• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As an ike fan, have you earned the right to play Ike?

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Ok, im sorry for the outburst i have written here and it has angered many. I was just pissed off that Ike might become the new Marth, overliked and overused. You can read what I put if you want (reason for the spoiler-tag), and i want to say sorry to gimpy and other people i have mentioned.

Have you?

To me, if you support Ike to the fullest not because he his "High tier" but because he hits hard and looks cool then that is half of what you need to play him.

Does everyone remember when the E4All videos came out? I do. Gimpyfish and a few other players who went there to play it reported back to us what they "found out". And most people believed them without any proof. People were saying Ike was slow and the worst character in the game, and people began to get pulled in that direction with them. I soon found myself what seemed like the only person still supporting Ike, because, i watched the videos, and Ike won just as much as everyone else did.

Now, if you actually calculate the amount of time the people who went could have spent on Ike WHILE playing every other character the exact amount of time to get an even opinion on each character that was there, you would notice that he would have been played about 8-9% of the time. Is that enough time to truly get a feel of Ike? I think not. Either someone is biased and giving info they dont have, or they werent being fair to the other characters. I alone noticed this and if you look at my threads, i NEVER stopped doubting Ike, i fought for him, everyone thought he was going to be low tier.

Then comes Japanese Brawl.

Ike is good!!? Oh, i want to play him!!! He changed a LOT since e4all, hes been made a lot better!

no, the reason he seems better is because people really got to try him and test him out for themselves. I congratulate people on being able to rely on other peoples stories, but a lot of people are biased and suck people in with them. Ike never sucked.

A true Ike fan who NEVER doubted Ike and said sc*** you to people who told them otherwise are the people who have truly earned the right to play Ike. If you ever doubted Ike for a second because you are basing your facts on what other people tell you instead of you trying him out for yourself first, you dont deserve Ike.

A true Ike fan is someone who figures out if hes good or not by himself, without letting other people choose for him. If you are a person who is playing him only because the Japanese said "Ike is good!! lolhe b 1337zors lololkeklol!!" then you best rethink yo'self.

So ask yourself, have you really earned the right to play Ike?

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
ike has changed between e4all and now
this is not an opinion, this is a fact
a fact that you are unaware of
you are the worst ike fan ever

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I think anyone who enjoys playing as Ike has the right to play him. =)

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
also, i get the feeling that you don't have the game

so that you are criticizing people for using first Gimpyfish and then the Japanese people to make their impressions
and that you are saying that people just bandwagon on other people's words
without actually having any of your own game experience to put into words

is just a little hypocritical

imo you don't deserve ike because you're trying to turn people off from him
worst ike fan ever

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Truth.

But for the record, I was the guy voting on the Japanese poll Sakurai had for character choices, wanting to play Ike before he was even confirmed to be in the game. So yeah, I think I've got the right. :laugh:

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
ike has changed between e4all and now
this is not an opinion, this is a fact
a fact that you are unaware of
you are the worst ike fan ever
\

Have you actually played the E4all demo and the real Version? If not your exactly what i was saying.

bandwagon
exactly

Yes, but have you seen people lately? There are people like you say, but if you notice the gamestop tourny threads and others like it, everyones playing Ike because hes "good". Everyone is balanced and people arent playing who they like the most.

Im not saying you guys are wrong, im just saying what is happening.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i actually have played both
he is different
this is not a matter of opinion

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
some people play smash bros because they want to win
not all people scrub around all day like you
i don't care about fire emblem 1 at all
but i still play marth
you are in the wrong
and you aren't going to change anyone's mind

iron blade

Smash Ace
I've wanted to play as Ike ever since he was revealed, and I stuck with him even after E4All. What people said about him being bad had no effect on my opinion of him. I didn't care if they said he was slow, I was and still am going to play as him.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
you have never played the game
you have no idea whether or not he's good
it's just people who have played the game saying he's good
and you using their words to fuel your soapbox

you have little to no experience with the game
you think ike is good
you are part of the crowd which you criticize

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
um...yeah anyone who plays the game has the right to play Ike, that's why he's there... :/

I'm a big Ike supporter both because I like his playstyle and because I'm an avid Fire Emblem fan, I've played almost every FE title, and PoR and RD with Ike are two of the best. So yeah, don't go around saying who does and doesn't DESERVE to play a character, that's major flamebait. >.>

Gray

Smash Journeyman
There's probably better options than Ike if you want to tier ***** anyways.

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice
I've wanted to play Ike since Radiant Dawn and stuck with him even through the bashing

besides dude is right anyone who wants to play ike has the right

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice
First of all, have you actually played any Brawl, either at E4All or now? If you haven't, then please tell us precisely how you "know" that he hasn't been changed between them. Meta Knight was changed between E4All and the Brawl release, why not Ike?

And another thing, your argument seems to be that going against everyone's opinion of Ike, based on nothing but a couple of videos that you watched as opposed to their actual 1st-hand experience of him, makes you smarter/better than them?

As you so elegantly put it,

(BTW, no one was saying he was bad in free-for-alls, which was all that E4All was, they were saying he would be bad in 1v1. Which might explain why you saw him win a fair bit.)

And on a side note, have you ever actually played either of the games Ike is from? Because I get the feeling that you haven't... and if I were making a list of things that you need to do in order to "deserve" to play a character in Smash Bros (not that I would, because it's a ridiculous concept), I would put "played their game(s)" pretty high on that list.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
There's probably better options than Ike if you want to tier ***** anyways.
At this point we don't know who exactly is high tier. It also feels like there may be less tiers in brawl due to the fact that developers tried their best to even out the characters. I believe thats a good thing.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Lol you don't need some sort of special mandate to play ike. Ike is probably not even high tier, but closer to mid. I play ike because his style suits me better than the other characters do.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
Lol you don't need some sort of special mandate to play ike. Ike is probably not even high tier, but closer to mid. I play ike because his style suits me better than the other characters do.
Right, i would stick to Ike even if he ended up in low tier. Hard to believe hes heavy yet gracefully powerful. (points to Bowser and laughs)

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
A true Ike fan would not only play both his games multiple times and max him out everytime, support him from day one when we found he was in brawl, but also cosplay as him. Like me ^_^ it's the ultimate fanboyism. (just made a word)

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
o good god....no. NO! i dont think i have the right! o wait, thats right. im droppin 50 bucks for this game. hell yea i have the right, i bought it. think ill play him first then choose lucas and laugh maniacally as i spout slander about fire emblem. marths still wearin that **** tiarra, even if everytime u chose him somebody gave u money, it'll never be ok.

comboking

Smash Master
I don't think there is a right you just pick a character and play it theres nothing to it Im not saying you should play a characterv you know nothing about!

Martini!

Smash Rookie
A true Ike fan would not only play both his games multiple times and max him out everytime, support him from day one when we found he was in brawl, but also cosplay as him. Like me ^_^ it's the ultimate fanboyism. (just made a word)
I don't max him out every time... But yes, I suppose a true fan would.

But as mentioned already, you don't NEED to earn the right to play as Ike! Although I am playing him because I'm a huge Fire Emblem Fanboy (FEF), his games included.
(1st post!)

Roscoewolf

Smash Cadet
I've never played the fire emblem with Ike in it , which i believe is the gamecube one, But back in the day when i checled the dojo updates and saw Ike i thought cool, I hope hes not too much like roy, a stronger slower marth. And since i've studied some videos of him and I thought well ya he seems like a cool character, slow but still managable with nice reach and of course power, smashing at like 50-60% to lighter characters xD. I've thought about making him one of my mains , tho it would be a contrast from my shiek play, i used to side play marth, and i think im gonna like Ike more than marth. I hadn't actually herd much on him really being a "high tier" before now, but it doesnt affect my decision about using him much as of yet .
Anyway no opinion from merely watching youtube could be that accurate, I'll have a solid opinion when i get a chance to try em... but as of now i respect whoever uses him well, hes cool ^^

