• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

The Star King

Smash Hero
OK thanks. I think I've asked before and you were the one who gave the link before too lol

You can do the same thing for DIing up and down, despite him doing something else in the video. Just shake your controller up and down instead of left and right.

Thanks, I was talking about this in the Facebook group and nobody knew what I was talking about :p

TANK64

Smash Lord
I was searching for that vid for like an hour yesterday, thanks. I feel awkward favoriting it lol.
Also, this is an unnecessary method BUT OK, now people can stop asking about it...

asianaussie

Smash Hero
@DMoogle

Has that request for competitive event merging gone through yet? This has actually more-or-less killed competitive online activity, it needs to be remedied now. This coming from somebody who doesn't even use those forums.

DMoogle

A$
@DMoogle

Has that request for competitive event merging gone through yet? This has actually more-or-less killed competitive online activity, it needs to be remedied now. This coming from somebody who doesn't even use those forums.
Sorry, I haven't posted it yet. I get distracted really easily with stuff like this. I will now.

EDIT: Posted. Thanks for reminding me. Hopefully we get a positive result.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
When i host matches on kaillera the damage is frozen at zero. Characters recieve propper knockback, but the damatron wont display the accurate dammage.
help me please?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
sounds like you have a cheat activated that does that. During emulation, try settings -> gameshark codes (cheats) and look for the cheat that might be causing that and turn it off.

p3hndrx

Smash Rookie
Assistance with N64 controller & Project64k Config

Howdy, folks---

I am trying to get my game client config'd and set-up with my N64 controller(s) + netplay.
My buddy and I are looking to jump into the next gen and play with some of you community folks.

My rig:

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (3.0Ghz)
GeForce 8800GTS (320MB)
Asus Crosshair (1stGen) - 8GB DDR2
Windows7 x64 / Ubuntu 11.04LTS

I have downloaded and installed:
Project64k v.33 Core 1.4 (with Netplay Support)
Project64k 1.6

And I'm using one of two N64 Stock Controller(s) with this adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Playstation-PS2-PC-Adapter-Cable-pc/dp/B0009VJ376

I have used this walk-through for the rudimentary set-up:
http://www.sitesled.com/members/myztek/index.html

Emulation looks fantastic; great FPS.

And now I'm coming into some problems with my controller configuration
1) Movement of my cursor through the menu/char select is sluggish or has poor range.
2) I cannot tap Up/Down/Left/Right + A (smash)
3) I cannot Left/Right + Z (roll)
4) I cannot Up/Down + B (special)
5) I cannot double tap-to-run

*per the suggestion on this thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=309042&highlight=adapter
I have purchased one of these USB adapters instead:
http://www.amazon.com/May-Flash-Controller-Adapter-Nintendo-64/dp/B002B9FIUU. It should be in the mail within the next couple of days.

I have calibrated the controller using Windows and mapped the buttons in Project64k.

Other than that, I do not know what else I can do to resolve the Direction/tap issue(s).

ALSO.....
Where can I get information about hosting/joining team SSB64 battles on Kaillera?
I am very familiar with port forwarding at home, if I need to set-up a Kaillera Server for Team Battles.

Thanks for your help!

The Star King

Smash Hero
It sounds like your control issues are caused by a low Analog Stick range. On your emulator, go to Options -> Configure Controller Plugin and increase your stick range.

Team battles and SSB online in general is mostly played on a server called Galaxy64. The IP is 69.172.242.50 (change Kaillera mode to "Client" and paste that into "Custom IP").

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Looking through that topic, I found a post of mine:

Okay, follow these steps:

1. Open control panel.
2. Under the Hardware and Sound section, click "View devices and printers".
3. Locate the gamepad and right click on it, selecting "Game controller settings".
4. Click Properties and then navigate to the Settings tab and click Calibrate.
5. Follow the instructions, paying careful attention to the joystick calibration. Continuously rotate the joysticks in circles until everything smooths out. Once finished, test it to make sure it works properly.

6. Download and put this plugin into your plugin folder: http://www.mediafire.com/?wsrq8ppoi1fquqq
6a. Be sure that you select this plugin by going to Options>Settings>Input Plugin>N-Rage's Direct-Input8 V2 2.2 beta
7. Set up the buttons inputs and everything, etc. etc.
8. Set your range to 75% (uncheck Real N64 Range) and your deadzone to 5% (if using a genuine N64 controller)
9. Uncheck Raw Data under one of the other tabs.
10. Everything should work perfectly.

There is no reason anything should go wrong if you do everything detailed here, making sure you calibrate correctly.
I would do that first, and then come back if you still have issues.

p3hndrx

Smash Rookie
I would do that first, and then come back if you still have issues.
Thanks!
I loaded N-Rages Direct-Input 8 v2.2.2b
*I was using N-Rage's Direct Input 8 v1.61

Using the settings you recommended, and it works great. Very clean, smash moves work great, mid-air attack response is pretty spectacular as well.
Other than the better graphics, the experience is nearly identical to the console.

Team battles and SSB online in general is mostly played on a server called Galaxy64. The IP is 69.172.242.50 (change Kaillera mode to "Client" and paste that into "Custom IP").
Thanks for the tip!
I think Galaxy (Chicago) is 69.172.242.150...

Question about team-play:
Can I set-up 2-users on this side even if I'm on Kaillera?
*e.g. Config Controller 2 for player 2, then leave spots 3+4 for others?

Also, are there any tips for helping with the PING latency?
I am getting average pings of +250ms... which is horrible.

Playing most 3D games, I average <20ms
I'm using RCN via a 20Mbps connection with static IP. ~Speedtest.net says I connect right around 14Mbps Down/2Mbps Up

I have attempted to forward ports via my Router and Disabling Windows Firewall.
Any other ideas?

Thanks once again.

The Star King

Smash Hero
There are two Galaxies and the IP you posted is the secondary one. People only go to that one if the first one is down. If both are down they usually go to West Wonderland or something.

No, unfortunately you can't have two players on the same emulator for kaillera.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Question about team-play:
Can I set-up 2-users on this side even if I'm on Kaillera?
*e.g. Config Controller 2 for player 2, then leave spots 3+4 for others?

Also, are there any tips for helping with the PING latency?
I am getting average pings of +250ms... which is horrible.
While you can't have two players on the same emulator... you CAN have two players on two separate emulators!

Open two instances of PJ64k and configure your online settings for both. You should be able to connect to each other on servers as if you were on separate computers. Not sure how it would work with a single adapter, but it should be doable; just gotta play with it a little.

Ping is how long it takes for data to go from you to the server. Where do you live? If it's anywhere in the US, you shouldn't be above 60-80ms. I don't know why you would have different pings for different games... guess I'm not too clear on what you're saying. You could try ping spoofing if you're on Ownasaurus's client (although I haven't really fiddled with that myself).

p3hndrx

Smash Rookie
While you can't have two players on the same emulator... you CAN have two players on two separate emulators!

Open two instances of PJ64k and configure your online settings for both. You should be able to connect to each other on servers as if you were on separate computers. Not sure how it would work with a single adapter, but it should be doable; just gotta play with it a little.

Ping is how long it takes for data to go from you to the server. Where do you live? If it's anywhere in the US, you shouldn't be above 60-80ms. I don't know why you would have different pings for different games... guess I'm not too clear on what you're saying. You could try ping spoofing if you're on Ownasaurus's client (although I haven't really fiddled with that myself).
Great suggestion!
Actually, I was successfully able to launch two copies of PJ64k to create a sort of.... "split-screen" arrangement... it works great!
I fixed my PING by restarting my router... and turning off the pr0n downloads on my media center. i'm getting an average 35ms ping with 3 frame delay... better than most others.

Now, I'm having problems with my controller plugin again.
If I HOST a game, I have no problems using 1P (red) to play.
But if I JOIN a game, I cannot control the 2P (blue)... the controller is non responsive.
is there a setting that auto switches which controller I am?

Thanks for all of your help.
I'm crazy excited.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Great suggestion!
Actually, I was successfully able to launch two copies of PJ64k to create a sort of.... "split-screen" arrangement... it works great!
I fixed my PING by restarting my router... and turning off the pr0n downloads on my media center. i'm getting an average 35ms ping with 3 frame delay... better than most others.

But if I JOIN a game, I cannot control the 2P (blue)... the controller is non responsive.

I'm crazy excited.
When on Kaillera, you need to be close out of every other program that is using the internet (hell, close ALL other programs in general). Also, be weary of other people on your network. If they're using the internet, it'll affect you.

Try this build: http://www.mediafire.com/?5ap45ia52cz3yrq

My own personal EVERYTHING build and it has never failed me.

p3hndrx

Smash Rookie
Great suggestion!

I'm crazy excited.
Okay... UPDATE:

if I join a game, the emu launches just fine, but I have no controller response.
If I HOST a game, I get controller response, but everyone else does not have controller response.

Any clue?

The Star King

Smash Hero
asianaussie, I really think you should change "Ness is not good, kids" to "Ness is not good and uncheck raw data, kids"

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
There are two Galaxies and the IP you posted is the secondary one. People only go to that one if the first one is down. If both are down they usually go to West Wonderland or something.

No, unfortunately you can't have two players on the same emulator for kaillera.
Danm. i think ive been using secondary the entire time.
Someone please post the newest and most popular galexy ip

The Star King

Smash Hero
Great minds think for themselves

Guess you and I are nothing special aa

And Kero is far and away Smash ditz lol

EDIT: Just saw edited thread title FFFFFFFUUUUUU-

Peek~

Smash Lord
this thread title is terrible because no one is reading 4900 posts before asking a question
How about adding some frequently asked questions + answers to the first post? Well maybe someone can make a new thread with it and we'll sticky that one. Since this one was started by someone who I've never seen before and is banned.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
i allways thought having a seperate Q&A thread for kaillera would clear alot up. it seems "How do i hook up smash online" fills up at least half of this thread. alot of the kaillera questions are similar so answers would be easy to find.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
questions for said thread:

Why is Ness bad?
Why is Jigglypuff bad?
Every controller issue solvable by 'uncheck raw data'
Why is Ness bad?
Links to guides to getting started online
Why is Pika top and not Kirby?
Why is Ness bad?

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion