• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Articuno Confirmed For Brawl" Saturday July 12 Appleton, WI

Zicore

Smash Champion
I can't afford to take off of work. Although since I only have to take 1 vacation day for the tourney in Chicago, I may go to this. But EoF is broke, and there is no way I am driving out to get him again. That SUCKED driving him back last time.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I may come. Appleton's close to Sheboredom. And hell, last time I went to a tourny it was great.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
I'll come, but I'd like to try the team matches. Does anyone want to team up with me? I main R.O.B. and a little of G&W, and I did fairly good at the last tourny I went to (it was the CC6 in January and if you played a blue samus in there, it was me, and it was my first tourny :p)

BIG C

Smash Master
i was thinkin about tellin tink about this to go to it but then i saw the stage list that resembled the stages of the last tourny we went to and I definitely don't wanna travel to go for those stages. I'll post reasoning for stages to be banned in another post later but i doubt you will change it.

BIG C

Smash Master
Corneria - Boom, hella camping, fin allows for infinites and some characters are just hella good in that corner, and the ceiling is far too low and allows ppl to die way too prematurely for this game.

Mario Circuit - walk offs and safe zone camping " the zones where no cars come.

Pirate Ship - just a generally bad tourny level IMO and a lot of other ppls. way too many hazards.

Norfair - eh i guess ppl are accepting this nowadays but i myself don't like it when the stage can do potentially more work than the player.

Frigate Orpheon- tis one of my acceptable 9 stages of brawl

Battleship Halberd - another of the accepted 9

Pokemon Stadium 2 - the changes in the stage drastically affect the way the match is played even more so than the first one just because the conveyor belts basically force you to play differently and the gravity one does make u play differently. and GW's uair is a beast on that one.

Port Town - o man mute city but like 100 times bigger plus there are holes in the stage at points another map that affects the pace and playstyle of both players. plus i hear there is a wall that just sorta appears at a point that you have no clue it's there.

Castle Siege- eh i can let it slide its not that bad other than the walk off part is pretty homothuggish.

Distant Planet - oh this guy i totally think it's a campy lvl and that ****'s gay cuz there is a possibility of being killed by the stage.

Green Hill Zone - obviously camp city cmap the sides camp the checkpoints its all that happens at this stage.

Brinstar - lava actually kills.

Rainbow Ride - idk just generally worse than melee all the way around

Delfino Plaza - one of the accepted 9.

Zicore

Smash Champion
I find it funny how you put down "Way too many hazards" for pirate ship, and you accept Battleship, when they both have 2 things that can kill you...just thought I'd point that out?

BIG C

Smash Master
I find it funny how you put down "Way too many hazards" for pirate ship, and you accept Battleship, when they both have 2 things that can kill you...just thought I'd point that out?
haha but halberd doesn't have the ridic spike water which is a huge hazard. and the cannonball at halberd is way way easier to avoid than pirate ship the flinger is gay and when it gets to the rock the stage is wow lets camp for like a minute. and u can possibly get wrecked by the front fo the ship pretty much anytime.

all of that pretty much accounts into hazards.

halberds hazards are based on where ppl are at on the stage and u easily know when they are coming unlike the cannonball way in the back of the level that can be easily overlooked. laser cannon o u can SDI out or just make it go somewhere where it wont hit anyone oh the claw is comin for u big deal you still can fight until it stops moving. basically there is no point where there is a huge wall or a chance of getting wrecked by a part of the stage.

Spittin Wheelie

Smash Cadet
If Aminar goes to this I'll be coming as well. No pools for teams though? $20 seems steep with the possibility of only 2 matches.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Corneria - Boom, hella camping, fin allows for infinites and some characters are just hella good in that corner, and the ceiling is far too low and allows ppl to die way too prematurely for this game.

Mario Circuit - walk offs and safe zone camping " the zones where no cars come.

Pirate Ship - just a generally bad tourny level IMO and a lot of other ppls. way too many hazards.

Norfair - eh i guess ppl are accepting this nowadays but i myself don't like it when the stage can do potentially more work than the player.

Frigate Orpheon- tis one of my acceptable 9 stages of brawl

Battleship Halberd - another of the accepted 9

Pokemon Stadium 2 - the changes in the stage drastically affect the way the match is played even more so than the first one just because the conveyor belts basically force you to play differently and the gravity one does make u play differently. and GW's uair is a beast on that one.

Port Town - o man mute city but like 100 times bigger plus there are holes in the stage at points another map that affects the pace and playstyle of both players. plus i hear there is a wall that just sorta appears at a point that you have no clue it's there.

Castle Siege- eh i can let it slide its not that bad other than the walk off part is pretty homothuggish.

Distant Planet - oh this guy i totally think it's a campy lvl and that ****'s gay cuz there is a possibility of being killed by the stage.

Green Hill Zone - obviously camp city cmap the sides camp the checkpoints its all that happens at this stage.

Brinstar - lava actually kills.

Rainbow Ride - idk just generally worse than melee all the way around

Delfino Plaza - one of the accepted 9.
Glad to hear some input, I said the stages aren't final so it's good to hear what others think.

Im prob going to get rid of port town and poke 2, but I can't see how you can ban the other stages.

In melee, there were plenty of stages that had hazards but were legal. Jungle Japes had Articuno attacking you from the bottom of the water while you could be hanging for an edge guard. Sometimes the barrel on Kongo Jungle 64 would shoot you our randomly. You could get hit on Corneria by ships, and if you really sucked, and got stuck under, you would get owned by the laser.

I can't understand how you could think Brinstar or Norfair should be banned. I play on brinstar all the time as Jiggs, one of the lightest characters in the game, and can live when hit by lava all the time, even in the 100's. And if you get hit by lava, then that's your own fault. It's not like it's a mystery that the lava is rising. Same with norfair. The lava Wave is so easy to dodge. All you have to do is air-dodge or grab an edge when it comes.

Mario Kart and Pirate are iffy, but if you want to ban Pirate partially because of watter,is really lame since you can get lame spikes on Delfino as well. And as for bombs, that's iffy. Mario Kart is iffy as well. Im very open to possibly banning some of these.

But Distant is fine imo.

I think 3 that are on the iffy line are Mario Kart, Pirate Ship, and Green Hill Zone.

Also, Big C, can you post a list of your stages that you guys generally use?

BIG C

Smash Master
well i havent been to like any tournies so i'll get the one tourny that had pretty legit stages on.

Random Stages: Battlefield, Final D, Yoshi Island (Brawl), Smashville

Counterpickable Stages: Delfino Plaza, Luigi's Mansion, Pirate Ship, Frigate Orpheons, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Castle Siege, Pictochat, Corneria, Pokemon Stadium 1

this one still has janky picto corneria and ship.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
If the boat kills you on Pirate Ship your not thinking.
I can agree with no walk offs, although Castle Siege should stay. Seems to me your a bit picky on stages, especially seeing most people just counterpick one of like 3 stages.

Zjiin

Smash Master
If the boat kills you on Pirate Ship your not thinking.
And when the cannonballs come from the back, it forces players to pay more attention to stage hazards than actual competitve play, which if i'm not mistaken, is what we are here for!

BIG C

Smash Master
definitely what we are here for. I mean it's not like it's possible while you being in the water a ROB comes over and bairs u into the boat or anything, not possible at all.

Dragmire

Smash Lord
last tourney I went to had FD, battlefield, yoshis story Brawl, smashville, lylat cruise (needs to be banned), and delfino plaza as legal stages Counter picks I don't remember but certainly not Mario kart of pirate ship

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
lylat and PS1 (lol) need to be banned but if only one of them then yes lylat

also luigi's mansion should at least be a counter pick
No No, and maybe. Lylat can be your ban pick, and PS1 is only lame because of the windmill, it's not that bad to bebanned. Mansion is possible CP, level is really annoying inside the house. We'll see.

Tink

Smash Hero
green hill zone def needs to be banned. i just got camped on that stage by MK who just goes to either ends where the **** flippy thing is and waits behind it. its incredibly gay.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
Corneria needs to be banned. A permanent wall for dedede and ike = should be instabanned.

The other counterpick stages, however, I think are fine. They're counterpick stages because they're stupid stages and give an advantage to other characters. You don't ban a stage because it's stupid, you ban a stage because it gives some characters complete brokenness over everybody, or it completely debilitates others. Saying ban brinstar because the acid kills is a bad reason because it kills everybody. Saying ban brinstar because *insert character here* can just *insert broken strategy here* is a different story.

