• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I would honestly do her alts like this with hair and eye colors to match for characters.

1. Default
2. Amitie colors
3. Ringo colors
4. Tee colors
5. Dark Prince colors
6. Rulue colors
7. Classic Compile Arle
8. Doppel

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
If Arle was in would ya'll prefer the older design from the 90's or the more recent one? I think I like the older design a bit better & since Simon uses his Super Castlevania 4 SNES Boxart look, I could see it happening.
Are you talking art style or age?

I'd honestly prefer the old artstyle, because I feel the pop aesthetic would be weird in Smash, but if they decide the new art style I'm sure it's because they know they'd do it well and thus I'd likely be happy with it.

As for age I'd definitely prefer the classic 16-sai with the iconic, but very silly, single boob plate. I know Sega seem to prefer the 18 year old that debuted in Madou Monogatari Final Exam and got popularized in Puyo~n (with the half length breastplate and large paulldrons), but she'd had so many games by then and most of them in her 16yo design that that's what I think of. I mean, they bought the 16yo outfit back for Anniversary, in the new artstyle even, because they were paying tribute to the series' history, and I would want Smash to do the same.

I definitely don't think we'd see and I don't really want any of her 4 or 5 year old designs though because they've never been consistent, and honestly mostly suck (although I have a soft spot for the PC-98 ARS design with the red cloak)...

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
On the topic of how Arle could look in Smash, I forget if I've posted this a while back or not - but I've had my eye on this figure for a while and it shows just how good the Sonic Team designs can look in 3D. Hopefully Smash would take some notes.

1603473694836.png

I'm personally more of a Compile guy myself, but I like both designs a lot (my favorite is actually Puyo ~n). I think everyone else has been pretty spot on about Arle getting a Compile color swap at least, and potentially having some liberties taken with her design to account for both new and old.

I want to say most of the Puyo content in Smash would end up coming from Puyo Puyo 2 given how much of an arcade buff Sakurai has proven himself to be, so perhaps they would lean into that a little further.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord

So this was a thing. And of notable importance in regards to the point of this thread...

(This is a google translation, so it may not be entirely accurate. The original link is the original text.)

Your mileage may vary on whether this assassinates Arle from the running for Ultimate (I don't think so, but understand if you think it does), but it at least guarantees that in the future, she has a chance for Smash entirely.

Personally? This is more good than bad. While Smash is mentioned in an "if" sense, it at least ensures that Hosoyamada is not only fine with, but would be very pleased to see Arle in Smash. After last year, this is probably the most direct form of (long-term) good news. Plus, it isn't a direct "we tried, but it never got that far/didn't work out" like we had with Bethesda earlier.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Thanks for sharing that, I'm not entirely sure what to make of it yet.

I'm glad that it kills the whole no violence thing once and for all and confirms that Arle is in fact completely viable to be in Smash. Major drawback is just wondering about how freely Hosoyamada would be allowed to discuss Smash, but it's always weird with these sort of interviews. What would they even be able to say? If Arle was in, they wouldn't lie and say "no" either.

This is a pretty by the books, basic answer taking it bit by bit. "Yes it would be cool, yes it would be Arle."

You're correct in that it doesn't particularly deny the possibility of Arle being in Smash, just that it's definitely something they would accept if asked and that Arle would be their pick (duh). So yeah, I don't know what to make of it yet but it at least doesn't spell certain doom in the same way something like that Doomguy interview did.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
This isn't related to that, but is a bit of a mini question.

People are divided on if Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is also the 30th anniversary game or not. I'm on the side that it is, at least it's intended to be; working on an actual 2021 Puyo game after this sounds like a nightmare with less than 7 months before the game has to go gold, and the game will be getting extra content into 2021. Free content that includes stuff like CHARACTERS, something never done before in any Puyo game with paid DLC. Chronicle and Tetris had paid DLC and never sold characters.

That's my big reason why. Some believe that there could still be a 30th, or there is no 30th and Tetris 2 doesn't count, but I think Tetris 2 is supposed to be 30th.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman

So this was a thing. And of notable importance in regards to the point of this thread...

(This is a google translation, so it may not be entirely accurate. The original link is the original text.)

Your mileage may vary on whether this assassinates Arle from the running for Ultimate (I don't think so, but understand if you think it does), but it at least guarantees that in the future, she has a chance for Smash entirely.

