• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

Rajam

Smash Champion
i have a little trouble by cp'ing against other high tiers
such against marth snake mk ddk and falco
imo is fd not that bad against mk but it's only a personal feeling cause i like the "freeness" of this stage and not being handicapped by any platforms i don't like it that much anyways
i live in germany and we have our own sucky ruleset and there's no ****ing brinstar anymore don't speack about rc :D
so what about halberd cause of this lower blastzone or delfino with sharking and so on?
don't know which are Europe stages, but imo...

Snake:
ban halberd, cp delfino or lylat

Falco:
cp frigate, maybe castle siege

not very sure about the others.
Halberd isn't really a good stage for GW imo, don't know exactly why, but the platform in the middle is really bothersome for approaches...

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
Brinstar and rc if it isnt mk. And even if it is mk I figure rc would be better than brinstar since hus tilts are what beats us anyway

:phone:
like i said unfortunately in germany whe have our own stupid ruleset
and the best cp for g&w in this ruleset is fo cuz rc and brinstar are BANNED!!!!!!!!!!
XD
so now i have to be creative :(

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
yeah you're saying it.. fail
i'm not really happy with this limited stages
yeah i also thought about Plaza
i think you can really annoy your enemy with dair if he's in the water? and those dtilt locks against the walls would be pretty awesome
other than Plaza other cp's except the "common" ones?
like Halberd because of the Blastzone?

Rajam

Smash Champion
yeah you're saying it.. fail
i'm not really happy with this limited stages
yeah i also thought about Plaza
i think you can really annoy your enemy with dair if he's in the water? and those dtilt locks against the walls would be pretty awesome
other than Plaza other cp's except the "common" ones?
like Halberd because of the Blastzone?
Frigate is overall a good cp for GW
Lylat as well, and maybe Battlefield
mmm you may try Pokemon Stadium 2 if it's legal. I don't know if it's actually a good cp, but it's probably the least known stage everywhere where it's legal
Castle Siege is a good CP too imo. The 1rst transformation is pretty good, and in the second one you can refresh your movements at any time uairing the statues

I think the shape of the stage in terms of how much it helps GW in his approaches and avoid getting camped is a lot more important than blastzones' sizes. FD isn't a good starter for GW due to the big wide size (meaning you give your opponents more room for camping and running away) and lack of platforms; Yoshi Island and Halberd have that long platform in the middle which hurts more than help imo. GW overall wants stages not very wide, with small platforms all around (like lylat and battlefield), and aerial-based stages or stages which may disrupt ground "combos" like IC's infinite and Diddy's nanners for example. Delfino should be your CPick given you have Brinstar and RC banned. If they ban Delfino, pick between Frigate, Battlefield, Lylat or Castle Siege.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Vs MK: Ban BF/brinstar, CP FD
Vs Snake: Ban FD/Halberd, CP BF, or any stage you feel the most comfortable running away
Vs Diddy: Ban FD, CP Delfino/Frigate
Vs Marth: Ban Lylat/FD/BF... Honestly he dislikes most of the same stages, and is good on the same neutrals as you, so it's a hard one :/. I say CP Delfino or you could try BF if you feel your platform control is better.
Vs ICs.... Doesn't really matter. You can lose game 1, win game 2 on frigate or delfino or something like that, and ban FD, but then he picks SV and you can't really win. Just switch to MK or something lol.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I dont know ajyone with the patience to play against gdubs that long.

I dunno though chozo, im just never giving up... though sometimes I want to. I never get to play people that push me to my limit outside of tourney.

:phone:

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
thx @ Rajams & Alphicans
this helps me alot althoguh i don't really bother bout ic's cause no one in germany really plays them so yeah
ps2 is legal and i tried it out sometimes
it's really good when those winds are blowing you can annoy your opponent with uair
but against chars with projectile this transformation is horrible
i think i will stick to delfino and fo of course
again thx to everyone x3

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Vs MK: Ban BF/brinstar, CP FD
Vs Snake: Ban FD/Halberd, CP BF, or any stage you feel the most comfortable running away
Vs Diddy: Ban FD, CP Delfino/Frigate
Vs Marth: Ban Lylat/FD/BF... Honestly he dislikes most of the same stages, and is good on the same neutrals as you, so it's a hard one :/. I say CP Delfino or you could try BF if you feel your platform control is better.
Vs ICs.... Doesn't really matter. You can lose game 1, win game 2 on frigate or delfino or something like that, and ban FD, but then he picks SV and you can't really win. Just switch to MK or something lol.
What if MK bans FD?

