• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At melee's end? I don't think so.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I wanted to make a discussion about this for a few weeks, so here goes.

I see tournaments with names like ''at melee's end'' I see good players ive known about for awhile talk about quitting, or retiring however you want to put it. I see a lot of talk about melee as if its tournament scene will be completly erased by brawl...

Not on my watch it wont. I plan to host melee tournaments in my home town for the rest of my days, I love this game very much and I dont think a sequel to it merits the death of its competitive scene. Even if brawl takes over and theres only like 5-10 melee smashers left round here Im still going to hold tournaments and keep a power ranking system if the scene dies here.

Now, please dont think im trying to preach and call anyone a quitter, because I live in Canada and as such the best players I compete with are Vwin Bam Pkmvodka, Kage, Matt, etc the canadian top smashers who are about low-mid level in the american tournament scene, except pkm who grabbed 8th or something with DK recently. Mad skills.

Anyhow I Digress, many of you here are so incredibly skilled at melee and have been playing for so long that I can understnad why you wouldnt want to compete anymore. You understand this game 100 percent, you've proved yourself, maybe you want to move on?

But there are many players like myself who only JUST learned how to play smash properly. Im not talking about advanced techniques, wavedashing, blah blah etc. Im talking about having been part of the tournament/competitive scene now for over a year and I have seen my skill gone up drastically. Last year there was no hope of me getting beyond last in a tourney here, this year I think I could grab one of the top ten spots.

People like me who just started to play top level don't feel like quitting melee anytime soon, so maybe we'll become the new reigning champions over those who are sick with melee?

Ive got nothing against brawl... well Ive got a few issues with brawl that I dont want to discuss here as it is a melee topic. But to sum everything up, Brawl or not, Im never, ever, ever going to stop playing melee competitivly...

who's with me?

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I know what you mean. I only have been going to Melee tournies for 4 months so I am nowhere near tired with it. I have improved so much in just these 4 months with no signs of slowing down. I want to see how far I can go before there is a big mental block. Melee is such a great game that I want to continue playing that game even while I pick up Brawl.

Maybe there can be tournies for both Melee and Brawl kinda like how FC had Smash 64 and Melee. Time issues would be a problem and people might not want to play through what is essentially two tournies. I am sure there will be some people who will host Melee tournies. People do that with Smash 64 and it has much less sales (Like three million to 9 or something like that) and a much smaller tourney scene.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yep, I've felt the same way. Just as I thought I was getting good and going to tourneys finally, Melee will be over. I'll have to start over with Brawl. I've only been smashing for 8 months, but with Buzz at my side, I know I've learned more than average smashers. He's taught me more about Link and YLink then I would if I taught myself. He's good. ^_^

I'll have to stick with Link once more to stay good when Brawl comes out, considering all his moves are the same mostly.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Im going all falcon in brawl. ALL falcon, because that way even if theres no wavedashing I think Ill still be able to keep my game up to scratch and have a competitive falcon after 1-2 months training in brawl.

Or just not play brawl at all, either one works for me. Melees all I care about here, im totally playing melee today :)

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dylan_Tnga said:
Im going all falcon in brawl. ALL falcon, because that way even if theres no wavedashing I think Ill still be able to keep my game up to scratch and have a competitive falcon after 1-2 months training in brawl.
If Falcon is even in Brawl...

Dylan_Tnga said:
Or just not play brawl at all
What are you talking about? Brawl is going to be amazing!!!!!!!!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
If Falcon is even in Brawl...
Hes not ''Conphrim3d!!!111!!11'' persay. But I'd still be 2 million dollars that the most popular character in smashbros is going to make a return for brawl. make it 6 million, and my unborn children to boot.

What are you talking about? Brawl is going to be amazing!!!!!!!!
Who cares? Melee is already amazing. I aint making no garuntees to myself about anything except the fact that Im always going to play melee. Ill play brawl too but I dont really know about compete in it, especially if its a nubbed out version of melee *cough* automatic crouch cancellling *cough*

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
What about Chet? That guy is a stud. Vwins, I hear, is quite good. My point? Canada is too good. Mid-Low level? Pshh.

My other point is that I don't want to stop playing Melee, either. I've been in the AZ Tournament scene for just under a year, I wish I'd discovered this game back when everybody else did. ****!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
What about Chet? That guy is a stud. Vwins, I hear, is quite good. My point? Canada is too good. Mid-Low level? Pshh.

My other point is that I don't want to stop playing Melee, either. I've been in the AZ Tournament scene for just under a year, I wish I'd discovered this game back when everybody else did. ****!
Chet is a beast. Vwins too. Im not saying canada sucks or I wouldnt be a proud canadian smasher, im just saying our best aren't on the same level as USA's best. Im doing my utmost to be the best smasher I can possibly be and keep learning!

Well dude good to hear some support. I think people like us who just got the tournamnet flavour, but a little late, will be the ones playing melee tourneys for years to come down the line, whereas the pros who've done it all and won it all could definatly be tired of the game.

Viva la melee and brawl, no? But viva la melee, its too good and you dont have to wait a few more months to play it :p

NES n00b

Smash Master
Unfortunately for me, Melee tournies are slowing down due to multiple factors. My area's tourney scene is so slow right now, that the power rankings have not been updated since May and probably won't be updated ever. I am guessing that the power rankings will be made when Brawl is out for awhile, but until then we don't even have that.

Probably this is the last moments that I will play Melee competatively for awhile. I can imagine it will be busted out again at some smashfests and tournies.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Melee tournaments will last quite a while for two big reasons: (1) -- The Wii plays Gamecube games perfectly, so it will be easy to host retro events. (2) -- Most people will prefer the Gamecube controller for Brawl anyway, so that also favors Melee tournaments.

However, despite what many may think, Melee activity will decrease. There is no disputing that. Brawl's release day alone will cause a huge drop in Melee smashfests in favor of Brawl ones.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I'm totally with you. I yet have to prove myself in competitive smash so I'm quite like you there. (except that you probably are WAY better than me) With the end of older, great smashers, a new generation will always be there to replace them. Now, with the beginning of Brawl, they will be more than ever before. But we have to show those guys that this game pwns as much or more than Brawl will. We have to show them (if they not already know of it) the origins of the greatness that hopefully will be SSBB. And hopefully, they will like it.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Cause God hates me. . . . . I don't know. We just don't have that big of a population to get the smashers we need. I am glad that there is at least -Chad- that is still active but he might as well be a Memphis smasher. When Nite quit coming, his crew quit coming. When the crew stop coming, more people dropped and this went on till only -Chad-, ihavespaceballs, and Iori were the only consistent competition that came. I know this from what I heard and what I see now. I wan't around back then. =(

Oxford has no smash players here. There is more than 10,000 college students here and non of them play competative smash. It is unbelievable that there is not even one. Starkville has Shai, 3GOD, MookieRah, and Scrib (maybe JC and Sonny are there, too). The only reason I can think for this is that Engineering people would be the same kind of people to play videogames.

brg

Smash Ace
I wanted to make a discussion about this for a few weeks, so here goes.

I see tournaments with names like ''at melee's end'' I see good players ive known about for awhile talk about quitting, or retiring however you want to put it. I see a lot of talk about melee as if its tournament scene will be completly erased by brawl...

Not on my watch it wont. I plan to host melee tournaments in my home town for the rest of my days, I love this game very much and I dont think a sequel to it merits the death of its competitive scene. Even if brawl takes over and theres only like 5-10 melee smashers left round here Im still going to hold tournaments and keep a power ranking system if the scene dies here.

Now, please dont think im trying to preach and call anyone a quitter, because I live in Canada and as such the best players I compete with are Vwin Bam Pkmvodka, Kage, Matt, etc the canadian top smashers who are about low-mid level in the american tournament scene, except pkm who grabbed 8th or something with DK recently. Mad skills.

