• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Smash Discussion

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by Cronos_Rainbow:
Cella cried on the plane BTW, she missed you lot already.
aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. *Plays Violin*

The Western invasion huh. If we can pull together enough cash, we may be able to pull it off. However, since none of us have jobs, it may have to wait till next year. In the meantime, Josh has begun to plan monthly tournaments for the perth players. With the people that played in the Eastern Invasion, that makes 8 and josh says he located 2 others. Monthly tournaments should be fun. What do you think perth players?

Em: Very funny picture, i like how jon was coloured in as Captian Falcon. Where is the one of Shaz teching off the wall?

Im in homeroom at school at the moment. God its boring.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rematch Ryan on Kanto. Ganondorf vs Yoshi. (I REFUSE TO BE OWNED)
I would like to quote Cubed64 at this point - awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww *Plays Violin*

But, seriously, I would love a rematch with all of you (or in Em's case, a non-re-match)

Oh, and try to chase up Josh if you haven't seen his edited group picture yet... It's rather good IMO.

I love uni... I don't have to go in today till 12:00. Excellent...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by Cubed64
Josh has begun to plan monthly tournaments for the perth players. With the people that played in the Eastern Invasion, that makes 8 and josh says he located 2 others. Monthly tournaments should be fun. What do you think perth players?
\
Count me in! But what pics are you talking about? Where are they? I wanna see.......

BTW, nice sig jon. I wish I'd won it.....

Pwnage

Smash Rookie
Monthly tournaments should be fun. What do you think perth players?
Not a bad idea at all... a bit more practice and a pinch of fairy dust and next time the tables will turn!!

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Dont give me any lip Ryan, we all saw what happened to you on the Yoshi level. You lucked out on the left side of Kanto thats all. Still, I was beaten fairly. ;) Kudos.

RE Bios: Just so I dont have to explain it to you all individually, this is exactly what I want. Your bio that covers the normal you. It must be at LEAST 300 words long. It can be up to 10,000 if you want, I dont mind. You do not have to complete the fake bios of 'evil you' and 'gay you' but if you choose to write them yourselves then you have total control of exactly how gay or evil it is. Remember to have fun with it. If you only do the normal bio, I will complete the evil and gay ones. Likely as they are, to be amusing, I wont hold back, so it seems to be in your own best interest to write these also. Normal bios must be truthful.

Glenn, I look forward to seeing you advance past the first round next we meet. Keep practising, but remember, the computer sucks. Train as often as you can with you friends. Human opposition, is, after all, what you will fight in a tournament. Not a bunch of cheap jerks who willingly walk into full charged smashes. Thats the level 9 way. ;)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by SabreAnt
Normal bios must be truthful.
Here that Josh? It means you can't say that you are the best in Australia.:p Kupo, you gotta put that pic in your sig. I'll have to use it in the caption game too! Meheheheheheh.:demon:

Richaod

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone. Haven't posted for a while. But anyway... Nice tourney you guys had there. Can't wait to see the vids.

Anyway, how many of you use the DC++ Hub? It seriously owns. I recently realised my digital camera can film 15-second soundless movies, so I might get a 1-stock match onto the net. :p

Waiting until we get a digital camcorder... And OMG I have a level 134 Parasect in Crystal Version. Go search it up.

Calvo

Smash Rookie
Hey people, I just found these forums and then stumble onto an australian tournament thread. It's like my world was turned upside down, I didn't know these things existed at all, let alone in australia :)

I was just backtracking through some of these pages and noticed that you guys got something happening in perth, with a few victorians thrown in for good measure, I hope you had fun there :)

Basically I'm just here to put my name in the hat for any more potential tournaments that may be run. I'm not exactly the bees knees at this game, but I absolutely love it anyway. For 3/4 of the year I'm based in brisbane, doing uni and during the big break over christmas, I work in kalgoorlie so I'm pretty much covered for a tourney anywhere over australia depending on the time of year.

