• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are WD/SHFFL/etc. overrated?

bizybozo

Smash Journeyman
why even talk to this kid. he's just some idiot who's now wasted the time of numerous knowledgable smashers, and now me.

kid. learn advanced techniques, or go home. dont biitch bout the value of certain moves when you can't even do them.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
why even talk to this kid. he's just some idiot who's now wasted the time of numerous knowledgable smashers, and now me.

kid. learn advanced techniques, or go home. dont biitch bout the value of certain moves when you can't even do them.
You're like 3 pages too late, stud.

Megaa

Smash Cadet
You cant be more wrong on that point. Why would a product of the physics engine not be a real technique? Also, it has been proven that this technique is listed in the Debug menu as the "Wave Land Special" which is what the developers called it.
Actually, this is FALSE. In the debug menu is something labeled "Landfall special". This refers to the fat that when you land from a "special" (a B move that disables you), you will have more lag than if you landed without using it.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
In short the answer is no.The wavedash 1st of all opens up a new world of combo/avoision/mindgame techniques.The SHFFL is the proven best way to rattle off aerials/smashes.How can you say they are over rated when they present you with so many possibilities.For example fox's infinite wouldn't be possible with out SHFFL.His wave shine combos would'nt be possible with out the wavedash.(personally I hate Fox and wish they weren't possible but I needed examples)

marthsword

Smash Ace
I think it's funny when some noob roll dodges 5062 times against a pro and wins... that just goes to show that pro's aren't all that and every move is fair. If I could just tap A and win the game I probably would...granted it would take every ounce of fun out of it but I wouldn't be losing to people who use imaginary moves to win. ^_^
That's never happened before. Ever.

Your whole post is wrong, you couldn't win by tapping a.

Wavedashing is essential with many characters. I wavedash with jigglypuff! It has no lag, an attack/grab can be used right after it, a roll has tons of lag.

Shffl is more imortant than wavedashing. All aerials should be shffl'd almost always. At high level play, you can't get away with not shffling. You dont need to shffl with samus though, although your opponent will get freaked out when you start to!

yes, they are a tiny bit overrated.

Mindgames matter more.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I think it's funny when some noob roll dodges 5062 times against a pro and wins... that just goes to show that pro's aren't all that and every move is fair. If I could just tap A and win the game I probably would...granted it would take every ounce of fun out of it but I wouldn't be losing to people who use imaginary moves to win. ^_^
LOL, what pro was beaten this way? If it were that easy, I'd have beaten pros a long time ago.

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
This doesn't happen. If you've seen it happen, either A: the "pro" isn't actually that good, and though he can perform advanced techniques, cannot utilize them very well (and is idiotic for not roll punishing), or B: the person who was rolling made up for the fact that he couldn't do anything else by being amazing in every other aspect of the game.

Of course, I very VERY much doubt that it was B. If it is B, then the noob would become better after learning to do advanced combos.

People don't wavedash or waveshine just to look flashy, they do so to improve their game. If you could win by just tapping A, it would be a failure of the designers for making the most effective method boring. (This is chain-grabbing was in many ways a screw up on the designers' part, b/c it is neither entertaining nor amazing to be chain-grabbed to death)

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
LOL If they keep rolling they'll get tech chased, and if a pro can't do that, they're not pro.

SHFFL and Lcancel are easily worth the effort.

ROB_[MCC}

Smash Apprentice
Shuffing is very difficult to master... you only have 7 frames to l-cancel, and the timing can get thrown off depending on the move you use and wheather or not it hits your opponent (or his sheild). However, with most characters, it will open up plently of new strategies and will make you flow across the screen - it is a must learn.

Actually, it isn't something you practice a couple of hours and you've learned it. You have to play often and get a feel for it. I still can't get it every time after three months of using it, so it takes time.

There are exceptions... my friend plays Samus and never l-cancels or short hops... then again, Samus' short hop isn't that great and her moves usually end long before she hits the ground.

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
Dodge roll is not useless but if you rely on it to get out of every sticky situation you will get punished most of the time due to the lag at the end of the roll.

When I play this game I really just wanna go for combos, that's what's fun to me and you can't do to many combos without learning the advanced stuff.

If you don't learn the advanced techs you still need to at least play against people that do them or else when you play against someone that uses them you will most likely be overwhelmed by the speed of their game. I've seen people compete that rarely use wd or shffl but they use characters that don't need them as much like maybe peach or Jigglypuff.

