• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you dissapointed Dark Pit was a clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyCakes

Banned via Warnings
well I don't mind but why taunt us with the official art where he held the STAFF and he even uses the STAFF in his Final smash but I like how he plays so im ok with it

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
The only disappointing thing about him to me is that he uses almost all of the same weapons as Pit. Yeah he's a clone of Pit (in both games) so of course he should have similar properties and appearance, but he isn't tied down to using the same weapons as Pit. If he used his staff instead of his bow all the time that alone would have been a huge improvement imo

For specials he could have used a claw dash instead of an arm dash. Down special he could have used eyetrack orbitars that would home in on targets on both sides, they would nullify attacks instead of reflecting them and have a longer range than Pit's guardian orbs but wouldn't give as much defense, keeping it similar in concept to Pit's down special but still being very different

Final smash he could have used something similar to Pit's in Brawl, he unleashes the power of Pandora he absorbed and causes chaos orbs to fly around the stage attacking enemies, instead of copying Zelda/Sheik's

AIM0001

Smash Lord
He is nothing more than a filler to make the roster look bigger. He could have easily been an ALT along with Dr. Mario and Lucina. in fact maybe just not have Lucina in this game in any capacity....

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I'm not really disappointed with Dark Pit's inclusion. Granted I didn't think he'd get in (didn't think he'd be popular enough to get a spot), but after playing Uprising (to around Chapter 21) I had decided that I like Dark Pit as a character more than anyone else in the game, excepting Pit, maybe. So I like seeing him in the roster more than Palutena. But I know my opinion's probably of a stark minority.

Frankly I didn't expect anything in particular about the roster. From my understanding there are about 3-4 clones in Smash 4, which is less than Melee's clone count, and I think less than Brawl's too. And the roster itself is the largest in the series at 49 (51 if Miis are considered to be 3 total), so the clone rate of Smash 4 is pretty low. I mean, yes, a lot of people don't ever like clones, and I can see why, but, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least a few clones since each game in the series has had them.

If part of the reason Dark Pit made it in was bias on Sakurai's part, then so be it. It's probably not a very professional thing, of course, but for the most part I don't have a problem with Sakurai doing this sort of thing. I've never personally seen it to be detrimental, at least for me.

I don't mean to impose on anyone with my opinion though. If anyone has a problem with something I said, feel free to tell me.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I imagine the reason that Dark Pit was even included was because he could easily be made as a clone with the remaining development time. Better than him not being in at all, I suppose.

Ty.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brotag
3DS FC
1375-7362-1938
I'm more disappointed that he's almost completely identical to Pit. He's not like Falco or Luigi where he has noticeable differences. Kind of makes me wonder why characters like Alph are alternates while Dark Pit gets to be his own thing.

I like the character though so I can't say I hate his inclusion, I just don't think he deserves a spot on the CSS. He's pretty popular in Japan isn't he? Maybe that influenced Sakurai's decision a little.

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
Dark Pit isn't a character who really deserves a unique moveset. If they had the development time to make another fully original character, then I can think of about 20 or 30 other characters who would be an overall better pick than a recolored Pit. Hades and Medusa just to name a couple.

Dark Pit is best as a clone because then it only take a fraction of the time to develop him and he isn't causing any time constraints that could have gone to more important characters and features. He isn't a high-priority or very popular/important character compared to many other potential fighter, but as a clone, it's fitting. Same for Doctor Mario, and to some extent Lucina (though while she is actually kind of popular, FE really didn't need 4 entirely unique reps).

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I'm more disappointed with what they did with Lady Palutena than Dark Pit, giving her so many more unique moves than everyone else. I think if Dark Pit was a totally original character it would have been a waste of time. Think about it, if he wasn't a clone then another newcomer would not be in the game. So I am thankful that he is a clone.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I'm more disappointed with what they did with Lady Palutena than Dark Pit, giving her so many more unique moves than everyone else.
Pretty much this. I'm fine with Pittoo as a clone, but giving Palutena so many different moves compared to everybody else was kind of stupid, in my opinion.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm fine with Dark Pit's inclusion but I wish Dark Pit inherited Pit's old moveset from Brawl but with his current Final Smash if only to make Dark Pit not a clone of Pit in SSB4... at least Dr. Mario is no longer a clone of Mario thanks to the tornao down special returning from Melee.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
think about it , Dark Pit was already shown in the Palutena Trailer, another thing to point was Lucina didn't get a trailer either, she was in Robin's Trailer, because they are "complete" clones, and that is why awhile ago, Lucina didnt have a newcomer logo, she is a clone of Marth, so the same will probably go to Dark Pit. Sorry people who wanted a Dark Pit and Dr. Mario Trailer.
though most likly Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt will.