However, I personally think there should only be 5 stages available period, but that's just because I think all the stages in this game are stupid :-P

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Alright, I edited the list.

New to the Ban List
Mario Kart
Corneria
Green Zone
Port Town
Poke 2

Added Luigi's Mansion to counter, and moved Lylat to counter.
Staying with Pirate Ship as a CP. That should make everyone happy.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Corneria needs to be banned. A permanent wall for dedede and ike = should be instabanned.

The other counterpick stages, however, I think are fine. They're counterpick stages because they're stupid stages and give an advantage to other characters. You don't ban a stage because it's stupid, you ban a stage because it gives some characters complete brokenness over everybody, or it completely debilitates others. Saying ban brinstar because the acid kills is a bad reason because it kills everybody. Saying ban brinstar because *insert character here* can just *insert broken strategy here* is a different story.

However, I personally think there should only be 5 stages available period, but that's just because I think all the stages in this game are stupid :-P
/agree

Alright, I edited the list.

New to the Ban List
Mario Kart
Corneria
Green Zone
Port Town
Poke 2

Added Luigi's Mansion to counter, and moved Lylat to counter.
Staying with Pirate Ship as a CP. That should make everyone happy.
Thank you. We will prob make this.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
While we're at it why is PS1 on neutral?
Why isn't it? The windmill is part of the stage for like 15 seconds, the rest of the time, it's just like melee. If the windmill really bothers you, just stay away from it.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Why isn't it? The windmill is part of the stage for like 15 seconds, the rest of the time, it's just like melee. If the windmill really bothers you, just stay away from it.
I actually agree with Chexr, even though i'll deal with it if it's on. Pokemon stadium 1 has been tested in tournaments and it's the general consensus (at least around here) that every level change promotes camping which encourages poor tournament play. Also the ledges are some big problems for a lot of characters.

For being my favorite stage in melee, they really broke my heart with this one. :(

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I actually agree with Chexr, even though i'll deal with it if it's on. Pokemon stadium 1 has been tested in tournaments and it's the general consensus (at least around here) that every level change promotes camping which encourages poor tournament play. Also the ledges are some big problems for a lot of characters.

For being my favorite stage in melee, they really broke my heart with this one. :(
But if you're going to do that, then why not move BF to cp? The level screams Meta Knight and Marth. The ledges suck on that stage too. I just think you could easily find reasons to move every stage to counter pick.

Zjiin

Smash Master
But if you're going to do that, then why not move BF to cp? The level screams Meta Knight and Marth. The ledges suck on that stage too. I just think you could easily find reasons to move every stage to counter pick.
because PS1 isn't about specific character advantages/disadvantages and instead promotes poor, long, and camp-filled matches. MK and Marth are great on practically ANY stage with platforms, so i don't understand what that meant. Also, what's wrong with BF's edges?

[edit] Also, this isn't some kind of contest to see who can ban how many levels the fastest. We are pretty much going fo the overall goal of the most fair and best stages to play on. I don't understand why people get so worked up when someone points out why a stage that has been playtested since before brawl was released has some major tournament and comepttitive issues

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
there's a ton of stages in brawl, I think we have some room to get picky over what makes a tourney match dumb.
but then again I just hate ps1 :dedede:

Tapion013

Smash Lord
PS1's level changes encouraged camping in melee as well. All pokemon stadium matches were were a minute or so of fighting regularly, then 30 seconds of waiting, then repeating unless it was the windmill selection. Nothing's really changed except for the fact that the ledges seem to be much more annoying.

Even with the game mechanics being changed, I see no reason for PS1 to be a counterpick stage, and definitely should not be banned.

Zjiin

Smash Master
PS1's level changes encouraged camping in melee as well. All pokemon stadium matches were were a minute or so of fighting regularly, then 30 seconds of waiting, then repeating unless it was the windmill selection. Nothing's really changed except for the fact that the ledges seem to be much more annoying.

Even with the game mechanics being changed, I see no reason for PS1 to be a counterpick stage, and definitely should not be banned.
Def not banned, but I would opt for CP. Camping has reached a riduclous level with brawl's defensive mechanics. Although, as I already stated, I'll be fine if it's on neutral. There are far more debatable levels to spend time on.

Top Bottom