses to read any guides and hates AT's. So I try to become better by watching vids and reading guides, but all the guides and vids are for fighting bleeping KEN. My friend consistently beats me even though I know a lot more and am better educated in smash. I just can't stand to lower myself to button mashing level, even if it would help. So I feel your pain. Sorry about the rant by the way.
Learn to defeat him under what ever circumstance it takes. Some of the techniques and mind games are a result of a previously discovered technique and/or mindgame. It's sort of like that saying, you must learn to walk before you can run. While that's not true with Melee, you need to learn more basic strategies before you understand the use of advanced ones.

If this means you must stand there and charge a f-smash, so be it. Eventually, you're opponent should learn how to get around it, and then you can start doing more practical things until finally, you can pull the fun tricks out of the bag. Train your opponent.

okiyama

Smash Ace
I have had to play against bad people for a while and what happened to me was:
Abuse of SHFFL raised, it confuses them due to the speed of it.
Less grabs, no need when you're shffls are so quick
VERY agressive, this is my biggest problem and I still can't shake it, playing bad people doesn't make you defensive because they have such a poor defense that you can destroy it immediately everytime and own them offensivly.
This is just what I observed, and I was using fox BTW

Top Bottom