• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14031494&postcount=6318

Lol I see you. When you gonna get on that :glare:

G. Vice is white like rice

Hey so this is cool as ****

http://smacom2.mysns.tv/img.php?filename=dc_1327433_1_1317148608.jpg&m=pc

I was talking to a Japanese smasher earlier who knows a lot about frames and weird gameplay mechanics and ****, and he said this is a way to literally improve Fox's/Falco's (and a few other characters') ledgedash.

Far as I understand it (have yet to test myself) if you grab the ledge from a double jump (as opposed to from an up-B or side-B) your hitbox literally shrinks (note the size of the diamonds on the left vs. the right; on the right, they're somewhat cut off on the bottom) and you can input your airdodge up to 2 frames earlier during your ledgedash, because your feet's hitbox essentially isn't there. So instead of getting caught on the ledge and dying, you make it up to the stage quicker.

The implication here is that even if you don't care about 2 extra frames of invincibility, it makes not accidentally SD'ing fairly easier.

The bottom character is Falcon, who gets this weird property not after a double jump but after grabbing the ledge with an up-B. Apparently his ledgedash can improve by up to 5 frames but I don't play Falcon and re-grabbing the ledge with an up-B isn't as simple as re-grabbing the ledge with a double jump so I don't really care about him haha.

I guess the thing to do would be to grab the ledge again with a double jump before ledgedashing on.

Also, this may or may not be (need to test further) related to Doraki instant walljump, where double-jumping to grab the ledge puts you in a strange state. Then again you can Doraki instant walljump after grabbing the ledge with a firefox stall, so maybe it's different.

Incidentally the pictured character is Falco but from what my Japanese friend tells me this works with Fox too.
This is useful information. I think I know what he's talking about too. I always feel like I have to get over a "hump" when ledgedashing with Falcon or with spacies after a firefox/illusion recovery. I guess it's the wait for their legs to get over the edge, where in other situations that isn't a problem. Now that I think about it, double jumping and ledgedashing is my preferred recovery with any character, which makes sense now. A lot of people also do an extra double jump on the edge before wavelanding, which may reflect a natural intuition for this phenomenon. Sure it gives you time to prepare, but it also apparently makes it much easier. Though it can telegraph your intentions. (Mixups though: jump -> airdodge ***** Marth! Also wavelanding onto the lip of the stage with invincibility).

Anyway, the Falcon thing in particular is interesting. 5 extra frames!? I don't see it coming up much though, because when Falcon makes it to the edge with an up-b, the opponent is usually lagging after whiffing a move and thus the invincibility doesn't matter. But there are times when Falcon is deceptive with his recovery coming from above, grabs the edge with up-b, then does an immediate aerial. Sometimes this aerial feels like it has an unusual amount of invincibility (going through moves meant to stifle Falcon coming from the edge). Guess it makes sense now. Yeaaa, more options!

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Lol I see you. When you gonna get on that :glare:

G. Vice is white like rice
Bro, do you have any idea how hard it is to try to incorporate ANYTHING when you're constantly trying not to get combo'd or shined?

Lol, besides I don't sit around day dreaming of hypothetical instances to which I can apply new smash bros techniques. I don't have that luxury :(

just gotta get it in when I'm able I guess, so idk truly.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Bro, do you have any idea how hard it is to try to incorporate ANYTHING when you're constantly trying not to get combo'd or shined?

Lol, besides I don't sit around day dreaming of hypothetical instances to which I can apply new smash bros techniques. I don't have that luxury :(

just gotta get it in when I'm able I guess, so idk truly.
Yeah actually I do, I only practice and try my ideas in actual matches against people who know what they're doing (aka you guys).

Thinking of new things isn't a process, at least not for me. It either comes to you in an instant, or it doesn't. Besides, in this case I did all the work for you. Now you just have to start using it (which isn't even a hard technique to begin with). The applications will come to you as you try it out... you don't have to sit around thinking of every scenario in every matchup and wondering when it might work.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Yeah actually I do, I only practice and try my ideas in actual matches against people who know what they're doing (aka you guys).

