• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Jayr

Smash Cadet
Can someone tell me the grab frame data of the ssb64 characters? I could't find it anywhere.
Thanks.

Battlecow

Play to Win
How is DI overrated?

No one even does that ****, lol

I don't think anything that people seem to be actively trying to be bad at can be overrated

Battlecow

Play to Win
this is why any mention of DI outside of isai-level/sweden isn't really relevant at all.

and yet it comes up quite often in random discussions about how to best DI things like kirby u-tilts and falcon u-airs (which aren't really DI-able)
to the first point--falcon's fair? people miss that DI all the time, and it's the diff between 20% and death

to the second--both of those are DI-able. Saving yourself utilts against kirby matters; learning how to DI it is important. Likewise, DI'ing falcon's uair stuff is not only possible but critical in many situations.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Situational (like every other move)

if you're towards the outside of it and you're at 0 and you fall fast, outwards works because you can touch ground and techroll away faster than he can utilt again

for a lot of characters straight up will save you a Utilt or two, and on DL you can get that top platform with some chars and tech away and not eat a combo at all

only way to learn all the situations is to practice DI in match

random DI thing people don't do enough:

falcon's stuff (single hit fairs, nairs) out of fthrow can sometimes be DI'd up to get you to a platform. or up and away. so when he tries, like, single hit fair in falcon dittos like ballin likes to do, if you DI hard up and away you can land (not in a fall animation) on a DL sideplat and punish.

other cool thing: if a pika fairs you (and I'm starting to believe in fair being a good move again) DI out just far enough to get him to try to grab you because fair-grab kind of works on most people, but OH SNAP it's a frame trap and you punish first. It totally works

everyone knows this stuff but they don't TELL

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
i've been saved from a spike on multiple occasions cuz of my DI. also ruins my controller.
this is so true!

also getting out of falcons 0-to-death fthrow -> fair -> uair -> upb Combo against a pika/kirby off the stage is not that hard. most People just fail becaus they di not hard enough or the wrong way. i think People wanna Keep their Controllers in a good shape by not ****** the stick x)

The Star King

Smash Hero
this is why any mention of DI outside of isai-level/sweden isn't really relevant at all.

and yet it comes up quite often in random discussions about how to best DI things like kirby u-tilts and falcon u-airs (which aren't really DI-able)
wow

Australia, ladies and gentlemen

asianaussie

Smash Hero
nah, just my opinion, everyone else in australia has DI macros or is pete (or is even worse than me, wow)

i hope in a few years, everyone's DI will become isai-level and i become unable to mention link u-smash as a combo starter without being laughed at

mixa

Banned via Warnings
whenever I barely win against someone who does no DI whatsoever I think "****, if they just start trying some DI these matches will become so much harder to win."

Battlecow said:
falcon's stuff (single hit fairs, nairs) out of fthrow can sometimes be DI'd up to get you to a platform. or up and away. so when he tries, like, single hit fair in falcon dittos like ballin likes to do, if you DI hard up and away you can land (not in a fall animation) on a DL sideplat and punish.
Do you usually go for the top plat at 12% after the f-throw? or was that just more feasible than trying for the side plat?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I don't have a lot of experience DIing link's usmash because no one ever uses it. What is the best way to DI it?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Sideways, depending on your initial position. I believe there was no significant difference (ie other than initial position) between left and right. I tested long ago, could be wrong.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Do you usually go for the top plat at 12% after the f-throw? or was that just more feasible than trying for the side plat?
uh that was just me being terrible. I was DI'ing down that whole time, pretty sure; idk if up-in DI would have got me that top plat, I don't think it would have.

pretty much any other DI would have been better there. prolly out.

I just remembered how bad ciaza's DI is and now I understand AA's point of view.

Battlecow

Play to Win
No, the NY crew does without and they're as good as 90% of online players

but you EITHER need a group of at least 3-4 highly dedicated players willing to play with you lots, watch vids, read smashboards, and go to tourneys, OR you can play online. And online is still a much more efficient way to improve.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Anyone have any experience using PJ64 on Windows 8? Just got a new laptop and am trying to get back into the online scene, haven't played at all in over a year. Any suggestions on graphics/audio plugins and various other settings? It runs fairly well but I'm sure it's not optimal with the little tweaking I've attempted. Currently usings Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 Graphics, Jabo's DirectSound Audio but I've tried a couple variations, not sure which is best. Halp plz.

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
Has anyone tried reading this whole thread? Its so brutal. I want to count how many times tier list is brought up

iamavalon

Smash Rookie
i couldn't find the following information searching the forum, so i thought i would ask here. anyone has a table or knows the number of frames after a jump that are needed before each character can use an aerial? i'm not sure if they are different, but i feel that with link i can't input A for an aerial just right after jumping (i'd have to wait a little), but with fox it is much easier.

Sangoku

Smash Master
It's not about using an aerial a certain time after jumping, but rather how long the jumping animation is. If you haven't found in the regular threads (threads in the index, especially my frame data thread), then there's none. I could do one pretty easily.

edit: haven't found any, so here we go.

3 frames tier
Fox, Kirby, Luigi, Mario, Samus, Ness

4 frames tier
Captain Falcon

5 frames tier
Yoshi

6 frames tier
Donkey Kong, Jigglypuff

7 frames tier
Link

Please don't make the mistake of thinking short hopping is releasing the c button during the jumping animation, which would make short hop easiest with Link. Short hop is holding c for 3 frames or less for every character.

Top Bottom