• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was talking about Arle becoming a Fighter since that is the last hope for the Competitive puzzle game genre, and Panel de Pon getting a revival as a following result. I don't want Arle to be a normal spirit. I want her to fight, and with Arle as a Fighter (Bonus Points with Amitie as her Echo Fighter), Nintendo would realize they have to step up and finally unleash Lip (Panel de Pon) as a fighter too.... as SEGA would need a worthy rival from Nintendo in this genre....

In fact, if we really can't get Tails/Knuckles/Shadow, Arle will make up for it, and we need 2 mascots to continue the legacy of the Nintendo vs. SEGA Rivalry even though the rivalry is not like before.

Just think about it.... Mario is dominant in the Platformer genre back in the day of him against Sonic, and now, Arle is dominant in the Puzzle game genre, so close enough to beat Tetris, and Arle is unstoppable, which is why i want her in Smash Bros now because once she is in the fighter spotlight, Nintendo will then do ANYTHING to stop Arle's reign of dominance, and that is to ANNOUNCE Lip as a Fighter....

My point is that i'd pick Arle because not onpy i like Puyo Puyo, but also because i want to learn from my mistakes about not wanting her in the past because of one bad mindset i was forced into about Smash Bros, and because the Competitive Puzzle Game genre needs love and recognition in the Smash Community, and because a gaming character with such a cute artstyle is barely anywhere in Smash.
Uuuuuhhh... No. If anything Nintendo would probably just send the doctor if they really needed a competitive puzzler to fight back with.

I don't need fever dreams to want a character.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
The anniversary picture is very strange and I do believe that Daisy is a stand in for FP5 even if it turns out to not be Arle in the end. That plus, Super PuyoPuyo 2's inclusion in SNES Online rather than Kirby Avalanche support's her position greatly.

I imagine her trailer would feature Doctor Mario , Kirby, and Sonic. Doctor Mario for being another puzzle game character with Kirby and Sonic who had Puyo games with characters from their series.

D

Deleted member

I do have the same mindset over her trailer.... while Dr. Mario, Yoshi, and Kirby are in a three way Puzzle game match (Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Cookie, and Kirby Star Stacker respectively) Arle shows up with a rain of Puyos and crashes the party. Also, halfway through, Amitie joins as Arle's Echo Fighter, and the two cause all sorts of Puyo mayhem which is a big pain to deal with for everyone.

Arle and Amitie as Smash Fighters would make much more sense moreso than Doomguy and Scorpion of Mortal Kombat, because despite the latter two are very popular in America, they are not fitting because their games are extremely too violent for a fun party game like Smash Bros, and the former two came from a series of family friendly puzzle games, which is why Arle and Amitie would be fun to play as because GOD KNOWS we need "Anime Girls" gaming characters in this series!

Oh, and at the end of what i think the trailer should be: Arle and Amitie laugh happily as they are satisfied with their work, alongside Sonic, Bayonetta, and Joker, only to be interrupted by some familiar panels, and you know who shows up, and starts to attack Arle and Amitie, but then the screen fades to black.... probably ready for another trailer.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Welcome to the 2020's, people! Rise and shine! No more being stuck in 2019 like a dead thread.

Hope springs eternal, and I'm going to take this place, among others, to new heights.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, did you all hear that Puyo Puyo was going to have an anime adaptation series shortly after Tsu's release?

Calane

Smash Ace
Hey, did you all hear that Puyo Puyo was going to have an anime adaptation series shortly after Tsu's release?
It's a shame that Puyo Puyo never got an actual anime, but there are these cute little animations that show what it probably would have been like.

I'm sure that everyone here has seen these already, but still.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Surprised this thread is so slow, especially since papagenos papagenos is speculating on her so much. He again talked about her in a video today.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
It's realllyyy looking like Arle is coming. If not, Sakurai is setting her up for the second wave of DLC and is just messing with us now.

I'd be content with Arle--pleased, no less (though, no more). I won't lie and say I'm a huge Puyo-Puyo fan. But I could see the moveset being very creative, I'm a Sega fan, and I have some small familiarity with the games:

*Loved the Sonic Mania boss and included game.
*Downloaded the Puyo/Tetris demo.
*Have had Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine on various compilations. (I was always aware of the game as a Genesis kid, and had every other Sonic game, but the grotesque cartoon depiction of Robotnik turned me off, as did the name).

