• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Automatic L-Cancelling Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If it would make some characters easier it would expose the for what they are if they are too strong if they are suddenly easier to pick up.

And yes some things are only possible if you don't L-Cancel, those are very fringe and would ask is it worth preserving for this fringe and rare situations where it matters?

Is that better than to exclude people trying to get into Project M and add a tech that doesn't really add depth on a whole? Why is making a gap for people to play the real game that important?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So I tried a few matches with auto L-Cancel on and ****s whack yo. Because I'm not L-Canceling, my mind is expecting slow gameplay, but my eyes are seeing fast. It's disorienting. I got used to it eventually, but geez.

I have to say, it's really helpful for when you want to focus on fundamentals, like real fundamentals.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I can handle the truth. I care more about the truth than I do being right. If I am wrong, then challenge the things I have said. Give me an objective explanation of the depth and the degree of depth that is being added to the game with manual L-canceling and how it's significant enough to warrant its inclusion in the game. If it's subjective, explain why your subjective point of view is so important and significant enough to invalidate all others to the point of the mechanic's legitimate inclusion in the game. You can't just quote me, tell me that I can't handle the truth, and then tell me I'm wrong without telling me why. The "why" part is the truth (or at least an attempt at it). Show me the truth which I supposedly cannot handle. Once I am shown the truth and it makes logical sense, I will change my position almost immediately.

Also, you're right. Having L-canceling on special moves would make things more consistent. But when you make a bad mechanic (bad, based on what I've argued) consistent for other moves, you are making the game even worse by arbitrarily raising the skill floor even more with no objectively measurable benefit in return.

Edit: Also, something that doesn't seem to have been discussed much is the real life health/medical complications involved with L-canceling. For some people (including myself), I would argue that manual L-canceling makes people at a heighten risk for complications such as carpal tunnel, tendinitis, and/or arthritis, all of which are very bad things and can be induced by the repetitive motion of certain button presses such as an L-cancel button. Even if you can make a successful argument in favor for manual L-canceling in theory, how do you justify it in practice when some people are exposed to increased risk of injury?
  1. The timings for L-canceling on shield, p-shield, hit, and whiff are all different. All top-level players will tell you this.
  2. Even top-level players miss L-canceling enough times for it to be significant. As I've said a thousand times before, this is a service to the opposing player.
  3. As a corollary to the above, balancing through human error is one of the most difficult things to do, but one of the best and most ingenious things to do. What makes PM and Melee unique from other fighting games is that others balance through limits, making games like Street Fighter 4 a slow piece of crap (seriously, it's absolute trash competitively). But PM and Melee balance through this freedom allowing for human error. The reason why so many people make basketball analogies is because PM is one of the few games that allows for the full range of human reaction and error. Sure, it wouldn't apply to other fighting games, but then again, other fighting games don't even compare.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
As a corollary to the above, balancing through human error is one of the most difficult things to do, but one of the best and most ingenious things to do. What makes PM and Melee unique from other fighting games is that others balance through limits, making games like Street Fighter 4 a slow piece of crap (seriously, it's absolute trash competitively). But PM and Melee balance through this freedom allowing for human error. The reason why so many people make basketball analogies is because PM is one of the few games that allows for the full range of human reaction and error. Sure, it wouldn't apply to other fighting games, but then again, other fighting games don't even compare.
Comments like these make me question whether someone has ever actually played or watched a fighting game. Not to mention, SFIV is bad competitively because it's slow? Why is slow bad? And not all fighters are slow. Anime fighters are notorious for being fast paced and super aggressive.
Smash is cool but don't act like it's everything else is beneath it.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Comments like these make me question whether someone has ever actually played or watched a fighting game. Not to mention, SFIV is bad competitively because it's slow? Why is slow bad? And not all fighters are slow. Anime fighters are notorious for being fast paced and super aggressive.
Smash is cool but don't act like it's everything else is beneath it.
What do you call this?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I see your one match and raise you a chudat

You can't just bring up one match and dismiss an entire game. The GFs at CEO were way different than EVO's. Besides, USFIV literally came out a week, if not two before EVO. Sure it was a glorified patch, but not everyone was familiar with the game. But enough of that, I don't really play SFIV anyways (Guilty Gear Xrd).

