• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Pandii

Smash Rookie
Anyone have tips on landing the forward smash tipper after grab releasing a wario?

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I was practicing my fox-trot moves and tried small pivoting, it's just meh. You can't reverse your attacks with the C-stick set to attacks (like <- Dash, -> Pivot, <- C-stick). I was hoping to be able to do a dash - true pivot - f/d tilt. However, I saw that you could true pivot out of a foxtrot and then turn the other way then use an attack, and it would go that way. <- Dash, -> Pivot, <- turn, <- Attack. Foxtrot to Dsmash anyone? Also, when my C-stick is set to attack sometimes Marth will jump when using the stick without me touching my jump button. Anybody know what's up like that?

HotWings

Smash Ace
Mr.Turtle, how many debbie cakes does it take to get to the vacuum cleaner center of a vacuum cleaner? Why, ive never made it without biting, ask Mr.Owl.

Mr.Owl how many debbie cakes does it take to get the the vacuum cleaner center of a vacuum cleaner? Lets find out, 1, 2, 3, 3.

Alright random moment there xD. Anyways i wanted to ask you all... what 2 characters are most like a gladiator? I was thinking about Marth and Link but link pulls out bombs and arrows and ****... ive never seen a gladiator do that >_<

So im thinking Marth and Ike but im not sure.

If you agree with marth and ike then my mains will then be..

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Marth
Ike

Dw, i used to main random ad then i decided to start actually maining certain characters. I started off with 2 then i wanted to add 2 more just because i can lol. Ike and Jigglypuff would more than likely just be for friendly battles and then pikachu and marth would be my tournament characters.

What do yal think?

Oh and debbie cakes+vacuum cleaners... WTF xD

C.J.

Smash Master
You have to full hop the nair iirc and you have to jump farther back than you would for fair. Also, GR to fair/DB/dash attack/DS for the kill are generally better and easier.

Falco can CG marth 3 times at 0% and get a follow up but it has to be a boost grab, near frame perfect in order not to be able to DS out of it.

For fsmashing wario out of a GR, wait a little, stutter step forward, fsmash. If you time it right it should hit above your head. You still need to time it, but, it's something.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I can do the other Grs fine however tipper nair is the strongest of all of those especially if i have used DS to punish mk and cut through nado

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah its really hard and awkward...

When I -used- to be able to do it, it was:
Dash forward (as normal), HOLD JUMP, let go of control stick, press a, hold forward again, all whilst holding jump.

!_!
Its hard and awkward. easier than dair though.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I will master it by the end of today.

due to the amount of time this looks like i am jumping does this mean you can do it just about at any position like fair?

daballa100

Smash Cadet
hey do any of yall kno any good alternates to a marth main?
I want an alt that can cover some of marth's bad or even matchups
i know some but i want a nice list to choose from

thx in advance :)

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
metaknight is obvious

falco(techinically the best) beats like ally of marths lower tier match ups, even MK and beats D3
ZSS
pika
and if you need to CP MK snake

oh and ice climbers aren't bad either but it will take time to get good with those

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Compared to Fsmash & Utilt, how good of a kill-move of Dsmash? Should I even use it?
Dsmash is an advanced move. It's a very good punisher, has the largest tipper hitbox, and is a decent kill move. See where you can apply it knowing that now :)

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
Dsmash is an advanced move. It's a very good punisher, has the largest tipper hitbox, and is a decent kill move. See where you can apply it knowing that now :)
Thank you :)
It seems pretty hard to grasp, I think I'll just stick to the usual haha.

Foxtrot to True Pivot to turnaround Dsmash anyone?
I've never seen this, but it sounds pretty crazy haha.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
How do I get rid of a nasty habit of Dolphin Slashing OoS ALL the time? >_< I lost a set today because I was getting baited way too easy. Do I just need to get better reads or something?

Also, I'm having trouble with the ZSS match-up and the Diddy match-up. Banana control is just too much for me to keep any kind of pressure on him >_< Nothing I can really point to in the ZSS match-up as an extreme problem, just not knowing what to do much at all. Hopefully I can get some vids from the tourney in two weeks so you can see what I have trouble with.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
ZSS outranges us in the air but has no hope of outdisjointing us, EVER. Except with downsmash and side b of course.