But hey, if they want to include normal Robotnik as an alt., I'd be all for it now. Robotnik does contrast Sonic on the Smash screen (Spirits and Online mode pictures), and might entice more people to buy the Arle DLC.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Surprised this thread is so slow, especially since papagenos papagenos is speculating on her so much. He again talked about her in a video today.
I am very hesitant about any speculation that involves analysis of photos Sakurai posts as a major element, especially after that Isaac theory in the base game. That said, Arle does have a lot of other stuff going for her as well. Here's hoping!

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
After looking over what Papagenos has said, I really think Arle is a very likely candidate. In addition to everything he said, I have a little theory. The reason why Nintendo may be dragging their feet with FP5 is because it might be Arle. While Puyo Puyo is popular in Japan, it's a niche series in the west and after the lukewarm reaction to Hero and Terry, Nintendo might be holding off until the first post-pass character is ready to be announced (who would probably be a fan favorite) to negate the backlash Arle might get because not many people in the west know her.

She would also follow the pattern of last characters being underwhelming (ken and incineroar, Duck Hunt, etc.). I'm by no means saying that Arle is a bad choice or anything. I'm referring to the fact that the general audience would find her underwhelming and be disappointed that it's not a fan favorite character like Crash or Dante.

I have no personal attachment to Arle, but I've come to accept her and I would be happy for her fans if she made it in. In fact, I want to ask you all: What's your story with Puyo Puyo? What made you drawn to Arle?What would she bring to the table? I'm curious.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
After looking over what Papagenos has said, I really think Arle is a very likely candidate. In addition to everything he said, I have a little theory. The reason why Nintendo may be dragging their feet with FP5 is because it might be Arle. While Puyo Puyo is popular in Japan, it's a niche series in the west and after the lukewarm reaction to Hero and Terry, Nintendo might be holding off until the first post-pass character is ready to be announced (who would probably be a fan favorite) to negate the backlash Arle might get because not many people in the west know her.

She would also follow the pattern of last characters being underwhelming (ken and incineroar, Duck Hunt, etc.). I'm by no means saying that Arle is a bad choice or anything. I'm referring to the fact that the general audience would find her underwhelming and be disappointed that it's not a fan favorite character like Crash or Dante.

I have no personal attachment to Arle, but I've come to accept her and I would be happy for her fans if she made it in. In fact, I want to ask you all: What's your story with Puyo Puyo? What made you drawn to Arle?What would she bring to the table? I'm curious.
Honestly Arle has been a pick I've slept on but I've since warmed up to. If OP is around throw me on the support list too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The pattern of last characters in a reveal pattern is for those that are creative and out of the box. The idea that characters need to always excite fans and not always be someone that provides something interesting gameplay-wise is beyond tiresome at this point. Besides, the well-known characters tend to be focused on earlier, presumably to get fans and buyers on-board with the latest Smash installment, with lower-tier ones being for people who are already invested post-release.

Also, Arle would at least provide a consolation prize for Lip fans, who also support a puzzle franchise that was infamously rebranded for a while.

Plus we need a Sega character that's not just somebody from a different company. :ultbayonetta::ultjoker:

In regards to why it's taking so long, I was thinking that it might be because the mechanics involved are particularly complex. If we have an entire Puyo Puyo system implemented, that would indeed be very complicated to program for a fighting game character. Like shoving Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo into Pocket Fighter.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I'm having nightmares thinking about all the labbing I'll have to do with Arle if she gets in and comes with an ultra complex Puyo mechanic. Gotta put in the work for my mains...

KillerCage

Smash Master
Honestly Arle has been a pick I've slept on but I've since warmed up to. If OP is around throw me on the support list too.
You can thank ProtonJon for getting me into Puyo Puyo Tetris.
Also guess what made me finally get the Switch online?
Puyo Puyo 2.
Had it not been the former game, I would have still been sleeping on Arle.

amageish

Smash Master
Honestly, I just like puzzle games a lot. I like how easy-to-learn-hard-to-master Puyo Puyo is - I can throw it on the TV whenever friends are around for some multiplayer mayhem, but can also work on my skills at setting up combos on my own while a podcast or something plays in the background. It's just fun any way you slice it!