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
If automatic L cancelling became the standard, I would consider playing Project M competitively. But since I don't like manual L cancelling and don't want to invest potentially years of my life into making sure I always L cancel 100% of the time, I have way more incentive to just stick with Smash 4 competitively.

The comparisons between auto vs. manual L cancelling in Project M and customs vs. no customs in Smash 4 isn't really a valid comparison since the metagame for Smash 4 is completely different to the vanilla metagame. Having L cancelling set to on or off in Project M hardly affects anything at the highest levels of play.

On a different note, it would be nice if there was some way I could turn on automatic L cancelling in training mode or other modes in the game. But adding this option to the main versus mode is a good first step.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
What do you call this?

Rose being stupid aside, I raise you Armada vs Hungrybox. Puff against any floaty. Peach against any floaty. Samus against any floaty.

You wanna talk about game pacing as though every match is fast-paced, and it's not the case universally even at the top level. L-cancelling has little to nothing to do with game pacing. There are mechanics that have much more to do with that, and you know this.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yeah, Jiggs vs Y. Link happened at the very same tournament which is one of the slowest matches in the entire game and Hbox pulled off a 2-loss deficit comeback.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
  1. The timings for L-canceling on shield, p-shield, hit, and whiff are all different. All top-level players will tell you this.
  2. Even top-level players miss L-canceling enough times for it to be significant. As I've said a thousand times before, this is a service to the opposing player.
  3. As a corollary to the above, balancing through human error is one of the most difficult things to do, but one of the best and most ingenious things to do. What makes PM and Melee unique from other fighting games is that others balance through limits, making games like Street Fighter 4 a slow piece of crap (seriously, it's absolute trash competitively). But PM and Melee balance through this freedom allowing for human error. The reason why so many people make basketball analogies is because PM is one of the few games that allows for the full range of human reaction and error. Sure, it wouldn't apply to other fighting games, but then again, other fighting games don't even compare.
1) Okay
2) Depending on the MU, how do you know the defending player will (or be able to) react and punish every time the offensive player misses an L-Cancel?
3) Every game takes human error into account in one way or another, how does this make Melee and PM unique from other fighters? Every USFIV game isn't as slow as the MU you posted. Why do you feel other fighters are free or have limited human error?

King of Fighters is a fighter with 1f of Landing Lag iirc, and it's one of the more offensive games out there. Explain why it isn't as safe as you imagine PM would be if landing lag was cut in half.

P.S. I will admit we started comparing other fruit to oranges right now.

Last edited:

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
(Note: this is not an argument for lcanceling, but I thnk I have found the closest analogy to it. Sorry rawkobo for another analogy)

Please read the entire analogy before picking it apart, bit by bit.

Ok so with football season coming up in a couple months, and fantasy drafting just around the corner I think I have found an analogy to describe l-canceling. This analogy is passing. Please keep reading for me to explain!

I am NOT talking about the passing game as a whole (schemes, reads, etc.). I am literally talking about the throwing of the ball from QB to receiver. Everyone wants the ball to be thrown accurately 100% of the time, just like l-canceling should be done 100% of the time. If the ball is not thrown accurately, many things can happen:

The receiver could still catch the ball ( you still continue your combo/momentum/whatever despite missing your l-cancel)

The ball could be dropped (it could be dropped when it's accurately thrown as well), or tipped by defender (You miss an l-cancel, your momentum is stopped, but you aren't punished due to whatever lol)

The ball could be intercepted, possibly even a pick 6 (You miss an l-cancel, and you get punished for it, possibly even losing a stock).