Personally? This is more good than bad. While Smash is mentioned in an "if" sense, it at least ensures that Hosoyamada is not only fine with, but would be very pleased to see Arle in Smash. After last year, this is probably the most direct form of (long-term) good news. Plus, it isn't a direct "we tried, but it never got that far/didn't work out" like we had with Bethesda earlier.
I can't say for sure if this affects Arle's chances of being one of the remaining DLCs or not.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman

People are divided on if Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is also the 30th anniversary game or not. I'm on the side that it is, at least it's intended to be; working on an actual 2021 Puyo game after this sounds like a nightmare with less than 7 months before the game has to go gold, and the game will be getting extra content into 2021. Free content that includes stuff like CHARACTERS, something never done before in any Puyo game with paid DLC. Chronicle and Tetris had paid DLC and never sold characters.

That's my big reason why. Some believe that there could still be a 30th, or there is no 30th and Tetris 2 doesn't count, but I think Tetris 2 is supposed to be 30th.
I agree with you. I’m honestly just expecting the stuff we expect from the anniversary games to just be included into PPT2 in the form of those free updates, especially if we end up getting a bunch of legacy characters and Fever characters and stuff.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Munchi

Smash Journeyman

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Happy (late) birthday, Puyo Puyo!

Yeeeaaah, I personally wouldn't take this as 'Arle isn't happening' from Hosoyamada. What's more, people have been pointing out that Phil Spencer (head of Xbox) had a similar interview regarding Banjo and Kazooie, didn't he?

Yeah, I wouldn't be too discouraged. As Louie G. Louie G. has said, this even knocks the 'No violence' issue pillar out of Arle's way. Which makes me wonder... is a Puyo fighting game still not in the cards...?

Hey Arle people! Hey Arle people! Hey Arle people! Won't you listen to meee~!

New trailer!

POST LAUNCH CONTENT!! I mean sure every game since PPT has had it but this is the first case of western DLC!

ALLY CONFIRMED!!!!!

Man 2020 has really been the year Puyo hits it big, huh?
I STILL can't believe this is happening.

Man, the amount of Madou-era AND Fever-era characters that could return thanks to this...

No joke, I'm genuinely beginning to believe that PPT2 is meant to be "Puyo Puyo!!! 30th Anniversary"...

Honestly, this news that PPT2 would be the first Puyo game with CHARACTER DLC is what's officially selling me on the idea that, yes, PPT2 is meant to be 'Puyo Puyo!!! 30th Anniversary'.

As I've said before, imagine the amount of characters that could potentially be added here.

I know it's wishful thinking that things will pan out this way, but I'm thinking we'll get:
PPT1's entire cast
+
20th's characters (i.e. Ms. Accord & Popoi, Lidelle, Ocean Prince, Onion Pixie, Dongurigaeru, and Yu & Rei)
+
PPC's Skill Battle-exclusives (Lagnus, Serilly, and Harpy)
+
PPQ characters (who will most likely be exclusive to Skill Battle mode)
+
A few additional returning Madou-era and Fever-era characters as well (The worst-case scenario I see is that some of them are playable in all modes and others are Skill Battle-exclusive if SEGA DOESN'T break the 24 limit in this game for whatever reason).

For the record, I do NOT want anyone to just be exclusive to Skill Battle mode. I'm actively hoping SEGA doesn't make such a bone-headed decision.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
It seems that the base roster of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 has leaked.

The characters yet to be revealed are Schezo, Rulue, Dark Prince, Ecolo, Witch, Draco, and an unrevealed character. Here's the link. The unlockable characters are Marle, Ecolo, and Ally for Puyo, and Dark Prince, Ex and the unrevealed character for Tetris.

If you don't want to be spoiled in the future, you may wish to consider staying away from Puyo Twitter for a while.

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
It seems that the base roster of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 has leaked.

The characters yet to be revealed are Schezo, Rulue, Dark Prince, Ecolo, Witch, Draco, and an unrevealed character. Here's the link. The unlockable characters are Marle, Ecolo, and Ally for Puyo, and Dark Prince, Ex and the unrevealed character for Tetris.

If you don't want to be spoiled in the future, you may wish to consider staying away from Puyo Twitter for a while.
I hope those empty spaces get filled. It'd be nice to have a few more chars that weren't in PPT1. I'm glad they didn't cut anyone at least.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Good news to all you Arle fans and supporters. Seems she has one less competition now that Kiryu is more than deconfirmed.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
It seems like when it comes to Smash in particular, it doesn't apply for Arle.

But yeah, the chances of us getting a Puyo Puyo x Yakuza fighting game are most likely slim to none. Not that I was hoping for it, but still.
Dammit, the crossover fighting game everyone needed will never happen.
On a serious note, it technically doesn't apply to Kiryu either, but the creator has also hinted Nintendo hasn't expressed interest in a Kiryu inclusion.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I've missed the part in Sega's ExtraLife stream where they play Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. I can't find a good video on that part either.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
PPT2 is getting DLC, eh? Looks like I have some shop hunting to do.

