• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Austin Melee Circuit # 1 - Fall of the Colossus

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
  • Fall of the Colossus
    Saturday November 12, 2011
    Super Smash Brothers: Melee

Welch 2.304, located on UT Campus. The building is located at the intersection of Speedway and E 24th street.
    Directions
    Building Information

Schedule:
    Saturday november 12, 2011
    Doors Open/Registration Begins - 12:00 noon
    Doubles Registration Ends - 2:00 PM
    Doubles Begins - 2:30 PM
    Singles Registration Ends - 4:00 PM
    Singles Begins - 4:30 PM

Price
    These fees are non-refundable
    • Venue Fee - $5
    • Singles - $10 per player
    • Doubles - $10 per team
    Payout

31 or fewer entrants
    • 1st = 60%
    • 2nd = 30%
    • 3rd = 10%
    32 - 63 entrants
    • 1st = 58%
    • 2nd = 28%
    • 3rd = 10%
    • 4th = 4%
    64 or more entrants
    • 1st = 55%
    • 2nd = 25%
    • 3rd = 10%
    • 4th = 5%
    • 5th = 2.5%
    • 5th = 2.5%
    Setups
    We have about 8 setups. Please bring setups! If you bring a setup* your venue fee will be waived.
    *A setup consists of a CRT TV, copy of Melee, and a Gamecube or Wii with the necessary cables.

General Rules
    • Items are set to off
    • The number of stock is set to 4
    • The time limit is set to 8 minutes
    • Pause is set to off
    • In pools, all sets are best of 3 matches*
    • In bracket, all sets are best of 5 matches*
    • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
    • Double Elimination
    • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR): No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players
    • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
    • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a stock and percentage tie, a one-stock match will be played.
    • Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
    • Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
    • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
    • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
    • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: Fountain of Dreams)
    • Use of the character Metaknight is banned.
    *This is subject to change based on the number of entrants, see below for Tournament Format

Tournament Format
    To seed a 16-man bracket, we will have first have a round of pools, the size of which will depend on the number of entrants.
    If the number of entrants is greater than 32, then we will have 8 pools, where the top two advance into bracket. Otherwise, we will have 4 pools where the top four advance.

Ties in pools are broken by:
    1. number of sets won
    2. winning percentage in games (win/loss ratio)
    3. head-to-head records

In the event of a three-way tie after all tiebreakers are exhausted, a best-of-1 round robin will be played out between the three players until there is a clear order of placements.

This is to have more matches per cost of entry. However, should attendance exceed 60, we might feel compelled to let everyone into a larger bracket in the essence of time.

Set Format (in order of procedure)
    • Opponents choose their characters for the first match
    • Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 order.
    • After the first match, each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
    • The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from the Stage List
    • The winner of the previous match chooses their character
    • The loser of the previous match chooses their character
    • Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches

Singles

Stage List
    Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
    Past Stages: Dream Land
    Special Stages: Final Destination
    Special Stages: Battlefield
    Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
    Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
    Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
    Planet Zebes: Brinstar
    Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Doubles

Stage List
    Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
    Past Stages: Dream Land
    Special Stages: Final Destination
    Special Stages: Battlefield
    Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
    Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
    Planet Zebes: Brinstar
    Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
    Kanto Skies: Pokéfloats

Additional Rules for Double's Play
    • Life Stealing is allowed
    • Set team attack to ON

Tournament Specific Rules
    • The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
    • The Mage's DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is 5 minutes late he will receive a warning. At ten minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After 15 minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set. No pleas will be taken into consideration.
    • If there is a dispute, it must be settled before the start of the next match.
    • MikeHaze rule: No yelling or making abrupt noises at your opponent.
    • Chibo's Video-for-the-masses rule: You cannot refuse to be recorded if you pay money to enter an event.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Did you guys purposefully put this on the same day as the Brawl Circuit Finals in Austin thats happening on the same day? Regardless, it should make finding a ride easier, since apparently both are being held at UTA.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys purposefully put this on the same day as the Brawl Circuit Finals in Austin thats happening on the same day? Regardless, it should make finding a ride easier, since apparently both are being held at UTA.
it came out under the complication of interfering football games, thanksgiving, finals, other tourneys happening, and urgency to get the circuit going after a month's time of ineffective and forgetful deliberation.

i foresaw that it might be easier for dallas to come if they could get rides from brawl players, and perhaps with other cities too. but that was after the fact that the date was chosen. so yeah, i'm thinking this will be a very sizable event with the majority of texas' active top players attending.