Thinking of new things isn't a process, at least not for me. It either comes to you in an instant, or it doesn't. Besides, in this case I did all the work for you. Now you just have to start using it (which isn't even a hard technique to begin with). The applications will come to you as you try it out... you don't have to sit around thinking of every scenario in every matchup and wondering when it might work.
I guess I just play the game and if something strikes me as a good idea I do it. You kinda are the smash brains and stuff, I just wait for you to discover good stuff and I jack it :D

at least when it comes to the stuff that is in new development. I still like to consider myself innovative in my own way. Kinda.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I guess I just play the game and if something strikes me as a good idea I do it. You kinda are the smash brains and stuff, I just wait for you to discover good stuff and I jack it :D

at least when it comes to the stuff that is in new development. I still like to consider myself innovative in my own way. Kinda.
You have your own innovations, but there are things no one really uses with Ganon that you could start taking advantage of. Even still, I'm only pushing this one so hard because it's a relatively simple technique that could bring you noticeable results in the short term.

Also warlock kick techchasing ;) Covers 3/4 options (4/4 by the edge), pushes them off the stage at any decent percent, and puts even more fear in the opponent of Ganon's control playstyle.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
You have your own innovations, but there are things no one really uses with Ganon that you could start taking advantage of. Even still, I'm only pushing this one so hard because it's a relatively simple technique that could bring you noticeable results in the short term.

Also warlock kick techchasing ;) Covers 3/4 options (4/4 by the edge), pushes them off the stage at any decent percent, and puts even more fear in the opponent of Ganon's control playstyle.
Warlock kicks suckkkkkkks

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Lol okay that's borderline hilarious.

Arby did I tell you recently my stats on the benchpress? Even with my bad shoulders I've gotten to where I feel pretty strong again :)

185 lbs = 25 reps
195 lbs = 20 reps
205 lbs = 14 reps
215 lbs = 10 reps
225 lbs = 8 reps

That's decline. Incline is more shoulder, so I just use 50 lb dumbbells and go for 25-35 reps and feel the burn.

Then shrugs @ 150 lbs x 3 sets of 15

Then flies with the cable machine @ 50 lbs max rep til the burn stops me.

And that's Monday :)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I was watching this Legend of Zelda rap...it was pretty hilarious. He and Ganon have a rap battle at the end it's pretty good.

I just wish there was an edited version. It does block the "bad" words though.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Great balls of fire, 6 hours of Spanish homework and I didn't even finish by the deadline. Time to study for the French test tomorrow :glare:

How was the movie?

---
Willy Bob Thorton, Vts and I are probably going to the next Springfield tourney (on the 25?). Can you go?

Vts

Smash Champion
Great balls of fire, 6 hours of Spanish homework and I didn't even finish by the deadline. Time to study for the French test tomorrow :glare:

How was the movie?

---
Willy Bob Thorton, Vts and I are probably going to the next Springfield tourney (on the 25?). Can you go?
idk if i'm working requesting off later today once i go into work.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
idk if i'm working requesting off later today once i go into work.
Well fine. And here I was committing.

nice picture btw

G. Vice: "Waah you get punished so hard when it misses."
Dad: "OH WOE IS ME. When did I ever raise this child to be the gay boy he is today."

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Depends, will you guys be picking me up? If so, can we be back Saturday night? It's probably gonna be difficult for me to get off, but if I promises to work extra on other days he might let me off Friday night and Saturday.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, got details for the first Game Ever Melee tournament. There will be two tournaments- a "hardcore" one and a more casual one. I think you can only enter one of the tournaments, so choose wisely. The hardcore one I believe will be $10 tournament fee (+ tax) and the casual one will be $5 tournament fee (+ tax). There is no entry fee. The hardcore tournament will give out $100 to 1st place guaranteed. No other places get a prize. The casual tournament will get a mystery prize to be provided by Game Ever (no idea what it is). Rules will be tournament standard. Bracket will be double elim. I'll ask for assistance on seeding. Blah blah blah, you guys know the drill. All equipment will be provided by the venue. You can't use your own controllers. Sorry guys.

Here's what I need from you guys- what's the current Melee ruleset? Is the MBR 2012 ruleset in effect now? Should I use it? Or if not, which one should I use? Thanks guys.

EDIT: Sorry, edited in +tax to the tourney fee. So it'll be a little more than $10 and a little more than $5 for the two tournies.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, got details for the first Game Ever Melee tournament. There will be two tournaments- a "hardcore" one and a more casual one. I think you can only enter one of the tournaments, so choose wisely. The hardcore one I believe will be $10 tournament fee (+ tax) and the casual one will be $5 tournament fee (+ tax). There is no entry fee. The hardcore tournament will give out $100 to 1st place guaranteed. No other places get a prize. The casual tournament will get a mystery prize to be provided by Game Ever (no idea what it is). Rules will be tournament standard. Bracket will be double elim. I'll ask for assistance on seeding. Blah blah blah, you guys know the drill. All equipment will be provided by the venue. You can't use your own controllers. Sorry guys.