The fact is that the goal is to pass the ball accurately 100% of the time to avoid punishment. If the passer puts the ball in the right spot, as long as he read the defense correctly and the receiver is open (just like in smash bros with reading your opponent and not just doing poorly spaced aerials), you shouldn't get punished with a turnover, or a dropped pass (dropped pass/nothing coming of the lcancel can still happen).

Throwing the ball is like lcanceling in their respective sport

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Your analogy on passing does not properly correlate the two. Passing is much more like using an aerial than it is like L-canceling. All of the same factors go into when you choose to do it or whether you choose to do it. It is precisely for this reason that passing is not comparable to L-canceling because passing alone is a decision while L-canceling is not. L-canceling is the arbitrary asterisk tied to the decision of using an aerial. It serves no other purpose than that.

Please stop using sports analogies.

Last edited:

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
Your analogy on passing does not properly correlate the two. Passing is much more like using an aerial than it is like L-canceling. All of the same factors go into when you choose to do it or whether you choose to do it. It is precisely for this reason that passing is not comparable to L-canceling because passing alone is a decision while L-canceling is not. L-canceling is the arbitrary asterisk tied to the decision of using an aerial. It serves no other purpose than that.

Please stop using sports analogies.
lol, you didn't even read the whole thing. You read the first sentence. I literally said I am NOT talking about the decision making part (reading the defense, etc.). I am specifically talking about throwing the ball. Nothing else. Just throwing it. Not thinking about who should I throw it to. I am talking about throwing the ball from point a to point b.

Edit: I also said at the top that this wasn't an argument for l-canceling. LOL, so stop acting like I was trying to bring up an analogy to defend it.

Edit2: maybe I should've been more clear. Passing the ball is a choice, passing it accurately is a 100% need, and THAT is what i'm correlating l-canceling to. My fault. forget about the above statements.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
so auto lcancelling is like throwing the football in a random direction and having it appear in the hands of the receiver with no interference or thought?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
lol, you didn't even read the whole thing. You read the first sentence. I literally said I am NOT talking about the decision making part (reading the defense, etc.). I am specifically talking about throwing the ball. Nothing else. Just throwing it. Not thinking about who should I throw it to. I am talking about throwing the ball from point a to point b.

Edit: I also said at the top that this wasn't an argument for l-canceling. LOL, so stop acting like I was trying to bring up an analogy to defend it.

Edit2: maybe I should've been more clear. Passing the ball is a choice, passing it accurately is a 100% need, and THAT is what i'm correlating l-canceling to. My fault. forget about the above statements.
Stop making analogies, you're not good at them.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I wonder how long it will be before someone makes a legitimate analogy for L-Canceling, it's been years or something. It's almost like there isn't one to be made.

4tlas

Smash Lord
(Note: this is not an argument for lcanceling, but I thnk I have found the closest analogy to it. Sorry rawkobo for another analogy)

Please read the entire analogy before picking it apart, bit by bit.

Ok so with football season coming up in a couple months, and fantasy drafting just around the corner I think I have found an analogy to describe l-canceling. This analogy is passing. Please keep reading for me to explain!

I am NOT talking about the passing game as a whole (schemes, reads, etc.). I am literally talking about the throwing of the ball from QB to receiver. Everyone wants the ball to be thrown accurately 100% of the time, just like l-canceling should be done 100% of the time. If the ball is not thrown accurately, many things can happen:

The receiver could still catch the ball ( you still continue your combo/momentum/whatever despite missing your l-cancel)

The ball could be dropped (it could be dropped when it's accurately thrown as well), or tipped by defender (You miss an l-cancel, your momentum is stopped, but you aren't punished due to whatever lol)

The ball could be intercepted, possibly even a pick 6 (You miss an l-cancel, and you get punished for it, possibly even losing a stock).

