• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you a good brawl teacher?

Mashour2

Smash Apprentice
My older brother isn't good at brawl and I had no one near me to play with. So I eventually gave him some tips, tactics, etc. Eventually, he became much better, but he still couldn't match up with my skill.

Did you ever teach anyone to play brawl?
Share your wisdom with SWF!

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
I taught one of my good friends how to play brawl in about 2 hours.
He killed a lvl nine computer in three stock with two lives left :D

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, I'd consider myself a pretty good noob teacher. I'm not the one to get character specific, or into great details about AT's, n' stuff, though. I show them where to go, and make them learn for themselves after they're done being a TOTAL noob (TOTAL noob being unable to consistently beat a lvl 9 with at least two stocks left). After that, it's just research and practice. If I play as the same character they're using, I can give them pointers, though, but not entirely helpful. It's an enthralling experience.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Heh heh heh...I think I believe I created a little monster...

I'm telling you, once my little brother is old enough to drive, he'll be owning at allllllll the Brawl Tourneys!

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
I taught a friend how to play as a Ganondorf. Holy crap, he is really good at it, uses the D-Air spike when he gets the chance.

mzink*

Smash Ace
My friends are too prideful to take smash tips from me. I've tried, but they just ignore me and try to find their own stubborn ways lolz. One of my friends even quit rather than letting me help them lol.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
I taught my sister Wario , and now I think she is the best 10 yr old in Norcal( maybe, haha). Just taught her which moves aare used for killing, which moves to never use, how to recover, and I let her do the rest.

Dokutayuu

Smash Apprentice
Probably not, I can't get people to do what I want . Even if they do get it, it always ends badly.

I have taught a few friends basics such as air dodges and how to do smashes/tilts.

shurf

Smash Cadet
I'm not all that good at teaching others. I made certain people break bad habits though, so they did get a little better overall I suppose.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I have never been able to really get someone to be really good (as in on my level) at Smash by simply having me teach him everything. The only person that has matched my level did so by deciding to continue learning on his own and looking up stuff online. To learn the most, I believe that doing some self motivated homework is the only way to go.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
My friend has brawl, but at first he wasn't good at all. Now i teached him the basics and he got a LOT better. Today he fought another SWF'er online for the first time, and the matches were pretty close. So yeah i think im a "good" brawl teacher.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm not because every time I teach someone about Brawl, they get worst. XD

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
No, I'm horrible at explaining things. :urg:
I usually just show them the How To Play video. It covers all the basics.
Better than I would......

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Nobody listens to me when I try to teach something with this game so I have to beat the sense into them.

My friend keeps up-bing as snake on stage and when he comes down, I ALWAYS nail him with a tipped up-smash to his death. I tried explaining why that's not a good idea and he practically threw his controller at me.

Still does the same thing and always dies like that to this day >_>

And with someone else, I say, "That's not a good idea to come near me when i'm next to the edge of a walk off" so he screams, "Yeah, so you can hide there all day?", runs up and I throw him off to his death *facepalm*

I'm more like the teacher in a school of hard knocks.

Bobbery

Smash Apprentice
My friend and I liked to play melee a lot, but never competitive tourney level. I got brawl and began playing that and when my friend tried it, he had an interest with Luigi. Since I mained Luigi, I taught him some of the basics, chains, properties of FJP, etc. He doesn't even have brawl yet but is a pretty good Luigi considering.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I've taught my friends how to play Smash competitively. They've gone far from thinking that throwing and spiking is cheap. LOL

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Kinda?
I'm easily the best in my group of friends so I do spread the knowledge when we get together and they absorb it and it eventually finds it's way into their game.

Mind you they have been playing Smash since the 64 like myself so they are already competent; they just lack the drive I have in the game to go as far as to join Smashboards and seek out play.

They are good enough to practice simpler things with like punishment and getting AT's into my game while under pressure, and I would say that is due to me.
I got them out of the roll spam phase and they understand general matchups and who counters who, what stages they should be going to and etc.

If you can't just get them onto Smashboards where they can do stuff for themselves then I try to know general info about characters they generally main so I can help out when I can to get them to a level where I can play with them.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I've helped quite a few people, but mostly my cousin.
It's too bad he'll never learn, he's a Fox spammer.

Noa.

Smash Master
Since I am the best in my group of friends, I tend to show the guiding hand. One of my friends hadn't played smash since 64, and he forgot entirely how to play. That was in March of last year. By August, I had inspired him enough to get an account on Smashboards, and he's become an avid Peach main. One on the other hand didn't tend to listen to me, and the Peach and I advanced beyond him, so now he doesn't play smash any more. Just a few weeks ago, I teached someone else who had never played smash, and I'm sure he could handle level 9s or so. He hasn't played again since that time, but I'm waiting to teach him some more.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I taught my girlfriend to use Marth but she isn't a huge smasher and doesn't have a Wii so she almost never plays XD

Top Bottom