HYPE!

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
UPDATE + BUMP. HIGH CHANCE that this tournament will be held VERY CLOSE to the BRAWL TOURNAMENT ON THE SAME DAY. HOW CLOSE you might ask. well hopefully we're looking at JUST DOWNSTAIRS, IN THE SAME BUILDING, so proximity is REALLY SUPER CLOSE.

right now we're looking at smoothing out some details for players interested in both, but it would be SUPER DUPER COOL if MORE PEOPLE GOT RIDES because they could get a wider amount of players to create carpools with.

Smiles

Smash Journeyman
Back

After being horribly....horribly dissapointed by my performance in kyles "subyway fight night" due to lack of years of practice.....I am back. Hardcore practicing starting.....now. Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype Hype.

Kal

Smash Champion
So I can't formally ask for days off at my job, because apparently being new means your rights are limited (kind of like a fetus?), so I have to sit on my *** and hope I'm off next Saturday.

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
Updated with new venue, Welch 2.304, which is below the previous room we had arranged. It's still plenty spacious, so it should all be good.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
So I can't formally ask for days off at my job, because apparently being new means your rights are limited (kind of like a fetus?), so I have to sit on my *** and hope I'm off next Saturday.
can't you switch shifts with someone? that is the lamest thing i've heard. now that you asked for the day off, you can't call in sick 'cause it'll look selfish :urg:

Kal

Smash Champion
can't you switch shifts with someone? that is the lamest thing i've heard. now that you asked for the day off, you can't call in sick 'cause it'll look selfish :urg:
We can't ever call in sick. Unless we have a doctor's note, we have to come in. If we look sick enough (read: **** you, you're faking), then they'll tell us to go home.

I asked the guy making the schedule and he said he'd try to switch my shift with someone else's.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
hey everyone. couldn't find a specific Austin thread...but i'll be moving here probably anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks. i wont know anybody in the area, so it'd be pro to have some guaranteed networking when i arrive. seems like brawl is more popular in tx. i'll play it, but i'm really in it for the melee, so count TX for another Doc. =)

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
hey everyone. couldn't find a specific Austin thread...but i'll be moving here probably anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks. i wont know anybody in the area, so it'd be pro to have some guaranteed networking when i arrive. seems like brawl is more popular in tx. i'll play it, but i'm really in it for the melee, so count TX for another Doc. =)
The Austin Melee thread kind of died. The UT Smash Club thread is pretty much the new Austin Melee thread.

You should also join the Austin Melee facebook group. A lot of discussion and planning for smashfests and tournaments happens here.

Edit: Curses, Hannah beat me to it. Well, she didn't mention the Austin Melee FB group, so this post isn't entirely redundant.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
Lol Tirno. I like how we used a lot of the same words. I may not be able to beat you in Melee but at least I can beat you in posting speed :awesome:.

Kal

Smash Champion
Just figured I would let everyone know that I managed to get the 12th and 13th off from work, which means I will be attending this tournament.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
nice! i've heard you haven't been all too happy with smash in general recently, but i'm glad you can make it.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Will you folks be doing anything between the 22nd-28th? I'm coming down to TX for Thanksgiving, and I have a severe addiction to melee.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
sadly, we are mostly a congregate of people not from austin who happen to have gone to school here and stayed. players originally from here hardly show up >.<

kwanzai

Smash Rookie
I havn't played any smash in long time, but hopefully I can make it to this. I'm sure I'll get crushed but at least I'll get to see some high level melee. Quick question though, I sometimes use a wii connected to an evo monitor through VGA (I think its VGA, not at home atm). When smash starts I enable progressive scan and the game feels pretty seamless to me. Would this be considered a tournament worthy, lagless setup? If so I can bring it.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
i don't know about tournament worthy, since I have no experience with it, but i hear it's pretty good. just bring it and i'll waive the venue fee if you were planning to enter the tourney.

Broly

Smash Lord
obviously, I will win this. Clearly I have shaken the rust since my move, and will reign supreme. Houston's ''True'' Hero is here.

Top Bottom