Find it pretty funny how both of these characters now have an image controversy in regards to a possible inclusion in a fighting game.
At this point it feels like Nagoshi has so little confidence in Kiryu's chances that he's using every excuse/loophole he can think of, to assume that he won't get in. Not that character personality inaccuracy ever stopped Sak before.

amageish

Smash Master

Confirmation of at least 5... DLC... things? I'm unsure if they plan on filling this out with just characters or if modes get spots too... Also some "returning fan favourites" will be added, so it'll be interesting to see who they mean by that. Is this Skeleton T's time to shine? Who knows!

Also, I think me and the SegaForever twitter have slightly different definitions of "worldwide."

3D Dillon

Smash Ace

Confirmation of at least 5... DLC... things? I'm unsure if they plan on filling this out with just characters or if modes get spots too... Also some "returning fan favourites" will be added, so it'll be interesting to see who they mean by that. Is this Skeleton T's time to shine? Who knows!

Also, I think me and the SegaForever twitter have slightly different definitions of "worldwide."
I'd love to see adorable little Serilly as one of the 5.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman

I wonder what they could be... my preliminary predictions would be (I'm putting a spoiler thing just in case it's not really that long lol)

Rafisol and Lidelle, Fever mode, and some sort of expansion to Skill Battle to add co-op and exclusive battles

I can't think of anything else at the moment, I would guess the last one would be the "and more" and I don't really know what that could be

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I think that because this game is most likely the 30th Anniversary title, these improvements are going to be a bit bigger in scope than what we're used to. A "30th"-ification of the game.
  1. Maybe two or three new game types. Fever vs. Lucky Attack, OPP vs. Game Boy Tetris, and Excavation could work. If they were feeling really ambitious I'd say Mega Puyo Rush/Teratris and Mini Puyo Fever/Minitris would work too.
    1. "Other" modes such as Sun, Foursight, Active and more would be neat but I think that would get bloated.
    2. Party already incorporates stuff like Searchlight and Ice Blocks, but hey, the more the merrier.
    3. Yo~n rule is redundant with Skill Battle, but I'd be down for it.
  2. Classic voices for the Compile characters, both the base game ones and the DLC ones.
    1. So far, that would mean Arle, Rulue, Schezo, Carbuncle, Dark Prince, Draco Centauros, Suketoudara, and Witch.
  3. Cooperative features? Hard to describe. But if I had to guess, it could be a boss battle mode featuring characters that didn't make the cut for DLC, or even against just one heavily buffed Skill Battle opponent.
  4. Quality of life features from Champions, including Colorblind Mode and Spectator Mode, if not included in the base game. Basically would guarantee the success of Puyo as an eSport (ba-dum-tiss).
  5. And the obvious one, more playable characters. Rather than go through a specific list for who I think is gonna happen, I think I'll list characters that I could see getting in. The question is, are they unique or reskins?
    1. Compile: Skeleton T, Nasu Grave, Harpy, Panotty, Zoh Daimaoh, Minotauros, Serilly, Nohoho, Incubus, Kikimora, Ragnus, Chico and Doppelganger Arle. Honorable mention to others like Archan or Demiserf, who probably aren't happening but would likely be appreciated.
    2. SEGA (Main Series): Ms. Accord, Lidelle, Tartar, Onion Pixie, Donguri Gaeru, Ocean Prince, Dapper Bones, Hoho, Frank & Stein, Popoi, Gogotte, Baldanders, Akuma and Rafisol. Yu and Rei WOULD be here, but I think they're on break at best. Otomo and Oniko are not happening independently of their other characters.
    3. Alternate characters: The 20th ones, Dark (Arle), and others like that could be added.
    4. I don't know enough about Quest characters to make any judgement here, but the Champions 6 + a few more popular quest characters could work.
    5. I doubt we're getting crossover characters. If we do though, then maybe Sonic? I'd expect it to be mostly SEGA properties + the odd third party (strange, Nintendo is a third party here).

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
I just thought I'd post this video moveset concept since there are very few Arle concepts out there, and this one at least has some good ideas in it. It even has Amitie as an echo fighter, which I'm totally down for.

Also, I just want to highlight this Rivals of Aether Steam Workshop mod of Arle. It came out earlier this year, and it's probably been posted already, but it's just nice to see sometimes.

My favorite thing about it is that it uses the design from Puyo Puyo~n. My least favorite thing about it is that there's not Bayoen. Arle is just not complete without Bayoen.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

PPT2 finally using a new engine (Hedgehog Engine 2) instead of reusing 20th anniversary one

Seems like all future SEGA CS2 titles wil be using HE2 going forward (Sakura Wars, PSO2: NG, Sonic)

Top Bottom