• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. *Take 2*

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
There's a region lock on the Japanese version of Brawl that only allows it to be played on Japanese Wiis. I'm wondering if anybody converted it so it can be played on the American Wii. If so please point me in the right direction to obtaining one of these. Thanks :)
ahh yeah i dont know that. But wait fo terios he probably knows.

AbsoluteZero255

Smash Journeyman
I shall never forget MK's slash in japanese version. So many Japanese MK's on Youtube.

Should I A-stick, B-stick, or normal?

A-stick because of that nair thing

Bstick because of RAR

NOrmal because of infinite dimensional cape (I third MK)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
My friend Ammeren is one of the best MK's in Australia, and he just uses the normal configuration, he even leaves tap jump on. So I'd go with that.

Also, in regards to playing *** Brawl on an American Wii, it is possible with the use of a device called 'Freeloader'. Freeloader comes in the form of a disc, which you load onto your Wii, and (I'm assuming) you select the game you wish to play from a list, after which you put in the game you've selected and there you go: Japanese Brawl in an American Wii.

The problem with this is that the latest Wii update will kill the Freeloader device. SO, you're going to have to format your wii in order to use it.

There is also modding your wii as well, but I have certain reservations about breaking open my wii and unplugging about 50 cables.

xenogias

Smash Rookie
Hey, I tried to make some custom settings to my controller and it works out fine in the test mode. But when I go to training mode none of the buttons I set up work. Can someone walk me through the steps so I can play with my custom settings? Thanks.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
^Uhh, the only thing I can think of is making sure you use the name in training that you set the controls for, other than that it should work. Hope this helps.:)

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Go down to where your character is on the Select screen, click where it says.... Player 1? A list of names should pop up. Just choose the one with the config you want.

xenogias

Smash Rookie
Yea, I found it.. It was under the pencil thingy. It's been forever since I played melee and I just got brawl haha.

Emuburger

Smash Rookie
How do you jump-escape from a grab? Just press jump just before you escape?
Also, where do you post your FC?

LilWeegi

Smash Cadet
what does SMair mean? edit: i have a basic grasp of the slang around here can any one tell me what's wrong if any

Uair-up air (up c-stick) in air
Fair- Forward air (side c-stick) in air
Dair- Down air (down c-stick) in air
Nair- Nuetral air (a) in the air

life 2 attend finish later

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
I do know that we're not supposed to ask questions like

"What is edgeguarding"

Or some other technical thing, but smashwiki didn't help me at all with this.
Whoever is patient and good at explaining, help me out.

What exactly is a hitbox?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
A hit box is the part of an attack that actually damages someone. A hit box is only effective if it collides with someones hurtbox. Bodies in general make up hurt boxes. While attacks make up hit boxes. Disjointed hitboxes are ones that are not connected to the characters hurtbox. i.e. Marth's sword. So if you and Marth hit each other at the same time his hitbox can hit your hurtbox and he can avoid having his hurtbox struck by your hitbox at the same time. So an attack that should hurt both of you will hit only him instead. This was extremely important in Melee Shiek play.

As she was a glitch made up of disjointed hitboxes and needles. XD

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
A hit box is the part of an attack that actually damages someone. A hit box is only effective if it collides with someones hurtbox. Bodies in general make up hurt boxes. While attacks make up hit boxes. Disjointed hitboxes are ones that are not connected to the characters hurtbox. i.e. Marth's sword. So if you and Marth hit each other at the same time his hitbox can hit your hurtbox and he can avoid having his hurtbox struck by your hitbox at the same time. So an attack that should hurt both of you will hit only him instead. This was extremely important in Melee Shiek play.

As she was a glitch made up of disjointed hitboxes and needles. XD
OOOOOOOHHHH

Wow that helps a bunch.
So JUST that I get it...

Hurtboxes are places where people take damage...
And hitboxes are the places that characters damage other characters with? i.e. Mario's fist?
And certain Hitboxes aren't Hurtboxes, like swords and other weapons?
I gotcha.

Thanks for the help!

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
I do know that we're not supposed to ask questions like

"What is edgeguarding"

Or some other technical thing, but smashwiki didn't help me at all with this.
Whoever is patient and good at explaining, help me out.

What exactly is a hitbox?
http://ssbm.detstar.com/debug/dblevel/index.html

About half way down you see link. The yellow represents things that can be hurt (I think). There isn't a hit box picture, but little red boxes will appear when you attack. You can see the boxes with an Action Replay code.

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
Sort of a simple question. Im trying to find people around my area to play brawl with. So can anyone link to me the place where it lists people and places to have regular matches? Ty.

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but then what? I already looked there. Do i just post a thread asking for people around my area?

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Does tripping time vary by characters? And is it possible to reduce tripping time in any way?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yeah but then what? I already looked there. Do i just post a thread asking for people around my area?
Yeah, I suggest searching in your regional thread. I did some light scavanging for Massachusetts and found:
The New New Massachusetts Player Finder

if not, there's always the global wi-fi Friend Finder.

But, you should search yourself personally for some more stuff.

Does tripping time vary by characters? And is it possible to reduce tripping time in any way?
You can't reduce tripping (aside from jumping around and the like) and it is character specific. Here's a more in-depth source.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
OOOOOOOHHHH

Wow that helps a bunch.
So JUST that I get it...

Hurtboxes are places where people take damage...
And hitboxes are the places that characters damage other characters with? i.e. Mario's fist?
And certain Hitboxes aren't Hurtboxes, like swords and other weapons?
I gotcha.

Thanks for the help!
Yeah, exactly.

@Krayn: Yeah, if you can't find any threads specific to your area, you should make a new one asking for people in your area. At worst, a mod will lock it and direct you towards a thread for your area.

Emuburger

Smash Rookie
On the friend finder, how do you get your FC, location, random stuff like "I'm bored, let's play" underneath your name? I already set those things on my account, but they don't show up on the friend finder, and I don't know where to type the random stuff.

Also, does anyone have an answer to my last question (how to jump-escape from a grab)?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
There's a little chat box at the bottom. Click on it and enter your info. Then click update.

To jump escape you hit jump while in a grab as your means of breaking it. However if you are in hitstun from a grab jab you won't jump out.

Justaway

Smash Apprentice
would smash be boring or less hardcore if there were no glitches or bugs that we could take advantage of in combat? and not just brawl, melee and 64 too.
I just want to hear your opinion

blayde_axel

Smash Master
would smash be boring or less hardcore if there were no glitches or bugs that we could take advantage of in combat? and not just brawl, melee and 64 too.
I just want to hear your opinion
To me, what made Melee great was its "lightning-fast" speed. Even without its L-cancelling, its wavedashing, and its SHFFL's, it's still an incredibly fun game. Then again, if you want to consider the above GLITCHES, then I still answered your question.

Now, Brawl, on the other hand. I, personally, haven't seen any glitches that were actually useful, so I couldn't really answer.

64? Hell, yeah, that game's fun no matter what!

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
This is completely irrelevant on so many levels, but if you say Game & Watches out loud, as in more than one Mr. Game & Watch, it sounds like "gay man watches." LOL.

Top Bottom