any objections?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Yeah, probably. I was honestly surprised nobody seen Dark Pit coming nearly as much as they should have. After all, him being in the trailer certainly made him extremely viable. Excited to see a Duck Hunt and a Bowser Jr. trailer since there probably will be those to look forward to. :bubblebobble:

Raido

Smash Apprentice
Really? People thought he would get a trailer? xD

Why would they waste money on that? Trailers are made to hype you. Nobody is hyped by clones...

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Personally i wanna main him but still Y U NO MAKE DARK PIT USE THE STAFF SAKURAI! He had potential but he's a clone so what are my thoughts dissapointment -_-
me i dont really care im happy as long as any character gets in plus dark pit im curious to try out hes awesome but wiidude hates him plus its like asking whats my opinion on lucina getting in shes a clone to

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Personally i wanna main him but still Y U NO MAKE DARK PIT USE THE STAFF SAKURAI! He had potential but he's a clone so what are my thoughts dissapointment -_-
also honestly its just 1 character 1 CHARACTER!!! out of 51(yes im including mii fighters) if you dont like the character then dont pick him noone ia forcing you to plus hes not required to unlock the other characters you can do that in vs matches only thing he unlocks is his trophy

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much this. I'm fine with Pittoo as a clone, but giving Palutena so many different moves compared to everybody else was kind of stupid, in my opinion.
in fairness the miis have more than twice as many moves as palutena

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, WHO would disagree and say, "YES, DARK PIT IS A CLONE. THIS IS DEFINITELY WHAT I WANTED" ?

Just look at the other thread. The biggest complaint about him is that he's the clone of all clones.
no hes pretty much a clone is he exactly what i wanted no not really but regardless im happy for him and im happy for the differences he does have plus remember sakurai said so himself if theres even a slight difference in the character they get their own slot

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
in fairness the miis have more than twice as many moves as palutena
It's fair with the Miis. They are SUPPOSED to be customizable. Palutena on the other hand, has nothing to do with player customization, and was a stupid decision to make to giver so many specials.

Also, word of warning, multi-posting is frowned upon. You can multi-quote in a single post.

Last edited:

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
It's fair with the Miis. They are SUPPOSED to be customizable. Palutena on the other hand, has nothing to do with player customization, and was a stupid decision to make to giver so many specials.

Also, word of warning, multi-posting is frowned upon. You can multi-quote in a single post.
fair enough

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Really? People thought he would get a trailer? xD

Why would they waste money on that? Trailers are made to hype you. Nobody is hyped by clones...
Lucina had a trailer. And it was the hypest trailer you ever did see. (Yeah i know Robin was there too but it started with her...)
Also yeah Lucina didn't get a poster. At least Dark Pit's in Palutena's poster.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
Lucina had a trailer. And it was the hypest trailer you ever did see. (Yeah i know Robin was there too but it started with her...)
Also yeah Lucina didn't get a poster. At least Dark Pit's in Palutena's poster.
Lucina didn't get a trailer. Lucina was just part of Robin's trailer like Charizard was a part of Greninja's trailer.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
When he was 1st revealed in the leak, I knew straight away he would be a Pit clone, but better (wished he used his staff besides his final smash), but either way I'm happy to take him as my main even if he is a clone (making him the 1st main that's not from Pokémon).

xXEnderSeanXx

Smash Rookie
The only thing that sets this character apart from Pit is that he looks different, his final smash is different, and so are his victory poses and themes. But what is strange is that for some odd reason I still do not have any problem with this character. In fact he is my main. I guess the reason is that he just builds on the awesomeness of :4pit:.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Not to necro this, but I did have a few ideas.

