• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

SSS

Smash Ace
No I just think the question is how did he sweetspot when it was at that point in the arc.

Fsmash tips the whole way around. No matter what time the tip hits, it'll sweetspot, since the sweetspot is based on location, not on frames.

It's like how sometimes when I spike I hit them with the upswing of the dair and it still sends them straight down even though logically it should send them backwards.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I mean what did Poke say in English, I tried pressing control stick left -> neutral -> left -> cstick right and I can't do what Ramin did.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Dash input -> Dash Dance Input + Fsmash input.
Make sure the analog stick resets to neutral between the inputs.

I mean what did Poke say in English, I tried pressing control stick left -> neutral -> left -> cstick right and I can't do what Ramin did.

It's a dash input both times.
It's like how Mr.R/ Leon Fox trot with Marth, but with an Fsmash input instead.

You literally input dash twice and add an fsmash.

Or dash once and then dash dance to change the direction.

C.J.

Smash Master
I hate people for making me sign in

Can you foxtrot?
Good

Now foxtrot

Next, when you would make a foxtrot input, change the foxtrot to a stutterstep fsmash.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey Marth Boards, probably my first time posting here but I suddenly had a question to myself about Marth's counter. Basically I'm comparing Marth and Ike counter to each other and I wanted to know if Marth's counter was any different. Ike's counter damage and knock-back vary depending on the strength of the attack along with the formula being unknown. I'll use a video for Ike's counter as reference for my point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XicuZpXYwI8 At :18 seconds the Counter launches G&W to Death because Judgement 9 is so powerful. SO:
  • Does anyone know Marth's Counter data on damage and knock-back or are Marth's / Ike's counters the same?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Not actually that's not true. Marth's Counter deals 1.1 more damage than the move he Countered and the minimum damage it can deal being 8% damage if fresh. Ike's deals 1.2 more damage and a minimum of 10% if fresh.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Buffering = inputting a move before the previous one ends. Brawl has a 10 frame buffer window; any input that you make in that time will be executed instantly after the first input you did is over.

So if you wanted to buffer a fair, do a move then input fair. Ex: Jump and then fair. You might be doing it already lol. I don't really know if it's something that you really need to practice? I think learning when to fair or not to fair is more important.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Got a new question(s) that I've pondered for slightly playing Marth for a long time.

How eggsactly does Marth's DB at the ledge end perform a SH effect without inputting jump? and is there any frame difference between this ledge-jump DB compared to a inputted SH+DB?

tekkie

Smash Master
does reverse stutter-step fsmash always tipper Wario on air release?

do any other options? or is it just timing/spacing?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Reverse shutter step always either tippers or misses. You can also tipper with retreat shutter step normal tipper Fsmash, although that is usually harder and when you do that then Fsmash can sourspot.

tekkie

Smash Master
so, if i have this straight:

fsmash towards wario -> either sweetspot or miss

fsmash away from wario -> harder, but can sourspot instead of just missing

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
You can't reverse Fsmash tipper if you SS away. Either way I do recommend the SS forward reverse Fsmash tipper because it's easier, which is the one almost all top Marths will use. You don't want to sourspot Fsmash and even sourspot can still miss if you time it the SS backwards Fsmash wrong IIRC.

tekkie

Smash Master
You can't reverse Fsmash tipper if you SS away. Either way I do recommend the SS forward reverse Fsmash tipper because it's easier, which is the one almost all top Marths will use. You don't want to sourspot Fsmash and even sourspot can still miss if you time it the SS backwards Fsmash wrong IIRC.
ah, sounds good :) thanks!

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Hey Marth board. Is there a thread for all of the possible low percent throw guaranteed followups that Marth has? Like, our boards has a thread for Pika's chaingrabs.

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
How do I use Marth's neutral B move as a recovery? I never get the boost from it that I see in youtube videos, and if I remember correctly it put me in a helpless state? I dont think I've seen that either. Thanks.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Honestly, you'll rarely actually be using the neutral B for recovery, simply because it's only a minor horizontal boost, and if you're anywhere near the stage you'll be punished for using it.

That said, if you're sent far away, literally all you need to do is tap the B button while moving towards the stage, and it'll push you forwards a little faster. Alternatively, you could charge it completely (anything less gives the same result as uncharged) for a much stronger push forwards, but you'd need to be very high while doing this (and a lot of characters can punish you pretty easily due to how telegraphed it is.)

But yeah, neutral B isn't something you'll use to recover terribly much, as typically your side-B and double jump suffice. Just remember that it's there if you need it.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I like using neutral b sometimes after a momentum cancel offstage with fast fall when I want to CANCEL MY FAST FALL (getting back to normal falling speed from a fast fall) and still want to keep fast horizontal aerial speed at the same time. Fully charged neutral b for recovering is extremely situational. Charging it leaves you extremely vulnerable to getting hit (it has a lot of ending lag too, not just start-up, and he has huge blind spots on his head and feet during neutral b) and almost always whenever you used it you would get as far without using that, while keeping all of the options Marth has offstage. I think there is only uncharged and fully charged momentum (any charge that isn't fully charged will only send you forward slightly). I'm not 100% sure but b-reverse-reverse neutral b may actually increase horizontal momentum.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Shaya broseph.
I need your help on the ken combo.
It feels hard in brawl.
How do I do it ?

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any advice on how to play when you have little/no stage control? Or how to regain stage control? I get destroyed when I'm near the ledge. It's obviously a disadvantaged situation but I think I can still do better than I am currently.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It's about knowing where you can go, and how to be efficient with your movements. Good timing + a buffered input gets you through a lot of crap.
If you're being pushed towards the ledge, one must realise how good Marth is on the ledge when two conditions we hate are not present:
Below 100%
No Dolphin Slash Lag

If neither of these are present, you shouldn't be afraid of falling back to the ledge. Invincible aerials, landings and -3 on shields (or higher with Auto cancelled nair, but you shouldn't be invincible the entire time for that).

The M2K Rolls (dash -> roll) throw people off [so... dash away from your opponent but immediately back roll].

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So.... I get juggled by Diddy. Like, I can be controlling the entire match and then I get obliterated once Diddy gets any comfortable juggle position.

Any tips on how to land against him?

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
@Shaya: Hm, interesting. I always had the impression that it would be better to have at least some presence on the stage rather than going to the ledge but it does beat getting hit and then having to go to the ledge anyway. That sort of explains why Mikeneko often goes to the ledge under 100% when his opponent has invincibility frames. As for the M2K roll...I really don't see any Marth's using that. It seems like a good enough mixup to use sparingly if you see your opponent approach, but I can also see them just waiting it out and hitting you after you roll lol. Thank you for your input.

@kyokoro: I don't have much experience with the MU but if Diddy has a banana when you are trying to land, don't land with an aerial. Even if you space it he can still punish it with the banana throw. Be prepared to catch the banana instead. If he doesn't have any bananas out, I don't think his juggling is any better than most characters (I could be wrong) and you can just use your aerial mobility to move away and FF/fair/double jump/airdodge (general landing options) if necessary. The only thing I see is if there's a banana on the ground your options might be slightly more restricted, but you can still pick it up when landing on it. Here's CJ guide: http://www.smashboards.com/threads/diddy-tips-and-item-tricks.309846/

@GreenAce: I don't know what you mean by normals. But if you want a clip of Marth punishing MK, Mikeneko takes Otori's first stock here without taking any damage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLJP11CEy9s (Start at 4:45)

Icemanx5746

Smash Apprentice
I have a habit of using Up B OoS just a bit too much, how can I tell when Dolphin Slash is a better option than just simply grabbing?

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
At higher %s when you can either get them offstage to edgeguard or kill someone with it. Or when grabbing wouldn't work (ex: if they land behind you can reverse DS).

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Dolphin Slash also has A LOT more horizontal range than shield grab too. It's like DDD's shield grab range or longer. I'm not 100% sure, but angling DS may affect the horizontal range it has (like angling forward to hit with max range). People tend to fail their DI when you use it OoS really fast or when you escape with it at the last frame, making them either die pretty early (around 100% for most characters?) or get sent offstage in a bad position.
And I think against Diddy using Fair or Nair just before landing is safe on block (it's like -4 on block when hitting a shield and landing the frame afterwards or something). You can land and shield cause Diddy can't shield grab (only monkey flip, which is slow OoS) with a Banana on his hand (banana glide toss is like frame frame 8 or 9, 6 or something when down thrown). Though space that at least a bit so that he can't Down glide toss OoS you, which beats shield I think. The only reason people say Diddy's OoS game with a banana is good is because it hits so long on frame 8 or 9, but for Marth, the difference between facing a frame 6 OoS move and a frame 8 one makes quite a difference. It's not as easy when he has a banana + a banana in front of him on the ground though, so don't let him get control of 2 bananas.

Top Bottom