WDing and SHFFLing are perhaps overrated though, most people need to learn all the essentials of edgeguarding and recovering and DIing out of trouble before they should even bother WDing. Too many people think wavedashing is like the standard to being pro at the game or something. In the end it all comes down to style.

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
I really don't want to get into this argument at all (been over it too many times), but I'd just like to say that WD has 10 frames of lag for ALL characters.
Thank you very much for stating that WD DOES have lag, and 10 frames of lag is a hell of a lot.... How many frames is a dodge rolls lag? -_-" and plus whenever I dodge roll, I don't let go of R immediately because as soon as I finish the roll, my shield is still up (I don't know about the lag sorry) and unless my opponent grabs me, I usually don't get hit.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Thank you very much for stating that WD DOES have lag, and 10 frames of lag is a hell of a lot.... How many frames is a dodge rolls lag? -_-" and plus whenever I dodge roll, I don't let go of R immediately because as soon as I finish the roll, my shield is still up (I don't know about the lag sorry) and unless my opponent grabs me, I usually don't get hit.

Lol, roll-dodging has like a million gabillion frames of lag XD. Lol, not seriously though. But I assure you it has a lot more frames of lag than Wavedashing.

Anyways, there's time during your roll-dodge where you don't have invincibility frames, and can't do anything, and therefore can be punished with smashes, grabs, etc. You can't shield, or do anything else before the lag time is over.

But yeah, homsar covered just about everything that needed to be said. There's really not much else to cover.

Metà

Smash Master
That's 10 frames for the entire technique. Rolling takes up sometimes up to 60 frames in total. That's a lot of time to be punished. So, when I say 10 frames of lag, it's not really lag. That's how long the wavedash takes + jump time, which is pretty minimal (except for Bowser, lol. 10 frames is not much 'lag'.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
I don't see what use you get off not l-canceling?

Shuffling is the only way to go to, can't just use smash attacks all the time and throw missile attacks..

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
Wavedashing takes about half as long as rolling (depending on the jump and roll speed of the character). Samus can do 3 wavedashes and hit someone with her jab before her roll would be over. Falco could do 2 wavedashes and hit with a shine in the time it takes to do his roll.

But rolling has invincibility, and wavedashing doesn't. They each have their uses.

Husseller

Smash Rookie
Yorktown VA/ Virginia Tech/Shenandoah University
i think both have their place but L-cancelling is def. the most important. I hate it when people use the dodge roll all the time because the strategy is really predictable. Wavedashing does have its place but i generally use mainly for spacing in my games.

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
I only dodge roll when the opponent throws out an fsmash or usmash...I just dodgeroll behind them and hit them before they can do anything... I don't understand why you people assume I would dodgeroll just to move around? I don't mean I just dodgeroll whenever but it is very useful in the situations when your opponent can't do much after they fsmash, etc.
I fail to see how a 'pro' could just chase you and grab/smash you...if your behind him and he is attacking the opposite direction?

marthsword

Smash Ace
I only dodge roll when the opponent throws out an fsmash or usmash...I just dodgeroll behind them and hit them before they can do anything... I don't understand why you people assume I would dodgeroll just to move around? I don't mean I just dodgeroll whenever but it is very useful in the situations when your opponent can't do much after they fsmash, etc.
I fail to see how a 'pro' could just chase you and grab/smash you...if your behind him and he is attacking the opposite direction?
lol. in your vids you dodged roll more than that, but time will fix that habit. I've learned to almost always replace rolling with wding.

A pro could do that, they won't be missing a smash. How many times have you seen a marth miss an f smash? probably never.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
It seems to me that everyone on this forum only cares about wavedashing and shffl. Why do so many people look down on the dodge roll? Simply because it is "noobish" and requires no "true" skill to do it? I think that the dodgeroll is a very effective move and it easily catches a "pro" off guard because they don't expect such a noobish move.

I was wanting to know if anyone can explain to me why I should waste my time learning to wavedash when I can dodge roll 5,000x easier. Excuse me if I'm wrong and call me a noob and wish for my death if you want but... I really don't see why people look down on the dodge roll as if it's not an effective tactic. Plus wavedashing isn't even a real technique.... some loser was just goofing around and found out that you can airdodge into the groud and fly back. I asked people to rate some videos and all they say is "You suck, go die, you don't wavedash!!!" they couldn't look past the fact that wavedashing and shffling isn't the most important part of the game.