Neutral B: Silver Bow. It loses damage the further it flies and it's hard to control, but it moves MUCH quicker. At max charge, it stuns.
Or as an alternative:
Dark Pit Staff: Works similarly to ROB's Neutral B. It fires a small shot similar to the Autoreticle shot when uncharged, but over time it charges. At max charge, it works similarly to the current Final Smash, but weaker. Damage scales with distance.
Side B:
Electroshock Arm.
I can live with it.
Up B: Power of Flight. Give him Pandora's Power of Flight/Viridi's Power of Flight (if you want to give the shippers fuel...). You flyy a shorter distance, but slowly descend, similar to Jump Glide.
Down B: Gemini Orbitars.
Seeing as how they were found in Dark Pit's stage, they'd work. They shoot a projectile from either side that flies straight, then homes in on the foe. Not shield like, but cancels minor projectiles like Fox's laser.

Final Smash: Lightning Chariot.
Dark Pit flies off stage, and returns on the left side on the Lightning Chariot. He dashes from left to right, dealing decent damage and knockback, similar to Beast Ganon, but weaker and smaller. He then moves from right to left, then left to right one more time before dismounting.

ShadowSlashX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowSlash17
3DS FC
0216-0883-7959
I would've liked a moveset with Claws from Uprising. Particularly the Tiger Claws(although the Beam Claws would do nicely too).

Neutral A- 3 hits ending with a kick that launches upwards, and infinite jab is a flurry of slashes followed by a kick that launches at a more horizontal angle.

Ftilt- Two kicks in quick succession while DP is supporting himself with one hand.

Utilt- Backflip kick hitting once.

Dtilt- Sweeping kick launching mostly straight up.

Fsmash- Two very fast(as fast as Pit's first Fsmash hit), short range slashes, followed by a X-Slash with longer reach activated by pressing A again.

Usmash- Same as Pit but doing two kicks first then a launching slash. More horizontal range, but less overall power.

Dsmash- Same as Greninja but with Claws.

Dash- Simple slash with both Claws. Same as Melee Dash Attack in Uprising.

Aerials would still use the Silver Bow and be the same for the Uair, Nair, and Dair. Fair and Bair go to Brawl Pit style.

Neutral B- Dark Pit Staff. A super fast, piercing shot that can be aimed while charging. If used before charged up, it shoots 3 weaker shots that can be controlled in the air.

Side B- Similar to Ike's QuickDraw, using the Samurai Blade.

Up B- Same

Down B- Guardian Orbitars only in front, and deals weak damage to anyone close enough. Reflects projectiles.

Final Smash- Arrow Rain like he did in Uprising against Pit, followed by a fast charge by DP using the Power of Flight.

SullyJay

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dejay15
3DS FC
4081-6913-3923
Honestly after I played him in the game, he can keep most of his moveset. Instead of what Dr. Mario is to Mario, or Lucina is to Marth. I would have him be more like what Falco was to Fox, Lucas to Ness, Luigi to Mario
These are the only changes I would make

Entry Animation: He smashes out of the Mirror of truth with a kick

Neutral-b: Shoots the Dark Pit staff's continuous fire. When not used overtime it becomes a charge shot who's Damage increases with distance. Charge shot has similar aiming properties to his Silver bow

Up-B: Uses HIS power of flight from Pandora, that is all (Not Viridi's)

Jab-Combo: Uses the Kid Icarus: Uprising Bow Melee attack, Three Hit Combo that sends opponents horizontally

Forward Tilt: A three hit combo using the Pandora Claws. A Slash, Slash, Kick combo, the kick launches people upward like how it does in Kid Icarus: Uprising's multi-player. Good for combo starting and juggles.

Up-Air: Stabs the Silver Bow Blade upwards and brings them down to his sides, a similar motion to Greninja's Up-Smash, basically his in-game Forward Tilt as an Up-Air

Back-Air: A Backwards Thrusting Kick referencing how He kicked Pit after Defeating Pandora.

Up-Throw: Seismic Toss using his Power of Flight

Down Throw: Slams his opponent on the Ground and Stabs his Silver Bow through them, Think of his victory animation. He can then follow up with a aerial.

