• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Battlecow

Play to Win
Depends how much money is worth to you

it was worth it to me, but like the difference isn't extraordinary, I just like nice things

Last edited:

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Can someone link me a GIF of a character platform dropping and getting invincibility frames?

Does it have to be a shield drop?

Thanks.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
I know I know. I've been super busy and I'm really bad with computers so I've been putting it off.

I'll get to it soon.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
btw i think the actual program isn't uploaded, just the characters. peeps shouldn't need to download 1gb of japanese stuff only to get the program

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I mean I'm not horrible, still better than the average person. I just get the feeling that I'm not as good as some of you maniacs lol.

I don't know, I'm just a HUGE n00b when it comes to frame data and such so Im probably going to get a little overwhelmed.

Maybe I'll try it this weekend, if I get stuck ill just ask a bunch of questions here like I always do. ^_^

Madao

Yeah I mean I'm not horrible, still better than the average person. I just get the feeling that I'm not as good as some of you maniacs lol.

I don't know, I'm just a HUGE n00b when it comes to frame data and such so Im probably going to get a little overwhelmed.
Lol what? I don't see what's overwhelming. All you do is download a few tools and play around with em. It takes minutes to learn how to use. I think you're overcomplicating things here.

@ mixa mixa , any luck with the combo counter program? That's one of the few things left for me to work on :) . I've ran out of things to look into so the next few things I'm going to explore is stats (kills, deaths, damage done, etc) and a few other minor things.

Also guys, what's wrong with Kailera? I hear a lot of bad things about it, but when I tried it for the first time yesterday, it worked great. I used p2p. The only thing problem I can think of is that it's on an outdated emulator. I might try out 1964 to see if that works better than pj64k. How often do you guys desync?

Edit: Looks like I jynxed myself. I've been desynching a lot today :( . Do plugins matter for synching?

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Server games desync a lot

p2p is fine provided both parties have good internet, just a little inconvenient to find games

Last edited:

Madao

Lol so day 3 went better than day 2 :) . I tried out Mupen64k and it worked better than pj64kve. Funny how I quickly test out pj64k after playing with Mupen and desynched while selecting characters xD. Mupen64k doesn't seem to use more resources than pj64k. In fact my sister's computer lagged less after switching to Mupen, shortly after having fps issues while playing with pj64k (could be a coincidence). When I checked cpu usage, I saw the same range as pj64k on both my computer and my sister's.

Now for some more questions. Where can I get a legit version of Mupen64k because the one I used, has smasher's name in the about Mupen message box? It also is buggy because when I drop game, the emulator crashes. Another question is, why do people still use pj64k, when Mupen64k desyncs less? I know that there's no built in gameshark function, but cheat engine works well :) . Also you could mod the rom to make changes as well (probably the best option). Lol I just realised that I shoulda modded rom instead of using cheat engine .__.

Anyway, I'll look into learning how Kailera works. I will also check out Mupen64Plus source code and see what I can do.
How was this tested? In mupen frame advance, my mayflash also has 1 frame of "delay", just like my kb and raphnet (iirc)
I was wondering the same thing. My guess would be to record and watch frame by frame, but I still don't know how you could guarantee pressing a button on 2 controllers at the exact same time.

Now my only issue with playing online is that I'm on wireless :( . Also have you guys tweaked your pc internet settings? I remember using a program called TCPOptimizer, but I never did do tests to confirm if it helps. I still leave on the good settings though :) .

mixa

Banned via Warnings
mixa , any luck with the combo counter program?
no luck. I don't know what to do with those programs, but nice to hear you're going somewhere.

why do people still use pj64k, when Mupen64k desyncs less?
the same could be said about a lot of things online. why don't people do this and that? because everyone is lazy and won't do anything by themselves. emulator is too big a deal. I've had people declining emulators and cheat files I suggested simply because they "had this emulator since 2003 and it has always worked". most people don't even wanna _try_ p2p even though the servers are crap. I'm dead sure some people throroughly enjoy manually setting up the menu (no items; 5 stocks) everytime. I don't know, maybe there's something visceral about it that I don't get it.
I remember back in the day suggesting mupen and not even 20% of the people even tried the thing. and yeah, the mupen crash is annoying.

anyway, if you make a patched rom, let us know. also, in the patched rom I noticed even the CPs come as lvl 9 already. is there a way to make it so when the stage select screen loads, the stage highlighted is already Dream Land? if we got that + no timer, it would be perfect. (actually, perfect would need to have start slots 2P and 4P lol)

Last edited:

