• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ASU (Boone, NC) Halloween Tournament! (Melee/Brawl)

Sengin

Smash Ace
Ok, so I finally have confirmation! The tournament that was going to be on 10/3 is now on 10/31 (Halloween)!

Plemmons Student Union at Appalachian State University
Grandfather Mountain Ballroom
Boone, North Carolina, 28608

The room is huge, it can accommodate a nice 200 people and plenty of TVs. There are plenty of places to eat, both within a couple minutes walking distance and a couple minutes driving distance. Parking is free, there is a parking deck next to the Student Union.

Directions:
Get on US 421 or US 321. They go right through Boone and right next to the Student Union. To find directions to the place, use:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....216415,-81.679541&spn=0.006492,0.013947&z=17

The location of the (A) on the link above is where the parking deck is. Please note that HAMBY ALLEY DOES NOT EXIST. I REPEAT, HAMBY ALLEY DOES NOT EXIST. However, it is approximately the location of the parking deck. To get to the parking deck, you MUST come from West King Street (aka US 421) to College Street, or Blowing Rock Road (aka US 321) to Howard Street. Once you turn onto College Street or get to where Howard Street ends, you cannot miss the parking deck.

REAL layout of roads, not to scale.

Use to find location of tournament from the parking deck.

When:
October 31st, 2009. 12PM (aka noon) until 10PM. Everything needs to be cleaned up by 11PM, so if most things are already cleaned up, we can play a little past 10.

Signups/free play/friendlies from 10AM to noon.

Melee signups close at noon. Brawl signups close at the BEGINNING of the food break.

Events:
Melee singles/doubles
Brawl singles/doubles OR Brawl+ singles/doubles. There is only enough time for 2 games, so you guys let me know which you want: VBrawl or Brawl+. I am leaning towards VBrawl because I don't know how many Brawl+ wiis we can get.

Note: I am going to try to get all events in in a timely fashion. Last time I didn't do doubles, but I'm not doing pools this time, so there should be plenty of time.

Event ordering:
Melee doubles
Melee singles starts towards the end of melee doubles when TV's start to be free
Dinner/food break (approx. 1 hour) - Pizza may be provided, but I'll get back to you on that
Brawl doubles
Brawl singles starts towards the end of brawl doubles when TV's start to be free

Cost and Prizes:
Venue fee: To Be Determined (probably $5, possibly $1)
Singles: $5
Doubles: $10 per team (so yeah, doing math means that it's $5 a teammate)

Prizes pay out 60/30/10. Unless people want 65/25/10, then that's do-able.

Setup Information:
We have at least 10 TV's and 4 projectors. People last time said a couple of the projectors lagged a little, so we'll probably stick with just the TV's for matches and use the projectors for displaying the bracket so you can see it where ever you are.

However, we didn't get to use all the TV's last time because there weren't enough setups (wiis/cubes with melee/brawl/mem card). So please a setup. The more we have, the quicker we can get through the tournaments and the more friendlies we can get in. We have to stop so that everything is cleaned up at 11PM. We cannot be in there later than that.

We should have a projector and a laptop projecting the bracket on the wall at all times so it will be easy to see when you have a match.

Rules (yes, read these because it's slightly different:
General rules:
I'm going to do something a little different. Instead of the usual fare of first stage random, 2nd and 3rd counterpicks unless it's banned, this is what we're gonna do: Stage Striking with no bans. Basically, for the first match, you and your opponent alternate striking out a neutral stage (Kongo 64 is added so there are 7 neutral stages) until there is one left. You then play on that stage. After the first match the normal fare continues: loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character. You can pick any of the legal stages as counterpicks because you cannot ban any stages (well, in Brawl you can, melee you can't). However, you cannot pick a stage you have already won on (Dave's Stupid Rule).

Rounds are best 2 of 3, finals best 3 of 5.

Melee:
The same rules that have been going on for years now: 4 stocks, 8-minutes, no items, etc...

Brawl (thanks theAPExp since I no longer play brawl (partly due to it being stolen)):
-3 stock, 8 minute time limit.
-Matches decided on time are based on stocks, then %'s.
In the event of a true tie the winner will be decided on who is considered more brofessional by refering to the Official Bro Rankings List.
This is judged in order of rank, then honorable mention, then oos "pimp status" brofessionals, then number of times on the list.
If both are tied in this manner then a decision will be made by ACE himself, or an official appointed by ACE to oversee this tourney, on who is more brofessional
-Items set to off
-Sets are best 2 out of 3 matches; all finals are 3/5.
-Infinite cape glitch is banned. If somebody believes you performed the extended cape and the match is reviewable in some manner then we will look into this.
If caught with the extended cape glitch then you will lose that specific match, if caught again you will be dq'd from the tourney and be highly frowned upon, possibly beaten.
-If you the match ends by both players dying to a suicide move performed by ganon, kirby, bowser, or ddd; then the performer of the move wins the match.
-No Stalling. Stalling consists of locks of any form lasting an excessive amount, (this is judged that once a character goes past 300% you must end it quickly), excessive planking
-You are allowed a maximum of 35 ledge grabs per match, anymore and you lose the match (granted the other player didn't go over 35 too).
If a person believes you have exceeded this number they may request to see your ledgegrab count at the end of the match.
-Any one of your matches may be recorded by anyone else for their personal pleasure at a later time.
-If you're playing on a modded wii the players may request you use standard textures/music/whatever.
-Team attack is on for doubles.
-Stage striking for first match in a set chosen from the list of nuetrals. You are then allowed to ban 1 stage after the first match ends.
-Double blind may be used to pick characters by the use of an intermediary for the first match in a set before stage striking occurs.
-After the first match ends you may then select a stage to play on from the list of counterpicks and nuetral stages. The opposing player then chooses their character followed by the other player.
-No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again.
-Standing infinites are legal.
STAGE LIST
Neutral:
Final Destination
Yoshis Island
Smashville
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick:
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Halberd
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Rainbow Cruise

Banned:
All non listed stages

All rules are tentative and can be changed up until the start of the tournament.

Oh yeah, and there may be free Rockstar later on in the day, like last time. If there are any questions, just ask.

theAPExp

Smash Ace
i hope this goes well
even though i don't think it'll be
as big as it would've been
on the earlier date
but
i might play seriously in melee for once
maybe

_[]_
o.@;

GofG

Smash Champion
imma be at this

edit: also if i can get a ride out there, I can offer HUGE amounts of housing; we have a vacation home in west jefferson, ~20 min away from boone

GofG

Smash Champion
yeah we got a loft with 3 beds, two bedrooms, and a basement with a bed in it, also lots of couches etc.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i'm trying to go to georgia for their halloween bash

which will have lots of good people

but if i cant go then we'll see

BEHR

Smash Hero
I dont know.

Maybe this or Raleigh.

I dont know which is closer.

MunkeyX2g

Smash Ace
i'll come to this and bring a few people unless something insane happens friday night

i'll beat the **** out of twig

waters/munkey vs twig/dolphin teams finals?

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
so can we expect anyone in some costumes at this thing? i was going to but lack of money, time, and materials and so on, led me to not being a colossi this year.

but it would be sweet to see some costumes since it IS halloween afterall...oh wait, i dont know if the SU would allow that. if they had any spirt they would.

theAPExp

Smash Ace
i wish you were too stingers

you're like a burden
on everyone
even in melee
when you're jiggs
the weight of a balloon
you're so heavy
breaking backs and ****

stingers

Smash Obsessed