Anyhow, I shall be popping in here from time to time to check on the status of any australian tourneys, but don't expect me to say too much else, I already lose enough time on other forums as it is :p

Anyway, peace out, and I hope you keep this good thing rolling :)

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Well, well, well, another austrailan is found. Welcome to the Smash World Forums Calvo!!!!! So, you spend 3/4 of the year in brisbane, and 1/4 of the year in W.A. huh. Well, i dont think there are any brisbane smsahers who post regularly on this topic however, we currently have 8 well known smashers who reside in Perth, and we would love to meet up and see how good you are. Lucky for you us Perth smashers have decided to organise monthly mini-tourneys where we meet to improve our skills. If you want to come along to the ones we hold while you are in W.A. we need dates when you are in W.A. . If you tell us your details you are more that welcome to come along. Post back soon!

FinalAtomicBustr

Smash Rookie
Sorry again for the late posting

Hi all again!

Sorry for not posting recently. I've been very busing organising things on the SF front.

It's great to see you guys hold a tournament! That's very impressive considering the conditions you guys found each other with. Can I ask how you ran it, what kind of bracket system did you use (cos I don't think the in-game one is accurate enough (for seeding at least)), and if it was single or double elimination? Maybe round robin?

I'm glad to see you all very keen to travel for these things. If you can roll up some more people (especially from Sydney) then I think the console day for our National SF tournament will definitely be fun!

Oh, before I forget - I'll be making a new thread soon to announce an involvement that my site has with an Anime Convention in Sydney later this year. I don't think it will be before the Nationals we're holding, but it will be pretty big if last year's was anything to go by. Also, there will plenty of consoles for casual play. Last year there was at least one SSBM set up, but if interest in it is bigger this time round, we'll add more GCs and possibly even run a full fledged tournament for it.

Anyway, the reason I'm here is to officially announce the OzHadou Nationals Tournament for this July. For those of you that PMed me, you'll notice that I have waivered the whole hiding of the name and URL (which is www dot ozhadou dot net check it out for Australian SF related stuff). The OzHadou Nationals 3 (OHN3. Yes, its our 3rd big national SF event) will be held at Playtime Arcade in Sydney on George St on the Saturday 17th July 2004; and we'll have a special Console day on Sunday 18th July 2004 were we'll complete the event with large scale casual matches on as many different games as we can fit in. The venue for the Sunday is still being negotiated. We'll also run the more "fun" tournaments on the Sunday - like Team Tournaments, Round Robins and of course tournaments for our non main games. Our main games are Capcom vs SNK 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and Street Fighter 3:3rd Strike. We plan on having Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, King of Fighters series, Guilty Gear series, Virtual Fighter series, and of course Super Smash Brothers: Melee on the Sunday and run tournaments for those.

If you want more information on that, please visit our website and check out the OHN3 thread in the Tournament Announcements forum.

Oh, I am also going to EVO2k4 (which is 2 weeks after OHN3... hehe, busy month for me ;)) and expect to see some very top level play of SSBM there and hopefully bring back some new skills to compete with.

When is the next tournament you guys are planning? I'd like to compete and maybe offer my experience from the SF tournaments we've run. I'm sure I can find a few others from OzHadou to join too.

Justin

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Hi Calvo, if you do read these posts anytime soon, please tell us your schedule and meet up with the Perth squad. They are excellent fun.

FAB, I cannot speak for the others but I cant seem to make it to Sydney. I'm going to be very busy at that time, cause TAFE will have started, and its fulltime. Sorry to let you down. Perhaps you'll have better luck with the others. I might make more of a effort next time if things go well for SSBM this time. Let me know how it goes.

Calvo

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the heads up guys. My schedule looks pretty bad, I won't be in W.A. until November, but I stay until March and I'll probably be able to get most weekends off. I also might be able to talk a mate of mine into coming, he plays about as well as me.

All other times in in Brisbane, so yeah. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
November huh, well guess what, thats when we finish school!! So be prepared for a lot of tourneys to be held. If you can bring your mate along that would be great. The more people that come along to a tourney, the better it is. Start practicing and when it gets closer to november, we will organise something more solid.
Oh yeah, some more details about yourself would be appreciated, like age and other stuff.

