• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask HugS about Samus in Brawl

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'll try to answer your question bs4...I think HugS said something like some of the crucial aspects of Samus's game were nerfed, like her down smash, her sex kick, missile game,, charged shot, etc...and things that were just fine before were unnecessarily made slightly or moderately better...like her up-smash, most of her arials, up-b. I believe he said something to that effect in some post he made. So yeah, SOME of Samus's things were nerfed and some upgraded, but it's too soon to say how she stacks up compared to the other characters on a higher level of play, naturally.

And I think the post you quoted of HugS should have answered your question, btw, based on what you make of the observations he presented to us, haha.
Technically, her Up-smash kinda needed a buff. It was basically the only thing that Sakurai changed that needed to be changed.

At least that's what I got out of HugS' posts.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
On a scale from 1 to 10,

How much fun did you have?
How much potential for competitive play (as we know it) is there?
Rating for Samus as a character?
How much fun did you have? 8/10. It'd be higher, but a lot of my fun comes from beating ***. And I wasn't doing too much of that.
How much potential for competitive play (as we know it) is there? 9/10. But just like melee, we will probably need to tweak the rules of the game a LOT.
Rating for Samus as a character? 7/10. Middle/high tier. Based on the demo.

Cronius

Smash Apprentice
I feel that the more important techniques were nerfed and the techniques that were just fine were the only ones that got better, minus the usmash.

We didn't really need a better up B or a better uair u know. But we sure as hell needed a wavedash, similar if not better missiles, and a charge shot that was as good as before.

What needed to be fixed wasn't fixed and was made worse in some cases. What worked already was unnecessarily improved.
All of this just means that the more "important techniques" will become less important in Brawl, and the "techniques that were just fine" will become more important, therefore making Samus play differently. Remember guys, this game isn't Melee, so getting used to playing characters a different way is going to be s staple in getting good at this game.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
also, about how long would you say it takes for bombs to explode on thier own, about the same?

and... do bombs have more priority now, cuz that'd be great.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
And you can't press down to get off the ledge, so I had to get used to it still.
Lol, wow, really? That's lame.

Alright, now some of these questions might be hard to answer since you aren't fresh with the demo anymore, but please do your best for me:

1) Is the animation for the missile/charge shot/bombs canceled upon hitting the ground? I heard characters like Diddy and Fox can't SH(insert projectile) and cancel ending lag, and then I heard there was difficulty missile canceling, so now I'm worried.

2) Can you 'interrupt' the invulnerability of an airdodge by pressing the button to grappe?

3) upB out of shield still almost nearly broken? By that I mean is it still rediculously quick and high-priority.

4) Could you see some combo potential in the missiles now that they hit UP rather than AWAY?

5) How's the knockback/stun on the bombs? How about the trajectory of Samus' Utilt? Same as in Melee?

6) With the new game mechanics, what happens when you bomb against someone's shield?

7) Will you still play Samus even if she ends up low/bottom tier?

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
HugS, was the TGM combo done at all?
I thought I read a post of yours somewhere in the Brawl forums which confirmed the TGM combo was in Brawl. Was that just based on Gimpyfish and you need Hugs to confirm just in case, or maybe just with some characters and you don't know about Samus yet? I sure hope it's in there 'cuz on off days when I can't WoF I usually resort to just TGM comboing everywhere.

> 1) Is the animation for the missile/charge shot/bombs canceled upon hitting the ground?

From what I understand it doesn't seem like it, but Hugs wasn't 100% sure. Not sure about the rest of the questions.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
From what I understand it doesn't seem like it, but Hugs wasn't 100% sure. Not sure about the rest of the questions.
Hm...so we're gonna be re-thinking even basic Samus strat. Oh well, thankies for trying to help. I read a few pages of this thread, but it honestly takes too much time to read it all. I don't know how HugS can do it. ._o

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
I dont know if anyone has asked this in any other threads or in this one yet but I thought of it the other day and was trying to think if I saw it anywhere.

Did anyone powershield anything at E For All? Its not really a samus specific question but I was just wondering if you personally saw anyone do it. I dont know what would be different about it but maybe the timing is easier/harder. Just a thought.

Phlemingo

Smash Ace
I dont know if anyone has asked this in any other threads or in this one yet but I thought of it the other day and was trying to think if I saw it anywhere.

Did anyone powershield anything at E For All? Its not really a samus specific question but I was just wondering if you personally saw anyone do it. I dont know what would be different about it but maybe the timing is easier/harder. Just a thought.
Yea, I saw a vid where Pikachu reflected some kind of projectile on Yoshi's Island.

Top Bottom