• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
What’s up guys

Here to say that I’ve never played Doom but definitely want this character, and when I heard he has a chance from the recent data mine, I was super excited. Hopefully I can get my top 3 third parties with him, Steve, and Rayman.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What’s up guys

Here to say that I’ve never played Doom but definitely want this character, and when I heard he has a chance from the recent data mine, I was super excited. Hopefully I can get my top 3 third parties with him, Steve, and Rayman.
It's actually just a rumor. No datamined information points to him.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I'd love that, since I like those comics, but I don't think that they would. Since they would probably be focusing on representing his games in a way that makes sense for smash(like them deciding what to take from what game and which game do they represent the most).
At this point, the comic is almost as infamous as the games themselves, especially since the integration of some of its quotes (Rip and Tear, for one) into said games pretty much solidifies its relevance with the franchise.
In regards for boxing ring titles, I think either "The Berserker-packin' Man and a Half!" or "12.0 on the 10.0 Scale of Badness!" would fit better, IMO

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
An idea i've seen for his reveal trailer is something to do with the Spider Mastermind and Mother Brain, where Doomguy encounters MB or Samus encounters SMM.
Most of the ideas around Doomguy's potential moveset and representation seem great enough that if he actually gets in (Which to be honest has a very small chance) i won't be surprised if some stuff happens and it would feel like someone predicted it.
Mostly because some ideas would have been considered obvious if more people thought about how to make Doomguy work instead of seeing it as a meme or a silly idea.
Not that we're on the level of Sakurai or his team, but that some stuff could work and could have popped more often in people's minds if they took the concept of Doomguy getting in more seriously (Even if it may never happen).

Also, if anyone wants to get in the Doom series, i know a guide someone made and i hope it helps somehow.
http://thathomestar.tumblr.com/doomguide
http://thathomestar.tumblr.com/post/107549841357/how-to-doom-part-1-getting-set-up
Not only are the games still great today (Even with some flaws) but there's also a lot of mods, maps and content from fans.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
if he actually gets in (Which to be honest has a very small chance.)
I'm all about managing expectations, but I don't really think it's that small a chance at all. We already have proof that Sakurai considers Doom an important series (he name drops Carmack as a prominent developer, and Carmack most DEFINITELY made his name with Doom), and proof that Beth and Nintendo have spoken about Smash. If the Smash DLC really is gonna be about promoting games, Doom fits right in, with Eternal releasing sometime this year on the Switch, right along with every other platform.

Doom is probably the most important western video game series, and is no longer out of place in Smash to anyone with perspective after characters like Snake and Bayo got added. Honestly by rights he should have been in sooner, seeing as Doom is as important as it is and has been with Nintendo since it's very first game.

So yes, nothing is guaranteed, but I would definitely say he has more than just a "very small" chance. If it happens, a lot of people will be shocked, but if they were paying attention they really wouldn't be.

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I'm all about managing expectations, but I don't really think it's that small a chance at all. We already have proof that Sakurai considers Doom an important series (he name drops Carmack as a prominent developer, and Carmack most DEFINITELY made his name with Doom), and proof that Beth and Nintendo have spoken about Smash. If the Smash DLC really is gonna be about promoting games, Doom fits right in, with Eternal releasing sometime this year on the Switch, right along with every other platform.

Doom is probably the most important western video game series, and is no longer out of place in Smash to anyone with perspective after characters like Snake and Bayo got added. Honestly by rights he should have been in sooner, seeing as Doom is as important as it is and has been with Nintendo since it's very first game.

So yes, nothing is guaranteed, but I would definitely say he has more than just a "very small" chance. If it happens, a lot of people will be shocked, but if they were paying attention they really wouldn't be.
Even though I think Doomguy has a pretty good chance of getting in, with everything that he has going for him. I'll still be shocked regardless, if he gets in Smash, but hey that's just me.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Even though I think Doomguy has a pretty good chance of getting in, with everything that he has going for him. I'll still be shocked regardless if he gets in Smash, but hey that's just me.
Fair.

Me, I'll just be hype as ****, but not super disappointed if it doesn't happen.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I thought more about the BJ Blazkowicz assist trophy idea and how he'd be represented:
* His design is TNO meets Wolf3D (Jacket is grey colored, has blue boots, the hair is somewhat between yellow and orange, he looks cartoony enough to fit Smash's and 3D's aesthetic but still has that side scar).
* Voiced by Brian Bloom.
* Followed up by Wolfenstein 3D sound effects.
* Main weapon would be the blue chaingun, with its original sounds and red projectiles to represent that chaingun weapon in TNO and to replace actual bullets.
* Melee attack could be the spear of destiny.
* Maybe some charge attack to resemble that upgrade from TNC where he can destroy walls.
* The Tesla gun from RTCW.
* Animation where he eats a chicken leg and it does its W3D pick up sound.
* Maybe his entrance could have the "GET PSYCHED" loading thing pop up for a while.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oh, guys! I just imagined something amazing!

If they release a Boss Rush mode for Smash and Glory Kills are a part of Doom Slayer's moveset, imagine if he had Glory Kills for the Bosses?! It'd be awesome seeing Doom Slayer forcibly ripping off Marx's wings (I mean, they detach when you defeat him normally) or grabbing Rathalos' tail and stabbing it in the back with it! After all, in DOOM 2016, Doom Slayer could Glory Kill the Cyberdemon, the Hell Guards and especially the Spider Mastermind! And before you say something about how 'Glory Kills are too violent', look back at the scene in the Ridley trailer where he kills Mega Man and Mario. They could just use that filter for it!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I’d feel bad about whatever glory kill would await Dracula, but sure, I could roll with that idea, not that I see it happening even if Doomguy did get included, but hey.

Sco7t

Smash Rookie
I love making movesets, so how about a moveset for my most wanted!

I tend to skip to the specials myself, so let's start with those

Neutral B: Siphon grenade. Quite simple, Doomguy tosses siphon grenades around, much like Snake. Unlike Snake, these grenades have zero knockback, instead they provide a small amount of healing for Doomguy as they damage his opponents.

Side B: Meat hook. Doomguy fires the grappling hook on his super shotgun. Doesn't bypass shields. If it hits the enemy will be momentarily stunned as Doomguy reels himself in. Pressing B while mid flight will fire the super shotgun, fire it when you're up close for the greatest damage and knockback! Provides tether recovery.

Up B: Rocket jump. Super simple, and basically what everyone else is putting as his up B. I'm not going to add a timing element here however, Doomguy will simple fire a rocket below him and immediately fire, rocketing himself into the air. The explosion can spike enemies, and will damage Doomguy a small amount.

Down B: Power-up. This is where I feel my moveset gets fun. Think Shulk monado arts, though Doomguy will only get four powerups. Berserk, Haste, Invulnerability, and Damage. Each powerup would also cause Doomguy to glow in a seperate colour, red for berserk, yellow for haste, green for invulnerability, and purple for damage.

Haste is a speed buff. Select this powerup and Doomguy will be flying across the stage, as well as becoming lighter. This makes him harder to combo, but much easier to outright KO, if you can hit him. Invulnerability won't provide actual invulnerability. Instead you take less damage and knockback. Balanced out by dealing less damage. Damage (renamed because dealing quad damage would be way too powerful) will do as it says, you deal more damage. Unfortunately you take more damage too.

Berserk will act quite faithfully to the games, completely changing Doomguys moveset, replacing EVERYTHING with a one-two punch. This one-two punch will have immense knockback and shield damage, and will have super armour. It also completely neuters his range, and he can't use specials while berserk, so get him off stage and he's as good as dead.

Now for his A attacks!

Jab: Think Mega Man here, except instead of pellets we get a plasma rifle. Hold A to continue firing forward while moving.
F-Tilt: Same as jab. Smacks the enemy with the butt of his plasma rifle.
D-Tilt: Heat blast. This move gets more powerful the more you use his Jab / nair. A solid get off me tool, with KO potential when charged at higher percentages, and combo potential at low charge. The blast will come out slightly lower than in his game.
U-Tilt: Stun bomb. Doomguy fires a stun bomb directly above him, it detonates immediately. Stuns and damages opponents above him, allowing for a follow-up.

Dash attack: I'm thinking shoulder tackle right now, but I'd love to see this as an opportunity to get another armblade punch into his moveset. Thoughts?

F-Smash: A good 'ole one-two punch, with an added dash forward and a touch of super armour.
D-Smash: Here comes the super shotgun! Doomguy fires it into the ground in front of him, before firing the second shot behind him. Closer the enemy is, the more damage they take.
U-Smash: Gauss rifle (or the equivalent from eternal). Similar to Palutenas U-Smash visually, Doomguy charges the rifle and fires it straight up.

Nair: Plasma rifle. Hold A to continue firing as you move through the air.
Fair: A downwards punch using Doomguys armblade. Has a tipper, which spikes. Think Mario fair.
Bair: Doomguy twists around and punches behind himself, armblade again extended. Good kill move, particularly on the tipper.
Dair: Death from above baby! This is a downward stomp, reminiscent of glory kills from above. Spikes. Think Ganondorf dair. Alternatively, could be super shotgun aimed down.
Uair: Super shotgun, directly above him. Sweetspot close to the barrels.

Grabs. These definitely need to emulate his glory kills, though they won't be as violent. This is a sporting event after all, we're not trying to kill here!

Pummel: Gut punch. I'm envisioning the armblade being used here, I mean come on, it'd be no more violent than Ridley! Otherwise / regardless, Doomguy punches his enemy in the gut.
Forward Throw: Kicks out his opponents leg and let's loose with a hook, smashing his opponent forward.
Back Throw: Doomguy punches his opponent behind him, before following up with a kick, sending them flying backwards.
Up Throw: Punch your opponent down, then follow up with an uppercut to send them flying into the air.
Down Thrown: Doomguy let's go of his opponent, raises both arms above his head, and smashes his enemy into the ground. This is a bury.

Final Smash, how could I have forgotten?

BFG. Let's go Doom 2016 version. The main blast is where most of the damage and knockback is, but even if it misses an opponent they'll get caught by energy tendrils, which will paralyze as they damage, inflicting similar amounts of damage as the main blast, but not nearly as much knockback.

Or we could go BFG 9000, with the shot targeting the screen much like Giga Bowser, Pit's chariot, or ZSS energy beam.

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I love making movesets, so how about a moveset for my most wanted!

I tend to skip to the specials myself, so let's start with those

Neutral B: Siphon grenade. Quite simple, Doomguy tosses siphon grenades around, much like Snake. Unlike Snake, these grenades have zero knockback, instead they provide a small amount of healing for Doomguy as they damage his opponents.

Side B: Meat hook. Doomguy fires the grappling hook on his super shotgun. Doesn't bypass shields. If it hits the enemy will be momentarily stunned as Doomguy reels himself in. Pressing B while mid flight will fire the super shotgun, fire it when you're up close for the greatest damage and knockback! Provides tether recovery.

Up B: Rocket jump. Super simple, and basically what everyone else is putting as his up B. I'm not going to add a timing element here however, Doomguy will simple fire a rocket below him and immediately fire, rocketing himself into the air. The explosion can spike enemies, and will damage Doomguy a small amount.

Down B: Power-up. This is where I feel my moveset gets fun. Think Shulk monado arts, though Doomguy will only get four powerups. Berserk, Haste, Invulnerability, and Damage. Each powerup would also cause Doomguy to glow in a seperate colour, red for berserk, yellow for haste, green for invulnerability, and purple for damage.

Haste is a speed buff. Select this powerup and Doomguy will be flying across the stage, as well as becoming lighter. This makes him harder to combo, but much easier to outright KO, if you can hit him. Invulnerability won't provide actual invulnerability. Instead you take less damage and knockback. Balanced out by dealing less damage. Damage (renamed because dealing quad damage would be way too powerful) will do as it says, you deal more damage. Unfortunately you take more damage too.

Berserk will act quite faithfully to the games, completely changing Doomguys moveset, replacing EVERYTHING with a one-two punch. This one-two punch will have immense knockback and shield damage, and will have super armour. It also completely neuters his range, and he can't use specials while berserk, so get him off stage and he's as good as dead.

Now for his A attacks!

Jab: Think Mega Man here, except instead of pellets we get a plasma rifle. Hold A to continue firing forward while moving.
F-Tilt: Same as jab.
D-Tilt: Heat blast. This move gets more powerful the more you use his Jab / F-Tilt / nair. Unlike in his actual game the heat blast will be aimed low. A solid get off me tool, with KO potential when charged at higher percentages.
U-Tilt: Stun bomb. Doomguy fires a stun bomb directly above him, it detonates immediately. Stuns and damages opponents above him, allowing for a follow-up.

F-Smash: A good 'ole one-two punch, with an added dash forward and a touch of super armour.
D-Smash: Here comes the super shotgun! Doomguy fires it into the ground in front of him, before firing the second shot behind him. Closer the enemy is, the more damage they take.
U-Smash: Gauss rifle (or the equivalent from eternal). Similar to Palutenas U-Smash visually, Doomguy charges the rifle and fires it straight up.

Nair: Plasma rifle. Hold A to continue firing as you move through the air.
Fair: A downwards punch using Doomguys armblade. Has a tipper, which spikes. Think Mario fair.
Bair: Doomguy twists around and punches behind himself, armblade again extended. Good kill move, particularly on the tipper.
Dair: Death from above baby! This is a downward stomp, reminiscent of glory kills from above. Spikes. Think Ganondorf dair. Alternatively, could be super shotgun aimed down.
Uair: Super shotgun, directly above him. Sweetspot close to the barrels.

Grabs. These definitely need to emulate his glory kills, though they won't be as violent. This is a sporting event after all, we're not trying to kill here!

Pummel: Gut punch. I'm envisioning the armblade being used here, I mean come on, it'd be no more violent than Ridley! Otherwise / regardless, Doomguy punches his enemy in the gut.
Forward Throw: Kicks out his opponents leg and let's loose with a hook, smashing his opponent forward.
Back Throw: Doomguy punches his opponent behind him, before following up with a kick, sending them flying backwards.
Up Throw: Punch your opponent down, then follow up with an uppercut to send them flying into the air.
Down Thrown: Doomguy let's go of his opponent, raises both arms above his head, and smashes his enemy into the ground. This is a bury.

Final Smash, how could I have forgotten?

BFG. Let's go Doom 2016 version. The main blast is where most of the damage and knockback is, but even if it misses an opponent they'll get caught by energy tendrils, which will paralyze as they damage, inflicting similar amounts of damage as the main blast, but not nearly as much knockback.

Or we could go BFG 9000, with the shot targeting the screen much like Giga Bowser, Pit's chariot, or ZSS energy beam.
I really like the idea of Doomguy using powerups for his moveset. Iv'e always felt like powerups in Doom games were always way to overlooked.

GrantVsZombies

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrantVsZombies
Switch FC
4191-5519-7802
I really like the idea of Doomguy using powerups for his moveset. Iv'e always felt like powerups in Doom games were always way to overlooked.
I just realized I haven't actually thought of Doom powerups since I finished Doom 2016 a year or so ago. Now that I think about it, the one that let's you insta-glory kill (I think that's what it did?) helped out a lot.

As for being in his moveset... I dunno. Not saying it couldn't or wouldn't be cool, but I feel like those could function better as general items.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I just realized I haven't actually thought of Doom powerups since I finished Doom 2016 a year or so ago. Now that I think about it, the one that let's you insta-glory kill (I think that's what it did?) helped out a lot.

As for being in his moveset... I dunno. Not saying it couldn't or wouldn't be cool, but I feel like those could function better as general items.
I think that powerup was just that game's version of Berserk. I could be wrong though. As for the general items idea, yeah that could definitely work to. They could just combine both ideas and give him some for his moveset, and make some just random items. Though I really don't see the Invulnerability Sphere making it in to the items list, considering it does the exact same thing that the Super Star does.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Do you guys think there is a chance of Doom: Eternal showing up for the next Nintendo Direct?

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think there is a chance of Doom: Eternal showing up for the next Nintendo Direct?
Well there's definitely a chance. It's just a matter of if Bethesda or ID wants to show off Doom Eternal Switch gameplay. If they do show something of Doom Eternal, it would probably be an exclusive mode, DLC that's only for switch, or announcing that Doom Eternal will be on the Switch first(highly unlikely but i'm just giving examples). I just really feel like if they do show something, it has to be with some sort of gimmick that's exclusive to the Switch version, unless they just show gameplay off and reveal that Doomguy is in Smash(which is again highly unlikely, mainly because if they do announce Doomguy. He'll probably be the last one they announce for the fighter pass), But you never know.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Well there's definitely a chance. It's just a matter of if Bethesda or ID wants to show off Doom Eternal Switch gameplay. If they do show something of Doom Eternal, it would probably be an exclusive mode, DLC that's only for switch, or announcing that Doom Eternal will be on the Switch first(highly unlikely but i'm just giving examples). I just really feel like if they do show something, it has to be with some sort of gimmick that's exclusive to the Switch version, unless they just show gameplay off and reveal that Doomguy is in Smash(which is again highly unlikely, mainly because if they do announce Doomguy. He'll probably be the last one they announce for the fighter pass), But you never know.
Better motion controls that let you play without the C-stick?

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
In other news, Arlo dismisses the inclusion of the Mean Green Space Marines (Slayer and Chief) at 13:44 minutes because guns:

https://youtu.be/pNvKbbY_PCc

After spending the whole video discussing how the percieved rules of a fighter's inclusion into Smash have been slowly whittled away with each new reveal.

He does realise the full implications of Snake and Bayo are fighters, right?

And that Halo has the Energy Sword/Gravity Hammer (even though I personally think those weapons would better suit the Arbiter, who'd be a Chief echo with a focus on melee over ranged weapons)?

And Doom's got glory kills, the chainsaw and the Crucible (even though I'd personally want them to as throws, a side special and a taunt/final smash alongside the BFG

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Arlo also dismisses Cloud's portable Nintendo appearances and P5's Joker as never been on Nintendo platforms. Joker has a 3DS appearance shortly before his Smash announcement and going by Ballot standards, Cloud qualifies. They didn't "shatter ice". I think Arlo should've researched more. I also think his dismissal of Doom Slayer/Dooomguy is very, for a lack of better words, disoriented. Characters can be toned down.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
He’s not the only youtuber I’ve seen dismiss Doomguy like that sadly; one even vouched for Chief while also saying Doomguy would be too violent. It’s kinda become the new too big for me by this point, though the argument isn’t used just against Doomguy mind you.

Last edited:

GrantVsZombies

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrantVsZombies
Switch FC
4191-5519-7802
He’s not the only youtuber I’ve seen dismiss Doomguy like that sadly; one even vouched for Chief while also saying Doomguy would be too violent. It’s kinda become the new too big for me by this point, though the argument isn’t used just against Doomguy mind you.
I'd say Doomguy is much more likely than Chief. Sure, there definitely is a demand for both, but neither Chief nor his series has ever appeared on a Nintendo system. (Minus his cameo in Minecraft, of course) Now, as time goes on, I think how relevant a character is to Nintendo is becoming less of an issue, but I feel like they wouldn't add a character who has absolutely nothing to show on Nintendo. Not even a spinoff game. Anyone can be in Smash, but I think it's something of a give/take scenario for third parties. You give Nintendo a game of some kind on their platform, they include your character in Smash. There's no reason why a third party wouldn't want their character in there - it's free advertising, and it's been proven to work.

Anyway, Doomguy has certainly given plenty to Nintendo in the way of games, and Bethesda seems pretty keen on keeping their relationship in a good place. It's true that Microsoft has been increasingly friendly as well, but I think the only fruit of this will be Steve in Smash, and maybe, just MAYBE Banjo. And keep in mind, both of those franchises have been on Nintendo systems.

Basically, Doomguy would almost certainly get in Smash before Chief. I have no doubt.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

R.I.P. DLC codecs, which I guess Piranha Plant was more of an exception to the rule. Not that that'll stop fans from making up their own codec ideas (in addition to those already made) if we do still get Doomguy and some others, but still.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
Doom not only lead to Halo and Half-Life because of the FPS genre getting popular and stuff like Quake and Marathon, but with the 95 port, i think it's also what made Gabe Newell care about games in the first place and Doom was once used in DirectX which lead to Xbox.
Doom and Smash are different series with their own legendary status and seeing the two mix is a cool opportunity to witness.

I also thought of a design for Doomguy that represents the series.
* Take the Doomguy from the Doom 1 cover, exposed abs included.
* Paint his gloves brown/tan and maybe add brass knuckles in the left hand.
* Add a red dot in his back to represent the Doom 2 cover.
* For Doom 64, add an antenna in the right side of his helmet.
* Doom 3? I don't know, maybe something to do with his pants or pockets, like the lantern/flash light and maybe the PDA on his belt.
* For the Praetor suit, some details from it like that tiny red dot on his chest and the mark of the slayer on the helmet.
* Maybe give him the Doomblade and shoulder cannon too.
* The face would be more faithfull to classic Doom than the QC version (Which could mean fixed aspect ratio) but with a "cut" eyebrow to represent the face found in 2016.
Sadly, i didn't think of the Quake 3 Arena look but i think that could be represented with his "GUUHHH" taunt from that game.
Also, fun fact: In Q3A, Doomguy's helmet visor has a texture that shows a screenshot from E1M8/Phobos Anomaly with the two Barons and Daisy.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Doomguy is much more likely than Chief. Sure, there definitely is a demand for both, but neither Chief nor his series has ever appeared on a Nintendo system. (Minus his cameo in Minecraft, of course) Now, as time goes on, I think how relevant a character is to Nintendo is becoming less of an issue, but I feel like they wouldn't add a character who has absolutely nothing to show on Nintendo. Not even a spinoff game. Anyone can be in Smash, but I think it's something of a give/take scenario for third parties. You give Nintendo a game of some kind on their platform, they include your character in Smash. There's no reason why a third party wouldn't want their character in there - it's free advertising, and it's been proven to work.

Anyway, Doomguy has certainly given plenty to Nintendo in the way of games, and Bethesda seems pretty keen on keeping their relationship in a good place. It's true that Microsoft has been increasingly friendly as well, but I think the only fruit of this will be Steve in Smash, and maybe, just MAYBE Banjo. And keep in mind, both of those franchises have been on Nintendo systems.

Basically, Doomguy would almost certainly get in Smash before Chief. I have no doubt.
Well, there was that cancelled Halo DS game... https://www.halopedia.org/Halo_DS

Doom not only lead to Halo and Half-Life because of the FPS genre getting popular and stuff like Quake and Marathon, but with the 95 port, i think it's also what made Gabe Newell care about games in the first place and Doom was once used in DirectX which lead to Xbox.
Doom and Smash are different series with their own legendary status and seeing the two mix is a cool opportunity to witness.

* Doom 3? I don't know, maybe something to do with his pants or pockets, like the lantern/flash light and maybe the PDA on his belt.
* For the Praetor suit, some details from it like that tiny red dot on his chest and the mark of the slayer on the helmet.
* The face would be more faithfull to classic Doom than the QC version (Which could mean fixed aspect ratio) but with a "cut" eyebrow to represent the face found in 2016.
Sadly, i didn't think of the Quake 3 Arena look but i think that could be represented with his "GUUHHH" taunt from that game.
Also, fun fact: In Q3A, Doomguy's helmet visor has a texture that shows a screenshot from E1M8/Phobos Anomaly with the two Barons and Daisy.
Yeah, I think they might just do the easy thing and just give him different costumes for alts; Classic Doom, 64, 3, 2016 and Eternal would be the most likely, each receiving slight modifications to accommodate the moveset (i.e. all come with the Doomblade and the Delta V Jump Boots, etc.)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Honestly, I think the Doom Eternal design is just ****ing perfect. I just need that. Throw in the Doom 64 one as a costume or something because it’s Doom 64 which was a big deal back in the day, but otherwise I’m good with just the Doom Eternal Slayer.

My only big worry if he does get in is that his name might not be “Doom Slayer” but “Doom Marine” which would be a huge bummer for me. Doom Slayer is such a bad ass name.