Calvo

Smash Rookie
A/S/L? :p

I'm 18, will be 19 by the time in back in WA, I'm a bloke, as well as SSBM I play mario kart and naruto 2 on the gamecube. I also play PC games, will be working on the mines (fun fun fun 12 hour shifts :p)

My favourite character is Link, but I like to think I can play with Pikachu, Pichu, Fox, Falco, Mewtwo and Cap'n Falcon.

As per normal with most people I'm slightly paranoid about giving out my name on a forum, no offence guys.

More info available on request :p

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
A Link player eh? I hope to challenge you sometime. My Triforce of Power will dominate!! Or will it? ;) Dont worry about giving your name, we or I, dont really care at this point. But fyi, heres some of our names: Jon, Josh, Mat, Shaz, Em, Mic, Glenn, Cela, Ryan, Kenton, Bryce, James. Actually, those names mean nothing until you know who they belong to. Not everyone there is on the boards, but those are the names or the contestants from the 1st tournament. I'm sick of Melbourne, I shall abduct Em, Shaz and Cela and we will all move back to WA for good! :)

kupo

Smash Lord
Calvo: I want Pichu/Falco Mirror match 2/3.
I'm sick of Melbourne, I shall abduct Em, Shaz and Cela and we will all move back to WA for good!
*Sticks on a Barbie Smile and control in hand*
Ready when you are ^^.

Justin: As hard and long for it to convince my parents to go to Perth was not easy. Also, paying for friends tickets is over the limit[If I were to do so again for this occassion]. Anyhow, I think CR's and Cella's schedule would be the same as Jon's. It'll take a lot of convincing for me to make it. Sorry.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Origninally by Sabreant:
I'm sick of Melbourne, I shall abduct Em, Shaz and Cela and we will all move back to WA for good!
Yay!! I know your just joking but fell free to do that anytime!!

Calvo: Link huh. Well, that should be interesting. Oh yes, Im Mathew btw.

FinalAtomicBustr

Smash Rookie
Hmm, it seems that the national SSBM scene is not quite as close as I thought (geographically that is). :(

Well, I'm still holding the invite to anyone on these boards who will be interested in coming along (if you're in the Sydney are at the time of course); but if you are planning on making the trip up there just for that, then please let me know via the OzHadou site so I make sure you're looked after properly at the event ;). I'd hate to see and blue start just because a SSBM player comes in and jokingly says SF sucks or vice versa. Most SF players that will be there aren't too bad with accepting other people's fav games (I mean, there are people that love Snow Bros to death!), so I don't expect the above example to really happen.

Even if no one from here makes it, I'll still be having SSBM represented on the Sunday. I'll even go to the trouble of filming it, tripod and all. Well, that's not really that hard, because I'll be filming the whole weekend anyway. I can't promise great matches or anything. We'll try to bone up on our skills before the event so we can at least have some entertaining matches to capture.

Justin

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Bumpage.

No way this topic gos onto the second page. Rediculous. Kinda like my spelling.
Sabre, I'll give you my bio tomorow.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Why are we on the 2nd page?!?!?!?

Thats right FinalAtomicBustr, the Australian smash scene is located in Perth, and we are proud of it.

Sabre, i need more info on what you want for the bios if you want 300 words.

And just a note from quetzal: I have the sasser virus, its not your fault cory, a lot of people here have it, it exploits a hole in windows xp. So i can't use my computer for a while.

Wow. Who really cares.

I have nothing else to say except stop taking me off the throne mic!!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
*Goes and kicks C64 of the throne*

Finally, something national, located in Perth. Ahh.

Ant: Soz, but the cpu's at Tafe are having probs with the disk drives so it'll be tomorow. (Suposedly...)

CORY

wut
BRoomer
cubed: yeah, i was thinking that might've been the problem the next day when i read about sasser on yahoo. i think emi might have it, also. hopefully you guys can managed to stay connected long enough to get that patch d/led and installed.... (haha, and just to avoid confusion in general, i know cubed doesn't have sasser, but i'm using him as the medium here, hehe.)

