• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I don't think so, besides the countless online tournaments
I would have thought that Smash 64 tournaments in other countries might be held on the PC. That solution would allow for rock steady framerates and even more stages via ROM hacks. Also, it would open up many more controller combinations. Lastly, streams and YT videos of the events would be easier to capture in HD. Oh well, I guess in this case the original Nintendo 64 hardware is master race. ;)

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Why the **** would other countries play smash 64 on emulators over consoles

consoles aren't magically worse outside of the US

goddamn it grizz you're like a ****ing rock in a shoe that won't disappear

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Why the **** would other countries play smash 64 on emulators over consoles

consoles aren't magically worse outside of the US

goddamn it grizz you're like a ****ing rock in a shoe that won't disappear
Why are you always so angry?

Nintendo 64 consoles and copies of SSB64 are much harder to get at a reasonable price in other countries than they are here in the United States. That's why I suggested that players who live outside NTSC standards might opt for the ease of PC emulation to hold their Smash 64 tournaments. People all over the world have PC's and the Smash 64 ROM is free, right?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Scrub Samus main here looking for some wisdom

I've been told by various players in my region who are much better/knowledgeable than me that my character actually does relatively well against Kirby. I feel like the MU is terrible and realistically Samus should not be winning unless the Kirby player is much worse/really bad at the MU, but I've been told the MU isn't too bad for Samus (ie she loses, but not by much)

Can anyone bother explaining why? What are some of the things Samus has going for her in the MU? How am I supposed to approach a grounded Kirby that's facing the other direction (ie because utilt is a threat)?

Nicholas Scalzi

Smash Rookie

I've been told by various players in my region who are much better/knowledgeable than me that my character actually does relatively well against Kirby. I feel like the MU is terrible and realistically Samus should not be winning unless the Kirby player is much worse/really bad at the MU, but I've been told the MU isn't too bad for Samus (ie she loses, but not by much)

Can anyone bother explaining why? What are some of the things Samus has going for her in the MU? How am I supposed to approach a grounded Kirby that's facing the other direction (ie because utilt is a threat)?
Yeah its not a fun match up, but there are a few things on your favour.
The approach game is a patient one, but once she is on the offensive, you can trouble a teching kirby. I like to stay above and try and draw kirby into the air before fast falling. also B-air is good for edge guarding if you can't D-air by getting above them.

I've typically played all 12 characters, but I'm starting to get into comps and was going to work on 2-3 characters. Is it easier to spend a lot of solo time with each? or can I just keep playing all 3 at once and make comparable improvements?

Annex

Smash Ace
What are some of the things Samus has going for her in the MU?
The only two things Samus has that are actually good: her dair and bair

In the neutral kirby cannot beat bair except by attacking samus from above (so don't let that happen). Stay out of range of their nairs/fairs/bairs, wait for them to use one, and hit them with a bair. If the kirby is staying in the air, get above them and dair. Kirby has no defense for attacks from above when in the air. Pivot fsmash also does a lot of work if they're coming in with misplaced aerials.
If you get them offstage and know that they'll have to use their upb to get back, don't go out there. You have no reason to. Wait for them to use it and hit them with a dair, or nair if they're high percent and you don't trust your timing. If they're offstage but can get back without upb-ing, be careful and either stay above them or bair them back off just like you do in neutral

I have a question would you recommend to play fox in 64 or should I switch to someone else to be my main
Fox is a cool character that is hard to play, but very fun. It will also teach you exactly where and how you messed up, because often times a mistake with fox will result in you being dead. With kirby or pika you might not realize mistakes you're making because those characters are so forgiving of the player

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace

Just pick luigi, I heard from a very sexy man that the match up is 80-20, free win

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice

In addition to the above Kirby has a hard time comboing samus (only can get like 2 up tilts off wtf samus is broken). But while samus is very difficult to edge guard I think Kirby has an easier time with it than most other characters. Basically if you want to be competitively good with samus, you have a long road ahead of you.

The Star King

Smash Hero

If you platform camp Kirby can have a somewhat hard time dealing with that

If Kirby refuses to approach or controls the top plat himself you can try to sneak in some charging

https://youtu.be/XKrokxRmmM4?t=1432

Wait wait wait wait
Bair beats Kirby's utilt?
No.

