• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
If you're doing quarter circle movements away the moment you think you're going to get DB'd, I would say you'd get out at least 50% of the time against 95% of Marths.

Using the second hit as upwards nullifies this a lot unless you're "already out" from the first hit - which is pretty hard.
Can you explain the last part please?

C.J.

Smash Master
DB can't be SDI'd because of reasons.

Hold away from Marth when DB starts and normal DI will get you out of it after the 3rd hit.

2nd hit of DB up sucks you back in instead of pushing you out so DI doesn't do much.

If you are close to Marth, holding up and into Marth will let you pop up behind/above Marth because he steps forward.

In the ditto, hold up/into Marth and mash DS to get out after the second hit.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
So I think I'm about to ask the scrubbiest question I've ever asked on Smashboards. Never bothered to find out exactly what all causes Marth to sometimes Up Bs through the stage/ledge without grabbing it or missing it at times as it never happens to me anymore... Till just recently when I've started branching my recovery methods slightly further/changing angles. Now it's happening again and I'm even getting stupid accidental DSLCs occasionally. So what are the causes of up-bing through/past the ledge?
Just asking this makes me feel sad lol.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It's a combination of landing on stage and snapping the ledge at the same time.
The ledge of stages being varied and also having bull **** aerial/ground combination properties.

Not fully tested, but that's the general hypothesis.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have a marth vs olimar matchup thread anywhere? I can't seem to find it, but the marth boards are so active I find that hard to believe.

If not, does anyone have a real quick crash-course of tips to help in that MU? I'm playing in a tournament tomorrow and I just found that two of my biggest competitors have olimars I should be prepared for.

Ereth

Murda Bidness
Do you guys have a marth vs olimar matchup thread anywhere? I can't seem to find it, but the marth boards are so active I find that hard to believe.

If not, does anyone have a real quick crash-course of tips to help in that MU? I'm playing in a tournament tomorrow and I just found that two of my biggest competitors have olimars I should be prepared for.
Try this thread
http://smashboards.com/threads/i-have-so-much-trouble-versus-a-campy-olimar.178863/#post-4792691

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
For Fsmash, no.
For TIPPERED Fsmash is another story. Another Marth may know better, but iirc, you have to stutter step a little to the front and Fsmash with the C-stick to the other side. The timing is pretty tight, but easy to master.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
At the beginning of the attack, and following her sword's motion, there is a hitbox at the back and above Marth's head.

SSS

Smash Ace

Osennecho

Smash Ace
So I presume it is just the CPU Wario being absurdly stupid and letting me chain retreating pivot grabs and pummels on him while I was practicing with Marth multiple times in a row and not a true CG barring trips? It is hilarious to do and good retreating pivot grab practice regardless though.

SSS

Smash Ace
So I presume it is just the CPU Wario being absurdly stupid and letting me chain retreating pivot grabs and pummels on him while I was practicing with Marth multiple times in a row and not a true CG barring trips? It is hilarious to do and good retreating pivot grab practice regardless though.
Why not just do normal grabs? Why pivot grabs?
You are talking about grab release, right?
Also, I f**king hate Wario so hard.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Why not just do normal grabs? Why pivot grabs?
You are talking about grab release, right?
Also, I f**king hate Wario so hard.
Different ranges of the grab. And yes. I am pummel->grab release->Retreating pivot grab towards the wario so i turn and regrab->pummel-> repeat. So far unless i've dropped it the CPU has only gotten out w/ a footstool and even when that happens I feel like I f'd up the timing. So essentially if I don't drop it once about 50% or w/e it can't mash enough be4 the first pummel to make it ground release or not pummel I can repeat this till the grab release is at kill %.

SSS

Smash Ace
Different ranges of the grab. And yes. I am pummel->grab release->Retreating pivot grab towards the wario so i turn and regrab->pummel-> repeat. So far unless i've dropped it the CPU has only gotten out w/ a footstool and even when that happens I feel like I f'd up the timing. So essentially if I don't drop it once about 50% or w/e it can't mash enough be4 the first pummel to make it ground release or not pummel I can repeat this till the grab release is at kill %.
Hmmm. I have heard that Wario is easy to grab release. I've also heard that Marth is good at grab release chains. . .I'm pretty sure he can infinite Ness and Lucas without too much difficulty. Find a friend to DI away and mash jump while you do it.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Hmmm. I have heard that Wario is easy to grab release. I've also heard that Marth is good at grab release chains. . .I'm pretty sure he can infinite Ness and Lucas without too much difficulty. Find a friend to DI away and mash jump while you do it.
I can try that tomorrow. Almost positive it doesn't actually CG though/is escapable and the CPU is just stupid. Ness is just a pummel->regrab across stage.

SSS

Smash Ace
I can try that tomorrow. Almost positive it doesn't actually CG though/is escapable and the CPU is just stupid. Ness is just a pummel->regrab across stage.
Hmmmmmm. Without being able to pivot grab, you would reach the end of the stage and couldn't get in much damage.

But you could also just air release into a spike. . .

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Hmmmmmm. Without being able to pivot grab, you would reach the end of the stage and couldn't get in much damage.
But you could also just air release into a spike. . .
IDK much about Marth's grab releases on ness/lucas so I can't say much on them sadly. Anyways we digressed from my original question about the most likely escapable CG I had found on wario...

Osennecho

Smash Ace
It doesn't work on Wario.
Best Damage giver is Usmash with 18%.
Reverse stutter step tipper fsmash should be barely better if fresh I think? but a lot harder to do. Opting for Usmash is probs the better option I guess? I figured the CG thing I mentioned was just CPUs being dumb. Can the Wario simply jump out, an attack, or does it need to be a footstool?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Wario can jump out to avoid the CG, the Cpus are just dumb.

Fsmash does give 1 more percent, but it's your kill option, so don't STALE it.

OliClutch117

Smash Apprentice
Seems simple enough.

I have heard that you should play a more grounded Marth rather then just jumping and doing pointless aerials, but when I watch vids I feel like Marth does more of the pointless aerials. So should I play a more grounded Marth?

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Seems simple enough.

I have heard that you should play a more grounded Marth rather then just jumping and doing pointless aerials, but when I watch vids I feel like Marth does more of the pointless aerials. So should I play a more grounded Marth?
1 jump is fine. Don't get greedy and use 2 unless you feel you are guaranteed to not get punished. A jumpless Marf is a dead Marf.

Top Bottom