Here's what I need from you guys- what's the current Melee ruleset? Is the MBR 2012 ruleset in effect now? Should I use it? Or if not, which one should I use? Thanks guys.

EDIT: Sorry, edited in +tax to the tourney fee. So it'll be a little more than $10 and a little more than $5 for the two tournies.
Thanks dude. Yeah, the 2012 ruleset is in action. All this functionally means is no Brinstar, Kongo, or Rainbow Cruise. *Oh, and no bans in best of 5.

Hey bros, you know you wanna enter the amateur bracket and win that mystery prize :troll:

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice

How was the movie?

---
It was good! I only had two quibbles, and one of them was the credit song.

It was kinda a mixture of Akira, David from Animorphs, and Griffith with a Cloverfield camera setup minus the shakeycam.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
You know that if I could be there to knock you into losers I would. :troll:
I was looking into the Swedish music scene, and it was like I was reading one of your playlists.

Eagle-Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
Roxette - The Look, Listen to Your Heart
Ace of Base - The Sign
Basshunter
Cardigans - Lovefool

Also (most of these were radio hits over here):
ABBA - Dancing Queen aka the most perfect pop song ever
The Caesars - Jerk It Out
Titiyo - Come Along <--- Eagle-Eye Cherry's sister
Peter Bjorn & John - Young Folks <--- For Vts
Air France - No Excuses
Jens Lekman - The Cold Swedish Winter
Kent - Kräm
Robyn - Dancing On My Own <--- For Jason
Going back to the Cardigans because I love them - Erase/Rewind (sooo good), My Favourite Game
Out of my own twisted need to categorize everything, I think of them like an intermediary step between Sixpence None the Richer and the Delgados, in terms of seriousness. Jason would probably like all three bands knowing him. Female vocals + catchy songs = he's already dead.

The Swedish surely know how to write a hook.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
It was good! I only had two quibbles, and one of them was the credit song.

It was kinda a mixture of Akira, David from Animorphs, and Griffith with a Cloverfield camera setup minus the shakeycam.
This song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVnhI6meKb0
Honestly I don't understand the appeal of that band.

I'm sad I missed it now :( And 50/50... True Grit...... bah humbug.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it was that one. I don't really care one way or the other about the song itself, but it was totally out of place given the mood of the final scene.

I'm rich now, maybe I'll take you on a date this week.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it was that one. I don't really care one way or the other about the song itself, but it was totally out of place given the mood of the final scene.

I'm rich now, maybe I'll take you on a date this week.
I get out of class at noon today, so the sooner we get together the better. I'd like to come back super unreasonably early so I can do Thursday's homework/get a full 9 hours. On the other hand, my weekend is as free as the deep blue sea and the animals that live down under thee!

arbustos

Smash Journeyman

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
I was looking into the Swedish music scene, and it was like I was reading one of your playlists.

Eagle-Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
Roxette - The Look, Listen to Your Heart
Ace of Base - The Sign
Basshunter
Cardigans - Lovefool

Also (most of these were radio hits over here):
ABBA - Dancing Queen aka the most perfect pop song ever
The Caesars - Jerk It Out
Titiyo - Come Along <--- Eagle-Eye Cherry's sister
Peter Bjorn & John - Young Folks <--- For Vts
Air France - No Excuses
Jens Lekman - The Cold Swedish Winter
Kent - Kräm
Robyn - Dancing On My Own <--- For Jason
Going back to the Cardigans because I love them - Erase/Rewind (sooo good), My Favourite Game
Out of my own twisted need to categorize everything, I think of them like an intermediary step between Sixpence None the Richer and the Delgados, in terms of seriousness. Jason would probably like all three bands knowing him. Female vocals + catchy songs = he's already dead.

The Swedish surely know how to write a hook.
When America fails to provide the music you need, you have no choice but to look over seas. The sweeds do have a lot of my favorite music. Where was eurithmics from?

Nvm, they are British.

Lol, we just need to follow Iori around and record him talking/hyping up random things.
:phone:

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Check out these OGs
"Wiki article for "My Favourite Game" said:
The song was written about the band's love of playing Gran Turismo, especially while on their tour bus.
That's the first Gran Turismo. They actually named their best album after it. I think that's PRETTY SWEET.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jHPeu6i87k

Found that on my computer, thought I would throw it on youtube for everyone to laugh at.
LOL I bet he'll appreciate the upload

Top Bottom