The fact is that the goal is to pass the ball accurately 100% of the time to avoid punishment. If the passer puts the ball in the right spot, as long as he read the defense correctly and the receiver is open (just like in smash bros with reading your opponent and not just doing poorly spaced aerials), you shouldn't get punished with a turnover, or a dropped pass (dropped pass/nothing coming of the lcancel can still happen).

Throwing the ball is like lcanceling in their respective sport

You still choose whether or not to throw the ball, when to throw the ball, and where to throw the ball, and there are multiple different options that all qualify as an accurate pass.

If you want to compare the physical act of throwing the ball to the physical act of pressing the button, sure, whatever. But the physical act isn't what's under scrutiny. Nobody is saying that L-cancelling is bad because its a button, and that it should be a quarter-turn on the control stick or we should make people shout into a mic as they land or something. Yes you still have to physically throw the ball well in football just as you have to press the right buttons in Smash. But here's the catch (heh, punny): Football COULD be played with a tennis ball, and that would change how you have to throw. No spiral needed. That's sorta like removing L-cancelling or other buttons. Oh, now the physical act of throwing the football (tennis ball) is different, but the whole game remains the same! All the strategy, all the rules, everything but the physical performance remains the same. And Smash is a videogame, not a sport. The physical performance does not matter, only the decision-making does. If you want to play a fighting game where your physical performance matters, you have everything from other fighting games to real life fighting to choose from!

Stop with the sports. This is not equivalent to any sport. If you want to draw comparisons between sports, that's fine. But Smash is not a sport and thus no part of a sport should be directly analogous to Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Warning Received
Stop with the sports. This is not equivalent to any sport. If you want to draw comparisons between sports, that's fine. But Smash is not a sport and thus no part of a sport should be directly analogous to Smash.
Actually, the fact that PM can be considered equivalent to sports at all is a sign of its superiority.

Just because l-cancelling is not like other fighting games doesn't mean it's not bad. It just means that the anti-l-cancelling alliance is a bunch of sheep who can't think for themselves.

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100

1. Yes they are different, but how do these things significantly increase the game's depth for the player utilizing them? Yes, they have to learn a different timing, but how does the depth expand beyond that and into the inner workings of the game? This argument is about how manual L-canceling increases depth in-game. Details about different timings and inputs deal with depth in a practice and execution sense, characteristics that are independent and external from depth in-game via a game design standpoint. They are independent because based on game design theory, increasing the skill floor (out-of-game depth from practice and hard work) does not always increase in-game depth (depth from increased option pools and decision trees). You have to identify how the increased difficulty (in this case, learning different L-canceling timings) increases in-game depth and opens the player using it to increased options and decisions and compare this to other standards such as auto L-canceling and determine what is gained and lost. When you do this, you see that the only thing you gain from manual L-canceling are just button presses that serve no other purpose than to just be pressed to accomplish only one effect, an effect that can easily be done by making it automatic.

2. You can't use the failure to execute the mechanic as evidence for how the mechanic adds depth to the game. That's only evidence of how NOT using the mechanic correctly adds depth. We are arguing for how the use of manual L-canceling itself adds depth, not the lack of. You also can't use the experiences of the opponent as evidence for how manual L-canceling adds depth. If it adds depth, you should show how it benefits the player who uses it because that shows how that depth is applied to the most important person that matters: the player. Telling me how the incorrect usage of the mechanic benefits the opponent instead of the player is arguing about something completely different and is a red herring argument.

But let's say that this is relevant to the argument. Then how is it that a mistake of the proper utilization of the mechanic and the opponent netting a punish for it indicative of the mechanic providing depth? I could sneeze during the match and miss my wavedash and get punished and comboed to death. Is that sneeze evidence of how wavedashing adds depth to the game because the mistake caused me to die? How is human error, something that can be explained by external factors such as lack of practice/experience, being sick, being heckled in the crowd, etc. evidence of an in-game mechanic's inherent depth? There is no logical association here. Just because you practiced a certain mechanic a thousand times and a noob can't even get it once and you trash on the noob because of that difference, does not mean that the mechanic you are utilizing has inherent in-game depth. You are just abusing the high skill floor that separates you and the other player. There is also no logical association between mechanical mistakes and in-game depth at top level, too. Just because Armada missed an L-cancel and Mango converted that into a kill, does that tell you that L-canceling has depth or does it tell you that Armada simply just made a mistake, which he could have done for any other move for any other reason?

3. Game developers definitely take into account the potential for human error when designing difficulty levels and hard to execute decisions. But what the also do is make sure that in increasing such difficulty, there is also a proportional reward for getting it right that significantly adds to the gaming experience when compared to all other available alternatives. Manual L-canceling fails at this requirement and allows players to be punished for making mistakes and not to get significantly rewarded for doing it right in-game when compared to other alternative strategies like auto L-canceling. You could say, "but reducing the lag for manually pressing the button IS the reward, therefore it adds depth", but this is why you cross-check it with alternative solutions because when you compare it to auto L-canceling, you see that auto L-canceling does all the things manual L-canceling does except requiring a repetitive input that has to be pressed nearly 100% of the time an aerial is done.

And ah, the basketball analogy. There are actually very interesting parallels to be made from basketball and Melee in terms of the free-flowingness of both games. But one common comparison when it comes to this debate is that manual L-canceling in Melee/P:M is like dribbling a ball in basketball in that even though it's something you have to do all the time, it adds immeasurable depth to the game in all the opportunities that arise from dribbling. Therefore, L-canceling has significant depth. I don't know if you were alluding to this argument, I don't want to make a strawman argument here, but I want to assume for now that you were. since I feel like I've seen it a lot before. As such, I will show you why this is a false equivalence.

Dribbling adds depth to the game of basketball that simply holding the ball or having an automatic ball dribbler from the future can not give at all. When you dribble a ball, you gain access to a lot of maneuverability options with your body and the ball, you can do creative passes, you can cross-up your opponent, you can play dribble mindgames, etc. Automating this process takes away all these things from the option pool and completely restricts decision trees.

What depth is being added by manually L-canceling? The mere act of manually L-canceling (not the effect of the L-cancel, just the manual press alone) does not provide ANY options that would easily classify as in-game depth. Manual L-canceling does not add any offensive/defensive options, spacing/zoning options, punishment options, combo ability, edgeguard ability, mix-up opportunities, etc. When you compare it to its automatic variant, the only difference is the repetitive button you're pressing. All of the other aspects of depth do not get affected AT ALL.

In basketball, taking away manual dribbling or all dribbling takes away all of those decision tress and option pools that could have been made, meaning a significant drop in player experience. In Melee/P:M, replacing manual L-canceling with an automated variant only removes the physical burden. Nothing else about the in-game is being compromised or affected, therefore such comparisons between dribbling and manual L-canceling are a false equivalence.

Also, you have not really tackle the points I made in my initial argument. Do you agree that we need an objective method to determine and gauge the value of depth? Do you agree that methods based on individual skill and hard work are subjective and irrelevant to in-game depth? Do you agree that if we do need an objective method, game design theory is one of the best ones? I think it would advance the discussion if these things were addressed.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
1. Yes they are different, but how do these things significantly increase the game's depth for the player utilizing them? Yes, they have to learn a different timing,
well, there's actually not any real different timing. the attacker can just spam the shield input the entire way down as there's no fail window.

not arguing against your other points or your basis overall, just this one doesn't work very well.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Actually, the fact that PM can be considered equivalent to sports at all is a sign of its superiority.
This would require actually substantiating this point instead of making a baseless claim. You keep saying that Melee/PM are "on another level above fighting games" but you have yet to provide any convincing arguments. It would help a lot if you knew even an ounce about how fighting games work.

a bunch of sheep who can't think for themselves.
rofl the irony

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
well, there's actually not any real different timing. the attacker can just spam the shield input the entire way down as there's no fail window.