Anyhow I Digress, many of you here are so incredibly skilled at melee and have been playing for so long that I can understnad why you wouldnt want to compete anymore. You understand this game 100 percent, you've proved yourself, maybe you want to move on?

But there are many players like myself who only JUST learned how to play smash properly. Im not talking about advanced techniques, wavedashing, blah blah etc. Im talking about having been part of the tournament/competitive scene now for over a year and I have seen my skill gone up drastically. Last year there was no hope of me getting beyond last in a tourney here, this year I think I could grab one of the top ten spots.

People like me who just started to play top level don't feel like quitting melee anytime soon, so maybe we'll become the new reigning champions over those who are sick with melee?

Ive got nothing against brawl... well Ive got a few issues with brawl that I dont want to discuss here as it is a melee topic. But to sum everything up, Brawl or not, Im never, ever, ever going to stop playing melee competitivly...

who's with me?

You want to organize tournaments??? I live in montreal too, please inform me if you plan on organizing stuff, i want to up my level of play. (i started playing smash recently)

Adi

Smash Lord
I'm definetely going to kick in the melee disc to my Wii every once in a while to rock it out, and probably solely play it if Brawl turns out to be crappy. Regardless of what happens, the tournament scene will undoubtedly be smaller, but it's something we're going to have to live with.

ProfessorX

Smash Rookie
Bravo, bravo for still standing by such a great game.
Was Melee perfect? no. not in any sense. But it was something that kept you up at night, perfecting your wavedash. It was as much of a tradition for me to play Smash with my friends as was thanksgiving.
Melee will not have in increse in activity. ever. but people have already said that, and redundancy blows. Melee was the first game that got me to talk to people in my school. I have a line of discussion that goes on forever.
So go shout it from the rooftops, go make a bajillion posters at kinko's with one simple message on it:
MELEE FOR THE WIN!!

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
I won't stop playing melee, but what with Brawl's online play and the probability of a larger playing base, I'll probably move on.
Same here. Melee will always something special, and I'll go back to it time and time again. If there is a tourney, I'll go, but I'm all for Brawl. Change is good. New is better. :)

voittaa711

Smash Journeyman
Chicagoland area---1v1 no items AIM- Voittaa711
I dunno guys...you say that you won't stop playing melee now...but when brawl comes out, you HAVE to admit that it will be the new game you're playing. Not melee.

Melee is a great game, but brawl IMO is just going to blow it out of the water. Melee will become like smash 64 with limited tournys and players because everyone will be playing brawl.

I'm not saying no one will ever play it again...I'm just saying its going to fade just like mostly every other prequel (sad thought I know) games change.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Hm.

I don't think there's ever been a multiplayer game where I've had as much fun or use out of as Melee. My friends and I stacked up hundreds of hours of multiplayer sessions. Every lunch hour we'd go to a friends house and hone our skills back in Grade 8 when it first came out, and played it right through until our friend moved away, although we didn't quit playing all together. We then started playing hard again in grade 11 and 12, the "Nerd Club" was created, while those other slo-mo's were playing Warcraft 3, about 10 of us would duke it out at Smash Bros.

For the years of play that I got out of that game, it was my perfect game. I should just go ahead and call it my favorite game, but I don't for some reason, maybe because it seems like too obvious or not an obvious enough choice.

I went back and beat Paper Mario even after the "better in every way (arguably)" sequal for Gamecube, I don't think that game will ever age, so I'll probably go back and play Melee now and again.

But have you ever went back and played Smash Bros. 64? That takes some getting used to.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I really don't know if I'm still going to play Melee.

It's an awesome game that I would probably enjoy playing sometimes just like smash 64, but if there's no scene then I'll just play something else.

I'm that kind of guy that plays everything... I play so many games that I never think that I will become extremely good in a single one... even though I have this in mind, I still play and enjoy the thrill of competition.

But I'm also a very social guy, so having a good scene with good ppl is very important IMO (like we have in Mtl).

Anyways... yea I won't mind switching games, but I'll still enjoy playing melee... like I still enjoy SF2 very much even though there's not many ppl that plays it.

gnosis

Smash Lord
If I enjoy Brawl more, I won't see the point in Melee other than a few pick-up games every now and then (like I do with 64 right now).

And so far, I have no complaints about Brawl and I like the changes I'm seeing. The 'automatic crouch canceling' thing you brought up is probably a reference to the increased weight on certain moves to prevent interruption, which if it is it makes me question the idea of you having a basic understanding of either feature, and I'd tear into it but...

It's the Melee boards. I'm more loving here. :D

Girl

Smash Apprentice
Melee is my favorite game period. Brawl won't replace it, I will just play both . . .i have a passion for melee and i wont give that up

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Well, your problem is that you joined the melee competitive scene too late, correct? So wouldn't going competitive with brawl the instant it comes out be the perfect opportunity to get the headstart that you were deprived of in melee?

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
exactly my thoughts, and thats what i´m gonna do ;)

off course, there might still be ssbm competitions, while you meet for brawl (doesnt look like you can live with only online play, does it?)

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I know how it feels

I am reserving judgement on this subject, until brawl is released, although I will say this

People will try and argue you over to your side, just stick with your opinion, and good luck, who knows, if brawl just isn't as good I will see you at your tournies.. Even though i live in TN, if brawl isn't as good but people move on for some reason, I will find a tournie

Good luck in melee, it'l last you at least five years like it did for all the old smashers.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
No one is going to quit melee, melee will keep on for 2 or 3 more years I bet ya.

PD: I didn't change my avatar cause I like you dylan, is because I like goku (since we have the same avatar now) =P

texaskid92

Smash Rookie
I still plan on playing SSBM forever. I still play both SSB and SSBM, so that doesn't mean i still can't play all 3. I'm hoping they don't get rid of SSBM tournaments for good because I've always wanted to be in one (Sadly, I've never found one near my area.) Plus, I still have yet to get all the trophies in the game (I got the game in early 2005), so the only thing left for me to do is trash the game. (Yes, I know I might sound like a total n00b right now.) I'll be playing Melee for quite a while.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
I still plan on playing SSBM forever. I still play both SSB and SSBM, so that doesn't mean i still can't play all 3. I'm hoping they don't get rid of SSBM tournaments for good because I've always wanted to be in one (Sadly, I've never found one near my area.) Plus, I still have yet to get all the trophies in the game (I got the game in early 2005), so the only thing left for me to do is trash the game. (Yes, I know I might sound like a total n00b right now.) I'll be playing Melee for quite a while.
Don't worry. There will be more Melee tourneys. :)

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
well the reason that melee is going to take such a huge hit is because when brawl comes out, we are going to be sooooo overwhelmed by having to relearn the game. the fascination of learning new techniques, and creating the metagame and being the pioneers of this new game will keep us away from melee. its gonna take years for the full potential of brawl to be realized, and we are going to be the ones making that journey of making brawl what it becomes. that seems more fascinating then playing melee, since once brawl comes out our skill sare pretty much gonna be set in stone. however good we were when brawl comes out is gonna be just about the same skill level after its been out for awhile cuz everyones attention will be on brawl. wouldnt you rather start fresh with brawl knowing you have an equal chance to be a top player. think about it, we are going to know about all of the advanced stuff right as it is discovered. we ARE going to be the top players for the fact that we will have a head start. think about the player who start playing this game maybe 2 years from now. we will be uber pros to them. obviously we will still play melee, but just think about how many people play ssb64 as opposed to melee. its ok to move on to something better. especially if it has the same lineage as the older subject. i love smash...peace

-hiroshi

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Haha, I -really- don't think brawls gonna be better than melee as a tournament game guys. Itll be fun but it looks way watered down. My prediction is melee pros are going to get bored of brawl after they figure out everything about it and go back to melee.

Just a prediction though, but I'm well known for my anti brawl attitude by now so meh. I like melee too much, the thought of any game being better than it is a logical impossiblity.

Top Bottom