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice
I've never played the fire emblem with Ike in it , which i believe is the gamecube one, But back in the day when i checled the dojo updates and saw Ike i thought cool, I hope hes not too much like roy, a stronger slower marth. And since i've studied some videos of him and I thought well ya he seems like a cool character, slow but still managable with nice reach and of course power, smashing at like 50-60% to lighter characters xD. I've thought about making him one of my mains , tho it would be a contrast from my shiek play, i used to side play marth, and i think im gonna like Ike more than marth. I hadn't actually herd much on him really being a "high tier" before now, but it doesnt affect my decision about using him much as of yet .
Anyway no opinion from merely watching youtube could be that accurate, I'll have a solid opinion when i get a chance to try em... but as of now i respect whoever uses him well, hes cool ^^
Yea hes definitely a killer in a group of fighters. Unsuspecting light characters are slaughtered when they are not watching thier backs. As for 1v1's Ikes got some quick attacks that can keep the light characters off thier feet and mostly on the defensive.

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
some people play smash bros because they want to win
not all people scrub around all day like you
i don't care about fire emblem 1 at all
but i still play marth
you are in the wrong
and you aren't going to change anyone's mind
He changed my mind :O

-Knux-

Smash Ace
During E for All, I was one of the few who scanned the internet for videos of Ike. I was one who constantly supported him and tryed to get new info for others who liked him. Before Ike was announced, I learned some stuff about him and almost bought Path of Radiance. I went crazy when he was announced as a playable character.

I based one of my RPG characters off of Ike and my e-mail address has "ike" in it. That's how much I supported him, despite all of those who thought he was a crap character. Now I'm kinda ticked that he's pretty much tied for the most popular character. I'm really hoping he's not a high tier character. Middle tier would make me happy.

IrishSheikah

Smash Journeyman
During E for All, I was one of the few who scanned the internet for videos of Ike. I was one who constantly supported him and tryed to get new info for others who liked him. Before Ike was announced, I learned some stuff about him and almost bought Path of Radiance. I went crazy when he was announced as a playable character.

I based one of my RPG characters off of Ike and my e-mail address has "ike" in it. That's how much I supported him, despite all of those who thought he was a crap character. Now I'm kinda ticked that he's pretty much tied for the most popular character. I'm really hoping he's not a high tier character. Middle tier would make me happy.
You sir, are denying the fact Ike awesomes are over the wall!

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I think there's a far better test for whether or not you've earned the right to play Ike than whether or not you've been an Ike fanboi from day 1. It's this:

Have you played through Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn? (preferably on hard).

Do you know why it's a nice touch that he wields Ragnell in Brawl?

Do you understand why Aether would have been a little disappointing if it hadn't been such an amazing attack?

Can you make a competent argument either for or against Ike's homosexuality after viewing the A-Support conversation with Soren and his interactions with female characters throughout both of his F.E. games?

I think it's more important to know who Ike is and why it's fun to have him in Brawl than it is to have been a lifetime member of the Super-Duper Brawl Ike-for-Top-Tier Fanclub or whatever Ike guild you joined.

Then again, I also think you should have to be older than Sonic to main Sonic.

Just my .02

-GK

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
o good god....no. NO! i dont think i have the right! o wait, thats right. im droppin 50 bucks for this game. hell yea i have the right, i bought it. think ill play him first then choose lucas and laugh maniacally as i spout slander about fire emblem. marths still wearin that **** tiarra, even if everytime u chose him somebody gave u money, it'll never be ok.
best post in this topic

reothepenguin

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think there's a far better test for whether or not you've earned the right to play Ike than whether or not you've been an Ike fanboi from day 1. It's this:

Have you played through Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn? (preferably on hard).

Do you know why it's a nice touch that he wields Ragnell in Brawl?

Do you understand why Aether would have been a little disappointing if it hadn't been such an amazing attack?

Can you make a competent argument either for or against Ike's homosexuality after viewing the A-Support conversation with Soren and his interactions with female characters throughout both of his F.E. games?

I think it's more important to know who Ike is and why it's fun to have him in Brawl than it is to have been a lifetime member of the Super-Duper Brawl Ike-for-Top-Tier Fanclub or whatever Ike guild you joined.

Then again, I also think you should have to be older than Sonic to main Sonic.

Just my .02

-GK

I agree, cept the homo thing. I think that topic should be dropped and never brought up again.

Top Bottom