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Ok, for any who are even remotely puzzled about how to go about doing ones bio, heres an example. I could swear I've already given one though.

Name:
Screen name: (if applicable)
*any other stat you may wish to add, ie gender*:

Paragraph 1
Bulk text about you. This may include many things of interest to the reader including some of your interests and some more detail about a few of these named hobbies. IE: I like anime. IE: I especially like this particular series called ____ because of this and that, oh they're so cool. Opinions and things like that. Perhaps also some movies that you like and music group/style. Extend on these subjects a bit and you'll have a healthy looking paragraph

Paragraph 2
A little about yourself as a person maybe. Tell the reader what you see yourself as. Whether loud and obnoxious, or quiet and reserved. Give them a mental image of what it might be like to be around you. Touch on what you are/have studied at school, and what you're planning to do when you finish. Career goals and such. Let the reader know where you are headed in the future, or where you would like to see yourself in so many years time etc. Dont be afraid to have a bit of fun here either. Laugh at yourself if need be.

Paragraph 3
In this paragraph you can touch on your gaming experiences, relating to smash and other games in more detail. Who do you use? How did you find the tournament maybe? What you plan to do now, or what games you're looking forward to, or ones that you are proud to own? How much you want to win next tournament. Your impressions of others if you're scratching for words. Fill in about your family and close on a note that you feel comfortable with. After all it is your bio. Dont close it thinking "Well its good, but I guess it could've been better." Most importantly of all the text you write, try to not be offensive or insulting to any other person, especially those featured on the DVD. Thats my job...

OK, now that thats settled keep in mind that this is merely a GUIDELINE. Please dont fill in a page thats set out exactly how I've given an example. Try to be original. You need to be informative about yourself, whilst not lying. You may talk on as many or as few topics as you like, and it need not matter. For those that want to know, I have only a few bios so far, but I havent been disappointed yet. This is NOT school, and I will correct all spelling punctuation etc. You dont get graded, your bio is as good or as lame as you make, so make it a good one.

Also, for any curious, my personal bio currently sits at around just over 1000 words. This wont fluctuate much unless I realise I've missed something major. You dont need to match this, but its just to let you know that it is not a joke segment. The bios are quite important. Granted the "Evil" and "Fruity" as I've dubbed it so as to not offend, are joke ones, so thats why I originally said that you are not required to do these. Although it would be far wiser too ;)

I think I've covered everything I wanted to. So thats it for now. Oh yeah, and Mat:
Wow. Who really cares.
I do.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
We're at the bottom again!

Tafe still hasn't fixed the cpu's yet. And it seems some banks have been hit by that sasser virus. Banks = :******: You'd think they'd have top range virus checkers....

kupo

Smash Lord
And just a note from quetzal: I have the sasser virus, its not your fault cory, a lot of people here have it, it exploits a hole in windows xp. So i can't use my computer for a while.
A virus?

...Blarg?

And here I thought that me d/l'n vids and pics would be the files that's causing the system shutdown. My sis said something about a file corruption...
Fhag of a thing!

I've done my normal and evil [a REAL short one though. Is that alright?] bio.

Wow. Who really cares.
Everyone, lets show him that we DO care!! ;)

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow. Who really cares.
I care!!!

I just found out that a guy at uni has SSBM!!! I'm gonna try to get him to join the boards. If I do, he'll probably use the name Alaskan. Hopefully I can bring him to the next tournie that Josh is holding...

Oh, and Josh, check your PM's.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
At the bottom again!

A new chalenger? Fresh meat! *Drools*

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originallly by rmusgraves:
I just found out that a guy at uni has SSBM!!!
Excellent. The Perth smash community continues to grow. That makes a grand total of 9 people. Goody. SOme more news on the next Perht tourney is still to come however it will probaby be held on the Foundation Day long weekend. Either the Friday or Saturday.

Im glad to see so many people care about the predicament that josh is in. If he can stay online long enough to download the patch, he should be back in no time.

Mic, if you kick me off the throne once more....why i oughta .....*shakes fist*

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Grr!!! These evil Ebay pop-ups!

SOme more news on the next Perht tourney is still to come however it will probaby be held on the Foundation Day long weekend. Either the Friday or Saturday.
Please be the Saturday!! As far as I know, uni doesn't do public hols!

Cubed64 and Mic_128!!! Stop that right now!!

*Kicks both off throne, laces it with explosives and KAPOW!!!*

No more dethroning happening here...

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
my comps okay now, got someone to download the patch off the net for us and bring it to my house, so no more sasser for me.
I'll try to organise another tourney for the long weekend on the saturday, we'll see what mum says.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Congrats on ditching the virus josh. Mega w00t for you. The long week-end sounds OK so far. BTW, we get the monday off, not the Friday.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
I've done my normal and evil [a REAL short one though. Is that alright?] bio.
Depends how short it is. Send both on over and I'll read through them.

he'll probably use the name Alaskan
Won't that just confuse everyone from Alaska?

Good to see you are rid of the problem Josh. Pity I caught you on your way out tonight, would've been good to catch up. Oh well see you soon. Need more players in Melbourne. I swear, the temptation to ask every second Asian that walks past "Do you play Smash!?" is so strong these days. But I'll probably end up getting chopped if I do that, so lets be more creative. I was thinking of writing to the Nintendo office in Scoresby, but not too sure what I would say. Or who I'd address it to. Mario might work. Then again they might think its Anthrax or a letter bomb. So perhaps not

Hey Jonk, what's up with the vids?
The be down in the 'hood ***** aight?

Bleh, they'll be on their sweet way soon.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Its bumptastic!!

So, the vids are on thier way huh, thats good news. Jon, can you put all of the good matches on one tape and then send that tape to MarthmasterMD? If you cant is there some other way of sending him very high quality vids of the matches on CD or DVD? He needs the matches as raw as possible and as good quality as possible.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Cubed, join bumpaholics! ;)

Sabre, I am just about to send you my bios now. What you should do about finding more Melbournites is go to the local EB's and put up a poster asking if anyone's interested, to E-mail you or something. Or dress up like Mario and punch people, and see if anyone comes dressed up like DK and fight you. I have a twisted mind, if you already havent noticed. Lalalalala.......

EDIT: I forgot to say this but I'm getting a new comp on tuesday! And Broadband too! (Although not straight away, but still, w00t!)

EDIT2: Your PM box is full Sabre, I'll send it via E-mail

kupo

Smash Lord
I tried sites like Gamecube meet up and it sucks.

Do they allow to do those at EB? It's worth a shot, but chances are, some people can't be trusted. Linkage to Smashboards will do ^^.

Bleh, they'll be on their sweet way soon.
More like, it'll take their sweet *** time. ;).

Uh, if you need suggestions of which matches to put up, i'd say:

Me Vs Josh - Onnett [Last stock ownage :D], Kongo Jungle [The finals], FD matches and any vids with Quez doing the "Hup-Cha" recovery ^^.
3 vs 1 - Three tips on Falco, Rests on Bowser, and the low tiers vs fox [Especially the one on Icicle Mountain. Nyahahaha Shaz!]
Jon-e Boi Douglas Falcon vs Cubed matches.
Cella Vs Kenton/Quez - Green Greens.
Me Vs Shaz - :D

Matches that are NOT suggested.
Me Vs James.
[That is all]

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Very tired, I'll keep it short. Videos are not working yet. Bah, things are never simple. Thanks for bio mic. I'm still working on vids problem. Please stop asking for them so often though people. It wont hurry them up.

Estimated time of arrival: Unknown.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
2nd page. *sigh*

Dont forget the team battles! Especially the finals.;)

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Pretty much all the "official" (I use the term loosely) team battles are pretty crap. None of those will make it to the net in a hurry. Some of the social team battles were far more intense and exciting. Perhaps I'll put up the final one, but that was on Jungle Japes. Dont claim dominance based on skill alone ;)

Regarding videos, things are looking up in a small way. I actually have them appear on my screen now, in full motion as the tape rolls. The downside is, that once I capture them, I am going to compress them down from their current size of 1.8 Gig. I am not joking.

Top Bottom