• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Why does the "whatismyip" button suddenly stop working in my p2p window (nov1 kaillera)?

And what are useful alternatives that will give you the same number? Just about everything I've tried doesn't work, but back when that button worked it was always right.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I just use whatismyip.com...

I find people on our server who have and are interested in p2ping - usually better players who cares about the delay difference - so I tell them on-server.

DMoogle

A$
Why does the "whatismyip" button suddenly stop working in my p2p window (nov1 kaillera)?

And what are useful alternatives that will give you the same number? Just about everything I've tried doesn't work, but back when that button worked it was always right.
The /myip command in Galaxy 64 will give you your IP. It's not as convenient, but it works.

dandan

Smash Lord
i have written a java executable that puts your ip concanated to a port of your chosing so you can copy it, and after that you just have to paste it where you like. i do not mind sending it to someone if you like, i use it so often, it is really a time saver.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
The /myip command in Galaxy 64 will give you your IP. It's not as convenient, but it works.
So goddam hard to highlight it and press Ctrl + C when everyone keeps typing/ leaving or joining / makes games > : (

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
new here. i always thought of myself as a decent smasher, knowing i was never amazing, but i did know all the terms/z-cancel etc. anyway, my friends and i have gotten heavily into smash, and the skill is pretty equal. i want to be the best of the group though, and obviously practicing against top competition would be the best.

if i did play on p64k, is there a lag to deal with that would affect my console game? i don't mean internet connection lag, but is there a delay from doing a smash attack on emulator that isn't there for console, that would mess up my timing?

DMoogle

A$
new here. i always thought of myself as a decent smasher, knowing i was never amazing, but i did know all the terms/z-cancel etc. anyway, my friends and i have gotten heavily into smash, and the skill is pretty equal. i want to be the best of the group though, and obviously practicing against top competition would be the best.

if i did play on p64k, is there a lag to deal with that would affect my console game? i don't mean internet connection lag, but is there a delay from doing a smash attack on emulator that isn't there for console, that would mess up my timing?
Yes, and the delay will vary based on your ping on the server you play on (if playing on a server) or the opponent you play with (if P2Ping). Your timing will definitely be off for a while as you get used to it.

However, the concepts and techniques you learn from playing better players online will EASILY make it worth the frustration and bad habits you *might* develop.

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
thanks. p64k the best way to go too? how do i go about connecting with players to practice? ( i assume there is a thread I'm missing with all this information)

DMoogle

A$
Lots of info here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262536

PJ64k is what like 98% of players use. For server play, you simply connect to a server (Galaxy 64 is the main SSB server, it's located in New York IIRC), join a game (or start a room for others to join), and play!

Of course, there's a good chance you'll run into trouble along the way, but we can tackle those obstacles as we come to them.

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
So I tried installing following the links from the link you posted, and tried downloading the one for Vista. No go, says I'm missing the kallimara file. I try the other p64k, and it doesn't work. Any other places to get one that is fine for Vista, or am I messing something up?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
There also happens to be a link to a combined kaillera client in there. Transplant it into the folder you extracted the emulator into.

The link there should work for Vista and 7, I uploaded it myself.

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
ok, last problem hopefully (lol). It seems like I got it all working, except it's not registering the SSB ROM I downloaded. I extracted it, moved it to a folder, all that, but P64k just says 'Bad rom? Use goodN64 & check for updated INI'. any help?

dandan

Smash Lord
set your rom folder in settings, afterwards, press f5 in the main program window to refresh the rom list and make sure it shows the ssb rom.

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
I did that, and still no game.

Also, another thing that happens when I start P64, it pops up and says 'GFX DLL not available, please select another one' but idk what that is. Any help?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
GFX DLL means there's a problem with your graphics plugin. Go to Options > Settings and check the plugins. Maybe download Project64 1.6 and transplant the plugins from there.

Are you opening it straight from the zip file, perchance? You have to extract it (I doubt this is the problem though).

dandan

Smash Lord
go to the euro smash index, i have uploaded my smash folder, excluding the rom, so you will everything nice and neat there.

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
When I go to plugins, the graphics is blank, along with sound and controller. Theres a drop down men, but no choices.

Dandan--your file doesn't work for me. I'm pretty much computer illeterate (funny hearing that even though I'm always on) but I download it as a .rar file and can't open it to extract it or anything. Thanks though.

Still looking to play (lol)

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
ok, so I downloaded 1.6, and I can play smash on that! But, it doesn't have online play, and I still can't play for the one made for vista.

cheeseball- how do I transplant the graphics and such from 1.6 to the vista one?

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
ok, that works (somewhat)!

I can play SSB single player, but everytime I go to 'start Netplay' under File (which, I assume, is how to play online) I get the same "GFX DLL can not be uploaded" and I don't have a clue for that. single player works, but online doesn't. Am I doing something wrong to play online?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hi everyone!

According to the learning curve thread, I think I'm a level 3B-4 player. The thing is that I've had the game for a long time already and I don't feel I'm making any progress. What would be the best way to train? I don't have anybody to play with, so I was wondering if fighting against CPU were useful or not. Should I try playing online?

(I apologize for the english mistakes, I'm a french-speaker...)

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Playing online will help you get a lot better.

I don't really have anyone to play with so I play CPUs a lot. It's fun to practice combos but it's not going to help you at all with approaching.

DMoogle

A$
Hi everyone!

