• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As an ike fan, have you earned the right to play Ike?

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
I honestly watched no videos and didn't visit any forums or source when I started playing Ike. I was just messing around one day and picked him...found out his style matched mine a bit and from there I've been using him ever since. I don't play Ike because of his potential high tier or because alot of people are using him lately...although if he does become as popular as Marth at tournaments..which I'm sure he won't (nubs spam..Ike can't spam...bye bye nubs) I might change characters based on that. I honestly hate playing overused characters in general...we'll have to see when the tournaments show up though...give it some time.

Oh and ummm for the Gamestop tourney it's a bit different. People aren't playing Ike because they like him...it's just that he's one of the few characters that can KO people in less than a minute...as required to win against your opponent in that stupid tourney. Gamestop is betting on tons of "Sudden Deaths" so that the winner is completely random I'm assuming..hopefully the power characters (played by pros) will take those random nubs out. :dizzy:

Typo

Smash Rookie
I don't really know what you're saying but I started Brawl 2 days ago, (Super smash nib:() and I asked a friend to pick a random character for me.

He picked Ike, and over these 2 days of playing, I've grown to like him for his high damage, and looks. Although he's a bit slow, he's still fun to play.

I have no experience in whatever, and I think I started to play Ike by chance.

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think there's a far better test for whether or not you've earned the right to play Ike than whether or not you've been an Ike fanboi from day 1. It's this:

Have you played through Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn? (preferably on hard).

Do you know why it's a nice touch that he wields Ragnell in Brawl?

Do you understand why Aether would have been a little disappointing if it hadn't been such an amazing attack?

Can you make a competent argument either for or against Ike's homosexuality after viewing the A-Support conversation with Soren and his interactions with female characters throughout both of his F.E. games?

I think it's more important to know who Ike is and why it's fun to have him in Brawl than it is to have been a lifetime member of the Super-Duper Brawl Ike-for-Top-Tier Fanclub or whatever Ike guild you joined.

Then again, I also think you should have to be older than Sonic to main Sonic.

Just my .02

-GK
Yep, that's the reason why I want to play as Ike all right. I never cared much for his slowness, though when everyone was complaining about Ike's slowness, I had just started playing PoR. I was a little disappointed, but I still thought to use Ike as my secondary main (next to Pit). Once my Ike got Aether, I said "Ike is a god, plain and simple", and then decided to take him as my primary main. I haven't played Brawl yet, and I never went to any expo's or anything like that, but I believe I will enjoy Ike a lot (I've watched videos, I think he fits my style perfectly).

So maybe I haven't earned the right to main Ike in your opinion, TC, but I have, in mine.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
FE9 is awesome. I want to play as Ike. Enough?

And I'm glad he isn't unplayable in 1 vs 1s like in E for All. The delays in production were ultimately for all good.

And he should be better than Marth. Marth actually sucks in FE1. Ike OWNS in FE9 and FE10.

Atsu

Smash Ace
'tires don exit'

If people want to play him because he is placed in a non-existant high tier, then let them. Of course, I'm pretty sure an 'official' tier list will be made at some point but I seriously could care less about tiers. You play who you have fun playing. People are 'buying' the game. I see that as the right to use whoever they want. If they believe using someone high in this 'tier list' then let them.

I'm pretty sure not many people know much about Game and Watch since he came a long time ago, hence why he has a 2D Look (I'm pulling stuff out of my *** at the moment to look smart, since I wasn't there when his games came out. So bear with me). Does that mean I can't play him? Hell no. Just because we have a little whiner all held up on tiers saying no one has the right to main who they want for whatever reason there is...well, I don't think I need to go on.

People paid money for this game. It's their game, and it's their right to play whoever they want. Just because he's good (I guess) doesn't mean he should be off-limits.

Whatever though. Most people don't have brawl yet anyways. They sorta have to want to main characters that look good. Not the ones that look ****ty. People are probably going to try every character. Right now people just have thier favorites that they want to main.

In the end this is just my two cents. So go on about this so called right that you're making up to make yourself look cool.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
I didn't even know who falco was before meele but i fell in love with him because of that game and now im a huge starfox fan. If it wasn't for Meele i would have never tried star fox, earthbound, FireEmbelem or even ice climbers. Fans of smashbros usually become fans of the series there favorite charicter comes from. If you think about its like selling an advertisment making millions off it then making even more money when people by the games they advertise in the game. Genius.

