• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask the Princess: Peach FAQ and Q&A

Key313

Smash Cadet
Cronoc that was probably me. I have you listed in Player History near the top and remember a Bowser player considering he is so rare. Can't remember too much about the matches but there was a lot of Whirling Fortress punishes since I would wait in shield expecting the "get out of jail card". Bowser Bomb loses to the Parasol. I have had it trade just once however. Also if they are alert it's not worth using trying to get a shield break with it. That's asking to be up smashed. Outside of that you were letting me have a lot of space so I could do turnip shenanigans.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Hello Peach boards!

Since I like complex characters (I use ROB, Pacman, and Ryu besides G&W), I'm eyeing Peach and might consider taking her into my pocket in the near future. Once I become solid with the aforementioned 3 complex characters, how well do you think I would fare with Peach?

Please note that I'm casual-competitive, where I'm looking to get better while playing with tourney rules, but I don't go to tourneys.

And yes, I'm aware of the whole "main or bust" thing with Peach and Ryu.

PeachBooty

Smash Apprentice
Hello Peach boards!

Since I like complex characters (I use ROB, Pacman, and Ryu besides G&W), I'm eyeing Peach and might consider taking her into my pocket in the near future. Once I become solid with the aforementioned 3 complex characters, how well do you think I would fare with Peach?

Please note that I'm casual-competitive, where I'm looking to get better while playing with tourney rules, but I don't go to tourneys.

And yes, I'm aware of the whole "main or bust" thing with Peach and Ryu.
Lol, I'm usually the one who says the "main or bust" thing with Peach, haha, but again, if you want to learn her, go for it. Even though I go to tournaments sometimes, I'd also consider myself more casual-competitive than purely competitive.

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
So I've decided to learn this character for real. I've been playing her for fun in friendlies occasionally. So I sat down and watched EOE's combo tutorials and learned as many as I could. My fingers aren't fast enough yet, but hopefully I'll learn that. So far I have problems with actually using dair in matches to set up to other attacks. My question is, should I focus on learning the combos first or should I focus on something else when learning this character?

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
So I've decided to learn this character for real. I've been playing her for fun in friendlies occasionally. So I sat down and watched EOE's combo tutorials and learned as many as I could. My fingers aren't fast enough yet, but hopefully I'll learn that. So far I have problems with actually using dair in matches to set up to other attacks. My question is, should I focus on learning the combos first or should I focus on something else when learning this character?
Focus on having a strong but safe neutral game. When you get a hit on your opponent, optimalize your reward with your combo and pressure game. Train her bread and butter combos in Training so you get the hang of them and can pull them off in a real match right after you get a hit in. Practice simple BnB combos like Dair combos, Nair to Dash Attack or grab, Dthrow to Bair/Uair etc. Know from what percent her combos work or stop working. This shouldn't take that long. You dont have to do her complicated combos. Her combos also feel pretty natural, you can improve on them during matches.

Focusing on combos yields the danger of becoming predictable and choosing unsafe tactics, since you are only thinking of the reward you will get on a hit, instead of choosing a move that is safer and more sure to hit. For example you see a lot of Peaches trying to Dair their opponent at a low percent, even when their opponent sees the Dair coming and is doing everything to avoid it. Often, using another move would have been a better a much better choice. In the ideal situation, you want to have a strong and safe neutral, and then convert every hit you give to a pressure or combo situation. This is harder with some moves (Fair, Bair are a bit harder to get pressure off) than with other moves (Dair, Nair etc., which have guaranteed combos off them). Anyhow training the best way to convert a hit into a combo/pressure game situation (so practice those simple combos and set-ups) seems the best thing to me, as getting as much percent on your opponent as you can (while not being reckless!!) after you get a hit is an essential skill.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Hey, do you guys have a compendium for damage values on default and custom turnips? I could use a quick resource to make sense of what I'm finding with light veggies.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
Hello... I might want to start using this character. I've always loved her, but never really used her. I have a thing for her.
:love::peach::peachmelee::4peach::love:
What should I be trying to do in battles?
What attacks should I be using?
Is Peach hard to play as, and how SHOULD I be playing?
If someone can give me advice with Peach... Thanks.

Breakout

Smash Rookie
NNID
Plataypus72
that was not helpful at all. and considering you actually have to buffer for diddys d throw to true combo with up air i dont think a 17 frame hit box would come out fast enough. not that it even matters if it would, cause this is all hypothetical anyway.
Think of peach's fair like captain falcon's knee not very good to throw out all the time due to it being highly punishable. But a great combo finisher and reading tool.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
I picked up Peach a little while ago and I think I've got the basics down. Right now I'm looking into footstool combos and I was wondering if a footstool out of down throw can work at low %s. I can do it in the training room against lvl 9s, but I don't have an offline partner to lab with and I won't be landing these online. At about 15% from about center stage on Sheik I can footstool > Jab lock > "Infinite" > Death. The infinite is the float cancel u-air after a grounded footstool. It seems to work on CPUs, but I won't be fully satisfied until I or someone else can confirm it on an actual person with different DI. So, has this already been discussed and if so where?

Also, I'm having trouble finding the AT thread or is it like how the Palu boards used to be with a different thread for each tech? I ask because Peach has way more tech than almost all the characters in the game, and just the little bit there is on Palutena was annoying to shift through multiple threads for.

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
so i found this pretty cool conversion on mid to heavy weights with peach just found it out not sure if it's true but i'm pretty sure it is.
at around 0% down throw into a float canceled nair into re-grab down throw into potentially another float canceled nair into another re-grab the last part may not be true I'm not sure because i was in the lab on a cpu, but it maybe true if you can work in perfect pivots.

Solasel

Smash Rookie
Hey Peach Boards! I've been playing smash for a long time, and have decided to take up the seemingly formidable challenge of learning peach. My question is this: I just transitioned to using C-Stick for directional aerials (which is awesome, esp for turnip combos), but a problem arises when I try to do floating aerials. For instance, imagine float fair (even though it's not good, just imagine it). How do you do it? Do you use the A button? Do you contort your hand to hit the C-stick? Do you use your left hand?

Thanks! Btw I use Y for jumping (X makes it a bit easier to use C-stick, but still really hard).

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
I use L for jump so my right hand is free to hit the c-stick.

LeWall

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriiluup
Any Offensive/Defensive/MixUp/FollowUp/Low/High wayz to use Peach Jab?

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Any Offensive/Defensive/MixUp/FollowUp/Low/High wayz to use Peach Jab?
If you read a roll coming your way but your opponent is at low percent, use Jab. We don't want to stale our frying pan or up smash, do we? Jab can also be followed up after a ground float neutral aerial.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Every time my turnips get caught! aNY TIPS when too Shoot em?
Catch them back! Lol.
But seriously, try to make the opponent guess when you are going to throw them. Most people just throw them immediately after plucking one. Just vary how long you hold the turnip before tossing.

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
I'm having trouble using Peach's recovery because for some reason every time I use it a little bit below the stage I don't ledge snap and I've been punished a lot for it. Is there some reason why it won't directly snap? I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing or if I need to use the parasol lower below the stage (which tbh seems dangerous because the longer I'm off stage the better chance I have of being attacked).

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
Well staying off stage gives your opponent a longer time to think about what they can do to punish. If you're going low it's best to go low enough to snap with parasol because it's a hard move to beat

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking into possibly playing peach as a secondary. (Of all the questions to ask lol) how do you foostool but not jump? An example would be the footstool to fast fall uair you guys do.

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking into possibly playing peach as a secondary. (Of all the questions to ask lol) how do you foostool but not jump? An example would be the footstool to fast fall uair you guys do.
You have to jump, footstool and immediately trigger float (so let's use X as jump) and it would be:

X > X (footstool) > X + down (float) followed by whatever like falling Uair

Weirdly enough I can't do this yet I know how from making several attempts at it.

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
Well staying off stage gives your opponent a longer time to think about what they can do to punish. If you're going low it's best to go low enough to snap with parasol because it's a hard move to beat

Double post sorry.

Anyway what I'm trying to figure out is why I'm not instantly ledge snapping with parasol if I'm not at the correct height below the stage.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Ok so to clarify, the not jumping part from the foot stool is peach specific, because she's the only one who can float?

Royal_Tea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Royal_MC7
I'm having trouble using Peach's recovery because for some reason every time I use it a little bit below the stage I don't ledge snap and I've been punished a lot for it. Is there some reason why it won't directly snap? I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing or if I need to use the parasol lower below the stage (which tbh seems dangerous because the longer I'm off stage the better chance I have of being attacked).
Late as heck, but the parasol will never snap to the ledge if you are slightly below the ledge. My only other guess would be that you could be pressing down right after you up-B, pressing down after any up-B will make your character go through the ledge. It's sometimes used as a mixup, but it's hella risky.

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
In addition it might be because you're facing backwards from the ledge, in which case you won't grab the ledge unless you're in freefall.

LegendOfZeldaNut

Proud Bearer of the Triforce of Courage
Hi there,
I am a new Peach and Zero Suit Samus dual main, and I was wondering if between the two of them, they cover each other's bad match ups or do I need to take on another character

CaptainYesz

Smash Rookie
I really want some feedback from the peach community since I get consistent good feedback from people I play on Anther's but they don't know the options peach has and what I'm doing well/not well/omitting from my gameplay.

How does one upload replays that're more than 3 minutes long?

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Hey there :4peach: boards! A clueless WFT main who wants to learn how to Peach here! I got some stupid questions that I hope you'll answer.

Question #1: How do you combo as her? I don't know if any of her throws combo, that's why I am asking.

Question #2: How should you kill? Turnip gimps or like, smash attacks? I know her Fair has insane knockback.

Question #3: When should and shouldn't you use a turnip?

Question #4: What are her best OOS options?

Question #5: What are her best stages?

Thanks for helping a clueless Wii Fit Trainer main! :ness:

Ya'll are awesome!~

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
Question #1: How do you combo as her? I don't know if any of her throws combo, that's why I am asking.

Question #2: How should you kill? Turnip gimps or like, smash attacks? I know her Fair has insane knockback.

Question #3: When should and shouldn't you use a turnip?

Question #4: What are her best OOS options?

Question #5: What are her best stages?
1) She has an unreal amount of combos at varying percents. I'll list them at the bottom.

2) This is situational. Certain characters with bad recoveries (Cloud, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Marth, Roy, etc) you can use turnips with well-timed throws to ruin their recoveries. You can also use turnips for setups off stage where, if you throw one and they dodge it, you can run in with aerials (Fair is my favorite). Smash attacks you could use whenever you know they'll land. Dsmash won't kill but racks up damage and punishes spot dodges. I like using Tennis/Frying Pan Fsmash for killing options. Usmash only works if you can hit them with the very tips of her hands. Otherwise, it won't kill as early.

3) You should have turnips in hand 80% of your match. It's what makes her neutral game scary. She's the only character who can use aerials with items in hand, so mastering her floating + item use is paramount. Turnips lead into grabs, combos, mix-ups, fakes, you name it.

4) You could do JCUS (jump-cancelled Usmash), Nair, or Up B (you can b-reverse this, which can kill depending on percents).

5) Peach does very well on platform stages. Things like Battlefield and Dream Land are good. I truthfully avoid flat stages like FD. I LOVE Smashville/Town and City. The platforms give you the options to recover at weird places, can set up pressure situations for your foes, and give you options of fighting with or without platforms. Also, I have NEVER lost a game on Duck Hunt. It's a large stage, perfect for survival, has a few platforms to help. Also, At the very top of the tree you can get OOS parasol kills if you can lure people up there. Kills at about 25%~ depending on the opponent's weight.
- Regardless of how I feel, choose whatever stages you feel comfortable fighting on. Some people don't like my stages, others do, it's personal preference. (Also, 100% avoid Lylat. It ruins her floats because it tilts. It was her worse stage in Brawl, and still is in Smash 4).

Combos:

At 0%:
- Grab > F Throw > Dash Attack >~ possible Fair if they don't dodge
- Grab > D Throw > F tilt (characters that fast fall you can even chain grab, repeat the same actions <--)
- Grab > D Throw > Footstool Float > Fast Fall Uair (it's an infinite, but since the last patch it's not entirely viable)
- Grab > D Throw / U Throw > Up B
- Grab > D Throw > Uair > Uair > Up B (this is situational but works)
- Floating Dair > Floating Fair/Nair/Bair (based on where they DI after the final Dair hit) (this only works at this percent and you need to float at head level)

At 10-30%:
- Grab > D Throw > Bair >~ possible Side B if they don't react

At 40-70%:
- Grab > D throw > Bair

(her grabs don't combo after this anymore)

Floating Dair > double jump Fair (if used at the edge on someone you can possibly kill early if the opponent weighs very little)

I'm probably forgetting some of them (I had a gigantic list written down somewhere but it's not on me, so this is all I could remember. I hope this helps a little bit.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Does Peach have her LIFT AT like she does in Brawl? Stumbled on some old Brawl tech videos and was curious if anything got carried over to Sm4sh.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
**** yeah she does bro! nice catch I haven't seen any peach use this yet.
Hype. Does she have, like, the full 7 frames of invincibility if you do it right? Looking for more information about the Sm4sh version of LIFT and not finding it anywhere lol

dskank

Smash Journeyman
Hype. Does she have, like, the full 7 frames of invincibility if you do it right? Looking for more information about the Sm4sh version of LIFT and not finding it anywhere lol
i didnt watch the whole vid explaining lift, I would say no to the invincibility, but it is a faster get up option than either normal get up or ledge hopping so i'm sure it has its applications.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I keep hearing that Peach still has her Uair footstool infinite after the patch that changed the first hit, but only against specific characters. Can I get some clarification on this? I see no proof of this still working anywhere against any character.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I keep hearing that Peach still has her Uair footstool infinite after the patch that changed the first hit, but only against specific characters. Can I get some clarification on this? I see no proof of this still working anywhere against any character.
Yes, the infinite still works against a very limited number of characters. Umeki uploaded a vid of him infiniting 1.1.5 Bayonetta a long time ago, but he has deleted the video, likely in the fear of the infinite being removed. There's an image on the internet somewhere showing what characters can be infinited and what characters cannot. Only characters that are tall enough to get hit by the side hits of the first hit (Bayo, Bowser, Ganondorf etc.) can be infinited.

As far as I know pretty much everyone has given up on the infinite though.

Top Bottom