• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I don't take the things Fatman has said as a solid disconfirm; after all, he said they were rumors regarding who this character would be that is both a third-party and western. I can't really see the next character being Dovahkiin - I won't deny Skyrim has impact, but it seems a little similar to the Steve/Banjo situation where Minecraft content was talked about for Smash for a while but it ended up being Banjo anyway. I honestly don't know how it'll end up - we could get Dovahkiin, or Doomguy, or someone else entirely from a different company. Feels like things could go either way, but lately it does seem like Nintendo has been cracking down hard on leakers given that we can't even hear clear names anymore, as they keep giving hints without giving anything more away (and I understand there are reasons for that). I would just prefer to ride this out and keep supporting Doomguy no matter what - Doom has a pretty huge impact of its own that I believe could stand well enough on its own merit.

As far as FP5 is concerned, I am thinking we'll probably have to wait until post-pass for Doomguy to get in. I can imagine FP5 will be a character that Sakurai has some personal connection with (maybe Travis Touchdown or someone else) so we'll have to wait it out a bit longer. Really hoping the love Doom has been getting (not to mention all the support on the Switch lately!) will at some point get some recognition and become feasible as a future character for Smash Ultimate.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Exquisimoi?

4 hours...
I looked forward to that four years ago. (I can still remember how excited I was when they announced Bayonetta in Smash 4, particularly after it started off seeming like it was a trailer for another Kid Icarus character)

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Sup Doombros. Geno thread regular here. I know there's been some concerns lately that Dovahkin might take Doomguy's spot after what Fatmanonice said, but honestly? Even though they'd be probably interchangeable as far as the Cacomallow leak goes, I'm still rooting for Doomguy. Even beyond just potentially guaranteeing Geno coming later, he's such a wild pick I can't help but like him now. I'll admit, I haven't played much of the Doom franchise (aside from the 32X port of the first game a couple months back, because I'm an absolute madman) and for a while I had mixed to negative views on Doomguy joining Smash, but I've warmed up to him a lot since then. Still not quite a wanted character for me, but I'd for sure pick him over dozens of others at this point.

After the dust settled and the Geno thread is moving a lot slower, I think I can handle following at least one other thread now. I'll probably stick around here, maybe even learning a thing or two about Doom and why you guys want the marine from that game in Smash so much. Gonna be a fun ride I hope. Here's to both our boys making in, and here's an edit I made of the two of them if they got paired up in a reveal as well lmao:

doomjo and kageno.png

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Actually I do have a question for people in this thread: What Doom games have you actually played?

Here are the ones I've played:
The Ultimate Doom (PC)
Doom II (PC)
Master Levels For Doom II (PC)
Final Doom (PC)
Doom (SNES)
Doom: Custom PlayStation Edition (PSX)
Final Doom (PSX)
Doom 64 (N64)
Doom 3 (Xbox) (Only played some of it once before when I rented it - I do however have Resurrection of Evil which I have yet to play)
Doom II (GBA)
Plus the Switch ports of The Ultimate Doom & Doom II

All that aside, I have never played Doom 2016, and beyond that I have played plenty of fanmade content including PWADs and megawads for Doom II and Final Doom. I think if anything has kept my passion for Doom going, it's the community. The amount of passion the players have not only in creating new maps, but with new graphics and original music is pretty mindblowing and inspiring, especially after over 20 years of activity. It's a lot of fun to keep up with and to this day you can still find people playing Doom online over on ZDaemon or Zandronum. There's also an active forum over on Doomworld and probably elsewhere like the ZDoom forums so that's pretty cool.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Sup Doombros. Geno thread regular here. I know there's been some concerns lately that Dovahkin might take Doomguy's spot after what Fatmanonice said, but honestly? Even though they'd be probably interchangeable as far as the Cacomallow leak goes, I'm still rooting for Doomguy. Even beyond just potentially guaranteeing Geno coming later, he's such a wild pick I can't help but like him now. I'll admit, I haven't played much of the Doom franchise (aside from the 32X port of the first game a couple months back, because I'm an absolute madman) and for a while I had mixed to negative views on Doomguy joining Smash, but I've warmed up to him a lot since then. Still not quite a wanted character for me, but I'd for sure pick him over dozens of others at this point.

After the dust settled and the Geno thread is moving a lot slower, I think I can handle following at least one other thread now. I'll probably stick around here, maybe even learning a thing or two about Doom and why you guys want the marine from that game in Smash so much. Gonna be a fun ride I hope. Here's to both our boys making in, and here's an edit I made of the two of them if they got paired up in a reveal as well lmao:

View attachment 253195
Nice to see you here. Welcome to my home thread, where I use my brain for once and don't just make stupid jokes. Now go play the Switch ports of the Doom games, cause anything is better than playing it on that mushroom. Except for 2016 unless you want to make your Switch into soup

KillerCage

Smash Master
Actually I do have a question for people in this thread: What Doom games have you actually played?

The Ultimate Doom (PC)
Doom II (PC)
Final Doom (PC)
Doom (SNES)
Final Doom (PSX)
Doom 64 (N64)
Doom 3 (Xbox) (Only played some of it once before when I rented it - I do however have Resurrection of Evil which I have yet to play)
Doom II (GBA)

All that aside, I have never played Doom 2016, and beyond that I have played plenty of fanmade content including PWADs and megawads for Doom II and Final Doom. I think if anything has kept my passion for Doom going, it's the community. The amount of passion the players have not only in creating new maps, but with new graphics and original music is pretty mindblowing and inspiring, especially after over 20 years of activity. It's a lot of fun to keep up with and to this day you can still find people playing Doom online over on ZDaemon or Zandronum. There's also an active forum over on Doomworld and probably elsewhere like the ZDoom forums so that's pretty cool.
I have only played the Switch ports of Doom 1 (I assume this is Ultimate Doom) and Doom 2 as well as the Switch version of Doom 2016.
I played all three for the first time this year.
It was the possibility of Doomguy/Doom Slayer getting into Smash that got me into the series.

DoomJerk

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoomJerk
Switch FC
SW-7821-3739-0301
Hmm, let's see if I can remember right

Doom (SNES) ((first one I ever played))
Doom (Xbox 360)
Doom (PC)
Doom (PS1)
Doom (GBA)
Doom (Switch)
Doom II (PC)
Doom II (GBA)
Doom II (Switch)
Doom 3 (PC)
Doom 2016 (PC)

Needless to say I'm a huge fan and would love him in Smash

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

The Ultimate Doom (PC)
Doom II (PC)
Final Doom (PC)
Doom (SNES)
Final Doom (PSX)
Doom 64 (N64)
Doom II (GBA)

As I said, I only played the 32X version of Doom (on emulator to be specific, because no way I'd fork over money for some tumor of an add-on). Ear bleeding soundtrack aside, I actually had some fun with it, but I know for a fact I'd be better off playing almost any other Doom port really.

Nice to see you here. Welcome to my home thread, where I use my brain for once and don't just make stupid jokes. Now go play the Switch ports of the Doom games, cause anything is better than playing it on that mushroom. Except for 2016 unless you want to make your Switch into soup
Thanks, and gotcha mate. Am gonna try to play the Doom games on Switch if I can, 2016 included. What? I like soup.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
My dad got Doom 2 when I was a kid. This was back when Doom 2 was new. I also got the male in 1st Episode for Doom 1. I didn't play Shores of Hell or Inferno until I was in HS and downloaded a hack from Kazaa with Doom 1, 2, Final, and Ultimate.

I have never played Doom 64. I have Doom 3 BFG Edition for PS3 and played all of them. (I also have Doom 3 for PC). I have Doom 4 for Xbox one and played it halfway through. I actually got a little bored with it.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Malo Mart Malo Mart I would recommend the PC ports of Doom, as it feels naturally built for mouse and keyboard controls, but the Switch ports are worth having because you can play it anywhere. It's up to you though and I look forward to hearing your thoughts should you get around to playing it!