I'm not exactly a lore expert on Arle, but I do like her as a protagonist/friend-to-the-protagonist. She's just your friendly neighbourhood sorceress who wanders around doing magic things via puyo. I think it'd just be kind of funny if part of her journies involved wandering into Smash, especially as she seemingly has a knack for inter-dimensional hijinx.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It warms my heart to see all this genuine support for Arle. By the way, thanks to papagenos papagenos for his little video on Arle. Really means a lot! So... who wants to be added to the support list?

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
While the Marth picture could be a reference, the Kirby one absolutely entirely is not. Puyos do not drop in threes, but here's something that does come in threes:
1578545697993.png

Sticks of Dango are often multicoloured and come in sticks of three, so that is most likely what is being evoked here, not a puyo drop.
It's also worth noting that while the Marth image is potentially based on Arle, as noted above it's not a Puyo reference specifically either

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Anyone saw Arle's design in that Pashamon mobile game last month?

ArleInPashamon.jpg

Wouldn't mind if this how she looked in Smash

Actually this IS probably what she would look like if you removed the poppy artstyle from the actual games and try to fit her in smash so she doesnt stand out compared to the rest of the roster weirdly enough.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even i am happy too for those who keep on going for SEGA's Almighty Puzzle Mage, especially when they have to risk everything by saying anything is possible for her despite the Leaks and Disconfirmations by Vergeben, despite the fact that those whiny Smashbrats keep wanting for Unlikely ones like Sore, Doomguy, Steve, Scorpion, Goose, Waluigi, and Fortnite Guy.

It's sad that those people frowned upon Puzzle game Characters because they want Gun users or an overpraised Gaming Character that has nothing to do with Video Game History or a character from games that are filled with toxic children and edgelords or a character from a game series that is HATED by parents worldwide. In fact, i now only want one thing: Arle to be announced AS A SMASH FIGHTER AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, why?

Because i was worried and Anxious about the fate of the roster in Ultimate, None of the characters is a Genuine Puzzle Game Rep (Sorry Dr. Mario and Yoshi, you maybe great characters, but you are obviously a Joke to me), and that the presence of Western gaming Characters that don't fit will curse the current fighter roster to DEEP ETERNAL HELL. Look at who the Toxic fans want.

They want characters beyond the sanity limit like Sora from Kingdom Hearts, they want someone who can traumatize the fighters to HELL like Doomguy and Scorpion, they want some character whose stereotype is aimed at Toxic children like Steve or Jonesy, and they also want WALUIGI, and i saw these characters 1000% Unlikely not because they are Bad, but they have controversies and/or issues that will be Nightmarish for Nintendo to handle.

Arle on the other hand is someone i prefer for a Smash fighter worthy of attention. She came from what, a series of Puzzle Games that is growing in America, she is Bubbly and Lighthearted, she has a potential for having an EXTREMELY UNIQUE moveset and CRAZY Gimmick revolving Puzzle Pieces, she has an ADORABLE Chibi artstyle that nobody has, and she is SUITABLE for the Good Boys and Girls of ALL AGES.

In short, I'd rather have Arle join the Fight and not a mediocre PNG file that we may not want to touch ever again upon achieving, and i'd rather those Toxic Smash Fans be exposed to such a Cute Character like her but then realize that their "Most Wanted" characters are not going to be in Smash because of certain issues, and ended up liking Arle in the long run and accept her as the fighter. I don't care if she is part of the Fighter's Pass or Part of the upcoming DLC, i want her announced fighter, AT ANY POINT IN TIME OF OUR LIVES.

(REMEMBER, ARLE IS ALREADY WAY BEYOND CRAZY, AND WAY BEYOND INSANE, AND EVERYONE WHO SAW HER DEBUTING AS A FIGHTER WILL LOSE THEIR MIND)

Also, there is one thing i want to mention: I want Three Smash theories to be true. I want that Marth & Isabelle theory confirmed to be true because that shows the fact that Arle is coming to fight, and i want the Daisy theory to be true because since she is an Echo Fighter, and if Arle is at her spot as part of the Fighter Pass, Amitie will be Arle's Echo Fighter, and i want the Bonus Character theory to be true because of two things: Either i want to open up for Crash Bandicoot to join the fight as well so that Banjo has a rival to go up against if the Bonus character is Third Party OR i want to see Panel de Pon's Lip to finally fight back so that Arle has a Rival to go up against and make Yoshi and Pikachu learn their Lesson if the Bonus Character is Nintendo.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly I am not expecting any of Sakurai's Daily pictures to be hints, but the Daisy one is for sure a placeholder for FP5. Arle fits well there... could she be seen hip bumping Daisy in the banner too? Daisy is interacting with someone!