Again, sorry if I'm just a noob and I need to quit playing smash brothers all together and just go die under a rock but please explain to me the reason behind this thread before I do all the above. Seeya 'round!:psycho:

Simply put: No.

Wavedashing can be worked around. Aniki does it, but thats one in how many thousands. Don't try to be like him AND good at the same time. You'll fail. Aniki is unique.

Even non-WDers SHFFL.

Rolling is okay, but other way of dodging are preferred. I'd like to see you beat Ken by rolling and attacking.

:colorful:

Flak

Smash Cadet
sounds like you think that one can just press buttons and win... maybe smash isn't for you. attacking out of a roll can be pretty slow, and one character always rolls the same distance every time. wave dashing can vary in distance. Rolling = not a good mind game. You can roll back and forth nearly as fast as you can wavedash back and forth.

I do roll sometimes, but only when i feel i need to move out of the way immediately while staying invincible. Like rolling away from something. Wavedashing doesn't have invincibility frames, so its not as good for retreating when your already really close.

And pros are all that... thats why they are pros (most of the time >_>).

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
for the last time,
The wavedash and the shuffle are NOT overrated.

It's not the fact that pros use the moves that makes them significant, but it's how they use them.

Just because Ken doesn't use the wavedash doesn't mean that it's not worth using. There are plenty of great pros that use the wavedash to their advatange.

It may or may not be a glitch but that doesn't make it cheap.

If you say that the wavedash is cheap, then you can't master it yourself and you feel you should bash it.

The shuffle is vital to quick and agile movements in ssbm, and should take a week or 2 at the most to master before it becomes second nature with all characters.

The wavedash is a great way to play mind games with your opponent with quick retreats and attacks.

-Seriously, I'm tired of these threads.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
for the last time,
The wavedash and the shuffle are NOT overrated.
For the last time? So that means you'll just stop arguing if I dispute your argument? Well, what an agreeable debator!

This is my impression of this thread: the topic creator is mistaken to believe that one can win by replacing advanced techniques with basic ones. You simply cannot replace the quickness that comes from a shffl'd aerial. Wave-dashing, too, is important to many characters. Samus without her wave-dash is severely handicapped, because her dash and her roll aren't as fast.

But there is a glimpse of truth in his argument. Many Smashers have become so obsessed with the advanced techniques that to them, playing Smash is an exercise in difficulty, not winning. A player does not need to throw short hop double lasers and turnaround waveshines to win. You don't even need to learn these techniques. Fox has the capacity to win with much simpler techniques, as long as the player focuses on what works and what is superfluous. You don't need to thrash around with flashy dash shffl's - spacing bairs and poking for a grab works, too.

And that's something the community, in general, still needs to learn. Advanced techniques are wonderful, but you have a much bigger toolbox. Don't bring out the electric jackhammer where a normal hammer would work more easily.

Miharu

Smash Hero
It seems to me that everyone on this forum only cares about wavedashing and shffl. Why do so many people look down on the dodge roll? Simply because it is "noobish" and requires no "true" skill to do it? I think that the dodgeroll is a very effective move and it easily catches a "pro" off guard because they don't expect such a noobish move.
Uhh. What?

People don't look down on the roll for being a "noobish" tactic because it takes no skill to perform. Most people choose to look down on constant roll-spamming, because it's so easily punished. Rolling and wavedashing both have their separate uses. And I had to chuckle when I read that you thought that rolling would catch a "pro" off guard. Don't even talk about pros; just the people I smash with will catch on in 30 seconds to roll-spamming, since it's predictable and easy to punish.

I was wanting to know if anyone can explain to me why I should waste my time learning to wavedash when I can dodge roll 5,000x easier. Excuse me if I'm wrong and call me a noob and wish for my death if you want but... I really don't see why people look down on the dodge roll as if it's not an effective tactic. Plus wavedashing isn't even a real technique.... some loser was just goofing around and found out that you can airdodge into the groud and fly back. I asked people to rate some videos and all they say is "You suck, go die, you don't wavedash!!!" they couldn't look past the fact that wavedashing and shffling isn't the most important part of the game.
Rolling has its uses, alright. But in many situations, rolling just doesn't cut it due to its set distance and comparatively long lagtime. However, a wavedash is much more versatile. You can use it to edgehog, you can use it as an alternate method of movement, and best of all, you can control its length to suit your needs. Don't bash wavedashing because you're too lazy to learn it and it was discovered by some random player; that has absolutely nothing to do with the current argument.

Ok, this is pissing me off a bit. I just posted in your thread earlier, and I took care to give you some advice that wasn't just bashing. And now you say that everyone just posted that "You suck, go die, you don't wavedash"? Don't give me that bull**** if you're not going to take the time to read over the ****ing posts in your topic. Haven't you thought that if you weren't so god **** arrogant and defiant about not WDing and SHFFLing that people would take more kindly to you? And as I said earlier in your topic, shinespiking is so **** overrated; it doesn't take any techinical skill to pull off. I play with Frozenserpent. The man has god-awful techskill, aside from his ability to ledgetech everything. He can't even shffl and l-cancel properly. But guess what; he decided to play Fox for a bit, and within 1 minute, he got his first shinespike. Easy, no?

That never has and never ****ing happen in the history of this ****ing game. It's this kind of blind arrogance that really pisses me off.

Actually, I'd have to say that L-cancelling is the most important advanced tech. Wavedashing is extremely useful to have, but it's not absolutely necessary. But incorporating SHFFLing into your game literally makes it twice as fast.

Again, sorry if I'm just a noob and I need to quit playing smash brothers all together and just go die under a rock but please explain to me the reason behind this thread before I do all the above. Seeya 'round!:psycho:
Nobody wants you to quit SSBM. It'd be better if you could see both sides of the argument, and then decide for yourself what you want to do.

Of course, the flipside is, just because it's difficult doesn't mean that it is more effective. Players who say they are "strong technically but have weak mindgames," are usually just overusing advanced, difficult techniques and forgetting the easy ones. This results in flashy play, but it doesn't win. Sometimes it's better to run away, to roll backwards, to walk up and hit forward on the C-stick. Look at Masashi: his Fox isn't half as flashy as Mofo's or Zelgadis'. There are no fireworks of shine, or volleys of shffl's. He simply takes the best "technical" elements (like l-canceling into shine) and the best "simple" elements and combines them into a winning formula.
Actually, I have to disagree with part of this. You give the example that some players are "strong technically but have weak mindgames." That's okay, but then you use Mofo and Zelgadis for your example. Are you really saying that Mofo and Zelgadis have "weak" mindgames? In comparison to who? I can vouch for this, since I've played Zelgadis myself. Granted, you might say that his mindgames (I hate to use such a word for the mental aspect of the game) aren't the best, but they're pretty **** good. You can't label Masashi's playstyle as being good because it's simple, since that's what I'm getting from the gist of your argument. Take Bombsoldier, for example., who has insane amounts of technical skill. It seems that he overwhelms his opponent with just pure technical skill, but he needs a certain degree of mindgames, if you will, to predict the movements of his opponent so he can apply the appropriate tactic.

Wow. Lag from roll > Lag from WD. You can also raise your shield immediately after a wavedash. And trust me, if you overuse rolling against any competent player, you will get grabbed.

Sure, that might work once. But you're assuming that the "pro" will swing at your randomly. Most players will combo into their finishers, which would be the smash in this case, and you'd be screwed because you can roll while you're being combo'd. You are correct that you can use it to avoid a smash, but in most cases it's better to just WD backwards then punish with a SHFFL'd aerial or a grab.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
MaskedMarth is right, I'm pretty good with Fox but I don't know any advanced techs but I don't face many players with mind games are anything, I'm supposed to be going over by a friend for 'smash nite' so whenever that happens I'll gauge how good I am without advanced techs compared to those that use them well.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Actually, I have to disagree with part of this. You give the example that some players are "strong technically but have weak mindgames." That's okay, but then you use Mofo and Zelgadis for your example. Are you really saying that Mofo and Zelgadis have "weak" mindgames? In comparison to who? I can vouch for this, since I've played Zelgadis myself. Granted, you might say that his mindgames (I hate to use such a word for the mental aspect of the game) aren't the best, but they're pretty **** good. You can't label Masashi's playstyle as being good because it's simple, since that's what I'm getting from the gist of your argument. Take Bombsoldier, for example., who has insane amounts of technical skill. It seems that he overwhelms his opponent with just pure technical skill, but he needs a certain degree of mindgames, if you will, to predict the movements of his opponent so he can apply the appropriate tactic.
Well, I use the quotes around "strong technically but have weak mindgames" because I'm not using the phrase myself, but because that's a phrase that somebody else might use, to talk about flashy people that don't win. I don't think the phrase is correct, used that way. I think the correct thing to say, is that Zelgadis/Mofo play with an intricate, technical style, and Masashi plays with a simpler style, that works better nonetheless. Sometimes, technical isn't better. Sometimes, you need to fall back upon simple grabs and rolls and dtilts, and in some situations they are unequivically better than shffl's and all that.

Note that this has nothing to do with mindgames - mindgames have nothing to do with whether I like my hors d'ouevres shffl'd or grabbed. "Mindgames" is an abused and overused term. They have very little to do with the realm of technical skill.

greenblob

Smash Lord
On the wavedash vs. roll thing:
As many have stated before, the wavedash does not replace the roll. However, in a situation in which many (new) players roll (example, as an apporach or to avoid an attack in a direction such that the attack would not hit you, whether invincible or not), a wavedash would work much better. If there were no wavedash or if you're playing a character that doesn't wavedash very well, a roll still wouldn't be the best option for those situations. In such a case, a dash would work much better than a roll. The wavedash then replaces the dash in certain situations--it does not replace the roll.

marthsword

Smash Ace
So link 101...you think n00bs can beat pros by rolling 5062 times and attacking with jabs? Did you know to roll 5062 times would take approximatley 1 hour, 40 minutes! 1:40, think about that.

pdk

Smash Lord
On the wavedash vs. roll thing:
As many have stated before, the wavedash does not replace the roll. However, in a situation in which many (new) players roll (example, as an apporach or to avoid an attack in a direction such that the attack would not hit you, whether invincible or not), a wavedash would work much better. If there were no wavedash or if you're playing a character that doesn't wavedash very well, a roll still wouldn't be the best option for those situations. In such a case, a dash would work much better than a roll. The wavedash then replaces the dash in certain situations--it does not replace the roll.
it doesn't replace the roll for everything, but it certainly does for escaping a short-ranged attack like a jab or grab, or a mid-ranged attack that takes long to cover its whole possible distance (think raptor boost)

greenblob

Smash Lord
You shouldn't use the roll in those situations. You should dash away instead, provided that the wavedash isn't an option. The roll should only be used when you need invincibility frames while moving.
But I guess the wavedash replaces rolls in one situation--when you need horizontal movement right after shielding.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
I'm relavtively new to the smash scene, but I think that both techniques are as good as advertised ( the shffl more so than the wave dash). Players who learn to shffl have drastically improved their abilities as smash players and will most likely see immediate results. The progress would be obvious if you watched pre/post shuffl gameplay. I think that applying the wavedash is a little trickier b/c you could easily execute it, but still misuse it. It's not just wavedashing, but wavedashing properly that decreases the predictability of your gameplay. One could argue that the wavedash is a more advanced technique than the shffl b/c its applications are not as apparent, (and thus requires a better player to be used properly) but that's a different argument.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Wow, nobody read my post. Do sad, so hurtful. I will get revenge!

No seriously, it took a lot of time to do the math of the rolling, and Then I had to round, and then I forgot what I was doing so I had to start over!

marthsword

Smash Ace
WD and shffl are useful,but not necessary. roll doge is good but it depends how you want 2 space yourself.
You make it sound like wavedashing and shffling are only situational, and not that useful. You also make it sound like the dodge roll is very useful. This is not the case. Shffl is necessary, it speed up your game times 2!

Wavedashing isn't unless you play luigi, or IC's.

Roll dodge is situational, a good player can grab you, or chase you, and it's so predictable and laggy.

Roll dodge - 60 frames of lag

WD - 10 frames of lag for the whole thing!

Btw, please don't talk you are on aim.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I suggest anyone "relatively new to the smash scene" or "new but pretty good without tech" not make broad statements about wd/shffl being "overrated." You should probably try it first.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
the issue isn't about rolling being "newbish" (which you'll hear only real elitists say) but rather about it having problems from a strategic viewpoint; most characters' rolls are easily predicted and chased, so if you spam it you'll find yourself getting grabbed out of it a lot, whereas with (most characters') wavedashing you can just WD back and do whatever you want from there, and much faster

WDing really only has much value for a few select characters, but there's no argument that SHFFLing is a great tactic for pretty much everyone except samus
Look at my name. It's right there, Elitist. And I don't think rolling is noobish. The only things that's noobish is spamming it over and over again or just rolling at the wrong times.

So, rolling isn't noobish. Then what is it? It's the only way to get around perfect pillars. And still a quick way to get around someone, especially if your Jumping and WD are both slow, like Peach.

Rolling is far from worthless. Not game-breaking, but definitely useful.

Top Bottom