not arguing against your other points or your basis overall, just this one doesn't work very well.
Oh, my bad. I was thinking there was one. I was confusing how you can spam techs in 64 vs the fail window for techs in Melee/P:M and thinking they were related to L-canceling. Lmao, so even this point is false. Come on, Quillion. You need better examples than this.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
This would require actually substantiating this point instead of making a baseless claim. You keep saying that Melee/PM are "on another level above fighting games" but you have yet to provide any convincing arguments. It would help a lot if you knew even an ounce about how fighting games work.
I'm certain it's going to be the typical, Melee/PM has so much freedom, other fighting games don't have freedom. It's generally the argument I hear.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I wonder how long it will be before someone makes a legitimate analogy for L-Canceling, it's been years or something. It's almost like there isn't one to be made.
I don't really care about L-canceling one way or another. If it is on, ok fine. If it is off, ok fine. I'll play either way.

I just wanna know when people will start using better analogies for it.

Like, as an example, Gears of War perfect reloading mechanic. In concept it is the same damned thing as L-cancel (just with bigger reward and bigger risk). When you go to reload in the games you get this little bar the shows up in the corner under the ammo hud with a line moving from left to right with a small area of a different shade of color, and an even smaller shaded area, from the full bar and if you press the reload button again when that line hits the shaded area you get a faster reload, and if you hit the even smaller area you get double damage for a short amount of time as well for the ammo amount reloaded, and if you miss it your reload time gets doubled (if you don't do anything it goes normal length). It can be found in Gears of War 1-3 and single player of Judgment (multiplier of Judgment doesn't have it though, and that, among other differences, cause a big fissure among the community, I'd say even worse then Smash tbh lol) and is basically the exact same thing in concept as L-canceling.

If you want to use an analogy at the very least do it right.
People just ignore the perfectly fine analogy I provided on page 3. :drflip:

Really though.

There isn't really a better analogy to L-cancel then Perfect Reloading in Gears of War. I is, effectively, the same ****ing thing. You never not want to do it (there aren't even fringe instances where you might wanna miss it) but just with a bigger risk and reward factor. If you Perfect Reload correctly your reload time gets halved AND you get double the damage for the ammo you reloaded however if you miss-time it your gun gets jammed and your reloading time gets doubles (doing nothing is regular reload time with no bonus). It is the same exact thing as L-cancel but with a bigger risk and reward factor but there is no true "thought" to it as, just like L-cancel, you always want to get the Perfect Reload.

AND the analogy goes even further because the most recent game in the series, Judgment, took out Perfect Reloading for multiplayer aspect of the game and that, plus other changes to the formula of the game, caused a big rift in the community (honestly think it's even bigger then the rift in the Smash community).

I provide a perfect analogy for people to use because I'm tired of all the horrible analogies being thrown around but people just keep ignoring the analogy I gave to them to use for free.

:dr-_-:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It's because the analogy doesn't support L-canceling.

Then again, that's precisely the point. There really isn't a solid analogy that supports it begin with.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm certain it's going to be the typical, Melee/PM has so much freedom, other fighting games don't have freedom. It's generally the argument I hear.
People want Zelda to copy games like Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, and Witcher for a reason, you know? There must be at least a few among you.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It's because the analogy doesn't support L-canceling.

Then again, that's precisely the point. There really isn't a solid analogy that supports it begin with.
The analogy doesn't go against it either.

But that is something people don't seem to really realize about analogies. They aren't meant to be used as a supporting argument or as a counter-argument. It simply suppose to be used a comparison, if it exists, to show that something like it exists elsewhere, but analogies never really support or go against an argument. An analogy is a comparison to show that something exists, in concept, somewhere else and not an argument.

Bu eh. People don't really seem to realize this.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
People want Zelda to copy games like Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, and Witcher for a reason, you know? There must be at least a few among you.
Well, that would be hypocritical, because if anything, L-cancelling is copying Melee. There must be sheep among your camp in this analogy.