Down smash is outranged by shield breaker, making things quite -workable- in actually punishing her for that.

Ftilt on the ground wrecks her aerial pressure (as her bair isnt arced, obviously, she cant vary vertical placement much at all in pressuring you, Ftilt hitting way above our head as it is and outranging/disjointing her bair is quite good!)

If you counter her down b, she will have the counter jacket lag thing.
You can gimp her recovery. Marth is probably second best at the game in doing so.

Also about the outdisjointing thing. In other words, as long as you are OUTSIDE of zss bair range, any time she whiffs your sword will punish (if you are in the air of course). Nair is good in this regard.
So is Bair because of how it completely destroys her horizontally (bair at max horizontal isnt anywhere near Marths hurtbox horizontally).

You can do things like ff fair or nair to hit her whilst she is doing side bs and down smashes but the vertical spacing is tight so its often not worth it.

Be patient and dont run into her ****.
One Powershield of side b = dancing blade.

You can shield pressure her really easily like you would against Snake (aiming for her head), due to her not having any good OOS options [especially whilst facing you].

If ZSS hits your shield with a retreating bair, dont try to punish it oos with a rising fair, that **** baits you all day.

Diddy? get better with items and take what I said about ZSS with her aerials and apply it to diddys fair.

Reizilla

Thanks, Shaya. I'll try that stuff out next time I play him. Any tips on getting through her ledge traps?

Hmm, I guess you should probably see what it is that gets me against Diddy. But I'll definitely keep working on that and keep it in mind.

Just a thought that came up: Is camping Diddy a viable strat with a decent lead?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yes.

Its best done on smashville too.
(camping against diddy)

When ZSS is doing the ledge option crap I just try to ledge drop counter. If it hits me and the counter whifs her she now has a counter jacket, meaning next time i hit her or her shield shes stuck in hit lag for a while!
Of course I ensure Im always invincible using marths instant ledge grab. If they decide to move away for side b length its even easier to get back on.
Thing to remember is that the downsmash has 20 frames of start up, as long as you time yourself well with invincibility its very doable to get on if they are just trying to do one over and over again (ledge drop ad on into shield).
Hell ZSS is open to a ledge jump ff fair during her dsmash if she isnt being smart about it.

Reizilla

Thanks a lot, Shaya. I'll try to implement as much of this as I can and hopefully I'll have some better games next time.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
speaking of stunt jacket whats teh best ways to use it?

I would think using something like DB 1 to some sort of follow up would be the best option but what do you guys think

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I dont believe so.

Making assumptions from how a normal counter works, when someone gets hit whilst in the stun jacket, they are given 15 frames of special hit lag.
(Its a type of hit lag that is somewhat of a PAUSE EVERYTHING GUYS FOR DRAMATIC EFFECT BEFORE MARTH DECIDES TO ATTACK).

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Its that sexiness when you get tippered or have knee'd and you have that half second of hitlag that makes you know your ****ed.

anyway thanks.

also does stunt jacket occur on any hit that counter doesn't hit or only on multi hit moves?

salsa~

Smash Cadet
Okay so what I do when I'm launched off stage by R.O.B. in this situation: I'll die if I don't momentum cancel.
If I momentum cancel it I'll get laser'd and die and if I dodge when launched to avoid his laser, I'll grew up the momentum and I'll die. diediediediedie what can I do?

Reizilla

DI better so that you go to the corner of the stage. I don't think ROB's laser should get you there unless he's in a pretty crazy position. In which case, there's just nothing you can do about it. That's like saying, how do I survive a kill move if I'm at kill percent? You don't. haha XD

Reizilla

hold a and walk forward while tapping diagnol back-up on the c-stick. if you tap to far to the back, you'll charge an fsmash, if you tap too far up, you'll start dashing.

completely useless technique though, other than for looking pretty.

Top Bottom