• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

SSBPete

Smash Lord
What do you think his best match-up is (inb4link)?

Well, I said slight advantage. Most of this is based off both my Samus and Yoshi going pretty even with Peek (on Dreamland btw), and my Yoshi is definitely better. I've also beaten Sheer with Ness, which shouldn't really happen. I did think it was even for a very long time, and I could still see that, so I'm not too adamant on Ness having a slight advantage. I also have more experimenting to do with some stuff.
I think Yoshi's best matchup is Jiggs, and particularly on Dream Land. The reasons being:
it's very hard to approach with Jiggs against Yoshi's bair,
Yoshi can chain arials, ftilt and dash attack ridiculously easily,
When Jiggs recovers low, eggs and smash attacks make for easy edge gaurds and when Jiggs recovers high, back airs arn't too hard to land due to Jiggs' slowness. Uair even kills on 65ish% if their not expecting it.
Most Jiggs' are too scared to shield because they know the conciquences so it's hella easy to pressure them into combos.
Jiggs' who are dumb enough to shield cop it big time.
Jiggs would be the next easiest, after Samus, to parry (altough I'm not great at parries so I could be wrong about this one).

Also Link.

I'm starting to reconsider Yoshi-Ness matchup, from experience my Yoshi seems to outplay most, if not all Ness' I play but I've never played anyone with a Ness like Peek.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Yeah she also combos fox really well but we don't exactly consider that to be one of her better match-ups.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I know, I was considering mentioning something about that but couldn't think of anything witty :p

The Star King

Smash Hero
Ugh, I don't even know where to begin with Pete's post. I guess I'm the one who's going to end up looking worse here since I'm probably not going to argue much back/be blunt, but whatever.

Yoshi Puff is about even. Puff has death combos. Puff does not have a hard time approaching Yoshi's bair; she should be approaching from above for the most part. Puff is not easy to edgeguard. Back-airs aren't too hard to land if Puff recovers high? With Yoshi's mid-air jump going up so slowly, you can see it coming from a mile away and fast fall + retreat, grab the edge, which Yoshi can't do much since he just overextended himself. In fact, Yoshi should be using eggs if Puff is recovering high; even if they don't hit, they can force Puff to go low or lose some distance.

I seriously LOL'd when you said Puff is the easiest character after Samus to parry. You obviously have NO idea what you're talking about. Puff has dair to beat parrying; multi-hit moves are probably the most reliable way to overcome parrying in general. Second easiest character to parry after Samus is probably Falcon.

Also, Ness Yoshi is pretty even, too. Maybe Peek can take this one for me, don't really feel like explaining it after all that Puff talk.

And c'mon, you almost avoided the noob answer of Link. I added the inb4 because I specifically was hoping you wouldn't say that. You had to throw it in?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Yoshi doesn't have that big a difficulty in edgeguarding puff, if Jigglypuff is coming from below, a d-tilt will kill Jigglypuff past her first jump. if from above? Eggs and then b-air or n-air. i even find Yoshi's d-air useful for this matchup for edgehogs due to Jigglypuff's terrible vertical mobility. Also, ever tried Yoshi's f-tilt for this matchup, it is a great combo starter and spacing move. To the guy suggesting spamming b-airs? It doesn't work as spamming is easy to read. Mix it up with f-tilts, n-airs, and a d-tilt every so often. My main idea for this matchup to avoid the rest kills by being hit at lower percent with other moves to make it so simple u-tilt and throw combos don't work.

In general:
Yoshi doesn't have an overpowering matchup. Yoshi isn't particularly good or bad vs any character. People just find Jigglypuff and Ness easier as they are even matchups (though I do think Yoshi vs Puff is barely in favor for Yoshi). I personally am a big fan of the falcon matchup on hyrule but this is probably just me. I also like facing Luigi (but again, this might be me)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Hmmmmmmm...

My experience vs Jiggly:

If she tries to fight you on even ground Yoshi has an advantage for sure. If Jiggly is intent on camping above you all match the match up goes to even to maybe even a slight Jiggly advantage.

Yoshi's biggest weakness in the game is dealing with style's/characters that are intent on camping above you the whole match. There's no way to safely hunt them down when they're above you. Eggs will get you punished vs a good player and it's risky using your double jump to go after them.

With that said there are almost no people that are good/patient enough to use the camp above you strategy to get a hand up in the matchup.

Players that have an advantage vs my Yoshi with Jiggly:

Malva00
The Star King

/endlist

And Star is possibly only on there because we've only had 1 Jiggly/Yoshi session ever. I think he won like 2-1 or 3-1. Some other players have had dominating sessions vs my Yoshi (like Frog) but overall I think still have the advantage. So we'll see with future Star King sessions. He did seem like one of the toughest Jiggs I've ever fought though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'd be really surprised if Boom's jiggs didn't have an advantage on your Yoshi. Have you played it extensively?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Actually Frogles Jiggs is probably even with me thinking about it. He's had dominant sessions and I've had dominant sessions. It's probably not fair for me to claim an advantage there.

I haven't had any friendly sessions with Boom in 2-3 years. We get 4-5 frames on p2p so he doesn't wanna play. Thus me talking about how people do vs me never includes Boom cause we don't play.

The Walrus

Smash Rookie
I use project64 on a mac by using crossover, emulating n64 on a windows emulator. But when i try to run project64k for online use it doesn't start at all. Anyone know how to make it work? Does anyone else use crossover for project64?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I don't think I have the advantage as Puff vs your Yoshi, Sheer. I would say it's even.

I agree about the camping above Yoshi bit, though.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Star King:

Puff is easy to parry: readable nairs and when Puff dair -> utilt combos its really easy to escape with a little bit of DI if you parry the first utilt and just jump out. Futhermore, most of her combos are easily escapable with slide DI and double jump armour.
Utilt with Yoshi seems to work more then you would expect from a dair camping Jiggs because it comes out quick and out prioritizes dair.
And I'm sorry but if you let Jiggs recover that easily your edge gaurding needs serious attention.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Star King:

Puff is easy to parry: readable nairs and when Puff dair -> utilt combos its really easy to escape with a little bit of DI if you parry the first utilt and just jump out.
Lol'd at "readable nairs"; implying that "readability" is a character trait, not a player trait. Anyways, if you combo dair -> utilt legitly, Yoshi will be trapped in hitstun and will be unable to parry. If Yoshi is too far away horizontally to do so (which takes either a Puff that sucks at chasing DI, or super mega extreme DI from Yoshi), you shouldn't be attempting to utilt after anyways. You can actually just do another short hop dair on the grounded Yoshi, and he can't do much about it; if he attempted a parry like you suggested, he would get hit by the second dair. Multihit moves are just great vs Yoshi in general, neutralizing both his parry and his double jump armor counter (speaking from Sheer experience).

You said yourself that you aren't very good at parrying; with some of the things you've said, I more than believe you.

Futhermore, most of her combos are easily escapable with slide DI and double jump armour.
No. The only thing that can easily escaped from Puff with DI is her Dair, which good Puffs avoid comboing with. If you escape it with double jump armor, it wasn't a legit combo.

Utilt with Yoshi seems to work more then you would expect from a dair camping Jiggs because it comes out quick and out prioritizes dair.
Utilt vs. Dair? Oh cool, a possible 20% or so in exchange for the risk of a possible death combo. That's a great risk vs reward situation right there.

And I'm sorry but if you let Jiggs recover that easily your edge gaurding needs serious attention.
Not to toot my own horn, but this is ironic I'm pretty sure I'm one of the better Yoshis at edgeguarding out there. I really like my edgeguarding game in general. Not only that, but remember I have experience from the Puff side, too. And I can definitely recover quite a bit vs multiple good Yoshi players. Are you saying you know better than all of SheerMadness, Frogles, th3kuzinator, and myself, and all these players' "edgeguarding need serious attention"? In fact, I'm going to turn this around on you and say that if the Puffs playing against you are letting you edgeguard them that easily, their recovering needs serious attention.

I'm trying to resist the urge to pull the "Sheer and I are better players, and we know better" card some more, but boy, you are tempting me.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Well I see where he's coming from with the "parry the uptilt" part. I have parried uptilts and rests after dairs countless times.

The problem is that those are people who z-cancel the dair. If they don't z-cancel the dair you don't have the opportunity to parry the uptilt or rest because a non z-canceled jiggly dair pops the opponent up in the air.

Yoshi is fairly good at edge guarding Jiggly. I wouldn't say it's really easy to do so but I also wouldn't say it's really easy for Jiggs to recover. It's a fun chess match.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Are you saying you know better than all of SheerMadness, Frogles, th3kuzinator, and myself, and all these players' "edgeguarding need serious attention"? In fact, I'm going to turn this around on you and say that if the Puffs playing against you are letting you edgeguard them that easily, their recovering needs serious attention.

I'm trying to resist the urge to pull the "Sheer and I are better players, and we know better" card some more, but boy, you are tempting me.
And I'm trying to resist the urge to pull the "Pete and I are better players, and we know better" card. Leave your arrogance out of this, until we play each other I don't want to hear anything about who's better than who.

I'm staying out of the rest of the argument because this is Pete's fight not mine.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Except for y'know, everyone in Australia. Just because nobody mains jigglypuff doesn't mean they don't play her.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
because you can totally judge things completely by vids

the last vids posted were like a year ago anyway

we're too chill to bother with recording and fancy ****

Battlecow

Play to Win
Keep talking little man

Maybe if you guys beat Isai and Jousuke and Alancitu at the AUSTRALIAN TOURNAMENT I'll listen.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Oh man, I am so pumped for the Australian tournament, if Isai says no I'm going to coax James to bring some other Americans down.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo we don't bring up those vids

Those were from a really long time ago.

A REAAAAAAALLY long time ago.

anyways I'll upload more recent ones showing me being better than Australia if some of you aussies get off your ***** and upload srs matches with good people.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I honest to God would if my horrible 7 year old computer allowed any screen-recording programs like Fraps. I might ask Kuro to record a few games with me. I promised Boom I would anyway. And I make a point to always fulfill my promises.

Because I'm Naruto.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Thank you ciaza and Sheer for your wonderful and non-condesending imput.
Fine. Ignore the last part of my post. I take it back. Pretend it doesn't exist. I'd like to see you respond to the other parts (if you aren't convinced).

And can you blame me for being condescending when you say, "Your edgeguarding needs serious attention"? Why are the Australians attacking me and not him as well, when he acted like he knew better than other all other Yoshi players without even explaining himself, thus showing unfounded arrogance? Two wrongs don't make a right, so I apologize for what I said, but I'm not the only one in the wrong here.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Fine, I'm sorry.

From the experience I've had playing Jiggly I've found its much easier then most, if not all other characters to play against with Yoshi. So no, I'm still not convinced.

DJRome

Smash Hero
playing around with cf (my first non samus char)

found out about pivot grab (woohoo)

anyways, i was dash dancing around and i fell out somehow and grabbed the ledge. sort of like in melee, the pc edgehog. anyone have any idea how to do it? i replicated it a few times by sheer luck

Top Bottom