Conclusion: If i like Ike enough i may check out his game though i had a bad experience with previous fire embelem games. (I was on like the 12th chapter and i only had 3 guys left. )

AntonieFC

Smash Cadet
I agree with you a 100% way back in August of '07 it was revealed to us that Ike was a playable. I was eccentric about it. And I knew that he would be my new main. So I supported him, undoubtedly.

When people said he was slow, I said I'd main a heavy. Then all of a sudden some random says "Ike is good" and this fanbase materializes out of thin air. Melee was different, Melee had a limited number of characters, and some characters where WAY weaker then others. This time around it's way more balanced, and there are more to choose from. Why is that as soon as someone is branded high tier EVERYONE HAS TO PLAY THEM?

I went to the pre-launch event on Friday, I played Ike 44 times and Link, Marth and Sheik once.

By the time I was leaving it was Ike vs. Ike vs. Ike vs. Ike...why? You tell me.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I didn't care when I heard he was low tier I still was gonna use him a lot. I liked him even before I played his games. And then when I played both FEs he was, by the end half of the game, easily my best unit. So I've played both of his games and have supported him even before he was announced. Tell me am I worthy of Ike?

reilina_06

Smash Rookie
first of all,
no offense but i think u should rephrase ur question to something like this;

As an ike fan, have you earned the right to play Ike?

coz ur question was a general question, its unclear, its too broad, hmm... i cant
think of a specific word. i hope u get what i mean.

ill answer ur question
since i dnt have the game and i have never played a demo of it.
i think no.

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
i think its just a game and everyone needs to relax and play for fun. i plan on playing ike because he seems cool and i played a couple of different fire emblem games. I dont plan on making him my main though.

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
****, I didn't do any of those things..........and I got the game a few days ago too. =( I guess I can't main Ike anymore......I think I'm going to quit brawl now. =(

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
I've always been here, fighting for Ike, especially around the time of E4All.

I remember posting something along the lines of, "Ike might be slow. He might be the worst character in the game. But even if that is true, Ike will be my main no matter what."

I posted that, and about fifty other things arguing for Ike.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I've wanted to main Ike since he was confirmed. I remember during E for All when everybody said Ike sucked, I said it's just a demo and Ike will be changed and what happened, he did and I'm still maining him.

Traceur Assassin

Smash Cadet
first of all what really gives u the right to ask this question? if hes a character in the game and if i think hes cool and has a decent move set then cant i use him? i like him cause of his cool lookin moves and his saf and just b/c he pwns the world. It doesnt really matter if someone is only playing him cause of what they saw in videos if they want to play as him let them be. thats the only way to see how good a character is untill u get the game... watch others use the character. i for one liked him cause he was a swordsman and was tired of using marth. anything i see in videos is extra comfort knowing he is a good character. i dont think u have the right to criticize others when u might not have even played the game. i understand the fact that a lot of people have been using him since they saw vids and found out he was good but thats their decision and they have a right to it. how about u let people do what they want. seriously get a life... seriously!

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
i love fire emblem games. unfortunatly, marth happens to be my least favorite lord out of any fire emblem game, and roy isnt one of my top few either. actually if lyn was a character instead of an assist trophy, i would be playing her instead of ike, but yeah ike is pretty **** cool too.

however, i must point out that, as an ike main, and having played a large number of people and characters, i can speak with a fair bit of authority (if not as much as kirk or azen or whoever)

ike isnt high tier. the game speeds up to almost melee speed once people get the hang of the game, but ike cant keep up, much like ganondorf. YES his attacks hurt YES his attacks have range, but he has a lot of shortcomings mostly associated with projectiles and patient players. ike has a very difficult time handling anyone who plays with lots of projectiles, and anyone who can bait well and force ike to make a move he doesnt want to.

now i have noticed that the more i play said people, the better i do. im starting to figure ways of getting around certain things, and im absolutly falling in love with his upsmash, nair, and fair. ive nailed kills with that fsmash and dair at brutally low %'s as well...however none of this makes up for how often i get kicked around for 70% without even having a single opportunity to land a hit because everyone is running circles around me.

so yeah, im projecting ike to be around mid tier. to respond slightly to the poster's origonal post, apparently ike's recovery was improved after the E4A demo.

sorry if anything ive seen has been already stated in the past few pages, i only read the front page.

Paxz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xyxura
If you havent played the game you shouldnt talk too much man... Im a fire emblen fan, Im an Ike Fan since path of radiance was released, when brawl was announced I was hoping to have Ike in brawl, when Ike was confirmed I didnt care if they remove roy from brawl (Roy user in melee), when I played the game... Ike wasnt the character i was hoping for (he is a great character but he is just not for me) and I miss Roy la lot!!! This is coming from a huge Ike fan.

what I mean... I wont play Ike just cause he is my hero... I ll play whoever fits my gameplay.

Bloom

Smash Rookie
Edit: Ok, im sorry for the outburst i have written here and it has angered many. I was just pissed off that Ike might become the new Marth, overliked and overused. You can read what I put if you want (reason for the spoiler-tag), and i want to say sorry to gimpy and other people i have mentioned.

Have you?

To me, if you support Ike to the fullest not because he his "High tier" but because he hits hard and looks cool then that is half of what you need to play him.

Does everyone remember when the E4All videos came out? I do. Gimpyfish and a few other players who went there to play it reported back to us what they "found out". And most people believed them without any proof. People were saying Ike was slow and the worst character in the game, and people began to get pulled in that direction with them. I soon found myself what seemed like the only person still supporting Ike, because, i watched the videos, and Ike won just as much as everyone else did.

Now, if you actually calculate the amount of time the people who went could have spent on Ike WHILE playing every other character the exact amount of time to get an even opinion on each character that was there, you would notice that he would have been played about 8-9% of the time. Is that enough time to truly get a feel of Ike? I think not. Either someone is biased and giving info they dont have, or they werent being fair to the other characters. I alone noticed this and if you look at my threads, i NEVER stopped doubting Ike, i fought for him, everyone thought he was going to be low tier.

Then comes Japanese Brawl.

Ike is good!!? Oh, i want to play him!!! He changed a LOT since e4all, hes been made a lot better!

no, the reason he seems better is because people really got to try him and test him out for themselves. I congratulate people on being able to rely on other peoples stories, but a lot of people are biased and suck people in with them. Ike never sucked.

A true Ike fan who NEVER doubted Ike and said sc*** you to people who told them otherwise are the people who have truly earned the right to play Ike. If you ever doubted Ike for a second because you are basing your facts on what other people tell you instead of you trying him out for yourself first, you dont deserve Ike.

A true Ike fan is someone who figures out if hes good or not by himself, without letting other people choose for him. If you are a person who is playing him only because the Japanese said "Ike is good!! lolhe b 1337zors lololkeklol!!" then you best rethink yo'self.

So ask yourself, have you really earned the right to play Ike?
You are a HUGE ***got.

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
I agree, cept the homo thing. I think that topic should be dropped and never brought up again.
-Reothepenguin
This forum is absolutely the wrong place to discuss the topic of Ike's sexuality, which is precisely why I didn't ask to hear anyone's argument for or against Ike playing for the Pink team, it was simply a yes or no question: can you make one? If you can make a competent argument either way, (something more than 'Girls, Lisa. Boys kiss girls.') it shows you have a better understanding of the character.

In truth, the "test" I posted there is a crappy test for whether or not you've earned the right to play Ike. Everyone has the right to play Ike, because he's an available character. It's more of a test for whether or not you have the right to call yourself an Ike fan.

Please also note the difference between "Ike fan" and "Ike fanboi" which is subtle, yet tangible.

An Ike fan knows the character, knows his story, and knows why he (or she) likes Ike as a character. An Ike Fanboi, on the other hand, when asked "why do you like Ike?" will probably respond with something akin to "Ike is top tier!" or "He's cool" or "He's got a great big sword!"

Getting mad at the topic creator is silly, because he has every right to say to you "In my opinion you don't have the right to play Ike because you don't meet my criteria" just like you have every right to respond with "your criteria are crap and I don't care about your opinion" and play Ike anyway.

-GK

Fumetsu

Smash Rookie
the question isnt do you have the right, it is, do you have the skills to play Ike :D

rblair

Smash Cadet
he will not be overplayed, trust me. those kiids who buy it and its their fisrst smash game and they say OMG HE HAS A SWORD I WILL DOM will be surprised to realize ike will be hard to master. honestly i wont really mind it because it will be an easy win on wifi.

Top Bottom