• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

dandan

Smash Lord
it is not the tap, as the keyboard does not have a way of sensing the pressure you put on the key.
what matters is the amount of time the key is pressed, try pressing it really shortly, and see if that makes it easier.
short hopping on the keyboard takes practice, but it is one of the most essential parts to improve your play, so do not give up on it so easily.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Set the jump button to a key where you can "slide" off it. That is, graze the edge of the key in a swiping motion so you spend as little time as possible pressing it.

Anybody who's played Starfox Adventures or Metal Gear Solid (1 or 2?) knows the spoon trick for pressing a button really fast. Same principle applies. You're better off sliding off the key than pressing it directly.

The Star King

Smash Hero
@ballin short hopping isn't easier on controller

@semp Maybe I'm weird, but I find it takes more effort that way. I have no problem short hopping by just pressing the button.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
More power to you if you can do it consistently by just pressing it!

I don't have any experience on keyboard, but I did have trouble learning to shorthop on controller. It's not so much something you learn, per se, it has to do more with quickness and muscle memory. Ya just gotta press the button damn quick, and spend as little time as possible holding the button down.

I ran more into this problem in Melee, since the window is much smaller, but found that the slide trick works like a charm every single time. I have gotten much better at 64, but still can't consistently do it in Melee by just pressing the button, especially in the heat of battle.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Sliding into other buttons never works for me, since I usually hit the other button before my character leaves the ground, resulting in NOTHING happening...

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Ok so ive been playing on kaillera with PJ64k for awhile, but its not working with my new internet. the game runs fairly smoothly for 30 seconds-2 minutes, then it freezes and says "connection lost." Its wireless internet and my ping is 32. Any tips?

TANK64

Smash Lord
Someone needs to start shine-shieldbreaking already. Step it up, technical people.
I do the one that ends in UpSmash sometimes. Kind of alot recently lol, as well as Falcon platform breaks. Just get in modes were I do/don't do those odd things for 6 months at a time. I THINK I have some recorded, but might have recorded over the matches -____-, have to check. On that note, haven't played someone good in a while. Maybe if I ever graduate! ****ing school! Also shine shieldbreak takes discipline, If you get half way- the urge for instant gratification/fear of failure tells you to just upsmash! (They might be able to jump out but I doubt it, idk, and don't wanna look it up). Fox shieldbreak is enough for me xP (for now...). and thanks for whoever told me about the link break (StarKing?). Makes me a happier person, even though half of the time it pokes (with the weak upB hitbox lol).

Or clawing.
or being a god damn BOSS...

Olikus

Smash Champion
I remember I used for ever trying to learn short hoping by pressing lightley. Like months -___-. Then I tried too slide instead and learned it in a day lol. Works much better for me.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I still slide when I use a or b after. Its maybe not common but it works for me. Never got the tap lightly to work for shorthop.

Sangoku

Smash Master
You never fail your short hops when you slide to a or b? If you don't, then you're lucky, a lot of aerial will be way simpler for you. You should be able to SH double uair with falcon, can't you?

Olikus

Smash Champion
You never fail your short hops when you slide to a or b? If you don't, then you're lucky, a lot of aerial will be way simpler for you. You should be able to SH double uair with falcon, can't you?
Im very consistent with sh so i allmost never fail it. I might be lucky though :p

The Star King

Smash Hero
I've been meaning to ask this for weeks but I kept forgetting. How many frames of lag does a non z-cancelled Puff dair have?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
yeah, we really need more committed TASers.

aa, doesn't blackshadow know how? Go make him do everything for us please.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah I SERIOUSLY should. I've had so many little questions over the years that could be TAS'd.

Is it hard? Someone teach me

Sangoku

Smash Master
I don't think there are many tutorials. Just ask a kind TASer to explain you. Or ask a TASer to do it for you, as you wish. I'm a noob TASer, but I know the basics.

I counted 9 frames on an opponent and 4 in the air (both non-fastfalled).

Sangoku

Smash Master
No, 9 if you hit an opponent, 4 if you don't.

This is due to hitlag. I might be wrong, since I think hitlag is 4 frames... Maybe it's not constant though. I might have to check that some day.

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
I downloaded everything from the Index except the P2P thing. And everytime i try to open up Project64k or Project64 it says "the current GFX dll could not be used please selected another one."

And yes it says, "please selected another one." Instead of select.

Does anyone know what can fix this?

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
I did that and can load the emulation right, but if I try to play online it crashes everytime a game loads. It's asking me if I want to send an error report to windows.

yohoos

Smash Apprentice
DK grabs are stupid

Anyone got some advice for fighting against DK grabs because I play against someone who uses DK and times the grabs so that I can't even dash or get close to him. Also DJC and short hops usually fail since I still fall within DK's huge grab range. He uses grabs so much that it's getting rather annoying but I can't seem to be beat the grabs even though he doesn't even z-cancel or tech or anything, ALL HE DOES IS GRABS and then some decent edgeguarding. Also, he doesn't even play aggressively he only waits in the corner and hopes for a chance to grab. I don't play link, mario, fox, or pika, but I am ok with the rest of the cast. I watch pro matches but I can't really find anything good because the DKs don't seem to grab as much. As a result of playing with him I don't dodge roll anymore simply because he just comes after me with grabs.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Spamming projectiles works, apparently.

The way I beat it when I was a scrub was by attacking him like a little from above but mostly from the side so he couldn't grab me but I could hit him with aerials.

Like, pick falcon and try to hit him with the very edge of short-hop bairs.

And you have to Z-cancel everything of course.

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
re-setting up pj64k, on my nice new computer...got everything working except my c-buttons. and i can't figure out why. re-assigning keys doesn't do anything. i feel like i've heard of people having this problem before but i can't remember the solution, and i don't think i'd be able to track down that post if i tried.

Top Bottom