• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

firo

Smash Ace
Hardest part in melee for me is actually having lag after ariels and grabs. I keep trying to do stuff immediately and it messes me up.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
going 64 to melee is really hard, you have to pretend the games are unrelated or else you will be sidestepping on platforms all damn day
this is the thorn in my side when i play melee

it's gotten to the point that i just avoid stages with platforms because once i'm on a 'form and shielding, i literally have no clue what to do

asianaussie

Smash Hero
apparently you can get it consistent using a 45 degree angle stick tilt, but i don't have enough vested interest in the game to bother practising, nor do i even own a gamecube (though i do have a copy of melee, interestingly enough)

Battlecow

Play to Win
I was better at melee than anyone in my area before I ever played it lol

skillz transfer

Also get rid of hyrule and a lot of the prollems melee peeps have get fixed IMO

Although maybe apex vids will prove me wrong on that idk

kys

Smash Ace
if you can usmash it seems like you should be able to stick hop...
If you turn your sensitivity so far down that you can't stick hop... you can't dash, fast fall, do smash attacks, and your horizontal air movement suffers immensely.
I meant it's turned down so that I don't get the full stick hop. Of course I can still dash, fast fall, smash, etc.

M!nt

Smash Champion
if you mean easiest to learn then kirby.
to learn skills I would play as link, you learn real quick because of how necessary they can be and its the most punishable.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Is there a DI thread anywhere.
I can Ledge DI pretty good, but dont know how to do any other DI lol.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Sorry I'm blind and stupid, can you please point it straight to my face.

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
thanks for responding so quickly and thoroughly to my question before(i had been adamant about only stick jumping even for short hops all my life, now i realize c jumps are 10000000 times easier and better and have to break my habit. fml.)

anyway, i was wondering if there was a way to play ssb64 online on a mac. And yes i know macs are for the type of person who eats pb+j sandwiches without bread, but thats the type of person who buys computers for my school, laaaawwwwlll
i have managed to run p64k through wine but it always crashes whenever i start an online game.
If anyone has managed to do this suggestions would be appreciated!

M!nt

Smash Champion
uhh
boot camp is the only option I can think of.
mupen is available too i think, but good luck finding someone using it.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Bootcamp or VMWare would be your best bet. I hope you have a spare XP license lying around!

I know that PJ64 works with VMWare Fusion on a regular Macbook, but I haven't tried online. It probably won't work because I've had trouble doing network things on a virtual machine. You may have better luck with Bootcamp, though since it boots up your Windows OS separately.

M!nt

Smash Champion
lol extra XP license, shouldn't be too hard to "acquire".
almost like none of the plugins work under wine on linux, it was horrible.
VMware should work or get virtualbox its free and pretty good.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Plenty of options! And I've pirated a lot of things in my time, but strangely never modern OSs. Probably because engineering students get free licenses out the wazoo. :awesome:

Last I heard, Win7 (and maybe Vista but who cares about Vista) were mildly challenging to validate, but maybe I'm just hearing from inept people. I have a loader that claims to do the job for you, though...

However, Win2000 and anything before that is laughably easy to pirate! Ah, the good ol' days, where the same license could be used infinitely and Microsoft rarely blacklisted them.

Ahem, but yes, I'm sure you'd just have to fiddle with and configure the network connections to work with a virtual machine or something and theoretically, it could work!
Theoretically...

M!nt

Smash Champion
You don't have to fiddle with nothing really, it works pretty smooth, one of the reasons people use virtualization software is to play games. I played tf2 with it and it worked like a charm.

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
sorry I didn't make this clear before,but I was actually talking about something that doesn't require admin access such as some Mac netplay emulator. the only place I actually use Macs are in my computer science class where I finish all the classwork within 2 seconds and then proceed to be bored for the rest of the time. and why can't I give myself admin access via root user/ install disc and then install windows? well ill tell you a true story from my actions of last year.

so I decided to rebel against apple one day and created a bunch of local admins on the school library computers and proceeded to install windows. everyone was like "wow that's awesome" except for the school computer tech Guy who was like "wtf windows is for ****" and then spent 2 weeks uninstalling windows ( lol noob)

so that's not a very viable option. I've gotten mupen64plus with the wx frontend working but it appears to lack netplay capabilities. is there a Mac version of mupen64++ ( different than mupen64plus)? or I know this is wishful thinking but even pj64k ported for Mac?

apcs is so boring without ssb!!

PS the win7 loader works perfectly for me, I've had my pirated copy of win7 for around 2 years now and it still hasn't died on me!
pps I've done my share of pirating as well, I don't know if I should admit it here, so lets just say I may or may not have burned about a hundred ps2/Wii/gc games onto discs. most of them I haven't even played yet, considering how long I play one game once I find it interesting. I probably got sucked up into Mario kart double dash time trailing for almost six months if that gives you an idea.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I remember people saying it was a pseudo shieldbreak, so I assume it's not legit. I can try it sometime.

Oh in fact it's not legit because it's not enough to break a full shield:
20 (fair) + 17 (ftilt) + 16 (upb) = 53 < 55

But the hits link together, which means that if the opponent doesn't have a full shield, you'll be able to break it that way.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
sorry I didn't make this clear before,but I was actually talking about something that doesn't require admin access such as some Mac netplay emulator. the only place I actually use Macs are in my computer science class where I finish all the classwork within 2 seconds and then proceed to be bored for the rest of the time. and why can't I give myself admin access via root user/ install disc and then install windows? well ill tell you a true story from my actions of last year.

so I decided to rebel against apple one day and created a bunch of local admins on the school library computers and proceeded to install windows. everyone was like "wow that's awesome" except for the school computer tech Guy who was like "wtf windows is for ****" and then spent 2 weeks uninstalling windows ( lol noob)

so that's not a very viable option. I've gotten mupen64plus with the wx frontend working but it appears to lack netplay capabilities. is there a Mac version of mupen64++ ( different than mupen64plus)? or I know this is wishful thinking but even pj64k ported for Mac?

apcs is so boring without ssb!!

PS the win7 loader works perfectly for me, I've had my pirated copy of win7 for around 2 years now and it still hasn't died on me!
pps I've done my share of pirating as well, I don't know if I should admit it here, so lets just say I may or may not have burned about a hundred ps2/Wii/gc games onto discs. most of them I haven't even played yet, considering how long I play one game once I find it interesting. I probably got sucked up into Mario kart double dash time trailing for almost six months if that gives you an idea.
There is sixtyforce, which is an N64 emulator for Mac, but I don't think it has netplay options. You might be **** out of luck, bro, since I'm pretty sure netplay will only work on Windows...

Oddly enough, I have yet to hack my Wii! Probably because I don't have time for games as it is, and would probably get kicked out of school if I "made" time. Don't have a PS2, but PCSX2 works well enough on my ****ty laptop to get decent gameplay out of a few games, notably TimeSplitters and Kingdom Hearts 1&2. I'm planning on building a desktop one of these days, and for all intents and purposes, that will be my Playstation 2. Damn, PS2 with emulation benefits and an Xbox 360 controller is too good.

Sangoku

Smash Master
PS2 emulation going well enough on a ****ty laptop?

I have a i7 2630QM and a Nvidia GT 550M and while some games run perfectly, some only run semi-decently (40ish fps on average, with sometimes 30, sometimes 50-60). Is my laptop ****ty too? Or is your definition of "well enough" not the same as I understand?

M!nt

Smash Champion
PCSX2 isn't that demanding
My computer has a dual core 2.20 GHz CPU and I can play them pretty good, although I do have 4 GB of RAM and a 1GB graphics card lawl. I'm not sure of the specs of recent laptops, but they shouldn't be too much worse than what have considering my PC is like 8 years old.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I remember people saying it was a pseudo shieldbreak, so I assume it's not legit. I can try it sometime.

Oh in fact it's not legit because it's not enough to break a full shield:
20 (fair) + 17 (ftilt) + 16 (upb) = 53 < 55

But the hits link together, which means that if the opponent doesn't have a full shield, you'll be able to break it that way.
Can the weak hit of the up-B potentially hit after the strong one and break the shield? FTilt does 18 damage BTW.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
PCSX2 isn't that demanding
My computer has a dual core 2.20 GHz CPU and I can play them pretty good, although I do have 4 GB of RAM and a 1GB graphics card lawl. I'm not sure of the specs of recent laptops, but they shouldn't be too much worse than what have considering my PC is like 8 years old.
recent laptops can definitely run PCSX, i've even run games like melty blood on a 1GB crappy lifebook tablet (full speed, though graphics were gitchy)

funnily enough the same laptop couldn't take smash 64 at 60fps

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I have a 2.4 GHz DuoCore processor with a Radeon 4330 at 256MB of VRAM. Oh, and 4GB of RAM, but that's overkill. My graphics card is the bottleneck here. Some games run OK with speed hacks and native resolution, but just barely. You need to fiddle with the settings regardless of your setup if you want optimal play.

PCSX2 is more graphics card intensive, while Dolphin is more processor intensive (my processor still isn't good enough to run Dolphin smoothly). You can, however, run PCSX2 in software mode which just uses the processor, but again, you'll need one hell of a CPU to get anything out of it. And if you do, you probably have a good GPU (unless you've got one of the 8-core 3.2 GHz engineering machines at my school that runs integrated graphics....)

Sangoku

Smash Master
Can the weak hit of the up-B potentially hit after the strong one and break the shield? FTilt does 18 damage BTW.
The weak hit hits the character, not the shield. Maybe I'm wrong with ftilt, but that's what I have in the table of the shield thread. Might have to check again.

And semp: as I said I have a i7 2630QM, a GT 550M and 8GB of RAM, is that enough to make it run well? Maybe I should try software mode...

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
And semp: as I said I have a i7 2630QM, a GT 550M and 8GB of RAM, is that enough to make it run well? Maybe I should try software mode...
That honestly should be more than enough to run most games better than well. I dunno what your problem is. What games are you having issues with? Might want to give the compatibility list a looksee.

http://pcsx2.net/compat.php

Check your graphics settings and make sure you're using the latest DirectX, although it shouldn't make too much of a difference. Check resolution settings and scaling as well.

I host a download for the emulator on my school's DC++ hub, and I wrote a little configuration guide. It was written for 0.9.7, so some things might be out of date since the current version is 0.9.8, but I think I fixed some of the major changes. You'll get the gist of it. Hopefully it helps a little.

Included are versions 0.9.7 and 0.9.8, although I'd recommend 0.9.8 since it's the latest.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mcr4fkbh86dk2p7

The Star King

Smash Hero
The weak hit hits the character, not the shield. Maybe I'm wrong with ftilt, but that's what I have in the table of the shield thread. Might have to check again.

Uh, why can't the weak hit hit the shield? And FTilt does 18 damage on characters, IDK if attacks can have negative shield damage lol

Sangoku

Smash Master
Semp: the games I was playing was Yakuza 1 and 2. It was playable, but far from full speed. Thanks for the download, I'll try it out when I have time :).

SK: well it's probably because the strong hit doesn't have enough shield stun. And I don't know about the ftilt, I'll test again sometime.

:phone:

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
are there any moves, sans projectiles, that do not have a reverse hitbox?

someone hit me with a ness reverse fsmash today and it got me thinking is all

thanks in advance

The Star King

Smash Hero
Sans grabs too. And moves with only vertical knockback I guess, since you can't really tell.

yw ciaza

And I remember reading somewhere that reverse hitboxes are not a specific hitbox that moves have but a universal hitbox trait based off which side of your hurtbox the hitbox hits you. Based off this all moves can have reverse hitboxes. I could be wrong though.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
I have this weird feeling that you can make it much more difficult for someone to DI out of Samus' upB if you move samus in the direction they are DIing.

Anyone notice this, or able to test it?

Top Bottom