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Honestly I am not expecting any of Sakurai's Daily pictures to be hints, but the Daisy one is for sure a placeholder for FP5. Arle fits well there... could she be seen hip bumping Daisy in the banner too? Daisy is interacting with someone!
I unironically think that marth pic with isabelle is suspicious

Like why choose the character with blue and gold armor similar to arle's armor with a yellow animal friend similar to carbuncle

img209.jpg

Weird coincidence
Marth even has a crown

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I unironically think that marth pic with isabelle is suspicious

Like why choose the character with blue and gold armor similar to arle's armor with a yellow animal friend similar to carbuncle

View attachment 256370

Weird coincidence
Marth even has a crown
I just don't want a repeat of that Rathalos picture again here. Those poor Isaac fans...

amageish

Smash Master
Here's a fun Arle question to get away from all the odds discussion: If Arle gets in, what kind of trailer would people like to see? Something Joker-esque which starts with Arle, misdirecting people into thinking its a Puyo game? Something Hero-esque, where Arle shows up to save the day? Something Terry-esque, where the Puyo cast fights over who gets to be the Smash representative of the IP?

Calane

Smash Ace
You know, I was thinking of how I'd make Arle's moveset at work (I actually came up with most of it, but don't really feel like writing it all down), and I think I had a pretty cool idea of how to implement Puyos. I thought that they could incorporate them into her throws!

...Yes, that sounds weird, but hear me out!

They could make it so that each of her throws sticks a different colored puyo to her opponent. So, basically something like this:

- Forward Throw always sticks Arle's opponent with a green puyo.

- Back Throw always sticks Arle's opponent with a red puyo.

- Up Throw always sticks Arle's opponent with a yellow puyo.

- Down Throw always sticks Arle's opponent with a blue puyo.

Got that? Okay, so if Arle forward throws Mario, he gets one green puyo stuck onto him for a limited (but fairly lengthy) amount of time.

If she gets Mario in another forward throw before the first one goes away, the plumber gets two green puyos stuck onto him. If she does it again, he gets three. And finally, if she does it just one more time, Mario gets four green puyos stuck onto him, which causes them to pop for massive damage.

A popping puyo throw would be the strongest throw in the game, it killing pretty darn early, but also taking a lot of setup to actually perform.

However, if Arle performed two forward throws and then decided to do a back throw, the chain would break, replacing the two green puyos with one red puyo (making her have to start all over again). Getting a popping throw would require Arle to perform the same throw four times in a row, basically.

This would make it so that Arle's actual moveset could be based around her various spells and such, while her throws reference a major Puyo Puyo mechanic, which would seamlessly mix "Madou Monogatari" and "Puyo Puyo" together in a single moveset!

*Ahem*... Feel free to tell me how dumb this idea is. I can take it.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I just don't want a repeat of that Rathalos picture again here. Those poor Isaac fans...
Yeah, there is no way that Marth pic is coincidental, but you guys have to be careful that you won't be set up for Issac part 2. Anyway, I haven't played any of Arle's games, but I am a big Lip fan and Arle would be the closest thing to having her in the game so I am all for it!

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Cool to see all the new support!

Here's a fun Arle question to get away from all the odds discussion: If Arle gets in, what kind of trailer would people like to see? Something Joker-esque which starts with Arle, misdirecting people into thinking its a Puyo game? Something Hero-esque, where Arle shows up to save the day? Something Terry-esque, where the Puyo cast fights over who gets to be the Smash representative of the IP?
I'd like one like Joker's! My guess is it'd be kind of like the opening to Puyo Chronicles - Arle's doing something in... uh, Puyo world, and then something happens and she gets warped to an unknown location. Then she gets up and sees Mario or someone like that. :p

You know, I was thinking of how I'd make Arle's moveset at work (I actually came up with most of it, but don't really feel like writing it all down), and I think I had a pretty cool idea of how to implement Puyos. I thought that they could incorporate them into her throws!

...Yes, that sounds weird, but hear me out!

They could make it so that each of her throws sticks a different colored puyo to her opponent. So, basically something like this:

- Forward Throw always sticks Arle's opponent with a green puyo.

- Back Throw always sticks Arle's opponent with a red puyo.

- Up Throw always sticks Arle's opponent with a yellow puyo.

- Down Throw always sticks Arle's opponent with a blue puyo.

Got that? Okay, so if Arle forward throws Mario, he gets one green puyo stuck onto him for a limited (but fairly lengthy) amount of time.

If she gets Mario in another forward throw before the first one goes away, the plumber gets two green puyos stuck onto him. If she does it again, he gets three. And finally, if she does it just one more time, Mario gets four green puyos stuck onto him, which causes them to pop for massive damage.

A popping puyo throw would be the strongest throw in the game, it killing pretty darn early, but also taking a lot of setup to actually perform.

However, if Arle performed two forward throws and then decided to do a back throw, the chain would break, replacing the two green puyos with one red puyo (making her have to start all over again). Getting a popping throw would require Arle to perform the same throw four times in a row, basically.

This would make it so that Arle's actual moveset could be based around her various spells and such, while her throws reference a major Puyo Puyo mechanic, which would seamlessly mix "Madou Monogatari" and "Puyo Puyo" together in a single moveset!

*Ahem*... Feel free to tell me how dumb this idea is. I can take it.
This is a cool idea! I feel like the concept might work better if instead of adding Puyos using throws, it's done using one of her specials, and then the throws are used to pop the set. For example, you use the special to put a Puyo on your opponent, which can be done up to four times. Then, even once your opponent has four Puyos on them, they don't pop. A throw would be used to pop them for the damage and knockback boost, but you'd have to be careful to avoid throwing until you stuck four on them if you want the bonus.

So if you put one, two, or three Puyos on an opponent, and then threw them, no bonus happens, and all of the Puyos pop, bringing you back to zero. But if you wait until you've got four on them, and then throw, the bonuses happen. I feel like it might work a bit better this way since otherwise, spamming grabs might be the best way to play her. I like this idea, though! I guess if it was like this, then the game would just pick a color for you whenever you put the first Puyo of a new set.

Calane

Smash Ace
This is a cool idea! I feel like the concept might work better if instead of adding Puyos using throws, it's done using one of her specials, and then the throws are used to pop the set. For example, you use the special to put a Puyo on your opponent, which can be done up to four times. Then, even once your opponent has four Puyos on them, they don't pop. A throw would be used to pop them for the damage and knockback boost, but you'd have to be careful to avoid throwing until you stuck four on them if you want the bonus.

So if you put one, two, or three Puyos on an opponent, and then threw them, no bonus happens, and all of the Puyos pop, bringing you back to zero. But if you wait until you've got four on them, and then throw, the bonuses happen. I feel like it might work a bit better this way since otherwise, spamming grabs might be the best way to play her. I like this idea, though! I guess if it was like this, then the game would just pick a color for you whenever you put the first Puyo of a new set.
You make some very good suggestions! Thanks for the feedback, my dude.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Phoenix fans pretending that pics of the day even matter for fun
>this thread actually thinking this is the case
Yeah, no, we don't need any more "Rayman on ice" cases, thanks.

Look for hints in interviews and stuff, not the actual darned game. This isn't CTR Nitro-Fueled.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I never saw how the Rathalos pic could be tying to Golden. It just looked like a standard arena battle in that series with two fighters who got costumes in Gen Ultimate.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I have to say this support Arle has been getting is amazing and it makes me happy more and more people are considering her a legit pick for DLC. I really hope this support only keeps growing as we move forward.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Anyone saw Arle's design in that Pashamon mobile game last month?

View attachment 256359

Wouldn't mind if this how she looked in Smash

Actually this IS probably what she would look like if you removed the poppy artstyle from the actual games and try to fit her in smash so she doesnt stand out compared to the rest of the roster weirdly enough.
This is great! Very fun update to her classic design.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So I tried out Puyo Puyo for the first time....and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the gameplay is the same as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, which I played a lot of. I now have Puyo Puyo Champions and I'm hoping to get better at it. Now I really understand why people want Arle in Smash. She and the other characters add quite a bit of personality to the game.

Top Bottom