• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Battlecow

Play to Win
*Resists the urge to point out that brawl is not, in fact, a good game*

So, I've been playing on PJ64 (Note the lack of a K) Lately with friends- one of us uses controller via adapter, the other uses keyboard. However, ghosting still occurs! Anyone know how to fix this? Has anyone had the same problem?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
O RLY? and why not?
to answer a previous question, some of the people who play smash 64 play brawl also (BoomFan and I are probably the best examples). However, most of us dislike brawl as the game is considered to be almost opposite compared to smash 64. But why?

1. Smash 64 is based on combos, brawl has basically none. This is the main reason
2. Brawl isn't balanced, Smash 64 is balanced, at least compared to brawl.
3. There are techniques in smash 64 that separate the really good people from the bad, as in there is a tech skill gap where some people just can't play well enough to win.
4. Too..many..new people who act like a**es (not you, lol).

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Another reason is, Brawl has been created to make money, to be a game for masses and "not competitive"

walsh

Smash Cadet
oh, they made the other ones to not make money???
I think what Nixxon is trying to say is that Brawl was created with "accessiblity" in mind, more so than "depth". I think the slower pace of Brawl compared to its predecessors adds merit to this assertion.

Pee-G

Smash Cadet
but just cuz its nothing like SSB64, dosnt mean its not good. melee for me at first was to fast compared to SSB64. now Brawl is to slow? WTF??

SKidd

Smash Master
I just got ssb64 on my wii

How do unlock all the characters/stages? And where are all the other rules(items, etc.)?

rpotts

Smash Lord
to unlock jigglypuff- beat the game on any difficulty then beat jigglypuff
falcon-beat the game in under 20 minutes without continues, then beat falcon
ness-beat the game on normal 3 lives without continues, then beat ness
luigi-complete the break the targets minigame with all 8 starter characters
to get item switch- play 50 vs mode matches, they can be 1 stock so they go really fast if you want to
to get mushroom kingdom- beat the game with all 12 characters without continues

My question: where is the thread/post that says how many frames it takes for jump?
I mean, I think links is 10 frames and everyone else is 7 but I can't find it to make sure. ****ing youtube comments

dandan

Smash Lord
if you want to practice edge DI, if you hang on the edge, iirc cpu pika will fsmash you and you can try to di that.

Battlecow

Play to Win
So, I, much to my chagrin, am unable to properly dash-pivot, although I play falcon quite a bit. I'm on KB, and I try to press forward and then back, but either I dash-dance or else I sort of dash pivot, but not as quickly as when I see other people do it (i.e. I go the full length of Falcon's dash before turning around.) I've seen other people use it to do effective combos, edgehogs, etc., and it irks me that I can't get this. Advice?

PS- it might just be my bad timing. I can rarely pull off teleports either.

PPS- I can kind of do it with Luigi.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
A soft touch is important...and that only comes through practice >_>

Just practise turning left and right without moving (also an important skill) until you have that down pat.

BONE_THUG

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, i have recently bought a USB adapter for my N64 controllor. It is the one with two slots and reads "N64 Controller Adapter (for PC USB)" on top of it. When i try to set up my controls on NRAGE it doesnt recognize the controller at all. I first used the purple see-through controller and also tried an old-school grey one after reading somewhere that the purple ones sometimes dont work. Can anyone help me out i have been fiening to get involved in the online smash community.

DMoogle

A$
Hey guys, i have recently bought a USB adapter for my N64 controllor. It is the one with two slots and reads "N64 Controller Adapter (for PC USB)" on top of it. When i try to set up my controls on NRAGE it doesnt recognize the controller at all. I first used the purple see-through controller and also tried an old-school grey one after reading somewhere that the purple ones sometimes dont work. Can anyone help me out i have been fiening to get involved in the online smash community.
Welcome to Smashboards!

If you go to Start -> Run -> game controllers (press enter), is something listed (such as a 4 axis 16 button joystick)? If there is, click "Properties," then press some buttons/move the joystick, and tell me if there's a response.

BONE_THUG

Smash Rookie
Actaully i think i found the problem, when I would set tthe controls up i wouldnt save the device before trying change the controls, Thanks though!

Sangoku

Smash Master
I was wondering, how can I see the hitboxes (like in a thread, I don't remember which)?

Is it a cheat to use?

I want to try to find out the differences between the PAL and the NTSC versions.

Thanks!

DMoogle

A$
There's supposed to be a combination of cheats to allow a player to enter a somewhat glitchy "hitbox mode."

However, malva00 has kindly uploaded save states of all the characters in this mode. You can find the download here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10321484&highlight=megaupload#post10321484

Simply take the files and open them individually in PJ64k with System -> Load... depending on which character you wish to play around with.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Great, I'm gonna try this right now! Thanks!

The problem is that I would have like to compare the hitboxes of the NTSC and PAL versions and obviously those save states only apply to NTSC.
Does anybody have a solution? ^^

NixxxoN

Smash Master

The problem is that I would have like to compare the hitboxes of the NTSC and PAL versions and obviously those save states only apply to NTSC.
+1

PAL version is completely forgotten @ gamshark codes and stuff D:

DMoogle

A$

Unfortunately, I'd be very surprised if anyone EVER develops a cheat that allows a person to play around in "hitbox mode" for the PAL version. I'm not sure if anyone even understands why the certain combination of cheats allows for it on the NTSC version... I think it was discovered by accident.

I forgot to add in my post that I could never get the cheats to work on the NTSC version, that's why I used malva's save states.

My question: has anyone ever tried using the cheats to get into hitbox mode for console SSB?

dandan

Smash Lord
gameshark is a real thing, you can attach it to the console to enter the cheats.

dandan

Smash Lord
i had a lot of problems playing on console (though it was the vs with gc pad) i am just not used to stick, found it hard to DI that i am so used to on keyboard. however after a while i got the hang of it and could still combo/space pretty well, the thing i could not really get back was the DI :S

sharksquail

Smash Ace
Learning how to DI on a 64 controller has been really difficult for me, but i'm finally starting to get it down. I'm so jealous of keyboard DI.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Do HAX keyboard skillz translate to being good on console with a 64 controller? Not hating, just curious.
Some can make the switch. I never could; I literally locked myself in a room with two good friends, four controllers, a cartridge, a console, a TV, and four family size bags of doritos for nearly a week, and showed no signs of progressing past "AAAARGH I CAN'T GET THIS WHY WHY WHY" level by the end of it. To this day I can't do pikachu's double up-b on controller.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Do HAX keyboard skillz translate to being good on console with a 64 controller? Not hating, just curious.
Keyboard makes some stuff more simple and some stuff harder.
Also, N64 joystick sucks.
I always did worse with the original 64 pad, but I do better than anything else with a hori minipad.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
hori mini pad DI is HAX. I think because the stick is more sensitive. If anyone needs proof, on the char select screen, a hori mini pad joystick controlled hand will move from one side of the screen to the other much faster than any new N64 joystick i have.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
hori mini pad DI is HAX. I think because the stick is more sensitive. If anyone needs proof, on the char select screen, a hori mini pad joystick controlled hand will move from one side of the screen to the other much faster than any new N64 joystick i have.
I play console on a hori and have found this to be true. Deft helps DI'ing through Pika's f-air.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
What is the best way to..

Screw it...

When is the best time to use bomb recovery with Link? Damage wise, since i don't go very far when i get back thrown by Fox at 80% on Dreamland >_>
And die..

Top Bottom