Is your avatar from an old issue of The Smog? lol, definitely remember seeing that somewhere on Smogon, back from when I played I guess

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Current melee mods have tools that allow you to study the game better, such as your character flashing red during the lag of a missed lcancel.

Question to you modders, how hard would it be to get characters in this game to glow/change color while they're in hitstun/shieldstun? Maybe it's something that could get added to 19xx and toggled by item switch (none = normal, medium = characters glow, etc.)

tehz

Smash Apprentice
idk. To my knowledge, the only things that I can think of that change color are the shades for team mode, and hurtboxes/hitboxes. Which leads to more questions: are the team mode shades actually shading (either brightness or gray overlay) or are they just costumes? I don't think anyone's looked into this.

Madao has posted how to change the color of hurtboxes, but can that be updated in real time? Then, are hurtboxes good enough for training? Or do you want to train your reactions with the actual models?

Once you've found a way to change the color, then you have to tie that to the histun/sheildstun state. I'd figure that Madao has already posted how the game keeps track of that, so this part is easy.

Then, you have to figure out how to run your code to catch when the hitstun state changes. This probably wouldn't be too hard, but you'd have to search for it.

Finally, you'd want to toggle code somewhere in game (I'd probably use handicap, but hopefully jorgams will have posted info on the debug menu by then.)

-----
So, long story short, there'd be a lot to do.

Ness Lee

Smash Rookie
NNID
Helpimkidnapped1
Does anyone have data on priority in this game? Or is it just kinda something you have to get a feel for? I've unexpectedly had some dairs beaten by upairs and upsmashes so I wanted to do some research

Smelly Cat

Smash Journeyman
yo.
what's the fewest frames you can be in the shield animation for?
trying to figure out how much faster shield stopping is than using grab to cancel a run animation

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
This is kind of a strange question but, i just started playing 64 and I decided to play yoshi just like in melee but I have yet to get a adapter and N64 controller. So I set up my controls and the Z-button is set to the L-bbutton on my controller (not the click, but as if i was light shielding). and it was easy for me to parry. I not sure if I'm setting myself up to fall by practicing this way because I'm not sure how the Z-button on the N64 controller differs from the L-button on the gamecube controller. Thanks in advance.

Shears

Smash Master
This is kind of a strange question but, i just started playing 64 and I decided to play yoshi just like in melee but I have yet to get a adapter and N64 controller. So I set up my controls and the Z-button is set to the L-bbutton on my controller (not the click, but as if i was light shielding). and it was easy for me to parry. I not sure if I'm setting myself up to fall by practicing this way because I'm not sure how the Z-button on the N64 controller differs from the L-button on the gamecube controller. Thanks in advance.
What happens when you full press the L trigger?

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Why would you be setting yourself up to fail? GC controllers are legal for 64. Z button for 64 is kind of similar to the Z button in GC controller not like L or R on GC controller.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
On Ebay, why are North American copies of Super Smash Bros. so much more expensive than Japanese ones? Is the competitive scene not as big in Japan?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
On Ebay, why are North American copies of Super Smash Bros. so much more expensive than Japanese ones? Is the competitive scene not as big in Japan?
Found the same thing on Amazon. Maybe because they think people are too lazy to case mod their n64s to play Japanese games? Take out one part that isn't necessary to make the games work and you've made your console region free :)

Thinking of getting into competitive 64 and for now I only have the Wii vc version. My guess is it's not usable in tournaments because of no 64 ports and apparently there's some frame skips (source?) but is it ok for practice?

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Thinking of getting into competitive 64 and for now I only have the Wii vc version. My guess is it's not usable in tournaments because of no 64 ports and apparently there's some frame skips (source?) but is it ok for practice?

Me and my friends play the Virtual Console version of Smash 64 all the time. It's great for casuals but because it skips frames it can't be used for competitive play. We mostly play the VC version because my Wii is the backwards compatible model that lets us use GameCube controllers and we like those better than the N64 pads. Also, since the Wii has component output it looks much better on my TV.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Easiest and safest way to play Japanese versions of n64 games is with an everdrive
You can also use a Game Shark to play Japanese N64 games on your North American console.

In the upper left-hand corner of this picture I also have an adapter that does the same thing.

Top Bottom