• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Competitive Brawl Ruleset Discussion *Update: 15/05/08* *Spoilers*

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
*Pets Redact*

Maybe one day if I'm crazy enough I'll throw Spear Pillar into the Random Select mix. OMG SPEAR PILLAR, YUMMO

Bjay

Smash Lord
Spear pillar <3

Just saw the list of stages.

There sure is a ton of them. ^_^

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
well the day me and atticus hold a tourney, its gonna be these rules

all items on high
random character only
stamina flower metal high grav
spear pillar only

i personally think this should be the official ruleset

Sloth

Smash Ace
I like castle seige myself, it is just the middle walk-off- transistion part is just another *camp until it changes* But, I can still see it as a neutral. Pokemon stadium (melee verson) due to the windmall has become a *camp on two transitions until change* now. So in essence it is worse.

I do agree that policing is too hard to do. Especially if tournaments grow larger with PAL release, and people lose their ability to function and think in larger groups. Plus a lot of randoms will whine a lot. QQ.

I'm not going to go through the last couple of pages fully as I don't have time atm. After talking with Scrubs we reckon there is only 6 true neutral stages. Although we do have some disagreements.
And after playing a full day with all the levels in counter-pick as random. Learning to abuse a stage is still no act of skill whatsoever. And doesn't improve your playing ability. imho.

lol stages are fun, but can be highly boring and frustrating. Especially when the game turns into just a camp-fest. SIGH.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Lol Sloth a skill is something we are not innately born with. If you learn to do something it makes sense to say you've acquired a skill. To have a skill/ skills would make you skilled. ;)

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Lol Redact. Dedede wins for it....then to some degree Falco and Yoshi..then a lesser degree Wario.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
but that marth one
just grab ness once with marth
hold l, mush a
0-999% with no timing even needed

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Listen here guys - Sakurai took so long to release Brawl so he could give us a game free of exploitable techniques and moves that would lead to his game becoming less fun.

Bjay

Smash Lord
the rumoured release date (the release date is gonna be announced this upcoming week) is June 26th.

One day before June 27th.

;o

So yeah woo this week it'll all be revealed!

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Lol Sloth here's some digest for you :)

cats says:
silly shaz
cats says:
let me repeat sloths post
cats says:
but in brackets include the actual meaning
cats says:
Sloth (DDRmaster166) said:Learning (knowing how) to abuse a stage is still no act of skill(technical ability) whatsoever. And doesn't improve(improve within the limits of final destination) your playing(technical) ability. imho(imbo).
cats says:
imbo = in my biased opinion

Sloth

Smash Ace
Silly cats. <3
The fundamentals of skill can range from anything that takes an act.. i.e Jumping, walking, movement.
To something that offers a varied enough gap that differences and learning curves apply.

Sadly abusing a stage is about as simple as Jumping/Walking/Movement/Drawing.
If you think that playing a lot of stages improve and actually takes a learning curve then I highly disagree.

If any of you actually struggle with learning a stage after more then playing it for 2mins, then sadly you just lack any sort of gameplay skill in general and I don't understand how you function in society. let alone walk and breathe at the sametime.

Mr. Phantasmo

Smash Journeyman
Lol those are the sort of thing my boss says to me at work, thats when I pound him with one and a half kilograms of dough or burn him with a tray from the oven (sometimes its both).

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Alright I updated the first page.

As some of you may or may not know the list of things that are dependent on controller port is growing...

These include:

(NOTE: When I say higher I mean the LARGER of the 2 numbers. Eg. 4 is higher than 1, 1 is lower than 4)

Transform Priority

If 2 characters transform at the same time the person with the lower controller port will complete their transformation first.

Grab Priority

If 2 players grab at exactly the same time the grab of the player with the lower controller port will out prioritise the other players.

Faux Super Armor

During grabs, the character with the higher-number controller port gains invulnerability to explosives and zero knockback against attacks that would hit both him and his opponent. FSA applies whether the higher# player is the grabber or the grab victim. This also applies to status effects, such as Lucas' PK Freeze or Jiggly's Sing.

Bowsercide

If Bowser's CP is lower than his opponent's they will die first..

If it is higher they die at the same time...

There have been rumors about DI'ing towards the stage means Bowser dies first. *More testing needed*

There are a few more but these are the major ones.