But that would make your accusation bad, wouldn't it?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
People just ignore the perfectly fine analogy I provided on page 3. :drflip:

Really though.

There isn't really a better analogy to L-cancel then Perfect Reloading in Gears of War. I is, effectively, the same ****ing thing. You never not want to do it (there aren't even fringe instances where you might wanna miss it) but just with a bigger risk and reward factor. If you Perfect Reload correctly your reload time gets halved AND you get double the damage for the ammo you reloaded however if you miss-time it your gun gets jammed and your reloading time gets doubles (doing nothing is regular reload time with no bonus). It is the same exact thing as L-cancel but with a bigger risk and reward factor but there is no true "thought" to it as, just like L-cancel, you always want to get the Perfect Reload.

AND the analogy goes even further because the most recent game in the series, Judgment, took out Perfect Reloading for multiplayer aspect of the game and that, plus other changes to the formula of the game, caused a big rift in the community (honestly think it's even bigger then the rift in the Smash community).

I provide a perfect analogy for people to use because I'm tired of all the horrible analogies being thrown around but people just keep ignoring the analogy I gave to them to use for free.

:dr-_-:
The analogy doesn't work because you get punished for attempting and failing a Perfect Reload, whereas there is no punishment to attempting and failing an L-Cancel.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The analogy doesn't work because you get punished for attempting and failing a Perfect Reload, whereas there is no punishment to attempting and failing an L-Cancel.
I'm calling bull****.

You do to get punished for attempting and missing and L-cancel, it just isn't as pronounced as in Gears of War since the punishment is the same as simply not doing the input. But the punishment for missing it is still there nonetheless. Perfect Reload has a bigger risk/reward ration. That's it. everything else is effectively the same between the two in that you never not want to do either of them and that there is no thought process varying them or anything like that, It is simply do, with proper timing, or get punished.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
I'm calling bull****.

You do to get punished for attempting and missing and L-cancel, it just isn't as pronounced as in Gears of War since the punishment is the same as simply not doing the input. But the punishment for missing it is still there nonetheless. Perfect Reload has a bigger risk/reward ration. That's it. everything else is effectively the same between the two in that you never not want to do either of them and that there is no thought process varying them or anything like that, It is simply do, with proper timing, or get punished.
Well, actually, @ Strong Badam Strong Badam has a point, because if the punishment was there regardless of hitting or missing the L-cancel, then is it really the L-cancel that the punishment is associated with, or is it the misspaced, whiffed aerial?

In that way, it makes L-cancelling seem even less significant, because it provides neither gain nor loss.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
but, if you were going to get punished for missing an lcancel, the opponent would've been using that punishment, regardless. you can't react to a missed lcancel, there aren't any aerials that have enough landing lag to incorporate human reaction time into even 7frame shield grab from the stimulus of "there was no white flash".

that means that the punish would've been planned out beforehand and executed, not knowing whether the lcancel had happened or not. there's no doubled landing lag and an indicator that can be reacted to for missing the lcancel (and even then, a lot of moves would still probably sit under human reaction time, when incorporating time for oos options).

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm calling bull****.

You do to get punished for attempting and missing and L-cancel, it just isn't as pronounced as in Gears of War since the punishment is the same as simply not doing the input.
It's not a punishment if it's exactly the same as never doing it in the first place.

Edit: I should really read. There's already two posts that said the same thing.

Last edited:

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
you guys do realize that my analogy has nothing to do with arguing for, or against l-canceling correct? Also, I literally said that decision when and where to throw the ball is not part of the l-canceling analogy, but once that is decided by reading the defense properly and finding the open receiver, then it is a matter of throwing the ball accurately. 100% of the time you want the ball to be accurate. Everything else is independent from how accurate the ball is, just like l-canceling is independent of aerials, fastfalling, reading, etc.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
then what was the point of the analogy? to illustrate something that's already generally agreed upon without further illuminating another nuance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom