• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are We Younger Players Doomed?

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Yeah, Falco players fall into that over-aggressive mindset more often than other players (save maybe, Fox), and it screws them over a lot. Be more patient.

With Marth, make them come to you, that's half the battle. Marth is no bueno for approaches, so playing overly aggressive only hurts you.
Here is a test: There are 50 people who are given blocks and a bigger blocks with holes in them, and they must fit them into the right holes. There are two people who pass this test: very smart people, and there's very strong people.

I don't do camping, lol. I sure as hell don't make FALCO come to me.

Binx

Smash Master
Were from the opposite of being doomed >_>

Don't u reallize that we will be the older ones of Brawl. Everybody who played Melee and was in thier high 18-21 will soon leave video games and move on with their lives. Who will still be playing brawl? Us of course. Sometime there is going to be a new era of smashers, and were the top of it. Well, I'm 15 so I guess you would call me semi-young.
Everyone needs to learn the game, some people have better mindsets, not usually related to age, more of a winners attitude.

Here is a test: There are 50 people who are given blocks and a bigger blocks with holes in them, and they must fit them into the right holes. There are two people who pass this test: very smart people, and there's very strong people.

I don't do camping, lol. I sure as hell don't make FALCO come to me.
Rofl

ToonyMan

Smash Cadet
I always beat my brother in Smash and he is 9, but he is really good at the game because he PRACTICES. If played more than me he would propually beat me. Funny thing is is that he can't do wavedashing (yet) but he has great mind games sometimes.

Edit: He stays calm in the heat of battle too, I freak out and mess up, lol.
(I'm 14 by the way)

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
not doomed man, the thing is that is harder for younger players to win, but that doesnt mean that u cannot upgrade ur mindgaming skill, u can practice it mroe than anyone and well, get better on it..

EazyP

Smash Ace
i play purely on impulse and tech skill and yet i get pretty far. so i guess it's good to be young! (i'm 17)
Zhu you play Falco, you're supposed to play purely on impulse and tech skill :p

No one's missing apart of their brain, just a trend is the younger kids are, the less they think, just think when you play

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
idk? im not a younger player (im 19), but i think this ish is false. one of the top players in florida, and the number one player in central flroida, is 14 years old. this kid is ****. and he owns us older players. so i dont think the gap in age is that big of a difference that it will affect gameplay...peace

-hiroshi

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Age johns are wrong, since other people the same age destroy older people all the time.

It just means you're bad compared to them, plain and simple.

PandaManJack

Smash Rookie
I agree that age matters not, when it comes to games such as SSB. Heck even in games which are completely mental younger kids often rise to the top.. ( take Magic The Gathering. )

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
What about that kid that freaking ***** at the...what's it called... Yu-Gi-Oh national tournament? An 11-year old beating 16-40 year olds. Mindgames?

Besides. As stated many a time before. We're young. I've played Smash competitively for about...oh I don't know, two years? M2K has only been playing for about the same time, and he's Pro-level. We have more time to grow! Years dude. Years. And I'm gonna repeat another few examples mentioned already. Check out some Floridian peeps. Colbol? That "youngeon" ***** the living crap out of so many people. Give that kid some more years and holy crap: the definition of serious experience.

We got time. Something the older players aren't so keen in. Even "youngeons" have stepped their way up to the higher ladders early. Just keep playing, practicing and enjoying the wonderful game of Smash...

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
There is an 8-year-old professional Halo player.

Video games have talent and skill.

Talent = natural
Skill = developed

That's all there is to it. Whoever is better will win. (saying that you will beat someone with an "under developed brain" can be taken offensively by mentally challenged people)

----Argument Nullified----

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
in the only way young people can be in disadvetage vs a mature, is him to be afraid oh what this guy is gonna do, but i bet that if this young player rights vs a younger one, he will stop feeling like that. This is not a killer game, is a GAME, thats why younger people havent get so far exept for some exeptions

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I doubt that age really makes thet much difference. Ever seen the 7 year old Marth prodigy? Plus I'm ive olny been learning ATs for about a year and I'm already better than a lot of guys who are older than me (i'm 14)

person701

Smash Journeyman
When I was 13 I dropped melee for a few months
at 14 played again and by the end of the week I could WD, SHFFL, and do some pretty flashy edge cancels with ease

age does make a difference, but it's not some solid barrier
Same situation happened to me. Just because you aren't fully developed brain or anything of the like dosen't mean anything. IMO, the only barrier I see here is the fact that weaker players think that age and maturity make a diffrence in Smash. Just take the time to practice a lot and take some beatings. Trust me, you will learn from your mistakes and losses.

Repryx

Smash Champion
No you Arent...Play People better than you and you will understand mindgames...I know PLaying against Azen Helped me out and I was even able to read him a bit (Still Got 4 stocked his Repetiore is too big)

Brookman

Smash Hero
Well, as most people can agree, mindgaming or intelligence is a very important part of upper level Smash. No matter how technically skilled we younger players might be, the older players still have an advantage on us. They have fully developed brains, and we don't.

I saw a magazine article saying something about raising the driving age higher than 16 because 16 year olds are still missing a part of their brain. This part of the brain also seems very important to mindgaming. They say it's "the part that weighs risks, makes judgments and controls impulsive behavior."

This makes me afraid that I will always lose against older players because of shallower thought process and higher likelihood of acting on impulse.

Discussion?
No Johns, No Johns, and No Pre-Johns.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Look @ like the last three episodes of samurai champloo I learned a lesson....Flailing and randomizing can get the average person....but with a lil analysis you show your limitations and weaknesses...Tech skill is nothing without a brain/exp to back it up...Not a plan but flexibility

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
I think younger players are doomed because they have less access to competition that will make them better. Older people have the advantage because they have more freedom and can drive, therefore they have more competition.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
If you live in Edmonton, it doesnt matter what your age is. You'll get on the power rankings after a month.

SuicidalGrandpa

Smash Rookie
You know, I have to disagree with the OP on this one. Younger players are far from doomed, in fact I'd venture that they'll be a lot better than the current top Smashers simply because they've gone at it for longer. There's something to be said about a player who has grown up playing a game, rather than someone just picking it up one day.

Although both players will be good, I feel that the a person who started when they were young and not only developed as a person but as a player will come out on top.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
this is pretty dumb. using the brain thing as an excuse to suckin at smash lol. some of the codest players are yound. bombsoldier, DaShizWiz, Hanky and more. i've beat grown man at some of my tourneys. its all bout how much u put into the game

Brookman

Smash Hero
You know, I have to disagree with the OP on this one. Younger players are far from doomed, in fact I'd venture that they'll be a lot better than the current top Smashers simply because they've gone at it for longer. There's something to be said about a player who has grown up playing a game, rather than someone just picking it up one day.

Although both players will be good, I feel that the a person who started when they were young and not only developed as a person but as a player will come out on top.
See: Chess.

The thing is though, melee isn't a game for the generations, it's just a game for a few years, then people lose interest cause ****ty brawl comes out and people forget how amazingly perfect melee is.

Top Bottom