• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Sangoku

Smash Master
I was playing against this falcon and this man was grabbing all day do you have tips to avoid grabs in this game.
Who do you play as? Avoiding grabs is very very difficult and smartly spaced grabs can become a real pain. What you need to do is develop a less linear playstyle by using platforms and jumps. The problem is being on a platform isn't so advantageous against Falcon as he can Uair you through it. Work on short hop aerials, pivot, and baits.

Also how does isai do shorthop dair to upair with mario and lugi so fast and cleanly?
You can use R as @ nickthename nickthename suggested, but another common technique is to learn to slide from down C to A, such that 1) you press C a short enough amount of time that you short hop and 2) you press A at the right timing for dair to come out early. This sliding method is useful for many things, like Fox's short hop double laser, Pikachu's short hop double aerials, etc. It's not always required to slide (you can short hop dair to uair with Luigi if you press fast enough), but it's faster than pressing.

Also you should always practice in the air and on an opponent (in training mode for example), because hitlag will mess up your timing for the uair and the z-cancel.

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Who do you play as? Avoiding grabs is very very difficult and smartly spaced grabs can become a real pain. What you need to do is develop a less linear playstyle by using platforms and jumps. The problem is being on a platform isn't so advantageous against Falcon as he can Uair you through it. Work on short hop aerials, pivot, and baits.

You can use R as @ nickthename nickthename suggested, but another common technique is to learn to slide from down C to A, such that 1) you press C a short enough amount of time that you short hop and 2) you press A at the right timing for dair to come out early. This sliding method is useful for many things, like Fox's short hop double laser, Pikachu's short hop double aerials, etc. It's not always required to slide (you can short hop dair to uair with Luigi if you press fast enough), but it's faster than pressing.

Also you should always practice in the air and on an opponent (in training mode for example), because hitlag will mess up your timing for the uair and the z-cancel.
I use pikachu and i would try to work on my pivots its just that my control stick feels stiff so its hard to dash dance and bait falcon's grabs also hes so fast.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I use pikachu and i would try to work on my pivots its just that my control stick feels stiff so its hard to dash dance and bait falcon's grabs also hes so fast.
If you use original 64 controllers, you could always look for a new one. A controller with a good quality joystick shouldn't be more than like $25-35. Key search terms: "original n64 tight joystick" usually gives me a nice list of original controllers. You just have to be very vigilant, ensure that the product in the pictures is what you'd be getting, and ask any questions you need to of the sellers. Make sure you also read the product descriptions, because some of them will say something like "installed new thumbstick/joystick unit" or "refurbished" which means they used third party joysticks, which is not what you want for ssb64. I don't want to give away all the secrets so I can hoard the best ones to myself, but this is fine for the basics of scouring ebay for a new controller :).

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Pikachu's grab game is as deadly as Falcon's. You can try to beat him at that game and grab him first. If you feel he's going to dash in and grab, as you face away from him, utilt while he runs into it, or jump and uair as soon as possible. The disjointed hitboxes should hit him before he can grab you.

Shears

Smash Master
If krec files are just a copy of inputs which the emulator then plays back in order doesn't that mean the playback may not actually be the same as the match that happened when it was recorded? Lets say the match was played on Hyrule, the tornadoes being rng would mean that in one play of the krec a tornado might kill someone when it doesn't in another play of the same krec. Or is rng in the game only calculated by using values and events in game and not from any kind of clock or some other indeterminable data?

Sangoku

Smash Master
I'm not sure whether Krec files are only recording inputs or whether RNG only depends on inputs, but I know that normally a Krec file wouldn't desync upon a tornado appearing. I mean there are cases where the Krec has desynced, but most of the time it doesn't.

I know it does when you choose a CPU though. So perhaps the second hypothesis is correct.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
I recently bought a hori mini pad and am having trouble getting it to work on pj64. I'm using a may flash adapter. The joystick response is all scrambled and erratic. Any pointers?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I recently bought a hori mini pad and am having trouble getting it to work on pj64. I'm using a may flash adapter. The joystick response is all scrambled and erratic. Any pointers?
Hori Mini Pads won't work on mayflash. You need a Raphnet adapter.

