• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South IRC

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
So, I figured it'd be nice for us to have a real-time sort of chat to **** around in, since it's way easier to say random stuff on a chat than it is on a Board like SWF, especially with Wi-Fi coming out in Brawl, IRC would be fantastic for organizing matches with other people. Sooo, I decided to start up an IRC channel on a small network whose owner I know personally.

For IRC/mIRC vets, I'll post the info up from here so you don't need the tutorial.

irc.rageirc.com, port 6667, channel #ssbm.

For everyone else:

1.) Go to http://www.mirc.com and DL the program from any of the mirrors (it's a small file, short download), then install and run.

2.) A picture of some dude should come up, and you should click continue.

3.) The next screen should have boxes for putting you name, E-Mail address, and a slot for your Nickname and an alternate in case that nick is taken (it shouldn't be, but put something in this slot just in case). You can put false information in these slots if you feel like it, it doesn't really matter.

4.) Go to the 'Servers' option on the left hand of the window, and click 'Add.'

5.) Put the Description as 'Smash IRC', the IRC Server as irc.rageirc.com, and ports as 6667, and leave group and password blank. Click add.

6.) Double click the newly added server (should be at the top of the server list), and click 'Connect to Server.'

7.) When the 'mIRC favorites' window comes up, do not click on any of the listed channels, and instead type 'ssbm' into the window and click Join.

8.) Once you're in the channel, you can talk by typing in the blank bar at the bottom of the screen, and pressing Enter to send.

See you there!

Edit: If you have any problems or questions, feel free to AIM me at Justoid64.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
phanna and I are going to go get some drunk breakfast. FAAAACK YEA

ps dreamland music is playing

pps wtf is this htread about

CodeBlue

Smash Apprentice
Great, another channel for me to waste time in. Oh well, beats AIM chats any day.

Det

Smash Cadet
For the record, you 'can' just leave it open, if people are idle. No real reason to exit it out, even if you're leaving. You can just come back later/whatever to see whatever may've been said. I keep seeing people leave within like 5 minutes, then someone else would show, and do the same, mildly annoying.

Det

Smash Cadet
Yeah, while it's a good idea now, it'll be much more useful as Ted said, when Brawl is out. It'll be cool to just log into IRC and get some matches going, y'know? Waiting for other people to finish their's, then you have a go. It'll be like long distance friendlies.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
If you have not set this up, it is recommended that you do. If you have considered it and decided against it, I implore you to reconsider.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
i heard of something like this. its called AIM...peace

-hiroshi
AIM allows for individual conversation and temporary group conversation. This is a permanent location where smashers can access and just chat with whoever is in at the time. Think of it like a Gigabits without the smash. :grin:

And if that doesn't work.... All the cool people are doing it. Peer pressure ftw!

Zoro

Smash Champion
yes u all should go to this room thing

if ur to lazy to dload mirc it takes like 10 seconds dude
and seting it up takes like 3

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Every time I bump this, we get like one new person in there.

Just so you all know, there are actually GOOD players in here. So it's not just a bunch of scrubs sitting around in IRC talking about how bad we are.

Rohins, Exarch, Angry Lobster, Renth, etc.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Bump.

Guys, you really should take the two minutes it literally takes to set this up. When Brawl comes out, this will be an extremely effective way of communicating and setting up matches between players. If everybody sets it up now, they won't have to worry about it later.

We also do Smash64 matches online. It is quite entertaining and lag free. We can get anybody set up to play Smash64 online with us in about five minutes.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
We could do melee online as well. However, the usual method as of now is a good bit more complicated and costly. From what I have read, Melee online has a decent amount of lag as well. Who knows though, it could be as good as the current method for n64 online, which has ZERO lag.

If a reasonable number of people were committed to getting an online setup, then I am sure others would follow suit. The main thing stopping most people from getting all the things they need for an online Melee setup is the lack of other people who have also acquired all of the gear that they need.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Rohins used his super power of "Peer Pressure" and made me join. I will next use "Persuasion" to get Monk/Honkey/Banana to join.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Alright, I'mma try and set it up, just so I can be friendly. :0

Edit: Doesn't work on Macbooks. Sorry.

Top Bottom