• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Polan

Smash Lord
Pete Hines was on the latest Nintendo Power Podcast, he said some interesting things that stood out. (Honestly even having him on this podcast says a lot to me.)
He mentions the overlap between Bethesda and Nintendo fans a lot and how people bought Switch just to play the games and moved over to buying more games.
It reminded me a lot of what Reggie said about how Smash DLC was picked.
He also mentions "who knows, maybe some more surprises for Nintendo fans" at 39:14.
*heavy breathing*

if it wasn't for that earlier "oh yeah" response, i might have just said nintendo costumes in doom eternal. but oh man the pieces are falling into place...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Pete Hines was on the latest Nintendo Power Podcast, he said some interesting things that stood out. (Honestly even having him on this podcast says a lot to me.)
He mentions the overlap between Bethesda and Nintendo fans a lot and how people bought Switch just to play the games and moved over to buying more games.
It reminded me a lot of what Reggie said about how Smash DLC was picked.
He also mentions "who knows, maybe some more surprises for Nintendo fans" at 39:14.
Holy ****. This is a really good sign, probably the best one we’ve had yet.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Pete Hines was on the latest Nintendo Power Podcast, he said some interesting things that stood out.
He mentions the overlap between Bethesda and Nintendo fans a lot and how people bought Switch just to play the games and moved over to buying more games. It reminded me a lot of what Reggie said about how Smash DLC was picked. He also mentions "who knows, maybe some more surprises for Nintendo fans" at 39:14.
I wouldn't take what Reggie said at the VGAs seriously. He basically said that the DLC lineup would be characters new to the series so he's stating the obvious.

However, Pete Hines' statement at 39:14 does raise a few eyebrows. Since Vergeben has redeemed himself with Erdrick and Banjo Kazooie joining the roster, we'll see what he has to say when he gets new information, that's if he still wants to be an insider. As of now, I think Doom Guy does have a decent chance since he is a parallel to the Dragon Quest heroes and Sakurai was satisfied with how Grant Kirkhope composed the Spiral Mountain soundtrack so he could be more open to overseas developers. He might have to compete with Vault Boy and the Dragonborn but I don't believe Sakurai would pick them over Doom Guy since Vault Boy isn't a main character nor important to the story of Fallout and the Dragonborn is way too realistic for Smash Bros. Sure there is Snake but even Metal Gear Solid has some quirkiness to to it that makes Snake feel right in Smash Bros. Lastly unlike Villager and Inkling, the Dragonborn doesn't have an identity much like the Chosen undead so it can be pretty difficult to make him faithful to the Elder Scrolls series. Not to mention that the Dragon Quest characters pull off the medieval fantasy vibe sublimely themselves.

One thing to keep in mind is the Mii costume theory which does lower Doom Guy's chances a bit. Sega have got their Mii costumes back into Smash Ultimate, while some of them are gone like Jacky and Akira costumes, the Tails and Knuckles costumes came back. Square Enix have already gotten their character into the DLC with the Dragon Quest heroes and I'm betting they will be bringing back the Chocobo and the Geno costumes (Sorry Geno boys) with some Dragon Quest mii costumes. If we're continuing on from that then Capcom and Namco would probably take the two remaining spots which could be Chris Redfield and probably Lloyd Irving if we take this 4chan leak from "Sal Romano" seriously.

All in all I think Doom Guy is in decent place right now. The Mii costumes could release on their own without a Fighter or Capcom and Namco may not even be interested in releasing another character for Smash Ultimate so the deck is clear right now. Keep believing in Doom Guy you guys. I believed in Banjo Kazooie joining Smash Bros and I felt every hurt and pain along the way from fake leaks to the Smash 4 ballot to the Grinch Leak and despite the flack we got from the detractors, we finally got them in Smash Ultimate. I'm right behind you guys as a secondary Doom Guy supporter!

Here's a motivational picture for you guys. Keep looking at it and think that this picture could become a reality! :^)

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
if we take this 4chan leak from "Sal Romano" seriously.

The fact that the Hero and BK didn't release at E3 IMO puts some serious holes in this "leak". Not to mention, he speaks of the RE palette swap, yet doesn't mention the Hero's, actually mentions Fem Erdrick which didn't happen, and gets the default skin wrong (Eleven not Erdrick). Even then Erdrick/DQ and BK were easy guesses.

So yeah, that one is pretty clearly BS if you ask me.

On the subject of that podcast interview with Hines, I feel like the timing COULD be telling, but I am very much aware my perspective is skewed. He could easily be referring to upcoming unannounced game launches on the switch. Hard to say.

Watch that Doom Slayer doesn't wake Smash but Mortal Komat 11 instead.
Almost certainly not happening. Ash has been talked about for longer, by Boon himself even, and they've datamined dialogue for him. Ash is all but confirmed. He fits MK better anyways, being a horror icon like Jason, Freddy, Leatherface, Alien, and Predator.

He's one of the main inspirations for Doomguy (chainsaw, shotgun wielding demon killer) so he would make Doomguy's inclusion rather redundant. They're not getting both and Ash is like 95% for sure at this point.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ash has been talked about for longer, by Boon himself even, and they've even datamined dialogue for him. Ash is all but confirmed, and he fits MK better anyways, being a horror icon like Jason, Freddy, Leatherface, Alien, and Predator.
Which is weird, considering Bruce Campbell has repeatedly and vehemently said that Ash is not in the game.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Which is weird, considering Bruce Campbell has repeatedly and vehemently said that Ash is not in the game.
Yeah that's the one thing that kind of gives me pause, but if I'm not mistaken, he has lied to fans in the past about stuff, and if he has an NDA it might just be how he feels like dealing with it. I mean the Kombat Pack trailer really looks like it's confirming everything, friggin Spawn is in for sure.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Correct me if I am wrong, but is it possible, keyword: possible that Hines got permission from Nintendo to reveal Doomguy in Smash Bros. at QuakeCon? Like how Ubisoft got permission to reveal Star Fox in StarLink in their E3 2018 conference?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Correct me if I am wrong, but is it possible, keyword: possible that Hines got permission from Nintendo to reveal Doomguy in Smash Bros. at QuakeCon? Like how Ubisoft got permission to reveal Star Fox in StarLink in their E3 2018 conference?
I think if Doomguy is in, then he would be revealed by Nintendo.

Banjo also isn’t out until Fall so I’d say at least not until Banjo has a definitive date.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I think if Doomguy is in, then he would be revealed by Nintendo.
Yeah agreed, Star-Fox was appearing in a Ubi game. So it's not the same with this, its flipped.

He could still be announced at Quake(DOOM)con, but I definitely think someone from Nintendo would be there to do the announcing. The fact that Doomguy is almost certainly more of a thing for western fans than Japanese fans, him being announced at a more west focused event would make some sense. Pretty sure the reverse has happened in the past with some of the more Japanese-centric fighters.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Yeah agreed, Star-Fox was appearing in a Ubi game. So it's not the same with this, its flipped.

He could still be announced at Quake(DOOM)con, but I definitely think someone from Nintendo would be there to do the announcing. The fact that Doomguy is almost certainly more of a thing for western fans than Japanese fans, him being announced at a more west focused event would make some sense. Pretty sure the reverse has happened in the past with some of the more Japanese-centric fighters.
I think it happened only with :4shulk: for a Japan 3DS Direct.

Otherwise it’s always been international reveals.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well it's either
- Doom Slayer in Smash
- Nintendo content in Doom Eternal
- Ports of older Doom games
- amiibo for Doom Eternal

Smash or ports seems likeliest.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Well it's either
- Doom Slayer in Smash
- Nintendo content in Doom Eternal
- Ports of older Doom games
- amiibo for Doom Eternal

Smash or ports seems likeliest.
It could theoretically be other things for other Bethesda properties, but nothing else I can think of would be as "hype" as the things you suggest, or relevant. Elder Scrolls doesn't have anything; Skyrim is already long on Switch, Blades is a joke to most fans and has already been talked about, and ES6 is still a ways off.
Evil Within/Ghostwire are just not as big/surprising. Everything Wolfenstein has already been on the switch or announced for it...

And on the other hand, it is "the year of DOOM", and arguably the year of Smash for Nintendo.... sooooooo.... yeah.
Ports for old Doom games, if not something more, seem likely based on current events and timing alone.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It could theoretically be other things for other Bethesda properties, but nothing else I can think of would be as "hype" as the things you suggest, or relevant. Elder Scrolls doesn't have anything, Skyrim is already long on Switch, Blades is a joke to most fans and has already been talked about, and ES6 is still a ways off.
Evil Within/Ghostwire are just not as that big. Everything Wolfenstein has already been on the switch or announced for it...

On the other hand, it is the year of DOOM, and arguable the year of Smash for Nintendo.... sooooooo.... yeah.
Ports for old games, if not something more, seem likely based on current events and timing alone.
When you listen to the quote in context, Hines was specifically referring to DOOM, so it being another property doesn't really make sense.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
When you listen to the quote in context, Hines was specifically referring to DOOM, so it being another property doesn't really make sense.
Ah, yes, I have not listened to the whole thing yet.
Well, that's even better then!

Even if it just ends up being ports, I'll still be quite happy, been dying to play some Classic Doom (maybe even D64) on my switch and I really don't feel like hacking it just to do it.

Edit: OK listened to it.... ooof. A lot of the segment is completely "on topic", so to speak, for what we're hoping for. Not just that, he mention's DOOM's historical signifigance. The Nintendo person even says DOOM has a "Nintendo vibe." (quality-wise, based on what he was saying)
This... could really be something. The stars... could they actually...?

****ing-A, I just wish I could freeze myself till DOOM Eternal launches, this waiting and wondering is killing me. If he doesn't make it this time, at least we'll have Eternal to console us.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

I'm on board for most of this, but idk if I would trust Google Theory or the 5chan leak parts. Since those have incorrect info on them. Though the Artorias part might just be because it was Dark Souls DLC.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
That's who I was thinking of.

Hmm, so game awards would probably be more likely then.
Yeah, my money would be on the game awards.

Given how it'll release just prior to them will allow it to gobble up a couple of awards for that year.

And what better way to introduce the Doom Slayer than to have a Joker-styled interruption followed by a trailer

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Now that Banjo has broken the western-owned barrier I just need Geno and Doomguy for this game to be complete

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I'm on board for most of this, but idk if I would trust Google Theory or the 5chan leak parts. Since those have incorrect info on them. Though the Artorias part might just be because it was Dark Souls DLC.
The Google theory is a bust since the Dragon Quest protagonists got announced and the 5chan leak got as much stuff wrong as the Sal Romano 4chan leak I posted earlier so they are both irrelevant.

Pete Hines and Sakurai's acknowledgement of John Carmack are your best leads at the moment and if they start mass advertising Doom for the Switch as Pete seemingly implies, you'll be in a very good place. It happened with Dragon Quest with Switch ports and the movie and Banjo Kazooie started getting mass merchandising in late May so you guys best look out for that.

Like I said, Doom is a parallel of Dragon Quest. Doom is super popular in the west while Dragon Quest is super popular in the east. Dragon Quest is the godfather of JRPGs and Doom is the godfather of FPSs. If Dragon Quest can get into Smash Bros despite western obscurity then Doom can get into Smash Bros despite eastern obscurity!

Untouch

Smash Master
Apparently Kirkhope was contacted for Smash music in January?
That's when Gordon posted the listing for the "video game" project...

GolisoPower

Smash Master

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know something I am hoping for that will probably not happen officially? An animation or image where all of the DLC characters interact with each other. I would love to see Doomguy go up against the characters we have gotten, just for the sheer contrast.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Guys, a theory, I think that Doom Slayer (Doomguy) is going to fight against Ridley in his trailer. Perhaps a follow up regarding Samus and Ridley.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Guys, a theory, I think that Doom Slayer (Doomguy) is going to fight against Ridley in his trailer. Perhaps a follow up regarding Samus and Ridley.
Yep, had this thought earlier up the thread too. It feels like something that could really happen, especially since they re used the K Rool trailer setup for Banjo.
Metroid and Doom would go together as naturally as breathing IMO.

Last edited:

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Yep, had this thought earlier up the thread too. It feels like something that could really happen, especially since they re used the K Rool trailer setup for Banjo.
Don't forget, Ridley looks "demonic." So it makes sense why he would be his trailer rival.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I did some digging, and found something interesting:

In Banjo-Tooie, there was a Doom-esque FPS mode that you can access with Breegull Blaster. With this in mind and with Banjo in Smash Bros, I wonder if they can have that POV in Doom Slayer’s trailer at some point.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I did some digging, and found something interesting:

In Banjo-Tooie, there was a Doom-esque FPS mode that you can access with Breegull Blaster. With this in mind and with Banjo in Smash Bros, I wonder if they can have that POV in Doom Slayer’s trailer at some point.
Who woulda thought that Banjo was the FPS rep all along.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So Sakurai's comments about John Carmack, Pete Hines said they've talked to Nintendo in regards to Smash, him recently saying there are Doom related surprises for Nintendo fans and Mick Gordon saying he's working on a video game project related to Doom back in January.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190107212400/https://mick-gordon.com/666

Four points of evidence.
This is not a free gig. You will be paid and you will receive a credit.
Singer of the main theme aside, the vocalists don't get credited in Smash, do they?

Untouch

Smash Master
Singer of the main theme aside, the vocalists don't get credited in Smash, do they?
I think if there's anything pointing towards this not being for Smash, it's this.
That being said, there's nothing that says they'd have to be credited in Smash, could just be on his site or something.

It's Smash or DOOM Eternal, whatever is out first should have it in the credits.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I think he might go up against Galleom. Since it's kind of like Cyberdemon since it shoots and all that.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
To me Doom Slayer's reveal opponent would be someone who looks the part, not necesarrily someone who technically fits. Ganondorf isn't a bad opponent for him thematically, but I think Ridley, easily the most monstrous looking fighter by far, would be the obvious go to. He wouldn't be very out of place in DOOM, and they already have an HD model for him.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
To me Doom Slayer's reveal opponent would be someone who looks the part, not necesarrily someone who technically fits. Ganondorf isn't a bad opponent for him thematically, but I think Ridley, easily the most monstrous looking fighter by far, would be the obvious go to. He wouldn't be very out of place in DOOM, and they already have an HD model for him.
Helps that he has an alt that makes him into a cyborg.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
But we can all agree that Doom Slayer's Classic Mode boss is going to be Ganon, right? Given the fact that he is a demon.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
But we can all agree that Doom Slayer's Classic Mode boss is going to be Ganon, right? Given the fact that he is a demon.
Oh yeah, hell if the story trailer for Eternal is any indication, the Slayer looks like he'll be going up against some more humanoid targets (that aren't just mindless possessed) here and there anyways.

Last edited:

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Just a question for y'all if Doom Slayer's Classic Mode boss is going to be Ganon. Which DOOM song will fit in the boss fight if you guys had to choose?

Top Bottom