• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask the Princess: Peach FAQ and Q&A

Royal_Tea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Royal_MC7
What would be the best option against shieks needles and bouncing fish?
For when you are on the ground against needles:
Run/walk to approach so you can instant-shield out of your movement. Just continue pressing the direction you want to go in and press shield as well and your shield won't start up as late. I usually do that or do empty short hops with an air dodge to get closer.

For when you are in the air against needles:
Know that needles only go in a straight line, so don't float to get in often. Use airdodges or a turnip to cover your approach. To increase the likelihood that you won't get hit, fast fall your jumps as well.

As for bouncing fish, you just have to know your opponent and know how to react to it. When do they use it? Offense or defense? Is it after combos; do they use it to edgeguad; do they use it to recover?The farthest they can go is half the length of an Omega stage and even then it can't hit you.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Walking with powersheilding, shield stop, and jump cancel fast fall all work well. The latter is especially helpful and should be practiced in training mode until mastered (tutorial here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGxSNOCgRJI). Also feel free to pull a turnip or two if you're at a far distance.

Just know that needle camping is annoying no matter what character you're playing, and you're definitely not going to be able to avoid it all. There's a lot of videos of top peach's vs sheiks so feel free to watch and study how they adapt to needles if you're still having difficulties.
Thanks for the tip

KanjiGames

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kanji12
I'm having trouble landing back on stage, implementing float is obviously super usefull but I still have a hard time landing.

Is this a common Problem for Peach or am I just doing something wrong?

PeachBooty

Smash Apprentice
I'm having trouble landing back on stage, implementing float is obviously super usefull but I still have a hard time landing.

Is this a common Problem for Peach or am I just doing something wrong?
This is a very common problem for Peach. It's her biggest weakness by far. Pretty much her only weakness imo, and I'd help if I could, lol.

Robert Lee

Smash Apprentice
Any tips for fighting against sword characters (marth, ike, roy, lucina)? They seem to be good at poking and walling peach out in the air, especially those dangerous spacing of their attacks. Tips for approaching and baiting?

PeachBooty

Smash Apprentice
Any tips for fighting against sword characters (marth, ike, roy, lucina)? They seem to be good at poking and walling peach out in the air, especially those dangerous spacing of their attacks. Tips for approaching and baiting?
Some of Peach's easiest match-ups. I'm undefeated against all of those characters in tournaments and online. She struggled against sword users in Brawl, but definitely not this game. They're all insanely easy to edge-guard and gimp with turnips. One turnip on Ike offstage is pretty much an instant kill. They're all combo food for Peach, and you can rush them all down very easily. They're also easy to bait and punish with floating and turnips. Turnips work well against all of them in general. Peach can wall them out much easier than they can her, with Bair, Peach Bomber, and once again... turnips.

Last edited:

Robert Lee

Smash Apprentice
Some of Peach's easiest match-ups. I'm undefeated against all of those characters in tournaments and online. She struggled against sword users in Brawl, but definitely not this game. They're all insanely easy to edge-guard and gimp with turnips. One turnip on Ike offstage is pretty much an instant kill. They're all combo food for Peach, and you can rush them all down very easily. They're also easy to bait and punish with floating and turnips. Turnips work well against all of them in general. Peach can wall them out much easier than they can her, with Bair, Peach Bomber, and once again... turnips.
I figure turnips work, but they seem to space their aerials well especially with fast fall auto cancel and follow up with jabs and tilts. Do you have a video or tips how to edgeguard?

PeachBooty

Smash Apprentice
I figure turnips work, but they seem to space their aerials well especially with fast fall auto cancel and follow up with jabs and tilts. Do you have a video or tips how to edgeguard?
I have this long compilation video I made back in March. You can watch the whole thing if you want. The intro is a match with Lucina, and there's some good turnip gimps just after the 10 minute mark, especially at 11:20 against a Marth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1qVc1bJUW4

Fade-away sweet-spotting turnip snipes are way more effective than just throwing them off the ledge, and z-dropping turnips are the best thing to do if you do jump off the ledge. Just baiting with the float, and reacting to the turnip toss with usually a Fair helps.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I know this isn't about Sm4sh
But from melee to brawl, did her Bair and Nair get much more ending lag? And have they gotten weaker because I don't know the Data that shows that.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I know this isn't about Sm4sh
But from melee to brawl, did her Bair and Nair get much more ending lag? And have they gotten weaker because I don't know the Data that shows that.
Melee had float canceling which allowed you to cancel aerials with only 2 frames of lag (the landing lag you have when you drop on the ground), so obviously it less lag out of a float.
Bair itself definitely got more lag in Brawl, in Smash 4 they further reduced 5 frames of the weak hitbox. I think it actually got a bit stronger from Melee to Brawl though.
Nair's strong hit got weaker in Brawl and Smash 4 compared to Melee, but the speed seems to have stayed the same. In Smash 4 the weak hitbox of Nair has been reduced by 5 frames as well.

Meshima

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I'm a newcomer from Japan.
By the way, is it known that Peach's Nair can be cancelled its landing lag like Falco's Dair?
I couldn't find any report about that,. If there is no video, I'm going to make tutorial.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Hey guys. I'm a newcomer from Japan.
By the way, is it known that Peach's Nair can be cancelled its landing lag like Falco's Dair?
I couldn't find any report about that,. If there is no video, I'm going to make tutorial.
マジ?!

Please do explain! I thought only moves with high hitlag could cancel its landing lag, I had no idea that was possible with Nair as well.

If its too much trouble for you, linking a Japanese source would be fine too.

Meshima

Smash Cadet
I made poor tutorial video.
By the way, only few people know this since I haven't got chance to tell.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
O.o
Wait how do you do this???
Land during her hit lag? So basically when you hit someone IMMEDIATLY land and it should be canceled?
Why is this possible with her and Faldo apparently?

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I made poor tutorial video.
By the way, only few people know this since I haven't got chance to tell.

Oh wooooow it's true!! Amazing! I have to try and master this ASAP! It looks super hard though.

(Perhaps this is why her ground float height is slightly higher than it is in Brawl?)

O.o
Wait how do you do this???
Land during her hit lag? So basically when you hit someone IMMEDIATLY land and it should be canceled?
Why is this possible with her and Faldo apparently?
Peach's Nair likely confirms that it is possible with every aerial in the game. However:

• It is much much easier to do with moves that have high hitlag (the moment you freeze when you hit someone like Falco Dair, Bowser Jr Dair, Zelda Fair/Bair).
  • In addition, Down Airs allow you to fast fall and thus cancel your aerials easier by simply pressing the C-stick (and control stick?) down. Usually the character has an animation that stretches itself down, landing a bit faster after hitting. This is why it's easier to with Dairs than with Fair/Bairs.
  • With aerial that do not have high hitlag, this seems nearly impossible to do, especially with aerials that are not Dairs.
  • So why is Peach able to do it anyway, with a Nair that has regular hitlag (x1.0)? It is likely because her float allows her to fast fall much easier and at the desired height, allowing her to time landing with Nair where the hitlag frames overlap with the landing frames.
But don't quote me on it. I'm not at all sure fo this, it's just my interpretation. Let's ask the experts.

@Kurogane Hammer Lavani Lavani @Thinkaman SOS

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
What's happening is that landing lag is playing out during hitlag, it isn't canceled entirely (hence why we've been calling it things like "Frame Sync" and "Landing Sync" on the competitive subforum). It's not easier with high hitlag moves, it's more effective with them.

It works with every aerial, and happens automatically for aerials with landing hitboxes such as Bowser Jr's dair.

The process is basically "hit with the aerial at ground height so you land the next frame". Fastfalling isn't necessary but probably makes it easier.

Meshima

Smash Cadet
What's happening is that landing lag is playing out during hitlag, it isn't canceled entirely (hence why we've been calling it things like "Frame Sync" and "Landing Sync" on the competitive subforum). It's not easier with high hitlag moves, it's more effective with them.

It works with every aerial, and happens automatically for aerials with landing hitboxes such as Bowser Jr's dair.

The process is basically "hit with the aerial at ground height so you land the next frame". Fastfalling isn't necessary but probably makes it easier.
Thanks you for detailed explanation!
I totally didn't understand how it works...

So if Peach attack to shield with Landing Sync Nair, Peach receive 11 frames landing lag / hit lag and the opponent receive 10 frames hit lag + 9 frames shieldstun?
I tried hundreds of times, but couldn't get Landing Sync in the case of attacking to shield.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Im..... still not entirely sure how to do this, but its fine, being a FG player makes it even harder I bet.

Now I wanna know, does Peach have any possible shield breaks she can do? I hate how much I can damage a shield, but never break it.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
So if Peach attack to shield with Landing Sync Nair, Peach receive 11 frames landing lag / hit lag and the opponent receive 10 frames hit lag + 9 frames shieldstun?
It's a bit more complicated than that. Ideally you'll land a frame after hitlag starts, then have 9 frames of hitlag overlap with 9 frames of landing lag, then have 2 frames of landing lag left over after that (10 frames hitlag + 2 frames landing lag).

Sometimes (as far as I can tell it's random), instead of landing right away you'll land on a later frame which seems to vary by attack; when I was testing syncs with ZSS nair, I'd either land 1 frame or 7 frames after hitting, which messes with the frame advantage a lot, while I'd get 1 frame or 5 with Greninja's nair.

I tried hundreds of times, but couldn't get Landing Sync in the case of attacking to shield.
Hmm
I've been told it might only work on shield with attacks that hit when landing like Bowser Jr's dair. That seemed weird/unlikely to me, but it's really hard to test on-shield stuff on 3DS where I can't control both characters so I couldn't look into it.

Meshima

Smash Cadet
It's a bit more complicated than that. Ideally you'll land a frame after hitlag starts, then have 9 frames of hitlag overlap with 9 frames of landing lag, then have 2 frames of landing lag left over after that (10 frames hitlag + 2 frames landing lag).

Sometimes (as far as I can tell it's random), instead of landing right away you'll land on a later frame which seems to vary by attack; when I was testing syncs with ZSS nair, I'd either land 1 frame or 7 frames after hitting, which messes with the frame advantage a lot, while I'd get 1 frame or 5 with Greninja's nair.
OK, maybe understand what happen.
I appreciate your polite response!
The description "...with 9 frames of landing lag" is "...with 11 frames of landing lag", isn't it?

Hmm
I've been told it might only work on shield with attacks that hit when landing like Bowser Jr's dair. That seemed weird/unlikely to me, but it's really hard to test on-shield stuff on 3DS where I can't control both characters so I couldn't look into it.
I checked the timing and her height of Nair in 1/4 speed by WiiU.
At exactly same situation(seemed for me), she can get Landing Sync with off-shield while can't on-shield.
I'm going to test more harder :-(

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
OK, maybe understand what happen.
I appreciate your polite response!
The description "...with 9 frames of landing lag" is "...with 11 frames of landing lag", isn't it?

I checked the timing and her height of Nair in 1/4 speed by WiiU.
At exactly same situation(seemed for me), she can get Landing Sync with off-shield while can't on-shield.
I'm going to test more harder :-(
Let me try to explain it another way:

Blue is hitlag
Red is landing lag
Purple is hitlag and landing lag at the same time

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15]
Hit 1f
Land 2f

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
EOE EOE does Peach have any notable way for breaking shields? I can easily wittle them down, but never find any way to break it fully :\
M Meru. Do you know any?

Last edited:

Meshima

Smash Cadet
Let me try to explain it another way:

Blue is hitlag
Red is landing lag
Purple is hitlag and landing lag at the same time

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15]
Hit 1f
Land 2f
Oh, I was completely misunderstanding. Thanks.

This is a really great find. N-air > D-tilt could be a good option OOS now using this technique.

Thanks M Meshima & Lavani Lavani !

Also can get Uair infinite combo at very low%(0 - around 20%).

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Hm, what is Peach's best and worst weapon of the F-Smash line-up?
I'm inclined to say Tennis Racket is the best for its power, range and trajectory, and the Golf Club def has the worst trajectory. I don't really have issues hitting with the pan.

On another note, what is Peach's best way of punishing a shield break at low %s and her most damaging punish (I'm thinking Frying Pan but I could be wrong)?

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
All of her fsmashes are good for there own reasons. Racket tends to be best at killing, pan is good b/c it does the most percent and kills the best when facing away from the edge, and golf club has the most range. I tend to find club the best overall because of its great range, but racket and pan are good for reads (which one is better depends on stage position and the opponent's percent.)

For punishing a shield break, I'd use pan at lower percent for the most damage, and racket at higher percents for the best chance of killing. Due note, however, that the angle pan send the opponent may be better for killing depending on where on the stage you break the opponents shield. Never use club b/c its only benefit is range, which isn't important when punishing a shield break.

EOE

Smash Apprentice
EOE EOE does Peach have any notable way for breaking shields? I can easily wittle them down, but never find any way to break it fully :\
M Meru. Do you know any?
I don't get shield breaks very often, but you can apply good shield pressure with moves that have little cooldown or landing lag.

Float D-air > Fast fall N-air > RAR B-air
Float D-air > Turnip Down Throw > F-smash (will break full shields) / F-tilt or Dash-attack (will break slightly lower than full shields)
Float D-air > Dot-eyes/Stitch-face

Ground Float N-air > RAR B-air
Ground Float N-air > D-tilt > N-air > RAR B-air

Side-B > Float D-air > etc...

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
The best way to punish a shield break is to pull a Bomb-Omb, throw it upwards and counter the explosion.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Just some quick questions on peach. What Stages should I be banning, are there any in particular guys don't like to fight on? Also, are there any Character MUs you don't like?

Ansem

Smash Cadet
Just some quick questions on peach. What Stages should I be banning, are there any in particular guys don't like to fight on? Also, are there any Character MUs you don't like?
Its mostly preference and MU when i ban.

Personally i prefer stages with platforms like BF DL TC and i hate lylat. But if given bans i wont let a zss dk mario take me to dl or tc, and even though i like platformns ill couterpick DH and FD vs characters that have a hard time following float or who cant really punish you for being above them.

Lunacywastaken

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunacywastaken
Currently I main :4lucas: and second :4palutena:, and I'm quite interested in how :4peach: plays, however I know she has a high learning curve because of her unique playstyle and her plethora of techs.

Is it a bad idea if I decided to pick up Peach as a secondary/tertiary, and is it worth the effort if I do?

Thanks in advance~

PeachBooty

Smash Apprentice
Currently I main :4lucas: and second :4palutena:, and I'm quite interested in how :4peach: plays, however I know she has a high learning curve because of her unique playstyle and her plethora of techs.

Is it a bad idea if I decided to pick up Peach as a secondary/tertiary, and is it worth the effort if I do?

Thanks in advance~
Honestly, I've always called Peach a main or bust character, but do what you want to do.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Yeah well you're going to need to put in a lot of work to be even somewhat near decent with her... so think about the commitment before jumping in

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Hi guys, Bowser main here. I met a Peach online today who seemed to have my number. I DI'd to Peach's back on throws but got hit anyway (I'm a fatty I guess), but more specifically I was having real trouble with what seemed to be (if I'm remembering right) a turnip throw into my shield, followed by floating dair, either nair or fair and then jabs. Through all this there doesn't seem to be any time I can counterattack or get out safely and eventually I would either get shield poked or try to get out and get hit (rather than risk a shield break). Where is the weak moment in this progression of moves?

I can't shield grab because peach is floating slightly too high. Jabs (Bowser's fastest grounded move, frame 7) will likely whiff too. I'd like to use Bowser's OOS jump canceled fortress (frame 6+jump cancel frames) but I found myself getting hit trying to use it, and it's even possible to whiff the thing and get punished with another dair from just the right height. Utilt (frame 11) would hit but is probably too slow, as is up angled ftilt (frame 10). Do I just need to desperation roll out of there? Is this one of those "safe online, but not off" combos? What's up? Any advice would be helpful.

I suppose it's also possible that I was missing the time to counter because Peach's body is practically inside Bowser's and it's hard to see what she's doing.

Last edited:

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
If Peach dairs your shield and wants to land with a nair. You can Jump cancel up-B out of shield. Fastest option you have out of shield as bowser. You have about 5 frames to punish her. Your up-B hits on frame 6. Now this is now a move that would beat her unless she is a lil over you, where the nair wont hit right away. And you get your hit. The best thing to do is to just block and respect her in shield. If she goes for double jab, wait for it, then jump cancel up-b out of shield. Free punish. A Smart Peach will mix up the pressure on your shield. Leaving you open on your up-B and get punished for it.

When pressure, you dont waste your time trying to counter attack. You need to get away somehow. You can stay blocking if you thinking she will jump back to a spaced air attacking assuming you will jump at her. This is your chance to get some breathing room. roll out the way if you think the player will stay in one spot trying to shield pressure you. Or punish if she double jab on shield. You can move/punish if she does things like jab, ftilt,dtilt (sometimes) on shield. Anything else is usually pressure and baits you have to respect. You also need to pay attention on the most common ways the player approaches you and pressures you.

You wanna remain center stage the most. if the player jumps at you with a turnip, you can hit/catch it with nair. Then you can just pull away when she comes at you. From here at a ceratin range you have the advantage due to your range and you have an item. You have faster and more ranged moves then Peach facing her. This is where you wanna be alot. Jab mix ups and spaced Fairs/tilts. Peach can not go at you with floating dairs. Too slow. and anything else is just asking to get countered.

You best too keep moving and might have to block alot. Just use your range to have her calm down in the air. And when you have her on shield, she cant do a damm thing too you with good pressure. If she just wants to throw out dairs and is pulling back, slowly follow her. She pins herself to the ledge. And now you are close to her. Can't safely pull turnips or space moves. This is where you use your range to you your advantage to counter, force a block and pressure for damage.

Top Bottom