• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Annex

Smash Ace
supersteve, when you can't do technique, make sure that you:

1) know the input - I doubt that there is a complex chain of inputs in this game. even if the timing is hard, they're easy to grasp.
2) find out what you are doing wrong - when you try X, what comes out instead? from that you know if you're early or late (or wrong, if you didn't do learn the input properly)
1 - Right, yeah, that's what I was asking about.
2 - Ok, so for this it either didn't come out at all (too early) or came out way too late, so I wanted to know if there was maybe a shieldstun requirement or wonky input I didn't know about.

hold Up while pressing B and C at the same time.
C? Alright, wouldn't've guessed that, thanks.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
hmm why c as well?

although i don't suppose it makes a difference for most of the cast if you immediately upb upon jumping oos. i know there's a definite difference for bbygrl

C? Alright, wouldn't've guessed that, thanks.

It's easier and more consistent to just hold UP and mash C+B rather than mash UP+B constantly while in shield

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
hm. never tried that. but as i said, it's because samus's upb from the ground is different than her upb from the air. is there any other character with a difference like this? i know you put differences in the downb's for mario and luigi but i couldn't actually detect what was different...hmm

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I was lazy when wording that. I meant mario's up from the ground or from the air is the same, same for luigi.

unless this ^ is wrong too, then I'd like to hear more.

Vale

Smash Ace
Hey, this isn't a mechanics question, but I didn't really see anywhere else to ask.
Some of the people I play with have their thumbs hurt after one or two games. Would getting a thimble solve the problem, or would it not make a difference or even lead to having less control over the character? If a thimble wouldn't work, what should we do?

M!nt

Smash Champion
how do you hurt your thumb using an analog stick, especially after only 1 or 2 games wth.

I guess wear mittens? Sorry, I never had this problem.

Vale

Smash Ace
how do you hurt your thumb using an analog stick, especially after only 1 or 2 games wth.

I guess wear mittens? Sorry, I never had this problem.

I'm just as confused as you are. I'll see how that works next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Hey, this isn't a mechanics question, but I didn't really see anywhere else to ask.
Some of the people I play with have their thumbs hurt after one or two games. Would getting a thimble solve the problem, or would it not make a difference or even lead to having less control over the character? If a thimble wouldn't work, what should we do?
My thumb actually hurts as well if I play for several hours in a row on controller. Not sure what to do though. I actually tried sandpapering my Hori to maybe make it softer but it didn't really do anything. And original has plastic instead of the Hori's rubber so that's pretty much a lost cause. Maybe put felt on it or something.

I don't have this problem with other controllers, just N64 pretty much :| it seems rougher than most modern ones

clubbadubba

Smash Master
People who don't play smash all the time like us aren't used to it. This is a pretty common problem, no fix really except to keep playing. After a few weeks they'd be fine.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
After putting in a decent amount of time, the pain should go away. If you play enough, you develop minor calluses which will prevent the pain. I've gone on 7-8 hour console binges and with no pain at all. 1 or 2 games to begin hurting sounds ridiculous, because it used to take me several hours to feel pain when I was only playing the game like once a week as a casual.

Vale

Smash Ace
After putting in a decent amount of time, the pain should go away. If you play enough, you develop minor calluses which will prevent the pain. I've gone on 7-8 hour console binges and with no pain at all. 1 or 2 games to begin hurting sounds ridiculous, because it used to take me several hours to feel pain when I was only playing the game like once a week as a casual.

Every once in a while we play around 6-7 sets on 4 stocks, and the next few days are always reduced. Today, I only played one game on one stock before the other person stopped playing. I guess I just don't have the problem because I play consistently for at least an hour a day and basically all of the weekend, and have been since elementary school. I'd be tempted to say this was some kind of john, but it happens when we wreck CPUs in team battles as well.
Considering there's apparently some kind of pain involved in playing, I think the solution of a glove/mitten/whatever is probably the better choice.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
There are smaller gloves that only cover the front of the palm and a small bit of the finger usually used for those going to the gym (in order to prevent sores from lifting the metal weights) that would work well as well

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
I have a question for TO's

How do you usually go about getting event discount rates at hotels? Do you have to use the hotel as a venue, or can you have another venue and say you're hosting an event and would like to use their location for lodging and such? Also, are there certain chain hotels where you're pretty much guaranteed event rates I.E. Holiday Inn, Hilton, Wyndam?

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
Quick question, sometimes I'll see a CPU Samus cancel her charge shot without her shield coming out, while staying grounded the whole time. How do you do that?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
lightly press z. i do it by pressing the bottom of z, close to where it stands out against the shell. it should make a snap sound.

mixa

Banned via Warnings

Samus is faster too.

It's way harder than DK punch without shield. I think if you hold z for more than a frame or two a shield comes out.
Yeah, it's only one frame. I shield with my pinky so I never get it.

Yeah, DK's is a lot easier and a lot more useful too, since you can change directions.
Although maybe you can do that with Samus too?
As Samus I like to run offstage, turn around with B and grab the ledge.
Then ledgehop, turn around with B again and jump to the stage with an aerial.

I like to practice all that but before I run offstage I cancel the run animation at the edge, pivot, and then run offstage.

Annex

Smash Ace
Yeah, DK's is a lot easier and a lot more useful too, since you can change directions.
Although maybe you can do that with Samus too?

M!nt

Smash Champion
Does anyone else get logged out of smashboards everytime they leave the site? It's really annoying me.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Yeah i'm sure, it keeps me logged in when clicking stuff on the site, but if I use my bookmark to go back to the smash 64 discussion page or go to smashboards from a link it signs me out ; __ ;

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
It's way harder than DK punch without shield. I think if you hold z for more than a frame or two a shield comes out.
It's funny when CPU's do it, because they'll perfect cancel it 5 times in a row. Possible programmed mindgames maybe?

Annex

Smash Ace
Or just ****ty AI.
Something similar is when you see Yoshis parry, which happens a lot. I think that requires a 1 frame tap too.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Or just ****ty AI.
Something similar is when you see Yoshis parry, which happens a lot. I think that requires a 1 frame tap too.
From one of my post:
To parry an attack, you just need to shield from 4 frames before getting touched to 1 frame before getting touched, it doesn't matter if you continue shielding so that the egg comes out or not.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
but there's a certain amount of time you hold the shield button before yoshi's egg comes out, right? that is, if you hold the z button for one frame and release, yoshi looks like he does an utilt. 2 frames to 4 frames or w/e, the egg will come out but receive no shield stun. longer than that, the egg comes out and you receive stun.

also take note i don't know frame count or anything, just saying

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
SH uair > dair with Mario:

Timing or spam?
Also is it impossible to do with a slanted SH?

EDIT: Also, is Mario's DownB recovery supposed to be the same difficulty as Luigi's? In terms of how high you get per input and all that

Annex

Smash Ace

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about the first one but for the second one:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2r...tOGViMzhhYzFlZDYz/edit?hl=en&authkey=CL-r_oAL (page 10). And not to be a **** but that is linked in the index.

I've read that thing like 500 times. It only mentions that the max height is the same, nothing about linearity. I would assume each input counts for the same amount but figured I'd ask as I find myself seemingly going much higher on Luigi (more than him being taller can take into account). Figured I'd ask.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
No worries. Looking back at my post, I think I came off as a little aggressive. Wasn't my intention. I appreciate you trying to answer.

Also, if you really are a DK main, I appreciate that too

Sangoku

Smash Master
Cobr: pretty sure it's more than 1 frame, but I'd have to check.

Tom: this has been discussed somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Maybe Mario's thread. So I personally think timing is better. And slanted short hop is possible but frame perfect. Finally Mario's tornado is definitely harder than Luigi's, although their maximum height are the same.

Annex

Smash Ace
No worries. Looking back at my post, I think I came off as a little aggressive. Wasn't my intention. I appreciate you trying to answer.

Also, if you really are a DK main, I appreciate that too
:laugh: you're fine, don't worry about it.

And he's my favorite to play and who I play the most, but according to some your main is who you're best with, so I might be lying.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
My controller has a massive deadzone and default stick, and I'm looking to replace it

Anyone with recommended/preferred replacement stick?

edit: to clarify, I'd like it to be more like the gamecube control stick, I don't want just another n64 control stick. All the replacement options I've seen are just worse quality versions of the n64 joystick. Messing with electronics and casework to get a nicer stick isn't something I feel particularly confident in, nor do I really have the tools for it right now.

Sangoku

Smash Master
My controller has a massive deadzone and default stick, and I'm looking to replace it

Anyone with recommended/preferred replacement stick?

edit: to clarify, I'd like it to be more like the gamecube control stick, I don't want just another n64 control stick. All the replacement options I've seen are just worse quality versions of the n64 joystick. Messing with electronics and casework to get a nicer stick isn't something I feel particularly confident in, nor do I really have the tools for it right now.
Have you already checked this thread?

Top Bottom