• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Please don't make the mistake of thinking short hopping is releasing the c button during the jumping animation, which would make short hop easiest with Link. Short hop is holding c for 3 frames or less for every character.
That's funny. I was actually thinking about telling my friends to learn to short hop with Link because it's obviously easiest based on this info. Then I read the rest of your post. Thanks for the preemptive clarification.

Sangoku

Smash Master
is ness's djc aerial faster or slower than his sj aerial?
Not faster to come out if that's your question. You can't double jump while in the jumping animation, DJC or regular second jump. So you'll need that extra frame to double jump, plus some extra frames because if you dair right away, no hitbox will come out (Ness will be too low). So yeah, a raising dair would come out faster than a DJC dair.

That's funny. I was actually thinking about telling my friends to learn to short hop with Link because it's obviously easiest based on this info. Then I read the rest of your post. Thanks for the preemptive clarification.
Yeah, that's a common mistake.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Just a minor thing that's been bothering me for a long time. If you DJC with Yoshi or Ness, do you still need to Zcancel?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
yea dude, don't tell me you've been zcanceling them for your WHOLE LIFE?!?!?!?! JK I still zcancel them even though i know i don't have to, just habit.

Sangoku

Smash Master
That's what I just said, yes.

And I tend to z-cancel them by reflexe too, which is dumb because half of the time, the shield comes out because I suck.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No, I don't play Ness so I haven't had this problem. Just wondered how noobs who don't know how to zcancel can do those dairs so well.
No wonder they have trouble doing DJC fairs as they don't autocancel. Thanks a lot.

iamavalon

Smash Rookie
Sangoku, i just noticed that you didnt put pikachu on that list, but i would presume he would be at the 3 frame tier. is that correct?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Oh I forgot pika? Yeah it's 3 as well, as jimmyjoe pointed out.

And yeah, it's not rare that questions are raised multiple times. Thus the interest of having a big compilation-thread.

B Link

Smash Lord
It's not about using an aerial a certain time after jumping, but rather how long the jumping animation is. If you haven't found in the regular threads (threads in the index, especially my frame data thread), then there's none. I could do one pretty easily.

edit: haven't found any, so here we go.

3 frames tier
Fox, Kirby, Luigi, Mario, Samus, Ness

4 frames tier
Captain Falcon

5 frames tier
Yoshi

6 frames tier
Donkey Kong, Jigglypuff

7 frames tier
Link

Please don't make the mistake of thinking short hopping is releasing the c button during the jumping animation, which would make short hop easiest with Link. Short hop is holding c for 3 frames or less for every character.
This is pretty interesting. I probably was aware of this subconsciously but never knew the specific frame difference between chars.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Don't bother zcanceling ness's djc except bair and fair, it's just a waste. also LEARN FIROS METHOD OMG IT'S AMAZING! c:

Yoshi however, z-cancel everything.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I don't zcancel when I do Yoshi platform double jump lands on platforms, which I uair for (makes the timing less strict)

mixa

Banned via Warnings
^ all this time I thought you were timing the DJ really well.

and what the fuсk how did I not know about all those auto cancels... !!
not that it's gonna change a whole lot, I mean, I even cancel some tilts, but damn.

yetiNine0

Smash Rookie
Anyone have recommended settings for the n64 controller? Specifically the dead zone, threshold, and analog-stick range. Here's what i have but it doesn't feel quite right: http://imgur.com/RFKityK. Could just be me though. I'm using a May Flash adapter.
I'm trying to get better at short hopping and want to have the right settings first.

Thanks

yetiNine0

Smash Rookie
Sweet thanks. At first those settings didn't work but after some googling I found out I had to calibrate the controller in windows first. Now it works wonderfully.

Here are the steps to calibrating it in case anyone was wondering:
1} plug the this adapter to the pc via usb
2} plug n64 controller
3} go to control panel and then select game controllers
4} then select properties and highlight gamepad
5} then select the tab that does not say test, remember I said not, I for got what the other is called
6} now calaberate the analog stick. it will tell you what to do {simple stuff} after you click finish to finish the claiberation open project 64
7} now click the options tab and select settings.
8} change jabo to n-rage{ please note that all though jabo will work, I had problems with it, especially the buttons, so I recommend you use n-rage} n-rage everything works good for me.
9} after that, you can go to configure control plug-in and set all the buttons and the d-pad as well as the start and analog stick.
10} you are now finished the controller setup.
11} all thats left is for you to do what you normally do and select the game you want to play.
12} enjoy!!
-amazon reviewer

B Link

Smash Lord
Capture card recommendations anyone?

I want to be able to have my television gameplay on my laptop screen. I don't wanna have to record from a VCR tape/DVD if that's possible. Preferably it would have high fps and good quality. I have a widescreen LCD tv and a CRT-TV.

Froski

Boss of Bosses
I use a Newelectronx HD PVR.

It REALLY depends on the model. Some of them dont work with the n64 console for me. Had to watch a ****load of tutorials to get the b.astard to work

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Dead zone: 5
Range: 70
Threshold: 100
How does one find Threshold if you're using a Raphnet n64 controller to usb adapter? I might be looking in the wrong places because I've seen threshold mentioned and I don't have any options relating to that which I could find, but I can easily find by dead zone and range.

M!nt

Smash Champion
It's right next to deadzone in nrage idk about the other plugins though srry

your plugin might not have a slider for it, if not it's not that big of a deal if it works good.

M!nt

Smash Champion
It's plugin specific, not adapter specific. but, yeah it's more than likely preset in the plugin you're using.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I guess your question is legit since Captain Falcon has shorter jumps in the US version, so it's harder to have time to bair. It is however possible, I TASed it. I can upload it if you want.

edit: even in non-TAS I could get the jump after the bair.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man, I appreciate it. If you want to upload I'd be interested to watch the combo for US but it's not a big deal if you're not in the mood

Sangoku

Smash Master
Some aerial attacks last some time (generally neutral airs). During this there are two different hitboxes: one in the beginning of the attack, another in the second part. Since the latter is weaker than the former, we refer to it as a weak aerial.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
the term 'weak' can be used in a relative sense (for example, ness's f-air knocks the opponent back further than his b-air does)

alternatively, it can refer to a move's weaker hitboxes - try delaying mario's f-air slightly and compare the knockback to hitting them with the very beginning of the move

edit: wow i stayed on this page for half an hour? jrpgs are a scary thing

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
Competent foxes:

Anyone got tips on how to make fair -> fair combo? And fair -> usmash? Having trouble, not sure if it's because I'm using weak fairs when i'm supposed to be using strong fairs or what.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Competent foxes:

Anyone got tips on how to make fair -> fair combo? And fair -> usmash? Having trouble, not sure if it's because I'm using weak fairs when i'm supposed to be using strong fairs or what.
It depends on the character you're facing and percentage. After a while (at least with me), you just get a feel for how much knockback a character gets when you fair them at any percentage. So, fair->fair probably isn't a combo against any character at 0%, but it's probably a combo against most characters at 40-50%. I know you can fair-upsmash Pikachu from about 60% to 90% (maybe even a larger range).

Top Bottom