• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. *Take 2*

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I'm not sure if somebody asked this already, or I'm just stupid.

I feel stupid, but here it goes.

How do you DI?

Seriously, I'm tired of hearing "Oh, you just didn't DI correctly."

Well, I would try to if I knew how the f*ck to do that.

And what is DIing exactly? I know, directional influence, but what EXACTLY in description so a stupid kid could understand?

M.K

Level 55
I'm not sure if somebody asked this already, or I'm just stupid.

I feel stupid, but here it goes.

How do you DI?

Seriously, I'm tired of hearing "Oh, you just didn't DI correctly."

Well, I would try to if I knew how the f*ck to do that.

And what is DIing exactly? I know, directional influence, but what EXACTLY in description so a stupid kid could understand?
:chuckle:

For the stupid kid:

Directional Influence (DI) is how you affect your trajectory in the air by using the control stick.

If you were to be smashed left at a lethal damage, you would want to SLAM the control stick UP or DOWN, which moves your character's flight path slightly higher or lower than if you didn't touch the control stick at all. This slight movement could save you from death, because you get to a destination (in this case, the death line) faster in a straight line than in a curved line, and by altering the "straight line" you are in, you can avoid death.

I really hope that helped :laugh:

EDIT: by the way, NEVER feel stupid here. I know alot of people might be condescending here, but most of them are uptight people anyways. Have fun here!

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
:chuckle:

For the stupid kid:

Directional Influence (DI) is how you affect your trajectory in the air by using the control stick.

If you were to be smashed left at a lethal damage, you would want to SLAM the control stick UP or DOWN, which moves your character's flight path slightly higher or lower than if you didn't touch the control stick at all. This slight movement could save you from death, because you get to a destination (in this case, the death line) faster in a straight line than in a curved line, and by altering the "straight line" you are in, you can avoid death.

I really hope that helped :laugh:

EDIT: by the way, NEVER feel stupid here. I know alot of people might be condescending here, but most of them are uptight people anyways. Have fun here!
Thanks a TON. :D

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Is edgecancelling in Brawl?

How does autocancel work? is there a vid of it on youtube that explains it?
I dunno about Edgecancelling but Autocancelling is in a great Youtube video here.

I think the way it works is that the Sora devs never thought to make it so that a move performed immidiately out of the jump has no landing lag. Something they didn't test for. It isn't nearly as easy to explain as SHFFLing or Wavedashing.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Who are the Patriots?
The Patriots, also known as the La-li-lu-le-lo, are a secret group in the Metal Gear franchise that control the United States of America. The group is led by an inner circle consisting of twelve people known as the The Wisemen's Committee. Through covert and deceptive agents such as Revolver Ocelot, The Patriots control and manipulate the characters and events of the Metal Gear Solid series.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Does anybody have tips on beating 15-minute brawl?
Use a character like Pit, Jigglypuff, Meta Knight, or Kirby, and float under the stage from one edge to the other.

IIRC, as long as you survive, you're fine. Kill one bot just for safe measure and then do it.

Smash Ace
What is QAC?
Quick Attack Cancel. It's a Pikachu-specific technique.

Angle up-b into the ground, and it stalls in the air for just a moment. You can do anything that you normally could in the air (jump, another up-b, aerials, etc). You're so close to the ground that you fall before you can get most aerials off, though (I think that only the down-air works unless you double jump first).

Here's the main thread about it.

Nestec

Smash Ace
What does it mean for someone or a move to be "telegraphed"?

I've heard the word used to describe one of Ivysaur's moves, and I've heard it to describe an actual character rather than one of their moves. o_O

regorris

Smash Apprentice
The term telegraphing your moves come boxing. It is having a signal before doing a certain attack. IE: a boxer who always frowns a certain way before doing a right cross (a very slow punch). His enemy learns to read that signal, and performs a quick punch--like a jab--in order to stop the attack.

This applies in smash, since any move of any strength can cause the clash or tink animation to occur. IE: Link's arrow or boomerang can cause a smash attack to stop.