Final Smash: He hops into the Lightning Chariot then flies it back and forth across the screen at a high speeds dealing damage by ramming opponents, similar to Latias and Latios. He then hops off and finishes with a powerful charge shot from the ogre club.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I wouldn't have minded if somehow he got some of Project M Pit's moves. I love Pit's Up-B in Project M, it's hilarious to me.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Silver Bow, Claws, Staff.......Well, let's see what my infinitely creative mind comes up with here?

Moveset A: Silver Bow
Non-mentioned moves are exactly like Pit's.

Side Tilt: Brawl Pit's.
Dash attack: Either a jumping kick akin to Fox or the Bow dash attack from Uprising.
Forward Aerial: Fires a quick, short-ranged shot from the bow, just like Mii Gunner's Fair.
Downward Aerial: a Falcon kick. Literally just a Falcon Kick without the flames, plus a Meteor Smash if hit with the start of the move.

Neutral Special: Silver Bow. Fires an Arrow of darkness that's faster and stronger than Pit's with less range.
Side-B: Dark Pit Staff. Fires a charged shot from the staff, stronger with range. Hold for rapid fire.
Up-B: Pandora/Viridi's Power of Flight. Dark Pit's wings shine with a purple/green glow, and Dark Pit can move in all directions, with a limit on how far upwards he can go, before slowing his fall with a gliding stance, similar to Jump Glide, except slightly better in the height area.
Down-B: Gemini Orbitars. Fires on either side before flying towards each other diagonally. Hitting a foe or connecting to the other with cause the shots to vanish. Getting hit by both at the same time causes massive damage.

Final Smash: (Since he's stuck in Viridi's Forces of Nature) Dark Pit hails to the sky as the Lightning Chariot rams the enemy, bringing them to a white void as Phosphera zaps the foes a few times and then Dark Pit rams the foes again with the Chariot.

Moveset B: Tiger Claws

AAA: Slash, slash, kick. Flurry slashes end with an upward kick aimed at the jaw.
Side A: A side kick.
Dash A: KI:U Claws Dash Attack/Jump kick.
Up A: Two upward claw strikes
Down A: Claw swipe.
Side Smash: Similar to Pit's side tilt, but with claws instead of blades.
Up Smash: Dark Pit jumps and springs on his hands to kick forwards and upwards, performing a half backflip, before jumping back up and landing on his feet.
Down Smash: Greninja's with Claws.

Nair: Kick, just like Mario/Luigi/Link etc.
Fair: swipes forward with both claws similar to Charged Shot firing animation.
Dair: Falcon Kick without flames. Meteor Smash at beginning.
Bair: similar to Pit's Bair, but with Claws.
Uair: Sheik/ZSS's Uair, but with claws/hands instead of feet.

Neutral B: Claws Shot. Hold for Rapid Fire.
Side B: Staff Shot. Hold for Rapid Fire.
Up B: Viridi's Flight. Similar to Jump Glide, but more vertical distance.
Down B: Counter. Uses the Counter power while taking a defensive stance.

Grapple attack: stabs with claws.
Forward throw: Kicked forward and blasts with Charged Shot.
Down Throw: Lays them down and stabs with claws.
Back Throw: Kicks them backwards.
Up Throw: Tosses upwards and stabs with both claws.

Final Smash: Forces of Nature. Rather than calling in the mooks, Dark Pit charges forwards like Marth/Lucina's Critical Hit. If the foe(s) get hit, the find themselves in a white void as Dark Pit, Phosphera, and Arlon deliver a brutal beating similar to Shulk's Chain Attack before getting launched by Dark Pit.
Alternate Final Smash: Delayed Claws. Simply charges forward and through the enemy, posing with the claws before they get launched with a dramatic camera angle.

Moveset C: Dark Pit Staff.

AAA: The staff combo from Uprising.
Side A: Thrusts the firing end of the staff forward similar to Marth's Shield Breaker animation.
Dash A: uses staff to pole-vault forwards while kicking.
Up A: Same as Pit's, but using the staff to balance instead.
Down A: Stabs forward at the ground with firing end just like Marth's DTilt.
Side Smash: attacks with slower, broader, more powerful versions of the first two swings from AAA.
Up Smash: Thrusts staff upwards like Marths, but fires a charged shot that explodes just a few inches from the end of the staff.
Down Smash: Thrusts staff forwards while firing backwards to hit on both sides. Shot dissipates/explodes a few feet away from Dark Pit.

Nair: Thrusts staff backwards while kicking forwards with one leg.
Fair: Fires staff forward like Mii Gunner Fair
Dair: Fires a shot straight downwards. Meteor Smash if hit with staff.
Bair: Kicks backward twice.
Uair: Attacks upward with staff

Neutral B: Staff Shot. The Reticle appears and Dark Pit fires a charged shot. Damage increases with distance. If held momentarily, can be aimed upwards. Hold afterwards for rapid fire.
Side B: Angelic Missile. Just like Palutena's move, though can be aimed upwards if button is held momentarily.
Up B: Power of Flight. Free-range flight for five seconds.
Down B: Reflect.

Grapple attack: Knee to gut.
Forward Throw: Kicks them forward and shoots them.
Down Throw: lays them on the ground and shoots them in the chest.
Back Throw: tosses backwards, stabs, and then shoots without turning around.
Up Throw: throws upwards and shoots.

Final Smash: Sniper Special. Flies in front of the screen, in the middle, and uses the Staff Special Move from Uprising.
Alternative Final Smash: Dark Pit Staff Overload. Same as current FS: Just like Zelda/Sheik's.

And those are Dark Pit's movesets if Sakurai actually spent a little more time on him like he did with Doctor Mario and Lucina. honestly, the least he could've done was make Dark Pit actually stronger and slower. He's carrying more equipment than Pit, and on top of that, while Pit has the speed-boosting Upperdash Arm, Dark Pit has the slower Dark Pit Staff and Electroshock Arm.

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
If anyone cares about canon, Dark Pit loses his ability to freely fly in Chapter 22, "Scorched Wings". Viridi's Power of Flight would be accurate though, canonically.

Maikou

Smash Ace
If anyone cares about canon, Dark Pit loses his ability to freely fly in Chapter 22, "Scorched Wings". Viridi's Power of Flight would be accurate though, canonically.
BLASPHEMY! What MADDNESS is this? CANON??!! YOUR CURSE IS FOREIGN, BUT IT EXISTS! YOU MUST DIE!!11!!!

....Okay, no, not really, but seriously, don't mention "canon" around people. People from Fanfiction or Fimfiction in general: the number one rule of Fanfiction to murder canon as much as possible and assassinate the characters and whatever uniqueness they have. You would not believe the amount of fanfiction daily I see that are all about fantasy characters in stupid High-School settings that they have no business being in.

Not to sound egotistical or anything, but I'd like you to look at my movesets if you truly want canon. And seriously, my mind never stops coming up with ideas for things like movesets and stories.

SirTechSupport

Smash Rookie
At first I wasn't happy that dark pit was in the game, I then decided to try him out and found to like him more than pit so I then decided to make him my main

ShadowSlashX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShadowSlash17
3DS FC
0216-0883-7959
I did want Dark Pit in the game, but I expected him to be a color swap. Like maybe having 4 Pit colors and 4 Dark Pit colors. I would've liked it if he was more unique, but when I think about it, the only other weapon I could see him using is really his Staff, which would likely make him a slower character. It would've been cool if they went with Brawl Pit Moveset, but even cooler if DP used a variety of weapons from KIU as opposed to just 3. Overall, I'm only disappointed in his arrows being flat out worse than Pit's.

Sykofantia

Smash Rookie
I think it's for the best he is a clone however i wish one of his moves was the dark pit staff(instead of final smash but it's w/e tbh) it compliments the game that he is a clone being in the game he LITERALLY is a clone

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I didn't expect Dark Pit to make it in. Before Palutena's reveal I expected her as another KI character and if Dark Pit would make it it would be as an alt of Pit with different voice work (we were half right there). And the times he crossed my mind as a fighter, I always assumed that if he ever was in he would be a clone, after all he is literally a mirror copy of Pit.

So no, I'm not dissapointed because I wasn't even expecting his inclusion as a unique character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom