• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Nicknyte about Pichu thread

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
....I can't find a quip to write back about this....

Time out the clock, run away, gimp. As long as <Insert move here> doesn't hit you, you will win! :D

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I would have to agree with Nicknyte, all of ganon's moves **** pichu, so I find it best to play defensive and look for an opening in which you can deal a few percent and then run away again and eventually nair them off stage and try to gimp. playing in they're face for too long results in you getting killed.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lolz. pichu's tilts/jab can be quite trollish if used in the right situation.
If you get falcon (or a few other characters) up against a wall and jab they can't get out... no matter how hard they SDI
except that i think you will be pushed backwards, so its really good in pokemon stadium in the pit :p

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
In teams when my teamate grabs them I fully charge my side b and when it grab releases they get exploded.

also, it irritates me how NickNyte doesn't check this thread.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
But you aren't NickNyte... you don't has a hat. or post a link to the same video of yourself over and over again.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
lolz. pichu's tilts/jab can be quite trollish if used in the right situation.
If you get falcon (or a few other characters) up against a wall and jab they can't get out... no matter how hard they SDI
except that i think you will be pushed backwards, so its really good in pokemon stadium in the pit :p
I guess. What I noticed, after a while, is that pichu's headbutt has horrible DR. Seriously, after a while I was getting 1% per 3 hits.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I mean, if you need it to lock down someone in DA PIT or in DA TREE, it could be useful to follow up with an Usmash after 80 pecent. 95 on heavies.

Beat!

Smash Master
There's no such thing as "endless" jabs in tourney play. Pokemon stadium is the only legal stage with walls, and they're not there all the time.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
It doesnt combo, but do you really expect your opponent to do any other move while stuck? lol Wall combos are not banned in Melee. Just Brawl.

SnakeMan

Smash Cadet
Sweet. Good to know. Sorry bout the misinformed post!

So I recently picked up pichu cuz I have sick,demented obsession with playing low-tiers, and have not found any reliable ko moves( moves that kill or setup nice for edgegaurd). Usmash is nice but not easily landable for me due to its small range. Everything else just seems really dangerous and punishable.

Any thoughts?

:phone:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uhm.. to edgeguard like all of your smashes will work if you learn to use them. especially f-smash. if you want a kill, your f-smash and your upsmash are really your best options. as for the range you kinda get used to it the more you play... I'm usually playing in my opponents face anyways. you can also tech chase with a running usmash if that helps...

upsmash->down B will help you kill a little faster too sometimes, and even if it doesn't kill them, hurting them a little more is better than doing nothing.

Don't be too scared to use electric attacks even though they hurt you, they are often pretty useful (you shouldn't be doing more than 25% to your self per stock max. though) Jolts are pretty good, F-throw can be good, fsmash is really good, thunder can be good (you usually should miss your self though, avoiding damage to yourself), side b is good for recovering and punishing a puff that missed a rest, UpB is supah sexy.

another thing that will help you with your range problem is Perfect Agility stuffs. you can approach with agility as long as your opponent isn't in a postition to punish it or don't see it coming and then you can just upsmash them or something.

but really for killing i find it best for Pichu to just try to get gimpy edgeguardyness. you have quite a few attacks that will get them off stage (back throw, fsmash, nair, bair, etc.) then you can follow up with a nair or jolt off stage or you can fsmash/dsmash/upsmash them out of their upB or w/e. Falco/Fox are an easy kill if you can get them bellow you. i usually charge up an Fsmash then let it go right as they begin to move and it kills them.

you can also jab to edgeguard if you do it fast enough :p

if you get fox or falco in the right position you can do your fair and it will drag them down bellow the stage and you should be able to grab the ledge before them if they are still able to get back.

Nair off the ledge is also good for gimping if you've grabbed the ledge.

sorry for this wall of text, I'm just typing everything that I can think of that I do to get kills...
And I too share your affinity for Low tiers ^^

SnakeMan

Smash Cadet
Kewl, thanks aesir. I know alot of my problem is just being new with pichu, so ive gotta get used to his spacing and movement in order to sweetspot the moves better.
I kinda forgot all about bair, but as I recall it seemed to have prettu good knockback, maybe enough to setup a good edgegaurd?

Anyway, thanks again for the help and taking time to answer my noob questions :-)

:phone:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
bair can set up edgeguards, but nair would be a better option imo. Also, learning to jolt well is really good, you'll be able to knock people bellow the stage, I've edgeguarded puff with jolts before ^^

and fsmash may seem a little unreliable due to the fact that people can SDi out of it, but don't be afraid to use it. I get many kills off of fsmash. downsmash is really god against recoveries like falcons or ganons (for some reason i mess up with fsmash on those 2 allot, so i find it better to downsmash, but you could always fsmash). edgeguarding with upsmash also works since pichu's upsmash hits underneath him too, go right against the egde and face towards the stage and upsmash right as they hit you and it will kill well, but fsmash is usually the best option. jolts and nair too.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
bair can set up edgeguards, but nair would be a better option imo. Also, learning to jolt well is really good, you'll be able to knock people bellow the stage, I've edgeguarded puff with jolts before ^^

and fsmash may seem a little unreliable due to the fact that people can SDi out of it, but don't be afraid to use it. I get many kills off of fsmash. downsmash is really god against recoveries like falcons or ganons (for some reason i mess up with fsmash on those 2 allot, so i find it better to downsmash, but you could always fsmash). edgeguarding with upsmash also works since pichu's upsmash hits underneath him too, go right against the egde and face towards the stage and upsmash right as they hit you and it will kill well, but fsmash is usually the best option. jolts and nair too.

Edgeguarding Puff with Jolts is IMO a waste of %, because she recovers. Now if we are talking Foxes and Falcos, thats a diffy story. Puff has great aerial mobility, so you have to be inuituve in order to kill her, most likely with an Usmash. If you are gimping jiggs with jolts, well, thats one bad jiggy. lol

Fsmash is very reliable in the original 1.01 verson of melee, you know, the one where you can't escape Zelda's fsmash. Aesir is right about the edgeguarding bit with dsmash, as most people won't know or can't DI it properly. Its situational. If you see Low damage/or someone edgecamping, fsmash. If someone is high damage, do a agility cancel into an upsmash to keep you lag free and fast.

Top Bottom