I propose the following:

NOTE: I highly doubt that there will be too much of a problem with people agreeing on controller ports. As the advantages are reasonably minor. Except for teams when the the FSA could be quite important. However there will inevitably be arguments.

If the 2 (or 4 for teams) players can't come to an agreement on which controller port each of them will use. It will be decided by coin toss (best solution).

The coin toss can be performed by the Tournament Director or someone designated by the tournament director.

As far as teams goes there are probably 2 solutions.

1: Each team is treated as 1 person and it is carried out in the same manner as the singles example. The winning team gets to choose controller ports before the losing team.

2. One member from the winning team gets first choice of controller port then it alternates Losing, Winning, Losing

This will prevent the team that won the coin toss from having complete dominance of FSA in any situation

also...

If the players or teams have met previously in the tournament the Winners(set not coin toss) get first choice of controller port/s.

Input on the 2 options for teams. Or any other suggestions?

This is probably what we will be running up here in QLD.

ALSO...

Any developments on what to do about D3's no walls infinite.

and...

Marth, Charizard and Squirtles release infinite on Ness and Lucas

?

One more thing.

Why is The Summit banned.

It is slippery (so is pokemon stadium 2)

It has low grav for a period of time (pokemon stadium 2 and great sea)

Stage hazard is pretty lethal but you can shield it and it only comes out during one phase of the stage so you can avoid it.

I reckon its a pretty cool stage.

Oh check out the backgroud during the first phase( before it starts falling) not the sky but the background. WORST graphics ever. It looks like the ice track from MK64

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
the stage hazard is pretty much OP
knock someone into the water, then boom, almost guaranteed death, if they jump out to dodge it, that is very easily punished
the fact that its slippery 24/7, while having multiple other things, makes it a tad ******** imo
pk stadium is slippery for once stage
great sea doesn't have a close to broken water hazard
the low grav is also on when theres slippery-ness
its just a little too ******** for whats happening, but if you think that is good, then why not spear pillar? ;)

Sloth

Smash Ace
I doubt the controller ports will be a issue, but I guess a coin toss rule will fix any arguments.
Also. afaik Sydney are developing their own ruleset and QLD will too.
Our opinions are just too different from the Caot/Shaz/Cats ruleset.

The majority of melb ppl I talked to really disagreed with the rambo ruleset

Anyways
I am sure once those are up we can probably discuss further the stages.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Yeah I said that I doubt anyone will care which controller port they get but there are always a few people who take stuff like that WAY seriously.

Infinites on Lucas and Ness?

DDD no walls infinite?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
im for the general stuff you suggested about the infinites, limit it to a % or just make it like a number he can do before he has to stop/continuously move instead of standing still (this is for ddd)

and marth one, maybe limit it to a certain amount of grabs too or such

and really, i dont give a crap about controller port
if you have to actually john about the port, your sad

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Summit also has no grabable edges.

Scrubs: The SBR is working on something with controller ports, whether it's a first come first served/coin flip/higher seed/controller ports can be counterpicked between rounds, all being discussed.

Setrack

Smash Rookie
That dedede rule is a scrub rule. One problem with it is that not only dedede can exploit walk off edges, lots of characters can. So the rule is completely arbitrary. Anyway if dedede is broken on those stages they should just be banned*. But there's no evidence that he is.*

"Cool..... In teams it actually makes quite a big difference which controller ports you have..."**

Err.... wrong! Controller port doesn't decide spawn point in Brawl.**

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
No, but controller port does control priority in a number of moves and grabs, sadly.

Dedu

Smash Lord
by how much mic?

Is it barely noticeable as in melee controller priorities or not?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
As said above, with Bowser, his forward B can be changed from a win to a tie by controller ports. I think there's a list of all discovered things in the SBR, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Can't find a completed list so asking to check, but Controller ports affect the following.

Ganoncide: Higher port goes to sudden death while lower port loses (at least, thats IIRC).

Lower port is damaged, but not knocked back by grenades.

Higher port wins when two grabs "clank"

Grenadesare not the only thing affected by the lower port "faux super armor." If I'm on a team with P4 and P3, and one of us grabs the opponent while the other does an Fsmash on the two, then the teammate will just take damage while the opponent dies

Bowsercide works the opposite, so its higher port wins, lower port to sudden death.

Top Bottom