• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
I'm still looking for a way to replay games with cheats files on.
I've been using .KREC files with the playback function in Kaillera to FRAPS games, but I can't seem to get camera & HUD modifiers to apply.

Any ideas on what I could do?
Are KREC files the best (or only) way to save replays at a low file size?
Someone said "Madao" may be able to help, does anyone know his details?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Can you remind me what was it you're trying to do? Do you plan on recording a match, then replay it with your cheats or TAS a match, then record with your cheats?

And what do you mean by "can't seem to get camera & HUD modifiers to apply"? Does is work in mupen but not in PJ? Does it only work while recording and not while replaying?

KRECs files are Project64's format for recorded matches, but each emulator with a recording option will have a different format I believe. If your goal were to TAS a match, then you'd be using Mupen and its own recording option which isn't KREC.

Madao posts here regularly, but maybe you could try sending him a PM.

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
Can you remind me what was it you're trying to do? Do you plan on recording a match, then replay it with your cheats or TAS a match, then record with your cheats?

And what do you mean by "can't seem to get camera & HUD modifiers to apply"? Does is work in mupen but not in PJ? Does it only work while recording and not while replaying?

KRECs files are Project64's format for recorded matches, but each emulator with a recording option will have a different format I believe. If your goal were to TAS a match, then you'd be using Mupen and its own recording option which isn't KREC.

Madao posts here regularly, but maybe you could try sending him a PM.

I want to record a match that's already been played (say on Kaillera) and then replay with cheats on, such as Invisible HUD and Camera Modifiers.

When I replay the matches I have record, and I turn on Gameshark codes, they don't affect the playback.
& I can't record the matches with cheats on as it is not practical and causes ds.

I understand the whole idea of file extensions, but I am unaware of any other method of recording other than screen capturing during the actual game itself.

and thanks, I'll pm him in case he doesn't see here.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Ah well that's more complicated if you don't want to TAS it. You could still use mupen to play the match and record with its built-in function. You'd have to find a mupen 64k version and both players would have to use it. I've never tried recording online with mupen 64k, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. That way you can get rid of the codes necessity and use directly the Cheatengine table. The only problem I can think of with this solution is if you want to change camera settings every few frames (that problem would still be there even if cheats worked in PJ though).

mixa

Banned via Warnings
How can I unlock everything of the (J) version on Mupen? If the only way is to play through, could someone share a save file with me?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Thanks, M!nt! That worked.

I'm using Mupen so I can frame advance. The save states seem more stable too.

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
Ah well that's more complicated if you don't want to TAS it. You could still use mupen to play the match and record with its built-in function. You'd have to find a mupen 64k version and both players would have to use it. I've never tried recording online with mupen 64k, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. That way you can get rid of the codes necessity and use directly the Cheatengine table. The only problem I can think of with this solution is if you want to change camera settings every few frames (that problem would still be there even if cheats worked in PJ though).

Thanks.
Where can I find the most stable release of Mupen64k?
Why would we both have to have it? Is it not possible to play across different emulators?
Is there an explanation or thread about the Cheatengine table? I haven't encountered it yet.

And I shouldn't need to change the codes during the match. I would record the entire match with different cheats on an patch together in a moviemaker.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Using different emulators would cause desynch I believe. As I said, I've never used mupen64k, so just google it and try?

Mixa made a video guide explaining how to use Cheatengine with its explanation:

In the beginning, clicking on the little computer button in the Cheat Engine window and selecting Mupen (00001A04-mupen64-rerecording.exe, or something similar) is how you connect the game to the cheat engine.

When I selected an address, I pressed Enter to modify the Value.

Near the end I froze 4 addresses, (put red Xs on the boxes), for that I pressed Spacebar.

For the blue and pink sections:

Right-click the first address, hold shift, right-click the last address of that same color, press enter, type in the number, press enter again.

For the invincibility glitch, I put F0. That doesn't always work. You have to guess numbers (10, 20, 30, etc).

And you can download the table here (I don't know if it is the most updated one containing what you're looking for).

Oh I didn't think of recording several times with different settings lol, good idea.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Pooncahontas, that guide is for getting to that clean screen for frame recording. If you don't understand something, ask and I'll try to answer. Though I'll tell you right now I'm not that good at Cheat Engine, and there is not a Rotating Camera address for it.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I couldn't re-watch the video so I wasn't sure if it was just a basic cheat engine guide or the whole process for framedisplay. In both cases it explains how to use it though.

And Pooncahontas, you can find more camera settings addresses in the Frame Display thread (one of Madao's last posts).

M!nt

Smash Champion
nobody goes to demon cat :C

totally meant to post this in social thread lol

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
So I downloaded the "be-all end-all" pack to play online and when I play offline the cheats all work and what-not. But when I try to create my own game online the cheats are never loaded, how do I fix this?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
So I downloaded the "be-all end-all" pack to play online and when I play offline the cheats all work and what-not. But when I try to create my own game online the cheats are never loaded, how do I fix this?
Try resetting the cheats before you go into vs. mode

Sedda

Smash Champion
could anyone direct me to a good DK match where his essentials are displayed? I decided I'm gonna main DK because why not

wapwapnow

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I am very new to smash and would like some help if that's ok. I main Kirby and my questions are..

1. Kirby vs. Pikachu(my friend mains Pika).

I cannot beat him 1 on 1. He always grabs me before I can even have time to grab him, he dodges all my attacks and then hit me with the head drill that Pikachu does. Whenever I run toward him, he always jump and then moves left and right mid air making me miss when I try to attack.

My biggest weakness is knowing what I want to do but cannot do the moves at all! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Some examples are...

-When I see him running towards me, I try to do the pivot up-tilt where Kirby does the back kick, I end up doing the spin. Do you guys know what I'm talking about with Kirby mid air spin move? I see good players do the pivot up-tilt without messing up. I don't know why it happens to me.

-Another one is short hop/mid air drill kick. I cannot do that whenever I want. I can only do it when I'm running at that direction. If I'm running to the left then I can only drill on the left, same goes for the right.

Those are the two moves I have trouble with.

I hope someone knowledgeable can help out a noob trying to learn smash64, thx. :)

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys, I am very new to smash and would like some help if that's ok. I main Kirby and my questions are..

1. Kirby vs. Pikachu(my friend mains Pika).

I cannot beat him 1 on 1. He always grabs me before I can even have time to grab him, he dodges all my attacks and then hit me with the head drill that Pikachu does. Whenever I run toward him, he always jump and then moves left and right mid air making me miss when I try to attack.

My biggest weakness is knowing what I want to do but cannot do the moves at all! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Some examples are...

-When I see him running towards me, I try to do the pivot up-tilt where Kirby does the back kick, I end up doing the spin. Do you guys know what I'm talking about with Kirby mid air spin move? I see good players do the pivot up-tilt without messing up. I don't know why it happens to me.

-Another one is short hop/mid air drill kick. I cannot do that whenever I want. I can only do it when I'm running at that direction. If I'm running to the left then I can only drill on the left, same goes for the right.

Those are the two moves I have trouble with.

I hope someone knowledgeable can help out a noob trying to learn smash64, thx. :)

Do you know how to z-cancel? also instead of trying pivot Utilts maybe start out trying pivot away from him and Fsmashing it's a bit easier and could catch him off guard if he think's you're just gonna mess up and jump in the air and Uair. And I'm not understanding the problem you're having with SH Dair. Can you not do it just standing still? what I did to get good at short hopping was learning to slide my finger off the down C button really fast and trying to do an aerial attack right after and then z cancel after. Maybe go to training mode and practice all of the thing's you see you're doing wrong and try perfecting them it could take 5 minutes it could take 30 minutes but if you practice short hops and pivot utilts enough you should be able to get it where it's just muscle memory and you can do these things without thinking about what your hands are doing.

If you rreeeeaaaaallllyyyy want to win just try waiting for him and timing Utilts to counter all his aerial attacks if he usually comes from above. Don't try to get close and spam grab as pika's grab is dangerous and if you want to approach use Bair. Learn to read your friends up b recovery because he probably makes the same angles and read where he's gonna go and catch him with down air off the edge

M!nt

Smash Champion
Use fair,bair,nair,uair and dair to refer to aerials it's easier to understand what you mean.
f-forward, b-backward, n-neutral, d-down, u-up

Do you know how to zcancel? that will help you a ton. You need to predict what pikachu is going to do in a situation. If you know he's going to run and try to grab you uptilt or short hob dair him. Kirby v Pikachu is really hard imo, but if you can space well to avoid his grabs and aerials you can win! I'm not that good with kirby so maybe someone else can give you some better tips.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
dont try to out-grab grab him since kirby's grab isnt that good. you said he likes to jump back then attack forward with forward-air so try to approach him in a way that will get him to do that and when he does just wait him out then time a good u-tilt. Pivot u-tilt is pretty hard so like stylisland said pivot f-smash is much easier and very effective. kirby's f-smash in general is really really good in low level fights so try that instead of grabbing. Also once you learn to z-cancel using kirbies dair followed by uptilt is very effective

Annex

Smash Ace
So I shouldn't really be giving out advice, but check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TLzhnZwoi4

Look at every single time Moogle got hit. They were all when his kirby was facing pika. If you're facing away you have your bair ready, and of course that utilt, and those will cover you from nearly all the approaches pika has.

tl;dr looking at your opponent is for scrubs

wapwapnow

Smash Rookie
Woo, thanks for all the advice guys, awesome! I will try and take all the advice in, slowly. It will take me months but I will make sure I do, I'm a slow learner unfortunately.

As for the video supersteve, thanks a lot man! All the videos I find of Kirby vs. Pikachu are only like 3 minutes long. Finally a 30 min video!

Sorry for the confusion earlier guys, I think my main problem is how to do Up-Tilt. I cannot do it to save my life! Every time I do it, I get the UP-Ariel(spin move). Do I have to learn to Z-cancel to do the Up-Tilt?

Are there different ways of doing the up-tilt or am I just that bad? :(

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
To do tilts, you tilt the control stick in the direction you want and press A. It's easier to do dtilt because you can hold down to crouch and press A. With uptilt, you have to press it high enough to register as "pushing up" on the stick while not going all the way up to jump.

Z-canceling cancels all lag on aerial attacks (attacks that are done in the air with the A/R button). Pressing Z does nothing for tilts or smashes or B moves.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Hi there, Wizzy. There is a match-up chart made by Red (whatever that means) in March, 2012:

So you can see their positions in the rightmost column: Pika is 1st, DK is last, Yoshi is 10th...

Now that got me wondering about the process for that MU chart. Is there a lame thread somewhere on mixi with endless posts? Anyway, there's a bit more info (tourney-wise) here in this video thread.

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
What is Falcon's best stage? I mean obviously he does well on Dreamland but I feel like he is sneaky also good on Peach's. If your Falcon loses on Dreamland is there a rationale to counterpicking to Peach's?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Hi there, Wizzy. There is a match-up chart made by Red (whatever that means) in March, 2012:

So you can see their positions in the rightmost column: Pika is 1st, DK is last, Yoshi is 10th...

Now that got me wondering about the process for that MU chart. Is there a lame thread somewhere on mixi with endless posts? Anyway, there's a bit more info (tourney-wise) here in this video thread.
****ING THANK YOU when somebody (FourStar?) asked for Japanese tier list recently I searched for this **** for like an hour, I thought I was crazy and imagining its existence but not really because I distinctly remember King Funk posting this along with saying something like "Japan thinks Mario is overrated by noobs [so Mario's like the Ness of Japan] and Battlecow was like "inb4 Star King gloats about Mario [since he's always saying Mario's overrated]" and I was like "actually I was gonna wtf at Yoshi's placement first" because I mean dude is 6th really that bad, and he was like "don't lie to me" and I was like "ur ugly".

Sangoku

Smash Master
You couldn't find it because I wrote it here. King Funk wrote it in msn and I quoted him on smashboards. Too lazy to find and compare though.

Top Bottom