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Malo Mart Malo Mart I would recommend the PC ports of Doom, as it feels naturally built for mouse and keyboard controls, but the Switch ports are worth having because you can play it anywhere. It's up to you though and I look forward to hearing your thoughts should you get around to playing it!
I'd say get both actually. Switch versions for normal play and PC for wads. That's when stuff gets good.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
As I said, I only played the 32X version of Doom (on emulator to be specific, because no way I'd fork over money for some tumor of an add-on). Ear bleeding soundtrack aside, I actually had some fun with it, but I know for a fact I'd be better off playing almost any other Doom port really.

Thanks, and gotcha mate. Am gonna try to play the Doom games on Switch if I can, 2016 included. What? I like soup.
Allow me to introduce you to a Mega-guide if you wanna play some Doom for your PC.

Pretty good read, actually.

Over here!

Mind the profanity, but this being Doom, that is child's play, lol.

Also include "Eviternity" here, very good WAD!

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
The Ultimate Doom (PC, Switch)
Doom II and it's addons: The Master Levels & No Rest for the Living (PC, Switch)
Sigil, hundreds of fan wads and mods (PC)
Final Doom (PC)
Doom 64 (N64 emulator)
Doom 3 (every platform)
DOOM 2016 (every platform)

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Allow me to introduce you to a Mega-guide if you wanna play some Doom for your PC.

Over here!

There was a liiitle part of me hoping to see Reverie on that list, but alas...it was not to be.

Also, Memento Mori I & II are a couple of my favorite megawads with amazing soundtracks. It was stuff like this that really blew me away:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

The Ultimate Doom (PC)
Doom II (PC)
Final Doom (PC)
Doom (SNES)
Final Doom (PSX)
Doom 64 (N64)
Doom II (GBA)

Played
Ultimate Doom
Doom 2
Master Levels (always confused by this title, though).
Final Doom
DoomED (some cd with mods, and unique looking levels)
Doom 3 BFG Edition with both expansions. (Also Doom 1, and Doom 2 from this compilation). PS3
Doom 64 (played, not beaten).

Currently owned Doom 2016 on Switch, but I want to finish DQXI first, and or get a new TV on my living room to play it on a bigger screen.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Yo thanks! I'll give it a go once I have the time.
If I may recommend a personal favorite wad, I'd say Kira's Bizarre Adventure is a fun one. It replaces every weapon and the final boss, it's a real blast to play.
There's also a wad someone made that added the carrot pufferfish as a weapon if you're more into that kind of stuff.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 253195
I always love to see new support for Doomguy, especially from people that are not too familiar with the character or franchise. As for why we want Doomguy in Smash? Well I can't speak for everyone but for me personally it's because I grew up with the games, and have an attachment to the character. Seeing that represented in Smash along with other childhood favorites of mine like Mario, and Snake would pretty much complete the game for me. Now as for why Doomguy SHOULD be in Smash? Well that's mainly because his series defined a whole genre, I know there's an argument for Wolfenstein. But to me Doom is the perfected version of Wolfenstein. There's a great video that can tell you the history and importance of Doom.

You can watch it here:

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

The Ultimate Doom (PC)
Doom II (PC)
Final Doom (PC)
Doom (SNES)
Final Doom (PSX)
Doom 64 (N64)
Doom II (GBA)

I've played through Doom II countless times, TUD once or twice, and the first few levels of the Plutonia experiment. Though, my main method of playing Doom has typically been loading up total conversion mods like Doom 4 Doom (Doom 2016 gameplay in classic Doom) and Quake Champions: Doom Edition, before running through a Slaughtermap PWAD like Slaughterfest 2012 or the Maps of Chaos (or occasionally, the Japanese Community Project).

Since I've Wadsmooshed all of the official Doom releases, I should bring it upon myself to check them out in due time.

Over here!

Building off of this, I'd also recommend looking into Wadsmoosh, a tool which takes the IWAD files for each commercial Doom release and ties it up into a neat package, presented in gameplay as a list of chapters (much like Doom 1's episodes) and complete with small accreditations to the creators of each map.