According to the learning curve thread, I think I'm a level 3B-4 player. The thing is that I've had the game for a long time already and I don't feel I'm making any progress. What would be the best way to train? I don't have anybody to play with, so I was wondering if fighting against CPU were useful or not. Should I try playing online?

(I apologize for the english mistakes, I'm a french-speaker...)
Playing online will definitely help you take your game to new levels. You should also watch some videos on Youtube of the best players (most notably Isai, whose channel is http://www.youtube.com/mevsec). If you're feeling uncreative, read my post on the process of learning new strategies (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256741).

Oh yeah, and your English is fine. :)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Playing online is a great way to improve. You get to play against real people, so you can play against many different playstyles. Not only that, but you can watch what people do against you, and then try to learn it later. It's a win-win situation. Seeing as you're from Europe, you might want to check out the European smash index for their msn group (and more).

Tu parles bien en anglais, mais si tu veux parler en français au lieu, tu peux toujours donner des messages privé en français à les francophones ici. De ce que je m'en souviens, les personnes qui parlent en français sont moi, Mahie, Zen Yore, Holy Quebec... et toi :p

Si tu veux parler en français au lieu pour quelque soit la raison (une question, juste parler, etc.), just donne moi un message :)

Sangoku

Smash Master
Thanks to everyone for your answers! :)

I think I definitely should play online, but I'm afraid that I would get ***** each time I play... ^^'' And I also have to get some controller adapter, because I don't feel like playing with the keyboard...

I have seen some of Isai's vids and... I'm shocked! lol
I notice a lot of short hop followed by an air attack and then a z-cancel, which I find very hard to perform. I'm not even comfortable with short hopping.

Sinon, je savais pas que certains d'entre vous parlait français. ^^ Ça pourrait être pratique.

DMoogle

A$
Thanks to everyone for your answers! :)

I think I definitely should play online, but I'm afraid that I would get ***** each time I play...
You probably will, but how else will you get better? Everyone has to start at the bottom.

I used to think I would never be able to perform a fastfall up-aerial attack (without using a midair jump), and now I can do them at will with about a 60%-70% accuracy.

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
ok, that works (somewhat)!

I can play SSB single player, but everytime I go to 'start Netplay' under File (which, I assume, is how to play online) I get the same "GFX DLL can not be uploaded" and I don't have a clue for that. single player works, but online doesn't. Am I doing something wrong to play online?
Still looking for any help if someone can give it. Thanks

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
Ok, I got onto netplay without a problem now by downloading pj64k 1.3 and bringing those plugins over. Now, when I start netplay, I can get on fine, but if I refresh game list nothing happens. I have it set to P2P mode (only mode) so I'm assuming I need to set up a game with someone and have them connect to me/me to them?

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
I'm so close...

I got Galaxy working, but the same problem is happening as before. When I load up the game, I get the message "Bad Rom? Use GoodN64 & Check for Updated INI"

I can play single player just fine, but when I go into Galaxy server, it says that I haven't uploaded the ROM. Once I get past this, I'm pretty hopeful I'll be able to play online. Any ideas? I've googled it and nothing

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I'm so close...

I got Galaxy working, but the same problem is happening as before. When I load up the game, I get the message "Bad Rom? Use GoodN64 & Check for Updated INI"

I can play single player just fine, but when I go into Galaxy server, it says that I haven't uploaded the ROM. Once I get past this, I'm pretty hopeful I'll be able to play online. Any ideas? I've googled it and nothing
Did you make sure that your Rom Directory works? If this does not work, then you cannot go on Galaxy or any server as the Emulator won't recognizr your rom. (As in, do you need to choose your Rom every time you start up Project 64k or can you start your game instantly)

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
When I start up PJ64K, the ROM is there on the list, but it says "Bad Rom? Use GoodN64 and checked for updated INI"

For reference, I downloaded Mupen, and it does show up on that, but I would like to be able to use PJ64K due to the amount of people that use it

Battlecow

Play to Win
Sheerly out of curiosity, with no desire to spark derisive comments, etc. etc. etc...

How do people like, say, Alancitu and Prince compare to the best NA smashers (Isai and Boom)? Are there any other European/Asian/Australian (lol Australia) smashers that can compete up there with Boom/Isai? I've seen threads where it was touched on, but I've never seen a legit, thought out answer to this. I know it's hard to judge, because all we have is vids, but I guess I'm saying that as I'm to n00bish to gauge skill with any amount of exactitude from vids myself, I want someone 1337 to tell me how things lie.

edit: I think redhatpika will find it hard to "find out about it himself"... Would I be breaking rules by saying that downloading a different ROM might help? would that help? I've never encountered this problem before, but I feel a need to be helpful.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Sheerly out of curiosity, with no desire to spark derisive comments, etc. etc. etc...

How do people like, say, Alancitu and Prince compare to the best NA smashers (Isai and Boom)? Are there any other European/Asian/Australian (lol Australia) smashers that can compete up there with Boom/Isai? I've seen threads where it was touched on, but I've never seen a legit, thought out answer to this. I know it's hard to judge, because all we have is vids, but I guess I'm saying that as I'm to n00bish to gauge skill with any amount of exactitude from vids myself, I want someone 1337 to tell me how things lie.

edit: I think redhatpika will find it hard to "find out about it himself"... Would I be breaking rules by saying that downloading a different ROM might help? would that help? I've never encountered this problem before, but I feel a need to be helpful.
The european level is pretty much that of the american east coast, so, no.

Top Bottom