• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

coolmancool

Smash Cadet
I see his shotgun as his tilts personally. there is multiple way they could theoratically made him.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I kind of want to see Doom Guy mostly fight hand to hand with his weapons being saved for his specials and smash attacks. It'd be like he's in a perpetual Berserk mode.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Speaking of beserk, I think the Doom stage should feature powerups like Beserk, Quad Damage and Regeneration that buff the players. Nice little gimmick to keep the stage unique.
Also, would you prefer Phobos or Hell being the stage? I could see a level that starts on mars but gets corrupted/invaded and transitions into hell.

Smashhacker

Smash Rookie
A stage that transitions between various Doom maps between Phobos, Deimos, and Hell could work. Add in a couple of Doom 2 maps as well as there are a lot of iconic maps there, even if most of them are infamous in design.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Speaking of beserk, I think the Doom stage should feature powerups like Beserk, Quad Damage and Regeneration that buff the players. Nice little gimmick to keep the stage unique.
Also, would you prefer Phobos or Hell being the stage? I could see a level that starts on mars but gets corrupted/invaded and transitions into hell.
I'm thinking more Retro in regards to Doom Guy. Have the stage look like it came straight out of DOS with sprite Imps throwing fireballs onto the stage. Have the original Cyber Demon as the stage boss shooting rockets at the players. Take lots of elements from Knee Deep in the Dead. Maybe have the Smash Bros HUD replaced with the Doom HUD with sprite versions of the character portraits. That would be pretty awesome.

Or have it at first look like the DOS doom and then a Cyber Demon smashes it and reveals the modern Doom level.

Smashhacker

Smash Rookie
So would the Cyberdemon look like the Doom Eternal design (which is essentially an updated version of the classic design) or would it strictly be the classic design as its 3d model?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So would the Cyberdemon look like the Doom Eternal design (which is essentially an updated version of the classic design) or would it strictly be the classic design as its 3d model?
Wait, wasn't the Doom Eternal!Cyberdemon just called the Tyrant? Regardless, I dunno. I personally liked the '16!Cyberdemon, but I can see why people are attached to the classic version (which is basically the Eternal version). But if I had to pick, I guess the Eternal design could work.

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
I’m super a fan. I also think the OP need be updated- being third party certainly is not a disadvantage at this stage in the game.
I’d also say, even after BK, that Master Chief poses more of a competition than Skyrim (for me).
Or if we are going for other Bethesda titles, I think that Vault Guy could make it, as Fallout is still a major contemporary series, and with some of its own quirks (not to mention, filling the Chibi cute field, while being gorey).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wait, wasn't the Doom Eternal!Cyberdemon just called the Tyrant? Regardless, I dunno. I personally liked the '16!Cyberdemon, but I can see why people are attached to the classic version (which is basically the Eternal version). But if I had to pick, I guess the Eternal design could work.
I really liked the Doom 3 Cyberdemon design as well, ignoring how its fight was different from “shoot it till it dies”, with only the Soul Cube being able to damage it. Speaking of... Was just thinking about it earlier, but I like the idea of the Soul Cube as an item for Smash, in that it would zap a decent chunk of health from the opponent and transfer the health to you, healing you in the process.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am going to go out on a limb and say that the Chainsaw WILL be one of his attacks. I don't think it is an if.

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
wanted to come in and say I have a really good feeling about Doomguy's chances. Fingers crossed anyways.

Now what are you guys thinking in regards to his speed? The doom series has placed a lot of importance on how fast you move, so how should that transfer over? I would personally be happy if he was tied with Ridley in sprint speed.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
wanted to come in and say I have a really good feeling about Doomguy's chances. Fingers crossed anyways.

Now what are you guys thinking in regards to his speed? The doom series has placed a lot of importance on how fast you move, so how should that transfer over? I would personally be happy if he was tied with Ridley in sprint speed.
I think making his speed a solid 3 would do the trick, if we're going by this vid:

Additionally, if you want to capitalize on a meme; make his walking speed his running speed.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So like, recalling all the different taunts you could have in Doom 2016’s multiplayer, does that give any good ideas as to what taunts should be for Smash if he were to get in? All those random dancing emotes, etc. Which were your favorites?