I remember in the past Hori Mini Pads were impossible to use on emulator before the Raphnet guy made it happen.

Last edited:

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
rats
thanks

How much does the "depth" dimension (the one going into the tv) matter in hitbox/hurtbox overlap? Does it have a substantial effect on the way we perceive priority?

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I wouldn't think so. The amount of moves that have hitboxes or hurtboxes that go into the Z dimension is incredibly small. Out of the few that do, interactions between them are so situational and unlikely that their depth wouldn't have any meaningful impact.

nickthename

Smash Apprentice
If krec files are just a copy of inputs which the emulator then plays back in order doesn't that mean the playback may not actually be the same as the match that happened when it was recorded? Lets say the match was played on Hyrule, the tornadoes being rng would mean that in one play of the krec a tornado might kill someone when it doesn't in another play of the same krec. Or is rng in the game only calculated by using values and events in game and not from any kind of clock or some other indeterminable data?
The RNG is seeded off inputs and timing. Identical inputs = Identical RNG. This is often taken advantage of by TASers in other games.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
How much does the "depth" dimension (the one going into the tv) matter in hitbox/hurtbox overlap? Does it have a substantial effect on the way we perceive priority?
i think z-axis moves at least dodge lasers.

Does isai frequent this board and stream at all? (I'm fairly new so just asking)
yes; malva00 is his handle (his profile pic is wearing a santa hat).

Last edited:

Madao

I'm almost certain that the krec files are just a copy of inputs.

As for rng, idk all the details, but I believe even audio affects it. I noticed that for AQZ netplay on emulators unsuitable for netplay, there was a lower chance of desynching if I used an audio plugin that used a fixed value, instead of basing a certain value on your hardware results. If you play on an emulator that's deterministic (like Mupen), the chances of desynching are much less. Anything random can expose a desync, so that includes tornadoes.

MasterSplinter

Smash Cadet
For all of you techy people, how do you set up project64 with netplay on a macbook air without having to use virtual box to change the operating system? This is just a really temporary fix as I have a computer that I'm finishing up building for college but I still need to buy monitors and stuff for it. Thanks a lot in advance

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
For all of you techy people, how do you set up project64 with netplay on a macbook air without having to use virtual box to change the operating system? This is just a really temporary fix as I have a computer that I'm finishing up building for college but I still need to buy monitors and stuff for it. Thanks a lot in advance
I'm no expert when it comes to anything computer related, but I know when I tried to set it up on my Mac it just wasn't worth the effort. Especially if it's the Mac air, there isn't any port for an Ethernet chord so you'll be even more laggy and people will hate you lol. I'd just wait till you get your desktop working. Gonna be a lot less of a headache.

Anybody know of the best/ most cost effective capture card, web cam, and headset set up for streaming and recording. I'm too lazy to do any real research, so I'll take the moderately qualified opinions of total strangers as a substitute. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I'm no expert when it comes to anything computer related, but I know when I tried to set it up on my Mac it just wasn't worth the effort. Especially if it's the Mac air, there isn't any port for an Ethernet chord so you'll be even more laggy and people will hate you lol. I'd just wait till you get your desktop working. Gonna be a lot less of a headache.

Anybody know of the best/ most cost effective capture card, web cam, and headset set up for streaming and recording. I'm too lazy to do any real research, so I'll take the moderately qualified opinions of total strangers as a substitute. Thanks.
Ask @KnitePhox for his qualified opinion. He is very helpful when it comes to technology from my experience.

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Best way to get project64 on a Mac is to partition your disk and get a compatible operating system.

But if knitephox has a reasonable solution I'd love to hear it

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
How can I get and use netplay?

Also, are there any suggested controllers to use? I've been looking up the USB ones and the reviews don't sound very good

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
How can I get and use netplay?

Also, are there any suggested controllers to use? I've been looking up the USB ones and the reviews don't sound very good
dont get a usb one unless it's an xbox controller or something. Get a regular n64 controller and a mayflash n64 to usb adapter. Just make sure the controller is 1st party or the adapter wont work. Otherwise if u want to use a 3rd party controller such as a hori mini pad u can get a raphnet adapter instead which is a bit more expensive but a very good adapter.

setting up netplay: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-rucRVGZcblagIwZtdc5dGeDUmPJFluVDeLDzzShPxI/edit

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
dont get a usb one unless it's an xbox controller or something. Get a regular n64 controller and a mayflash n64 to usb adapter. Just make sure the controller is 1st party or the adapter wont work. Otherwise if u want to use a 3rd party controller such as a hori mini pad u can get a raphnet adapter instead which is a bit more expensive but a very good adapter.

setting up netplay: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-rucRVGZcblagIwZtdc5dGeDUmPJFluVDeLDzzShPxI/edit

Thank you very much!

I have an N64 controller at home, but I won't be home for a few weeks and I wanted to get into this pretty soon.

The "1st party" controllers on Amazon seem to be fakes.. Is there any links any where to get a legitimate controller?

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Thank you very much!

I have an N64 controller at home, but I won't be home for a few weeks and I wanted to get into this pretty soon.

The "1st party" controllers on Amazon seem to be fakes.. Is there any links any where to get a legitimate controller?
the key to making sure u get a first party controller is to look for the nintendo brand name at the top. Most of the controllers sold on amazon are 3rd party controllers that just happen to look like 1st party but without the Nintendo name on it. here is a comparison

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
the key to making sure u get a first party controller is to look for the nintendo brand name at the top. Most of the controllers sold on amazon are 3rd party controllers that just happen to look like 1st party but without the Nintendo name on it. here is a comparison

Alright, thank you.

I had seen a controller with the brand name on top, and it said it was sold by "Nintendo", but the reviews claimed them as fake

http://onlinessb.com/controllers.html

That lists all the controllers used and descriptions about them all.

Its cheaper to get a 64 controller or GC controller and get a usb adapter than use a usb input device and get a 64 adapter (since usb-64 adapters are like $200).
I'll check this out, thank you!

BOontheGO

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I have a question about one of Marios combos, in particular the short hop drill kick to up air. You know what im talking about. Anyway, I am not that consistent with it, and I am just wondering if its a matter of practice makes perfect or is there a simpler way to do it that I am overlooking. Watching Nintendude lately and its inspiring yet discouraging lol anyway thanks

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Hey all, I have a question about one of Marios combos, in particular the short hop drill kick to up air. You know what im talking about. Anyway, I am not that consistent with it, and I am just wondering if its a matter of practice makes perfect or is there a simpler way to do it that I am overlooking. Watching Nintendude lately and its inspiring yet discouraging lol anyway thanks
practice is absolutely necessary. That being said i find using the r button after the shorthop for the aerial to be easier than trying to move your thumb quickly from the c button to the a button. i know some people prefer the a button tho

Sangoku

Smash Master
Either use R or slide from down C to A. It is only a matter of practice. And don't worry, even if you know how to shine dsmash, you may still have trouble with this one.

Annex

Smash Ace
What those two said, but also make sure to practice on the standing dummy in training mode! The timing is very different because of all the hitlag from the diar. Don't get frustrated! :066:

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Practice makes perfect, as always. The dair>uair is all a matter of timing. When I was practicing it while hitting the cpu in training, I was counting how many drills there are (I think its like 7ish) and learned how to time it from that. I use the slide from c to a method and z cancel it normally.

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
I recently upgraded to windows 8 and haven't been able to get my controller working for PJ64K. I'm using the same controller plugin that I used to:
http://puu.sh/iWUCb/45834e5eec.png

and the same adapter, same ROM, raw data unchecked, same everything:

The thing is, everything works perfectly except for my C buttons. All the other buttons are fine and the thumbstick feels just like it should. When I try to map the C buttons it inputs them correctly in the controller dialog:
http://puu.sh/iWUPq/4a82fc1138.png

but in game and at char select they do nothing. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Sangoku

Smash Master
This should be added into the index's FAQ, as this is a really common issue. The mayflash adapter treats the c-buttons as the z-axis, and if you don't calibrate it in Windows, it will not have enough "range" to allow jumps.

Maliki

Smash Ace
Whats up I was thinking of playing online but I don't know much about the adapter to get.
Can someone help me out and tell me what to search or link me to one?
Thank you

Last edited:
Top Bottom