GrantVsZombies

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrantVsZombies
Switch FC
4191-5519-7802

R.I.P. DLC codecs, which I guess Piranha Plant was more of an exception to the rule. Not that that'll stop fans from making up their own codec ideas (in addition to those already made) if we do still get Doomguy and some others, but still.
I really don't get this. I understood the lack of new Snake Codecs, as they would have required the voice actors to all come back and record new lines. Plus, the Japanese VA for Colonel passed away, so it makes sense they wouldn't want to give him new lines. I still think they could've done it, and it would've been cool, but I understand why they didn't.

But no Palutena Codecs? That's confusing. I mean, all they have to do is write... words. They don't even have to have them voiced. It would take all of ten seconds. I mean, they're going to the trouble of modeling, voicing and balancing a new character, but they can't be bothered to write like five or six text boxes?

I'm not mad, just confused. Is there a reason I'm not aware of why they wouldn't do it? I know it's not a big deal, but it would please the fans and take very little work. Seems like something they would do with the focus on small details in Ultimate.

D

Deleted member

I really don't get this. I understood the lack of new Snake Codecs, as they would have required the voice actors to all come back and record new lines. Plus, the Japanese VA for Colonel passed away, so it makes sense they wouldn't want to give him new lines. I still think they could've done it, and it would've been cool, but I understand why they didn't.

But no Palutena Codecs? That's confusing. I mean, all they have to do is write... words. They don't even have to have them voiced. It would take all of ten seconds. I mean, they're going to the trouble of modeling, voicing and balancing a new character, but they can't be bothered to write like five or six text boxes?

I'm not mad, just confused. Is there a reason I'm not aware of why they wouldn't do it? I know it's not a big deal, but it would please the fans and take very little work. Seems like something they would do with the focus on small details in Ultimate.
I suppose that it is done to prevent leaks.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah in the end it doesn't matter what youtubers think about a fighter's chances, they've been selected for a while now and Sakurai knows what he's doing. If Doom DOES make it into smash I'll enjoy watching their shock and surprise, but it's just a bonus to having Smash grow inclusive enough to recognize one of my favorite game series that has been deserving for a while now.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Yeah in the end it doesn't matter what youtubers think about a fighter's chances, they've been selected for a while now and Sakurai knows what he's doing. If Doom DOES make it into smash I'll enjoy watching their shock and surprise, but it's just a bonus to having Smash grow inclusive enough to recognize one of my favorite game series that has been deserving for a while now.
That's honestly one of my favorite things about characters getting revealed. If a certain youtuber said that the chances were very low, or it would be almost impossible for a character to get in, and then all of sudden that same character gets revealed as a fighter. That is one of the funniest things ever, that happend to a lot of people with Ridley and I loved every second of their reactions.

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
i just thought of something a couple days ago that might be able to tone down Doomguy in some form. when Bayonetta fires her guns, they shoot out a muzzle flash like a regular gun. but what if when Doomguy fires his tradition weapons (pistol, shotgun, chaingun, SSG) they shoot out a red muzzle flash, like his much older Doom 1 + 2 games like this:
doom-shotgun-hallway.jpg

of course, you'd also have to tone down the violence for Doomguy, since he won't be crushing heads in since he's in Smash, but if he's simply moving fast + using a large arsenal of weaponry like in his games, then i'd think they'd do the character justice since they're sticking with the gameplay of Doom.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sorry Doomguy supporters, but the 5Chan Leak (that claimed that the other 4 DLC characters are Erdrick, Steve, Doomguy, and Ryu Hayabusa) has been proven fake.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Wasn't even surprised that leak was fake. Fake leakers do this all the time. Only Sakurai and his team would know who's in and who's not. Let's hope Doomguy/Doom Slayer is in.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, wasn’t counting on the leak, but had some hopes for Doomguy regardless on account of being one of the legendary gaming icons remaining whose had a good track record with Nintendo.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, even if it did turn out to be fake, the leak did succeed in one thing: bringing out the supporters of those respective characters. I mean, ever since that leak spawned, there's been an influx of support for Erdrick, Steve, Ryu and our own man and a half, and that just goes to show how much Smash fans want them.

GrantVsZombies

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrantVsZombies
Switch FC
4191-5519-7802
How was the leak proven fake? Was there something I missed? I'm not sure how it could be proven fake without the fighters being revealed.

Top Bottom