So, if Ivysaur is about to perform a certain attack, and you have a faster character like falco, you should be able to see the attack coming, and counter it long before the attack goes off.

edit:
Sidenote: Ganny's Volcano leg--aka utilt, up-tilt, up strong-- is a classically telegraphed move, he puts his leg up into the air long before the blow. This move is easy to counter because Ganny telegraphs this move.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Ah, I see. Thanks.
I guess it sorta makes sense when you think about it. "Telegraphed".

regorris

Smash Apprentice
What are DIs and Buffers, and how are they done?
For DI's, they are covered many places on this thread. At the most basic level it is moving your control stick while you are in the air to effect your movement. You can do this even when you are in your 'hitstun' animation (like when Link is still looking like a lawndart), and you can do it afterwards.

You have a 1/5th of a second buffer which you can input moves onto. So, if you do a laggy attack, or you are stunned, or something like that, you can enter your next move, and it will fire off at the earliest possible moment.

There are copious threads about this--use the search function--, and I think that the smash wiki covers it pretty well--google it if you don't know the URL.

<old fart>
Also, since this is only your 6th post, I highly HIGHLY recommend reading the entire thread that you're posting to, especially if the thread is only 7 pages long.
</old fart>

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Alright, so after a bit of searching I can find no answers but the terrible horrible "Database error" screen. So I'll make with the asky-asky and say: "What is Power Shielding?"

???

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so after a bit of searching I can find no answers but the terrible horrible "Database error" screen. So I'll make with the asky-asky and say: "What is Power Shielding?"

???

im pretty sure thats when you shield the same time you are attacked. and the shield kind of flickers to show that you power shielded. i dont know what the significance is though.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Shielding takes away shield power (reducing the bubble) when you get hit.

Powershielding is the tech that, as soon as an attack hits you, you hit the shield button and it instantly deflects it with no lag to your character. Powershielding some projectiles shuts them off or erases them (Boomerangs, Gyros, etc) and doing it to attacks gives you practically a free counter attack.

In Melee it was impossible since the trigger had sensitivity but it's easier in Brawl since the sensitivity no longer matters.

Cojiro

Smash Journeyman
Is it true that getting a headshot with FLUDD is far more effective at moving characters? If yes, does this work with Squirtle?

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
for the last 2 days or so ive been seaarching these boards for a thread i saw about the "metal gear solid essential collection" i actually have a question that goes in there but cant find it can someon give me a link please. if not ill ask it here later.

meresilence0

Smash Apprentice
I'll start in order here:
Cojiro: FLUDD headshots don't move the character farther. Squirtle can do the FLUDD thing, however, less powerfully.
MWTS: MGS Essential collection is MGS 1,2 and 3 packaged together in a shiny box. It's a PS3 game.
Digimonkey: No. SuperDoodleMan has been rather inactive lately. Wrath of Giga Bowser 2 isn't coming out either. It's sad, yes, but I don't think there's much we can do about the situation.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
@meresilence: um...first off, its on ps2 as well cuz i have it, second off, its not just 1,2, and 3. 2 is substance and 3 is subsistance, thx anyway but that is not wat i asked. i just wanted to find the thread about it.

EDIT: i found the anser thx anyway guys....

Parallax Dragon

Smash Rookie
Why isn't Edit Parts C unlocking when I already have over 15 stages? (20 to be exact, 17 created by me, not transferred from friends or any external source).

Also... how do I no contest a current match with a wii classic controller... for some reason I can't make out the buttons required for it on the tv screen >_< !!!

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Alrighty, thanks DigiMonkey and MaraiGen for answering my last question. But time for a new one.

What exactly is z-dropping?

(I assume it means dropping an item with the z button - but either I've messed with my settings and I can't do it or it's not what I think it means)

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
Why isn't Edit Parts C unlocking when I already have over 15 stages? (20 to be exact, 17 created by me, not transferred from friends or any external source).

Also... how do I no contest a current match with a wii classic controller... for some reason I can't make out the buttons required for it on the tv screen >_< !!!
did you try turning it off and turning it back on?
that happened to me when the records wernt changing after a few matches.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I can answer this at least, seeing as I had the exact same problem. To do a "no contest" with the Classic Controller press: L, R, A, and +, all together. Took quite some experimenting to figure that out.

You assume correctly. Z should be set to Grab for it to work.
Yay for experimenting! Thanks for the answer, but I found the thing I was doing wrong was floating (as Peach) while jamming the z button over and over. Apparently she can't z-drop while floating - instead I need to be actively jumping and falling. Thanks though!:laugh:

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
is there an exact definition of a clone somewhere?
I was wondering wether Dr. Mario (Melee) would still be a clone compared to Brawl Mario.

Top Bottom