Madao

Lol it's nice to take breaks from things. Boredom causes me to come up with new things to try :) . I've never tried messing with the default stage, but I'll give it a shot. When you say "+ no timer", you mean regular stock mode right? Also, aren't the starting slots dependant on the controllers plugged in? Do you want it so that the game automatically starts in VS mode (although the flaw is that it breaks training mode)? One last question is, do you care about seeing those black horizontal lines (like in some of the japanese frame display images)? This happens when you modify SSB64 and update the crc. What I do to fix the lines is hack the CRC check, but the downside to that is that on some emulators, you get a message box warning you about the rom (some people couldn't be bothered to click on these boxes). With Mupen, you can turn off alert messages, and I hacked PJ64kve to not display the message box. If enough people are interested in rom patches, I'll see what I can do to make them more easily available.

It looks like the online emulator situation is as I feared. I'll admit, I was initially skeptical with Mupen64k, until I was dissatisfied with pj64k. I may make a cheat engine table for Mupen64k, is anyone interested? Hopefully by tomorrow, I'll figure out how to compile Mupen64Plus and learn about Kailera.

rpotts

Smash Lord
I get a feeling that would be much more difficult than it sounds. Same with resetting from grabs; they both give you invincibilty frames.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
When you say "+ no timer", you mean regular stock mode right?
yes. while I don't care about it, I would want to try to spread the patched rom around, so not having the timer there would be better for acceptance.

Also, aren't the starting slots dependant on the controllers plugged in?
yes, starting slots depend on where the controllers are plugged in. seems like J-SNAKE might be onto something for the J version (開始位置変更 = starting slot change). I still don't know if that cheat file is finished yet and if it is where to get it.

Do you want it so that the game automatically starts in VS mode (although the flaw is that it breaks training mode)?
training mode works fine for me in the Quick Match rom. but I'd say yes even if it breaks training mode, since the main purpose would be online playing.

One last question is, do you care about seeing those black horizontal lines (like in some of the japanese frame display images)?
I do but if it means having the black lines allows cool stuff to happen, I wouldn't mind anymore. all about the trade-offs.

Last edited:

Madao

Would it be possible to make a cheat that removes walls resetting the Training Mode combo meter?
I will try debugging it today.
yes, starting slots depend on where the controllers are plugged in. seems like J-SNAKE might be onto something for the J version (開始位置変更 = starting slot change). I still don't know if that cheat file is finished yet and if it is where to get it.

I do but if it means having the black lines allows cool stuff to happen, I wouldn't mind anymore. all about the trade-offs.
I will look into the starting slots mechanic. Idk if I can figure it out though. If someone could contact J-SNAKE, that would be great. If someone could tell me the gameshark code for starting slot change in J version, I could easily make a code for U version.
Basically you have an option between horizontal black lines appearing in VS mode matches, or having a message box saying that there's something wrong with the rom everytime you run the game (you can get rid of this box on both pj64k and Mupen64). I prefer the ladder, since I just removed the error message boxes. I did some hex editing on pj64kve so that the n64 ram addresses are static like in every other emulator and removed the message boxes that warn you when running "bad roms" . So with the hacked pj64kve, you can conveniently use cheat engine since I already made a table for it.

Edit: Loving Mupen64++. Thanks KnitePhox :) . The gui is much better than mupen64k and isn't buggy at all.

Last edited:

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Okay so I remember when I was new to smash 64 and was reading obscure comments deep into threads and I just remembered (I believe) someone saying something about being able to DI in a way to help you avoid death from a pikachu down-b "thunder spike." Anyone have any knowledge on this? What direction, if any, helps?

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
if you mean DI'ing the thunder, DI down would be the only thing that makes sense
if you mean DI'ing the u-smash, pikachu can adjust and there's nothing you can do

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
if you mean DI'ing the thunder, DI down would be the only thing that makes sense
if you mean DI'ing the u-smash, pikachu can adjust and there's nothing you can do
The thunder. I don't want to know what makes sense, I want to know which is the best direction haha. I remember reading it as though they had tested it in TAS, but I could be incorrect in my memory. I know down makes the most sense, just wanted to know if anybody has any frame data on it because I'm too lazy to scour through threads right now.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I don't want to know what makes sense, I want to know which is the best direction
down. DI'ing is not rocket science. if a move is gonna kill towards one direction, you DI the opposite way. I don't see any need for frame data given the simplicity of the scenario.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Okay so I remember when I was new to smash 64 and was reading obscure comments deep into threads and I just remembered (I believe) someone saying something about being able to DI in a way to help you avoid death from a pikachu down-b "thunder spike." Anyone have any knowledge on this? What direction, if any, helps?
That was probably me. I had (maybe still have) that idea because this one time I hit peek with like 9 utilt->thunders at percents that shoulda killed and he claimed that his DI saved him and I believed (maybe still believe) him.

It kinda makes sense--thunder doesn't send you that far, you die cuz you're near the ceiling already so you can "survival DI" it more easily that you could other kill moves. THAT SAID, thinking about it now you'd need some pretty sick DI to make a real difference . BUT you're ready for thunder so you could DI it pretty hard. It probably makes some minimal difference, it's probably saved someone at some point.

Last edited:

B Link

Smash Lord
If you're talking about surviving death from the top blast zone (i.e. after getting upsmashed):

I TAS'd this before and battlecow is right, pretty much. You will likely die anyway in a lot of cases, even with perfect DI. In rare cases, if you weren't at that high a percentage, your DI -could- save you.

In TAS, I recall the maximum DI frames being 8 or so (with slide DI). The best way to DI is down, as mixa said. But to be more specific: you should slide DI across the bottom two "diagonals" if you wanna go maximally downwards. If you just smash DI'd you'd only get 4 inputs or so.

Last edited:

Madao

If you're talking about surviving death from the top blast zone (i.e. after getting upsmashed):

I TAS'd this before and battlecow is right, pretty much. You will likely die anyway in a lot of cases, even with perfect DI. In rare cases, if you weren't at that high a percentage, your DI -could- save you.

In TAS, I recall the maximum DI frames being 8 or so (with slide DI). The best way to DI is down, as mixa said. But to be more specific: you should slide DI across the bottom two "diagonals" if you wanna go maximally downwards. If you just smash DI'd you'd only get 4 inputs or so.
If you're very fast with DI, then it could very well save you. A fresh thunder attack (just the projectile) will give you 13 frames of hitlag. With DI, you can move 168 per frame. It's usefulness does depend on the character you play as. DI'ing with heavy characters have a greater chance of survival in this case.
What does that do?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
instant taskkill pj64k.exe, then reopen, then goes to file, then start netplay

all in the blink of a LAGOUT or a DS you go back to the select server screen

Thanks JaimeHR

Madao

instant taskkill pj64k.exe, then reopen, then goes to file, then start netplay

all in the blink of a LAGOUT or a DS you go back to the select server screen

Thanks JaimeHR
The idea is quite brilliant. Idk why I didn't think of doing that, considering I love to use/make hotkeys. Unfortunately it messes up on my computer, so I just wrote my own AHK script, so now I set up almost instantly :) . AHK is pretty sick. Now time for me to work on some patches. I'm open for ideas (as long as they are simple).

Also, in the Mupen64++ beta, I saw there was a gameshark dll. Does gameshark work on it? If not, it'l be a hassle making a cheat engine table ;/.

Edit: @ mixa mixa I made your patch, although I haven't figured out the player port code yet. 5 stock, start in vs mode, default stage = dreamland, no items, unlock everything, lv 9 cpu in vs mode.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
So @ Smasherx74 Smasherx74 and @ NovaSmash NovaSmash threw these hissy fits today and I kept seeing the word "angle" being thrown around. Like "you can't ****ing angle" or "you don't have angle" or whatever the hell they said. So I had a question, in this context, what the **** does "angle" mean? Am I just getting old or is this some kind of ghetto white trash slang that my education and upbringing never introduced to me?

Madao

Is it normal that the J version on emulator has black horizontal lines in VS mode?
I figure I might as well test J version after stumbling upon a site with J version cheat codes. I saw that they ported some of my codes :) . I wish they talked on here so we could exchange a lot of information.

@ mixa mixa You basically wanted to switch the ports just to change the spawning right? It might be easier for me to just change the spawn location in dreamland, although I haven't tried it yet.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
So @ Smasherx74 Smasherx74 and @ NovaSmash NovaSmash threw these hissy fits today and I kept seeing the word "angle" being thrown around. Like "you can't ****ing angle" or "you don't have angle" or whatever the hell they said. So I had a question, in this context, what the **** does "angle" mean? Am I just getting old or is this some kind of ghetto white trash slang that my education and upbringing never introduced to me?

For example, Jigglypuff's Nair, you approach with it from a pretty horizontal Angle. Another example, Luigi's Dair. You want to angle your self so you are coming down with space between you and the other person's move, so if they are link and do Uair you want to space out to the left or right while coming down to get your hitbox around their up hitbox and hit them from the side. Angle refers to this.

Top Bottom