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So like, recalling all the different taunts you could have in Doom 2016’s multiplayer, does that give any good ideas as to what taunts should be for Smash if he were to get in? All those random dancing emotes, etc. Which were your favorites?
I'd really prefer Doom Guy never does any of those taunts. Most of them are really cringey in my opinion. I'd want him to be more serious and angry like a cut throat gesture, smashing the ground with his fist and cracking his knuckles readying himself for a fight with a subtle wholesome undertone like stroking his pet rabbit daisy or fist bumping a toy version of himself to show that he still has some humanity.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
If Doomguy doesn't dab in Ultimate game sucks :4pacman:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If he doesn't have a taunt where he fistbumps a tiny action figure of himself, then I'm calling shenanigans.

I'd hope for Dance 1, the Doom Shuffle, or something simple like cracking his knuckles.

As a side note, something like this could be one of his victory poses.

D

Deleted member

And like that we may need to hold our horses a little bit:
https://youtu.be/dJ7ulqjS_Vg?t=476

Go to 7:40

The question was about the Slayer in Mortal Kombat. They brought up Smash bros without being asked. Not a good sign.
I don’t really see how this is a bad thing when grant himself denied about banjo making it in before he was announced

You can lie if your under an nda. But not every lie is a good sign for him

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I just had a thought:

So far, with each DLC Spirit Board that’s been added to the game, there’s always been this one group spirit that has an effect exclusive to them. First the Phantom Thieves of Hearts with their Item Autograb, the the Hero’s Comrades with their Team Power Up. Maybe if Doom Slayer makes it into Smash, his Spirit Board can include the Night Sentinels as a Spirit? Now I don’t know what their exclusive effect could be, but I imagine it would be pretty powerful since the Night Sentinels were so powerful and revered lore-wise iirc.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
What are everyone’s thoughts on the original trilogy being ported to Switch? How are they? I’m trying to figure out where to start with the series.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
What are everyone’s thoughts on the original trilogy being ported to Switch? How are they? I’m trying to figure out where to start with the series.
I only bought the first two games, but decided to hold back on Doom 3 due to my worrying that it'll take up too much storage. I mean, 7.3 gigs of data is pretty big. On the other hand, I'm personally enjoying Doom 1, and I'm not playing Doom 2 until after I finish the first game.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
It's good that they're on the Switch, but they need to fix the music. It's all in the wrong tempo. Not to mention the bethesda.net sign in BS. Overall, if you really wanna play the classic Doom titles, PC is just better. Depending on the source port it doesn't even require a strong computer.

My personally recommended way to play the classics is on GZDoom (source port) with Roland SC-55 flac rips for the music, smoothed weapons, enhanced Brightmaps, Hi-Res SFX and sound caulking. Even this much doesn't require a very strong PC at all, at least for the standard maps (larger, fan made ones can be more taxing).

If you wanna go all out, full ham, you can get all the official classic Doom releases (Ultimate Doom, Sigil, Doom II, Master Levels for Doom II, No Rest For the Living, and Final Doom) and smoosh them all together so you can play them all in one run without changing iwads.

so, TL;DR: Switch ports are OK, but they still need work, and PC is still the best way to play them. IMO the login BS and the music being messed up is enough reason to not have them be someone's introduction to the series.

Doom 3 isn't a bad game but it's not a great introduction either, seeing as that game has a different tone and approach than the rest of the series. New DOOM is an OK place to start, it doesn't rely on the player having played the originals, but if you can play the originals I would recommend it.

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
It's good that they're on the Switch, but they need to fix the music. It's all in the wrong tempo. Not to mention the bethesda.net sign in BS. Overall, if you really wanna play the classic Doom titles, PC is just better. Depending on the source port it doesn't even require a strong computer.

My personally recommended way to play the classics is on GZDoom (source port) with Roland SC-55 flac rips for the music, smoothed weapons, enhanced Brightmaps, Hi-Res SFX and sound caulking. Even this much doesn't require a very strong PC at all, at least for the standard maps (larger, fan made ones can be more taxing).

If you wanna go all out, full ham, you can get all the official classic Doom releases (Ultimate Doom, Sigil, Doom II, Master Levels for Doom II, No Rest For the Living, and Final Doom) and smoosh them all together so you can play them all in one run without changing iwads.

so, TL;DR: Switch ports are OK, but they still need work, and PC is still the best way to play them. IMO the login BS and the music being messed up is enough reason to not have them be someone's introduction to the series.

Doom 3 isn't a bad game but it's not a great introduction either, seeing as that game has a different tone and approach than the rest of the series. New DOOM is an OK place to start, it doesn't rely on the player having played the originals, but if you can play the originals I would recommend it.
I couldn't agree more with these recommendations. GZDoom is definitely the best, it gives you alot of options too. You can basically tweak Doom 1 and 2 to the best Doom experience you could possibly have. I would also suggest, if your up for replaying them after you've beat the first two games. Then try beating them again with Brutal Doom, I know the mod gets a bad rep by alot of "Doom Purists", but if your replaying them after beating the games. then I don't see any harm in trying out the mod. It did inspire Doom 2016 after all. Fair warning though, as the name suggests the mod adds alot of blood and gore, however it also pretty much changes the whole gameplay experience(in a good way). Whenever people say "Doomguy is too violent for Smash" they're probably imagining gameplay of this mod, or Doom 2016. It's a niche(but important part of Doom's history), it's a great mod for replaying the original games though!

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I meant movewide.
Oh, okay.

Doom Slayer has a big arsenal of weapons across the games. He has a pistol, his most basic weapon, a shotgun, which does some serious damage up close, and the iconic Super Shotgun, which does the same thing tenfold. He also has a chaingun, a chainsaw, a plasma gun, a rocket launcher and more recently, an assault rifle and the Gauss cannon, which is basically a big handheld railgun. Then he has the Weapon Mods, enhancements to his current arsenal that further diversify their functions, whether it be locking onto enemies with the rocket launcher, turning the chaingun into several smaller chainguns or my personal favorite, using a Scorpion-style harpoon to reel yourself towards the opponent. But the cherry on top of this sundae of dead demon meat is none other than the BFG-9000, a gun that can practically destroy every demon in a room with a single shot. And in Doom Eternal, he has an arm-mounted blade and a shoulder-mounted cannon that's also a flamethrower.

To put it simply, he's armed to the friggin teeth.

In addition, he's also fast, has a brutal punch, and can perform Glory Kills, brutal finishers that can restore Doom Slayer's health. The aforementioned chainsaw can be used to replenish the ammo in his guns, and the flamethrower can set the demons on fire and allow him to attack said burning demons to replenish his armor.

Hopefully, you understand all of my gushing.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Not sure if this has been posted but I had to share.
1564881675315.png

(Full sized here)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm a Dragonborn supporter, so I hope he's chosen as the Bethesda rep instead, but if Doomguy does get chosen I hope they make promotional art like that pic. It honestly looks super cool, in character without being over the top, and reminds me a lot of Smash 4's promotion character posters.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Dragonborn supporter, so I hope he's chosen as the Bethesda rep instead, but if Doomguy does get chosen I hope they make promotional art like that pic. It honestly looks super cool, in character without being over the top, and reminds me a lot of Smash 4's promotion character posters.
It's still weird to me that Doomguy is considered a Bethesda rep, iv'e just always associated him with id software. I guess since id is owned by Zenimax, then that does make him a Bethesda rep. When I think of Bethesda, however, I think of Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Definitely not Doom, if Nintendo or Sakurai were trying to represent Bethesda, then i'd feel that they would go for one of the characters from those series(like Dragonborn)instead. If Doomguy gets in, then I feel it was because of how legendary the Doom series is, and the series' long history with Nintendo.

Last edited:

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
Regardless on whether or not the ports are that bad, i feel like we shouldn't settle for something lesser when better options are still out there.
GOG has the classic collection and for Doom 64, i guess you could go with the EX fan source port (Unless the official port from the same dev comes out and is actually good).
There's a lot of ports out there: Chocolate Doom is the most faithfull one.
Crispy Doom i think is based of ChocoDoom but with some additions and PrBoom+ is good for vanilla maps that otherwise can be a bit heavy on GZDoom.
GZDoom is good for the amount of mods and options but just to say this:
* It's not as faithfull, mainly because of default settings, changes under the hood and some changes possibly coming from Heretic/Hexen.
* Some default settings can be a bit annoying or intrusive.
* Some mods work with older/previous versions of GZDoom because whenever the source port updates, that is something that can happen.
* Some vanilla maps that are really huge run better in PrBoom+ for example.
It's a good source port but not without some faults, honestly.
There's also a lot of wads and maps being made, which are a compliment to how Doom's core gameplay never ages.

There's also a lot of gameplay mods out there to try like GMOTA, High Noon Drifter, Dakka, Samsara, MetaDoom, some of PillowBlaster's works, Colorfull Hell, Final Doomer and others.
Some can have some flaws that make them not fit with some maps (Brutal Doom was kind of an example with its weird balance and code) but sometimes, mixing a gameplay mod and a mapset always creates a new experience.
I think this guide could help.
https://thathomestar.wordpress.com/2019/04/12/how-to-doom/
You could also look up Youtube/Twitter/Tumblr accounts dedicated to Doom content and even some Doom related forums or any mod/mod resource hosting place.
I even found some Doom threads on /vr/ to be helpful.

Speaking of Doomguy's background, don't forget the intermission screens in the games and even the intructions manuals, which is how we know about Daisy and beating up his corrupt boss.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know what I find really weird?

That they showed the Marauder for Doom Eternal last year and since then, they’ve showed very little of it. I wonder why? Is it because it’s super important to the story and closely tied to the Doom Slayer besides its similar appearance? Is there a particular backstory behind this big bad demon? It couldn’t be like the Doomhunter in the sense that it was created just to hunt the Slayer.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
You know what I find really weird?

That they showed the Marauder for Doom Eternal last year and since then, they’ve showed very little of it. I wonder why? Is it because it’s super important to the story and closely tied to the Doom Slayer besides its similar appearance? Is there a particular backstory behind this big bad demon? It couldn’t be like the Doomhunter in the sense that it was created just to hunt the Slayer.
My guess is it's a corrupted/demonized Night Sentinel, and that's why it has ties to the Slayer. But who knows that might be too easy of a guess.

Honestly it's a little crazy to say but for once I'm as excited for the story of a Doom game as I am for the gameplay. What a time to be alive.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
My guess is it's a corrupted/demonized Night Sentinel, and that's why it has ties to the Slayer. But who knows that might be too easy of a guess.

Honestly it's a little crazy to say but for once I'm as excited for the story of a Doom game as I am for the gameplay. What a time to be alive.
It'd be hilarious if it was Doomguy from Doom 3. It wouldn't make alot of sense, but i'd definitely be down for it!

We're definitely living in an alternate universe. With Doom games having interesting stories and with the possibility of us getting Doomguy in Smash Bros, it makes me think i'm in a fever dream. I know Doomguy's not confirmed or anything, but the fact that we're even discussing about it in this very thread is mind blowing. If you would've brought up Doomguy during the Brawl, or Smash 4 days, people would have laughed at you and called you crazy! Now it's a serious discussion, oh how times have changed.

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
It's still weird to me that Doomguy is considered a Bethesda rep, iv'e just always associated him with id software. I guess since id is owned by Zenimax, then that does make him a Bethesda rep. When I think of Bethesda, however, I think of Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Definitely not Doom, if Nintendo or Sakurai were trying to represent Bethesda, then i'd feel that they would go for one of the characters from those series(like Dragonborn)instead. If Doomguy gets in, then I feel it was because of how legendary the Doom series is, and the series' long history with Nintendo.
To be fair, that’s exactly what happened with Banjo and Kazooie. The team wasn’t trying to rep Microsoft, they chose Banjo based on the series popularity and history with Nintendo.

Top Bottom