• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona Monthly Melee/Brawl Tournament: NAME PENDING

Mysterious Mr.L

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, Mysterious Mr.L here. I'm here to announce a new AZ Melee/Brawl tournament which will be known as NAME PENDING. We will be hosting both Melee and Brawl, with Singles and Doubles. There is no entry fee, so anyone can come and enter. The venue is at the Mesquite Branch Public Library. It will be held in a big room near the entrance, away from the library. There will be free snacks and drinks. (Maybe cake, but you know..)

Rules for Brawl are as follows:
General rules:
Double Elimination
3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"
All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)
In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

TOs must move stages from the starter/counterpick into either the starter or counterpick categories and must move stages from counterpick/banned into either the counterpick or banned categories.

Stages in the Starter/Counter and Counter/Banned list did not receive 2/3 majority, indicating no consensus could be reached on the stage.

The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages. There are up to 8 stages available for stages striking under the SBR stage list (4 in starter, 4 in starter/counter). We recommend as a TO that you decide on the ideal number of stages to use for striking at your tournaments (3, 5, 7).

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

Banned
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Norfair
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Flat Zone 2
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Onett
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Skyworld
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Additional Rules for Doubles Play
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON
Hanenbow may be moved from Ban to Counterpick for Doubles

Rules for Melee are as follows:
General Rules:

* Double Elimination
* 4 Stock
* 8 Minute Time Limit (Ties broken by lives/percentage)
* Items Off
* B.Y.O.C.
* Wobbling is BANNED
* Advanced slob picks is in effect
* As is DSR (Dave's Stupid Rule)

No controller mods that aren't purely cosmetic
No stalling
No crazy glitches (IC's Freeze)
Mewtwo's Soul Stunner glitch if you are given the circumstances (i.e. It won't happen)

Stages: (Random Select in Singles)

* Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Stages: (Counterpicks in Singles)

* Dream Land: Green Greens
* DK Island: Jungle Japes
* Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
* Lylat System: Corneria
* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mute City
* Rainbow Cruise

Stages: (Random Select in Doubles)

* Kongo Jungle 64
* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Stages: (Counterpicks in Doubles)

* Dream Land: Green Greens
* DK Island: Jungle Japes
* Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
* Lylat System: Corneria
* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Rainbow Cruise

The first tournament will be held on June 20th at 1:00pm, but it is recommended you come earlier for friendlies and help setting up.

BRING SET UPS!!! WE NEED AS MANY TVS, GAMECUBES AND WII'S THAT WE CAN GET.

Also, bring your own contoller.

Venue address:
http://www.phoenixpubliclibrary.org/branchinfo.jsp?bid=BME

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Don't hold it on June 20th.

That's Devastation. NO ONE will go to this that day.

Mysterious Mr.L

Smash Rookie
Sorry, but the 20th was the only day they could do it. For the second one though, I'll demand a better date.

Also, which Rules you talking about Rugo? Brawl or Melee?

Starking

Smash Cadet
Like, can't this be held two weeks after Devastation?

Why no Entry Fee? Unless you mean Venue Fee?

Mysterious Mr.L

Smash Rookie
Fixed, thanks Rugo. Also about the No Entry Fee thing. I'll basically explain it the way the librarian did to me.

"We are a PUBLIC library. And you want to host something that will be open to the PUBLIC, but if you charge money to enter, then it will be for EXCLUSIVE people who have the money to enter. We cannot host EXCLUSIVE events."

Stupid, I know, but meh, free food.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Then just don't do it.

No one in their right mind is going to pick this over Devastation, and I doubt anyone will show up for this anyway unless they're in the area without the entry fee.

Mysterious Mr.L

Smash Rookie
Which is what we're hoping for. The library already told me that they would advertise the event on their website and in the libraries. (Even the ones in Mesa.) So we're just hoping this will bring in newcomers. I already know it's on devastation is going to be that weekend, I know I won't expect much, but some things have to start small and grow.

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
i highly urge you to switch dates... absolutely no one will show and no entry fee ='s get a new venue... sorry sad but true. 2 major things going against you... but hey... it might bring in new people... you never know :)

Starking

Smash Cadet
Dark Shifter comes through to save the day?

Otherwise, pretty much everyone else is in the same boat.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Entry Fee isn't something that's holding this tournament back... >_> Honestly, Barlw is played by Melee players so they can make money, but this is not something which holds true in AZ. $50/tourney? Just get a job.

It's the fact that it's on the weekend of Devastation.
---
but some things have to start small and grow.
Lol. Well you're doing it wrong.

:V

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I agree; the idea is really good (free entry and food = casuals having nothing to lose) EXCEPT for the timing. I mean, even the tourney players will go just to hang out with their friends; we have smashfests for free, don't we?

Anyhow, if *you* don't plan to go to Devastation you should still hold it just for the casual turnout. Heck, they'll be more likely to show up a second time if we aren't there to crush their dreams ^_^

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Anyhow, if *you* don't plan to go to Devastation you should still hold it just for the casual turnout. Heck, they'll be more likely to show up a second time if we aren't there to crush their dreams ^_^
Oh wait, I forgot about that.

Casuals actually don't like getting their **** wrecked.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sounds cool. Like everyone said, don't expect a single good player to show up on the 20th since Devastation will be right here in Phoenix.

There's no problem with free, either, except you'll continue to not have the best players show up, as some of them won't spend the day smashing if they can't win some cash. But still, I'll probably come if I'm free and bored for one of your future events.

Afterfall

Smash Rookie
Well, as I'm not getting Dev money by then, I'm totally coming to this one. Hopefully. I've said that about so many things in the past and it gets jinxed. :laugh:

Top Bottom