For the complete experience, you'll want to seek out the following IWADS. The methods you obtain them are entirely your responsibility:
  • doom.wad = The Ultimate Doom (Knee-Deep in the Dead, The Shores of Hell, Inferno, Thy Flesh Consumed)
  • SIGIL.wad = SIGIL
  • DOOM2.wad = Doom 2 (Hell on Earth)
  • NERVE.wad = No Rest for the Living
  • GERYON.wad, MINOS.wad, NESSUS.wad, VESPERAS.wad, VIRGIL.wad, MANOR.wad, TTRAP.wad, CATWALK.wad, COMBINE.wad, FISTULA.wad, GARRISON.wad, SUBSPACE.wad, SUBTERRA.wad, BLACKTWR.wad, BLOODSEA.wad, MEPHISTO.wad, TEETH.wad, PARADOX.wad, ATTACK.wad, and CANYON.wad = Master Levels for Doom 2 (The Master Levels)
  • tnt.wad = TNT: Evilution
  • plutonia.wad = The Plutonia Experiment
If I had to make a mod suggestion of my own, it'd have to be Quake Champions: Doom Edition (QC:DE), also known in many circles as "Quake Champions done much better" and "The Smash Bros. of FPSs". It translates the arsenal, gameplay mechanics and Champions system from QC and improves upon it immensely, introducing support for PvE modes and a moxxa of Champions from across the echelons of FPS fame; Ranger, Doom Slayer, Corvus, B.J. Blazkowicz, Duke Nukem, Caleb, Lo Wang, Durandal, Nyx, Hunter, Sarge, Major, Keel, Painkiller, Serious Sam, Gordon Freeman, and many more.

You can download the mod here and find out some info regarding it here.

I always love to see new support for Doomguy, especially from people that are not too familiar with the character or franchise. As for why we want Doomguy in Smash? Well I can't speak for everyone but for me personally it's because I grew up with the games, and have an attachment to the character. Seeing that represented in Smash along with other childhood favorites of mine like Mario, and Snake would pretty much complete the game for me. Now as for why Doomguy SHOULD be in Smash? Well that's mainly because his series defined a whole genre, I know there's an argument for Wolfenstein. But to me Doom is the perfected version of Wolfenstein. There's a great video that can tell you the history and importance of Doom.

You can watch it here:
I'd also recommend Civvie11's Pro Doom series, where he plays through all the official levels with commentary that falls somewhere in between a scathing review and level walkthrough. Highly entertaining.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I've played through Doom II countless times, TUD once or twice, and the first few levels of the Plutonia experiment. Though, my main method of playing Doom has typically been loading up total conversion mods like Doom 4 Doom (Doom 2016 gameplay in classic Doom) and Quake Champions: Doom Edition, before running through a Slaughtermap PWAD like Slaughterfest 2012 or the Maps of Chaos (or occasionally, the Japanese Community Project).

Since I've Wadsmooshed all of the official Doom releases, I should bring it upon myself to check them out in due time.

Building off of this, I'd also recommend looking into Wadsmoosh, a tool which takes the IWAD files for each commercial Doom release and ties it up into a neat package, presented in gameplay as a list of chapters (much like Doom 1's episodes) and complete with small accreditations to the creators of each map.

For the complete experience, you'll want to seek out the following IWADS. The methods you obtain them are entirely your responsibility:
  • doom.wad = The Ultimate Doom (Knee-Deep in the Dead, The Shores of Hell, Inferno, Thy Flesh Consumed)
  • SIGIL.wad = SIGIL
  • DOOM2.wad = Doom 2 (Hell on Earth)
  • NERVE.wad = No Rest for the Living
  • GERYON.wad, MINOS.wad, NESSUS.wad, VESPERAS.wad, VIRGIL.wad, MANOR.wad, TTRAP.wad, CATWALK.wad, COMBINE.wad, FISTULA.wad, GARRISON.wad, SUBSPACE.wad, SUBTERRA.wad, BLACKTWR.wad, BLOODSEA.wad, MEPHISTO.wad, TEETH.wad, PARADOX.wad, ATTACK.wad, and CANYON.wad = Master Levels for Doom 2 (The Master Levels)
  • tnt.wad = TNT: Evilution
  • plutonia.wad = The Plutonia Experiment
If I had to make a mod suggestion of my own, it'd have to be Quake Champions: Doom Edition (QC:DE), also known in many circles as "Quake Champions done much better" and "The Smash Bros. of FPSs". It translates the arsenal, gameplay mechanics and Champions system from QC and improves upon it immensely, introducing support for PvE modes and a moxxa of Champions from across the echelons of FPS fame; Ranger, Doom Slayer, Corvus, B.J. Blazkowicz, Duke Nukem, Caleb, Lo Wang, Durandal, Nyx, Hunter, Sarge, Major, Keel, Painkiller, Serious Sam, Gordon Freeman, and many more.

You can download the mod here and find out some info regarding it here.

I'd also recommend Civvie11's Pro Doom series, where he plays through all the official levels with commentary that falls somewhere in between a scathing review and level walkthrough. Highly entertaining.
So many good suggestions here, Wadsmoosh is legit af, QCDE is some of the most fun I've had in classic doom, and Civvie11 is easily one of my favorite current youtubers.
Seriously guys watch him if you haven't.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Never saw this before, nice.

Speaking of compilations, here's Compendium, a collection of 50+ MegaWADs.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman

The Ultimate Doom (PC)
Doom II (PC)
Final Doom (PC)
Doom (SNES)
Final Doom (PSX)
Doom 64 (N64)
Doom II (GBA)

Even though Doom Guy is my current most-wanted, I've only ever finished Doom 2016 and Doom I on the Switch. I'm definitely very new to the series and I hope to try out Doom II and 64 soon along with Doom Eternal.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I haven’t played 64 yet, and I’m waiting for the Switch release.

I do wish the console ports of Doom had survival mode in addition to cooperative. It makes the levels too easy if both of us can respawn.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I played 1/Ultimate, 2, Final, Master Levels, NRFTL, 64, PS1 edition, 3 and its later episodes (Both normal and BFG edition) and 2016 (Even the MP because two weapon limit and unbalanced demon runes aside, some assets and content were too good to be stuck in a barely played multiplayer).
So i haven't touched some other ports, the VFR title and the mobile games.
Speaking of getting into Doom, someone named Thathomestar had a Doom guide in their blog https://thathomestar.wordpress.com/2019/04/12/how-to-doom/ which has a lot of stuff in it.
There's also this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ietb4JwaaXA
Which has more mod reccomendations and even then, there's still a lot of solid material from the community, which you can learn more from following some creators, blogs, accounts/channels that post Doom mod/wad stuff and even some sites like Doomworld or ZDoom forums.
And even though QC:DE has a lot of FPS characters, to me the FPS Smash is Samsara since characters actually have their weapons most of the time instead of a direct Quake title and some even have little details from their games, which sort of parallels when Smash adds cool details to its characters.
Some Samsara characters aren't that faithfull due to balance, code and design related issues like the Hexen cleric being all the three classes or the Chex Warrior behaving differently.
There's addons for Samsara too that add characters but they may not be as good.
Also, a good way to get the classics legally is with the classic collection on GOG but i don't recall that including NRFTL.
As for Doom 64, D64 EX exists but requires the N64 Rom of the game.

At least we've had a new trailer at the VGA'S and it appears there's some eyeless Imp like enemy?
Wonder what's his role.
I think the visor part is that a problem with the new direction of the Doom Slayer is when his suit almost makes him a bit too close to Master Chief, like nobody at id or Bethesda seemed to be aware.
And i mean this in a way where to me, the characters never had much in common besides surface takes like "green space marines from iconic FPS games" and some power level arguements.
It might have something to do with the power level/power fantasy direction too, even if Doomguy is a character that is meant to take damage while fighting demons.
He was a Doomed marine after all and while i like stuff from the new games, it can feel a bit exaggerative when they almost treat him like a super hero.
That's kind of why i prefer the direction with his visible bloody face going "unf" over a faceless and fully silent direction, because Doomguy faces challenges on his way.
He gets shot, stabbed, scratched, cursed and crushed but comes back with ammo and health because he never gives up.

VGA's sucked as usual, but some reasons to suck can be surprising.
I wonder how the ports having fanmade wads is going to work considering the use of Dehacked, modified enemies, assets from other games, slaughterwads etc because i can see some good intention in the idea but i wonder if id Software will try to be in touch a lot more with fans for this.

Someone here said they got bored with 2016: Is it because of the arena lockdown focus?
I remember MatthewMatosis talking about it in a short clip in his second microvideos video and a problem with that is how it doesn't allow more creative enemy encounters due to lack of actual enemy placement and the enemy amount in action.
Eternal may fix this if they get more creative but at the same time, you can always play any megawad with a gameplay mod inspired by the reboot so D4T + Whispers of Satan is like if 2016 had enemy placement similar to the classic games.
It can be a problem because even when there's enemy variety, level design can help to make fighting these different enemies even more potentially interesting, so i assume this is why Revenants don't really feel like they're shooting homing rockets.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, to give some life to this thread, I decided to share something I made. After what we know from the "leak" and how the Cacodemon's Mii hat is there, I realized that maybe we could get more Mii Costumes of Doom. Not many but a few.

Besides the Cacodemon, what about an obvious one? The Cyberdemon. It could fit quite right with the Mii Gunner. The potential is there. Besides thinking of Doomguy/Doom Slayer's possibility of being playable, the costumes are also another hypothetical to think about.

And this is where I come in. Besides the two aforementioned, what about this robotic epic fellow from Doom 2016 as a Mii Costume?

SAMUEL HAYDEN CONTINUES HIS WORK!

IMG_20191218_040321.jpg

(Alt Title: SAMUEL HAYDEN HAS NO CHOICE!)

Oh yes, considering how much I liked the character while playing, I figured he deserves a chance as some kind of representation in Ultimate, and if he doesn't get something, then here's this Mii Fighter I created.

IMG_20191218_035316.jpg

"SPOILERS for DOOM 2016 in case you haven't played the game."

Considering how he was like at the end of Doom 2016 and what he used, I realized that it made sense to have him as a Swordfighter with the Crucible.

"SPOILERS for DOOM 2016 in case you haven't played the game."

Moves are based on what I feel he could potentially do with his robotic anatomy and abilities. And the voice, I debated in giving him a voice or not but considering that his voice is part of what makes him awesome, I decided that he should get one. Therefore, the voice he has seemed like the more fitting.

Feel free to either download him or make your own Mii resembling Samuel Hayden. Let's see if we do get a Mii Costume based on him or if this is the closest thing to it.

:bowser:.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
So i've been thinking about the Cacomallow leak, and i've had an epiphany. The main argument i've always heard going against Cacomallow was "Nintendo never took it down, so therefore it must be fake". Which is a great point, and I haven't really been able to refute it. At least until literally a couple seconds ago, thanks to some Google searching. Usually when people bring up the fact that the Ken leak never got taken down, someone would say that "Nintendo doesn't take down image leaks". Well that statement is 100% false, Nintendo HAS taken down image leaks before. They took down some Pokemon: Sword and Shield images on the EXACT date of the Cacomallow leak. Which that alone is pretty interesting, however, let's go back a bit. Remember when I said the Ken leak never got taken down? Well it's true, nothing ever happened to that leak. Which is incredibly strange, that leak came out a few months before the game came out and Nintendo never touched it. Meanwhile some Sword and Shield images leak, and they get taken down a few days later(during the release month of the game as well). Now i'm not saying this makes Cacomallow real, but I am saying that I don't really think the whole "Nintendo's gotta take it down, or it's fake" argument holds water anymore. Now Cacomallow does have video evidence as well, but I think if Nintendo doesn't do anything about a fighter leaking, then it's pretty reasonable to assume that they wouldn't do anything about costumes either.

Sources:
Pokemon images takedown: https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1191567033969889281/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1191567033969889281&ref_url=https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/nintendo-copyright-pokemon-sword-shield-leaks-1222067

Ken leak article(it still has the image attached, and it's been well over a year): https://www.nintendo-insider.com/rumour-ken-leaked-in-super-smash-bros-ultimate-screenshot/

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
So i've been thinking about the Cacomallow leak, and i've had an epiphany. The main argument i've always heard going against Cacomallow was "Nintendo never took it down, so therefore it must be fake". Which is a great point, and I haven't really been able to refute it. At least until literally a couple seconds ago, thanks to some Google searching. Usually when people bring up the fact that the Ken leak never got taken down, someone would say that "Nintendo doesn't take down image leaks". Well that statement is 100% false, Nintendo HAS taken down image leaks before. They took down some Pokemon: Sword and Shield images on the EXACT date of the Cacomallow leak. Which that alone is pretty interesting, however, let's go back a bit. Remember when I said the Ken leak never got taken down? Well it's true, nothing ever happened to that leak. Which is incredibly strange, that leak came out a few months before the game came out and Nintendo never touched it. Meanwhile some Sword and Shield images leak, and they get taken down a few days later(during the release month of the game as well). Now i'm not saying this makes Cacomallow real, but I am saying that I don't really think the whole "Nintendo's gotta take it down, or it's fake" argument holds water anymore. Now Cacomallow does have video evidence as well, but I think if Nintendo doesn't do anything about a fighter leaking, then it's pretty reasonable to assume that they wouldn't do anything about costumes either.

Sources:
Pokemon images takedown: https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1191567033969889281/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1191567033969889281&ref_url=https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/nintendo-copyright-pokemon-sword-shield-leaks-1222067

Ken leak article(it still has the image attached, and it's been well over a year): https://www.nintendo-insider.com/rumour-ken-leaked-in-super-smash-bros-ultimate-screenshot/
It's also funny seeing everyone jumping straight to the "If it's taken down, it's confirmed" mentality, which further supports the Streisand Effect to the fullest extent.

If the Cacomallow leak happens to be taken down, 100% sure the leak will be considered real, which might confirm the next characters (and ruin the surprise for everybody).

American Nintendo is probably getting smarter with these leaks (And I'm pretty sure the Japanese Nintendo is the one claiming them without realizing the huge effect it causes... Remember, Japan has a different culture and mindset than us) and they are letting the leaks be there, to plant doubt in everybody, until the leaks are forgotten (Not many is discussing the leak anymore, except enthusiast believers)

Still believe the leak is real until the last DLC of the game comes and it's not Geno or Doomguy.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Sources:

That’s what I’m think

Nintendo might be aware that if they take down the leaks that would tell them it’s real

And there’s ben real leaks before that have not ben taken down like ken

Heck now that I think about it I don’t believe the roster image leak back at smash 4 was taken down I still saw images before and after the release (then again once on the internet it can’t go away)

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Sources:

You know, from my view, the CacoMallow leak has Nintendo in a rock-and-hard-place type of situation.

If they take the leak down, they risk ruining the surprise depending on what context it has. It could be that there will just be those Mii Costumes. They could be bundled with post-Pass fighters like the much-affiliated Doom Slayer and Geno. They could be bundled with Fighter #5 as a wave of multi-company costumes like how Goemon (Konami) and Sans (Toby Fox) were Mii Costumes released with Banjo & Kazooie (Microsoft). We genuinely don't know the release schedule of the DLC for FP5 and beyond, thus we're still left in the dark.

On the other hand, if they keep the leak up for the world to see, then the memory of the leak is still implanted in the minds of viewers and ruins the surprise in a different manner. Like, think back to when Ken was revealed: people watching the reveal have instant flashes to the leak and clamoring about how the leak was true. That being said, the blow from ruining the surprise might be softened a little considering the leak has Mii Costumes and not actual new fighters, so we're not looking at an "ESRB Leak" type of situation where Shulk, Dark Pit, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt were revealed to be playable with both screenshots and footage.

Now I'm sure what I represented is practically non-existent considering they didn't take down the Ken leak, but I feel that with this especially, this is really giving Nintendo one of the hardest Smash leak choices of its continuing existence.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
So not only are we completely blind to FP5, but if all of the rumours for the past few months are true, we could be getting

>Doom Slayer
>Ryu Hayabusa
>Reimu
>Crash Bandicoot
ect.

For post pass.

Wow.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
So not only are we completely blind to FP5, but if all of the rumours for the past few months are true, we could be getting

>Doom Slayer
>Ryu Hayabusa
>Reimu
>Crash Bandicoot
ect.

For post pass.

Wow.
God do I hope we get at least some of those characters, those are some great picks.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I can totally see Dragonborn being chosen over Doomguy for FP5, given that the game was popular in Japan and it was Switch launch title. But I just can't buy that the Cacodemon costume would come with a Skyrim character.

With the exception of Banjo, the new mii costumes we've gotten are somewhat directly related to the fighter they came with.

The new costumes that came with Joker are from Persona only. We didn't get any SMT costumes like Jack Frost when we easily could've.
The new costumes that came with Hero are strictly from Dragon Quest.
The new costumes that came with Terry are characters that appeared in KoF with him. Marco/Metal Slug characters were an obvious Mii Gunner outfit but didn't happen.

Skyrim has enough options itself to give us 10+ mii costumes. Plus we haven't had more than six costumes per wave so I find it hard to imagine that we use two for Doom (because if Doom gets mii costume'd then the Cacodemon would come with a Doom guy outfit obviously). Which leaves four spots for Skyrim and returning costumes.

I also think they would still need to consult with ID Software for the mii costumes too. Just another layer of work for two costumes.

But of course I could be wrong and this isn't really a pattern. I mean Terry's costumes are from different series even though they're all KoF costumes. I just don't think they would Mii Gunner Doom if they didn't Mii Gunner Metal Slug. Just my two cents.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I can totally see Dragonborn being chosen over Doomguy for FP5, given that the game was popular in Japan and it was Switch launch title. But I just can't buy that the Cacodemon costume would come with a Skyrim character.

With the exception of Banjo, the new mii costumes we've gotten are somewhat directly related to the fighter they came with.

The new costumes that came with Joker are from Persona only. We didn't get any SMT costumes like Jack Frost when we easily could've.
The new costumes that came with Hero are strictly from Dragon Quest.
The new costumes that came with Terry are characters that appeared in KoF with him. Marco/Metal Slug characters were an obvious Mii Gunner outfit but didn't happen.

Skyrim has enough options itself to give us 10+ mii costumes. Plus we haven't had more than six costumes per wave so I find it hard to imagine that we use two for Doom (because if Doom gets mii costume'd then the Cacodemon would come with a Doom guy outfit obviously). Which leaves four spots for Skyrim and returning costumes.

I also think they would still need to consult with ID Software for the mii costumes too. Just another layer of work for two costumes.

But of course I could be wrong and this isn't really a pattern. I mean Terry's costumes are from different series even though they're all KoF costumes. I just don't think they would Mii Gunner Doom if they didn't Mii Gunner Metal Slug. Just my two cents.
To be fair Terry at least had the privilage of appearing in every KoF installment and being a core member of the series even if he wasn't the protagonist of KoF. Skyrim and Doom have never collaborated together and both of these worlds are separate from each other. If Jack Frost, the mascot of Atlus themselves, didn't appear as a mii costume or at the spirit board of Joker's pack, then I don't think Dragonborn or Doomguy would bring content of the other character with them. For the record I would love to see both Dragonborn and Doomguy in Smash so I'm really conflicted in this topic.

KillerCage

Smash Master
To be fair Terry at least had the privilage of appearing in every KoF installment and being a core member of the series even if he wasn't the protagonist of KoF. Skyrim and Doom have never collaborated together and both of these worlds are separate from each other
Actually you can the remains of the Dragonborn inside a cave within Hell, suggesting the world of Skyrim was invaded by demons and comsumed.
Granted it is just a cameo, but the point still stand.

Top Bottom