• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

GolisoPower

Smash Master
How was the leak proven fake? Was there something I missed? I'm not sure how it could be proven fake without the fighters being revealed.
Apparently, the leak said "Erdrick (Called Roto in Japan)" instead of just "Roto". The symbols in the name mainly used in the leak say 'エルドリック' (Erudorikku) instead of 'ロト' (Roto). I didn't know if it's just grasping for straws to prove it fake or if that's just an oversight on the leaker's part at first, but then loads more people started saying it's fake.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
How was the leak proven fake? Was there something I missed? I'm not sure how it could be proven fake without the fighters being revealed.
Any one can make false leaks. All it takes is someone confessing to make the false info or been taking in leak bait information for leaks to be fake. I believe it happens all the time for Smash.

Untouch

Smash Master
I didn't think the "leak" was ever real, still think DOOMguy is happening.
I actually DOOMguy is the character (besides Erdrick) who has the most pointing towards him being in Smash right now, funnily enough.

GrantVsZombies

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrantVsZombies
Switch FC
4191-5519-7802
Apparently, the leak said "Erdrick (Called Roto in Japan)" instead of just "Roto". The symbols in the name mainly used in the leak say 'エルドリック' (Erudorikku) instead of 'ロト' (Roto). I didn't know if it's just grasping for straws to prove it fake or if that's just an oversight on the leaker's part at first, but then loads more people started saying it's fake.
Eh. I mean, I'm not saying the leak is real, but I also don't think that necessarily disproves anything. It could still be true. We just won't know for sure until the next few fighters are announced.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't know why that stupid thing got so much traction in the first place. I thought everyone knew better by now. It's impossible for someone not actively working on the game to know that much. We don't even know if Erdrick's a done deal at this point and Joker's not even presentable enough to show gameplay of yet! Were we supposed to believe that nobody else knows ANYTHING about Joker and this one guy can just swoop in and drop explicit details on EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER on the pass, two of which are already heavily speculated by other "leakers" anyway, and with no proof?

The fact that Doomguy is seen as believable enough to "leak" is a blessing honestly. Being in a fake leak doesn't spell doom for Doomguy. :drshrug:

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
The leak always seemed suspicious as usual but what i think killed it was its source being a Reddit post some 5chan user took it as a leak.
Anyway, going back to the red muzzle flash: Don't forget that hitscan is a thing and while possibly making Doomguy a bit unfair to fight, it also works that in some way, the original bullet/shell based weapons didn't really shoot them at all.
So, pretend there's some UAC lore where "hitscan" is a technology they created to make weapons fire faster.
Also, idea for a joke costume: The ammo backpack, radiation shielding suit and light amplification visor combined.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
While the leak probably is fake. I think the leaker calling him Erdrick instead of the Japanese name for him, was probably just an oversight. While the whole it came from Reddit thing makes it look pretty fake, I don't necessarily believe it's a smoking gun on the leak. I think we should keep an eye on it just in case, especially since it mentioned P5R before it was announced and before the other 5chan leak did. If it is fake though, let's hope Doomguy still gets in.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Just gotta keep an eye on Erdrick’s alts and see if they match with the leak, since that’s what both 5chan leaks have in common anyway.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm rather surprised there hasn't been any sort of follow up to that leak with Hayabusa and Doom Slayer. The most we have is that an English speaker may or may not have posted it on a Japanese speaking site? Anything else?

Usually leaks are debunked or proven true but this one has survived for a really long time with no real updates. Maybe we'll get some idea of its validity when that Persona 5 news comes out later this month.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I'm rather surprised there hasn't been any sort of follow up to that leak with Hayabusa and Doom Slayer. The most we have is that an English speaker may or may not have posted it on a Japanese speaking site? Anything else?

Usually leaks are debunked or proven true but this one has survived for a really long time with no real updates. Maybe we'll get some idea of its validity when that Persona 5 news comes out later this month.
Who knows? Only the Smash dev team knows which characters are in for sure.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What are some interesting mechanics, sometimes called 'gimmicks,' that could work for Doomslayer?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What are some interesting mechanics, sometimes called 'gimmicks,' that could work for Doomslayer?
Glory Kills are a pretty cool idea. Not necessarily in the way that they are in Doom but building up a meter that will instant kill a character over 100% is a cool little nod to how they work in Doom and Doom Eternal.

Other than that, he could use ammo, so when you run out in a weapon you have to reload so that can make his strong hitting fast moving self a little less OP. Armor breaking is another possibility, once your armor gauge breaks you're easier to launch for a set period of time making you a glass canon for a while.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Multiple weapons with the ability to swap between them, perhaps with ammo to promote switching, and the ability to run and gun with most if not all of them
Would be a nice nod to/representation of his wide arsenal of weapons in the games. Attacks using the chainsaw could even spawn ammo. EDIT: Doomguy having a mega-man-esque run and gun gimmick is essential if he is gonna play like he does in his own games to any degree. He needs to be able to rush and fire at the same time.
I personally kind of imagine the weapon fire on neutral-B, with down-B being weapon swap. Side-B moves would be non-existent, to allow for run and gun, except for the SSG, which would have the meathook move as it's side-B. In this theoretical moveset, A-moves would be melee, armblade and chainsaw attacks. But he could be organized any number of ways if he actually happens, who knows.

The Meathook SSG attachment and quick dodge/dashes from Eternal
-The Meathook would make an excellent grappling rush move that pulls him to his enemies and adds to his recovery potential as well.
-His dodge could take on the properties of his dash move from Eternal, 2 charges, works in mid-air, only cools down when he's not airborne, would also provide recovery potential. The meathook and dashes could together supplement a potentially difficult and limited possible rocket jump up-B.

High Speed, Low Defense/Resistance, High Weight
Doomguy/marine/slayer could be a rather unconventional build if they draw from the original games while applying some additional logic. He lugs around armor, ammo and potentially 7 weapons or more, at least in the original games, so what if he's actually a heavy fighter? But unlike most other heavy's, he isn't super durable (because dodging is a priority in doom) and he IS super fast. He'd be hard to hit and hard to launch, but he'd have a hard time recovering once you do.

Just some of my ideas.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Multiple weapons with the ability to swap between them, perhaps with ammo to promote switching, and the ability to run and gun with most if not all of them
Would be a nice nod to/representation of his wide arsenal of weapons in the games. Attacks using the chainsaw could even spawn ammo. EDIT: Doomguy having a mega-man-esque run and gun gimmick is essential if he is gonna play like he does in his own games to any degree. He needs to be able to rush and fire at the same time.
I personally kind of imagine the weapon fire on neutral-B, with down-B being weapon swap. Side-B moves would be non-existent, to allow for run and gun, except for the SSG, which would have the meathook move as it's side-B. In this theoretical moveset, A-moves would be melee, armblade and chainsaw attacks. But he could be organized any number of ways if he actually happens, who knows.

The Meathook SSG attachment and quick dodge/dashes from Eternal
-The Meathook would make an excellent grappling rush move that pulls him to his enemies and adds to his recovery potential as well.
-His dodge could take on the properties of his dash move from Eternal, 2 charges, works in mid-air, only cools down when he's not airborne, would also provide recovery potential. The meathook and dashes could together supplement a potentially difficult and limited possible rocket jump up-B.

High Speed, Low Defense/Resistance, High Weight
Doomguy/marine/slayer could be a rather unconventional build if they draw from the original games while applying some additional logic. He lugs around armor, ammo and potentially 7 weapons or more, at least in the original games, so what if he's actually a heavy fighter? But unlike most other heavy's, he isn't super durable (because dodging is a priority in doom) and he IS super fast. He'd be hard to hit and hard to launch, but he'd have a hard time recovering once you do.

Just some of my ideas.
Pretty good ideas. If I may discuss them in regards to my own moveset...

1. While no doubt a good way to allow for multiple weapons to be incorporated into his arsenal, the weapon wheel in 2016 and Eternal was very much an element to facilitate playing the game on a console, coupled with a heavy slowdown effect to give players time to make their decision regarding which weapon to swap to. Considering how both Doom and Smash Bros encourage fast-paced action in their combat mechanics, a weapon wheel would probably only serve to slow down combat when playing as the Slayer.
  2. Following from the above, the Slayer practically uses zero melee attacks in standard combat. People make the mistake of applying the glory kills as melee attacks when they're technically finishing moves; even with classic Doomguy, the fists are ultimately a last-ditch weapon wholly superseded by the entire arsenal of firearms (including the pistol). This is also true for the Chainsaw, which Doom 2016/Eternal recognised and thus turned it into a tool to facilitate combat with firearms.
  3. Despite how invincible the Doom Slayer is portrayed as, one key element of the classic FPS is that you were either quick on your toes, or you died. The fast-paced combat was often accompanied by enemy attacks being extremely punishing; even Imps and Zombiemen could cut you down in seconds. Making him a heavyweight not only detracts from his squishy nature but drastically decreases his mobility - something which is ultimately sacrilegious in a Doom game (unless you're trying to emulate absolute Classic Doom, where you couldn't even jump at all.)
Since I've already highlighted his mechanics ("Strafing", 90% of attacks being firearms, Glory Kills as Grabs, Base Stats, etc.) in my old moveset posts, I'll just chuck a link to it so as to not repeat myself: https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/a3wewl/the_doom_slayer_rips_tears_into_battle_moveset/

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Another insider was backing the claim from the other 5chan leak, the one with just Joker and Erdrick, that P5U was delayed. That leak is tied to the doom leak since the doom leak predates it and has the same info for Erdrick’s alts and stuff. Interesting, but nothing concrete yet.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I'm confused but is the Doom leak the same as the 5chan leak that had Doomguy in it?
Is there another Doom related leak that i'm not aware of?

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I see another Doom movie is happening... Can’t be worse than the first one. Then again, the first half of the initial one had a decent setup and showed promise, but then fell apart by the 2nd half, whereas this seems like a B movie on entry.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I see another Doom movie is happening... Can’t be worse than the first one. Then again, the first half of the initial one had a decent setup and showed promise, but then fell apart by the 2nd half, whereas this seems like a B movie on entry.

This one appears to be more faithful to the games, with the monsters actually being demons from Hell instead of a biological experiment gone wrong.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This one appears to be more faithful to the games, with the monsters actually being demons from Hell instead of a biological experiment gone wrong.
I will admit, that does look more faithful than Doom 2005. I'm actually genuinely curious about seeing it myself.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

B-movie seems like a generous description, based on that trailer; it doesn't help matters that it's direct to DVD.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Does the Director of this movie have a good track record? If it's good then it might help somewhat.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I will admit, that does look more faithful than Doom 2005. I'm actually genuinely curious about seeing it myself.
Even if this proves to be a bad movie, at least the director did their research on what game they are basing their movie on.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I missed the direct to DVD part. No wonder it looked like something sci-fi channel esque apart from the name logo. And sure, you can give them credit over the 2005 movie for embracing the Hell aspect, but at least the original movie had a somewhat decent cast, while with this one they use some female lead OC instead of Doomguy or any version of the playable Doom Marines.

The original movie was mostly based on Doom 3 since that was the newest thing at the time, but I’m guessing this one will be more Doom 2016 esque with the monster designs and everything? Suppose I can give it a watch regardless and like/judge for what it is. Maybe it’ll make better use of the BFG and some things than the original, who knows.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's through and through a B-Movie and I think that's good. You can't make Doom into a serious live action scifi movie without it being immediately ridiculous. The majority of Doom's appeal comes from its gameplay and watching demons get tend ripped to shreds. And the, admittedly very good world lore, doesn't really transfer into a film very well.

Movie looks like dumb fun, and I'm fine with that. That's what Doom boils down to in the end anyways. Fun.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don’t know, I’d have liked to see a decent movie budget go into the Cyberdemon and things like that, but will take what I can get from this. Some of the lore I felt the 2005 movie actually did well with like the deceased ancient martian civilization, just it missed the mark on where the demons came from, but with The Rock and company it was dumb fun for what it was.

This... I don’t know, will have to see.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice

It just looks too generic to me, will it be worse than the first Doom movie? I don't know, with the new movie and Eternal coming out, it does make it seem like it's Doom's year. So let's hope it continues to be it's year, and Doomguy gets announced for Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's unfortunate to see the lead actress for that film recently made a tweet saying "Who needs a #doomguy..." with a picture of herself/her character and other hashtags that seemed mostly done to provoke angry reactions from Doom/Doomguy fans. I didn't bite but the hell (heh) she got in the comments spoke for itself. Should've known this would boil down to some gender politics in part, but if they wanted another video game movie with a female lead so badly, they should've turned to Metroid or something.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's unfortunate to see the lead actress for that film recently made a tweet saying "Who needs a #doomguy..." with a picture of herself/her character and other hashtags that seemed mostly done to provoke angry reactions from Doom/Doomguy fans. I didn't bite but the hell (heh) she got in the comments spoke for itself. Should've known this would boil down to some gender politics in part, but if they wanted another video game movie with a female lead so badly, they should've turned to Metroid or something.
As someone who just came out of and enjoyed Captain Marvel, this is an interesting thing to see. It's clear to me that this is a case of getting attention for the movie. May be negative, but for a movie like this it needs all the attention it can get. I would love to see a Metroid movie someday though. Always felt like the right Nintendo IP to adapt. You just need the right people to adapt it, which is clearly not the people involved with this Doom movie.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I would love to see a Metroid movie someday though. Always felt like the right Nintendo IP to adapt.
Dude, I'd love that too! My dream is if they made Ridley talk like in that one Metroid manga, he should be voiced by John de Lancie, the guy who played Q in Star Trek and Alarak in StarCraft II!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Dude, I'd love that too! My dream is if they made Ridley talk like in that one Metroid manga, he should be voiced by John de Lancie, the guy who played Q in Star Trek and Alarak in StarCraft II!
I would love to see Ridley talk as well. While I want to see a mostly on mission Metroid movie where the action and environment did most of the talking, Ridley would be the exception. As for who would make it, I recall that the person currently in charge of the Metal Gear movie has voiced his ideas for a Metroid and Legend of Zelda movie.

Edit:
I wonder how Doomguy would react to certain items, specifically the superspicy curry.

Last edited:

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
Edit:
I wonder how Doomguy would react to certain items, specifically the superspicy curry.
Probably with a reference to the classic shock/ouch face (Be it the face being modeled and even part of a helmetless costume or the sprite seen in his helmet visor) and maybe use of one of his original death screams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el72n7U4Pos
At 1:06

And that movie trailer.
It still looks like the previous movie but with a different cast and the story referencing literal Hell.
Still, Doom had like 4/5 art directions and a new game bringing back older designs, yet the closest to these movies even referencing these looks is like 2 designs from Doom 3 being in the first movie and maybe some UAC logos.
Maybe live action shouldn't be the way to adapt Doom outside of video games, considering how they could achieve a proper aesthetic in animation, plus the crazy nature of the series and other video games.
A female lead is fine but i wish it was someone like Crash from Quake 3.
Doom deserves a good adaptation as much as it deserves to be in Smash.
The series even has a fanbase capable of making a lot of good content, be it amazing fanart and fan animation, fan games or obviously, one of the most legendary modding scenes of all time to the point some argue whether or not Doom led to modding.
Like really, get people who actually like Doom to work on this.
It seems like we only barely get a good Doom adaption because of the belief that it would never work simply because story isn't the main focus.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Probably get angry
Isn't that his default state? I admit, it would be pretty in character for him to just act like normal even when he eats something so spicy that it causes you to breath fire.
Probably with a reference to the classic shock/ouch face (Be it the face being modeled and even part of a helmetless costume or the sprite seen in his helmet visor) and maybe use of one of his original death screams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el72n7U4Pos
At 1:06
I meant in animation. I don't think anyone gives a vocal reaction to the superspicy curry.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
Maybe a reference to the old school death animation where he has one hand in his neck and the other holding his weapon.
Or him punching the air.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Maybe a reference to the old school death animation where he has one hand in his neck and the other holding his weapon.
Wouldn't that better suit his crumple animation?

Isn't that his default state? I admit, it would be pretty in character for him to just act like normal even when he eats something so spicy that it causes you to breath fire.
Basically, yeah. Would make him really stand out among the others by having him act chill with super spicy curry.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Glory Kills are a pretty cool idea. Not necessarily in the way that they are in Doom but building up a meter that will instant kill a character over 100% is a cool little nod to how they work in Doom and Doom Eternal.
Now here's an idea:

As Doom Slayer deals damage, an orange outline slowly encompasses the art on his character UI. When that outline completely encompasses that art, it will turn white and give Doom Slayer a 5-second window in which the Doom Slayer can instantly KO an opponent over 75%. However: the outline disappears immediately if Doom Slayer is hit, and it takes a while to recharge: he must deal 100% damage total in order to build up a Glory Kill.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Since I've already highlighted his mechanics ("Strafing", 90% of attacks being firearms, Glory Kills as Grabs, Base Stats, etc.) in my old moveset posts, I'll just chuck a link to it so as to not repeat myself: https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/a3wewl/the_doom_slayer_rips_tears_into_battle_moveset/
Well, curious about your ideas, I clicked that link....
...which took me to reddit, wherein there were no ideas, just two more links...
...which I clicked...
...which took me to old reddit, with six links...

So, your ideas are gone forever man. That's more work than you can ask of anyone online.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Well, curious about your ideas, I clicked that link....
...which took me to reddit, wherein there were no ideas, just two more links...
...which I clicked...
...which took me to old reddit, with six links...

So, your ideas are gone forever man. That's more work than you can ask of anyone online.
You sure man? Works fine for me. Mind sending a screenshot?

BTW, the ideas are fine; I've got multiple mirror links to different subreddits and the entire thread saved on Onenote.

Now here's an idea:

As Doom Slayer deals damage, an orange outline slowly encompasses the art on his character UI. When that outline completely encompasses that art, it will turn white and give Doom Slayer a 5-second window in which the Doom Slayer can instantly KO an opponent over 75%. However: the outline disappears immediately if Doom Slayer is hit, and it takes a while to recharge: he must deal 100% damage total in order to build up a Glory Kill.
Either that, or make the damage threshold around 150-200% and have it last about 5 seconds after damaging someone. In that state, the fighter can only be killed via a throw to register it as a glory kill (as a bonus, all "Glory throws" are guaranteed KOs)

Top Bottom