I use G&W to fight MKs (and a few other problem characters)

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
GW doesn't really have a problem on many stages at all, Brinstar is really the only problem stage because of how well MK can shark there. I'd take him to smashville in that case. But if you've got a stage you do really awesome on personally that isn't Halberd or Delfino I'd try that. I've learned that Smashville while also the best stage in the game period, is my awesome stage, and i'm really good at working the platform. So if you've got something like that try it. MK and GW are both character that do awesome on basically ANY stage, even our less than good ones (like Yoshi's Island) In this matchup stages matter way less than most.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Take MK to your most comfortable stage. I mean hes going to be better on every stage... lol

Fyi: If you go to FD prepare to get camped pretty hard.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
If you play any good MK, prepare to get camped pretty hard on every stage.

What stage you take MK to can actually really depend on the skill level of the MK/knowledge of the match-up. Generally I'll try to shoot for SV/FD for MK just to play it safe, but if you're confident they are bad at the match-up, go for battlefield/lylat/ps1 for a stage that GaW can really apply aerial pressure on.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
There are other Mks that are amazing at the mu who don't camp. Although, camping is the way to go for them. I think BF or SV is our best option for MK. If you're homeland is RC, go there.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Seriously? What is it about this stage? That seems terrible as it would force you to approach MK in a way that he can tilt ****, but i hate that stage anyway, it might just not be my stage.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So I kinda have to pick G&W as a secondary for some stages since he is pretty versatile on them.
So how exactly do I use G&W?
What are the approaches and defensive options really? His options are confusing.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lzr, you just gotta make **** happen. There is no obvious way of approaching, which is likely why people think he's a bad character, and is why we are very bad vs ICs.

But legit, bair and nair approaches can work, or sh to air dodge behind to something works sometimes aswell. It's hard to explain how I approach with GaW :/.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Aah. That explains a lot. I had no idea G&W didn't have a great approach. I'll try to work around the opponent some other way then.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
So I kinda have to pick G&W as a secondary for some stages since he is pretty versatile on them.
So how exactly do I use G&W?
What are the approaches and defensive options really? His options are confusing.
They're confusing because they suck but our character doesn't...as much.

GW works like: **** shouldnt work, but does, and when it does it makes a difference.

After using GW enough you'll figure it out, there's no way to teach someone how to use GW it's just a list of things not to do.

Don't die, and spam up-b.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I remember the days when I could just spam bair and dsmash to own. Everything is so much harder when you getter.
I desperately need a decent main soon.
G&W really has some crazy trouble with disjointed stuff. Can't do anything.

Also,how do I control when upB causes them to fly and when it just hits them?
Judgement ftw, right?
Is bacon (whatever it is) useful at all?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I remember the days when I could just spam bair and dsmash to own. Everything is so much harder when you getter.
I desperately need a decent main soon.
G&W really has some crazy trouble with disjointed stuff. Can't do anything.

Also,how do I control when upB causes them to fly and when it just hits them?
Judgement ftw, right?
Is bacon (whatever it is) useful at all?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Eh, MK is winnable. But you need to have a mad good D-throw game to win that matchup consistently imo. G&W can contend with MK in the neutral position sorta well since he can tank in that matchup. You just need to maximize that grab reward to get the edge.

Vs Marth can be pretty fun until they learn to walk and D-tilt effectively. Even then though it can be managed. Until he edgetraps you.

Lucario is a pretty good matchup for G&W, if boring though. Mainly because your D-throw and edgeguard game are awesome.

Also Bacon is pretty awesome for edgetrapping and can be very hard for DK and DDD to deal with.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Moar questions.

1. Bair is still good, right? I know it's not crazy anymore, but it doesn't mean it sucks?
2. Judgement, should I use it every once in a while to test my luck or is it too risky?
3. Should my preferred approach and spacing be done with FHfair?
4. Are SideB and Usmash guaranteed from a downthrow if read correctly?
5. Key is a safe tool for landing? What mixups do I have?

And that is all I want :)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Bair is still very good

Judgement should be used when it's safe especially when they are at low %. Like if you know you can do sideB and get away with it very easily there is no reason not to try to get a free almost OHKO

Not necessarily. FHfair is really good, especially vs marth, but bair is still great with spacing, and uair is great for vertical spacing. Also smashes can buy you thinking time, because people don't like to mess with GaW's beast smash attacks.

On a lot of characters, but I don't think on all of them. Fair is guaranteed on all of them.

Key is not safe to land with. It's good, but by no means are you safe every time (this is no 2008 lol). For landing I'd try fast and slowfall dair, b-reversals and just plain airdodging. UpBing out of the way of the opponent is very useful too.

BioDG

Smash Ace
So I can ask a simple question, eh? Okay.

I'm teaming with a gaw for tourney for the first time, so where can I find the most comprehensive guide to Team bucket strategies? I'm digging around now, so I might have found it already by the time you read this, but just in case I miss it, it would be appreciated.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Alphy just made a Pika+Gdubs one actually

We have a list of good buckets somewhere too...

Lucario Gdubs is a SICK team, So is Gdubs+ZSS.

Top Bottom