• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are WD/SHFFL/etc. overrated?

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
It seems to me that everyone on this forum only cares about wavedashing and shffl. Why do so many people look down on the dodge roll? Simply because it is "noobish" and requires no "true" skill to do it? I think that the dodgeroll is a very effective move and it easily catches a "pro" off guard because they don't expect such a noobish move.

I was wanting to know if anyone can explain to me why I should waste my time learning to wavedash when I can dodge roll 5,000x easier. Excuse me if I'm wrong and call me a noob and wish for my death if you want but... I really don't see why people look down on the dodge roll as if it's not an effective tactic. Plus wavedashing isn't even a real technique.... some loser was just goofing around and found out that you can airdodge into the groud and fly back. I asked people to rate some videos and all they say is "You suck, go die, you don't wavedash!!!" they couldn't look past the fact that wavedashing and shffling isn't the most important part of the game.

Again, sorry if I'm just a noob and I need to quit playing smash brothers all together and just go die under a rock but please explain to me the reason behind this thread before I do all the above. Seeya 'round!:psycho:

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Yes, they are overrated but still are very useful.

Plus many dodgerolls are slow enough to be easily punishable. Some aren't even funny too ; I mean, look at Samus's roll. It's so slow compared to her wavedash.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
SHFFL'ing is vital, wavedashing isn't quite as important unless you're playing as samus or luigi.

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
I have seen Samus super wavedash, it was ridiculous and it's crazy how someone discovers a move like that. It's unnatural but very useful I have to admit

cF=)

Smash Lord
Wavedashing overrated ? Rolldodging looked down upon ?

If you've been reading on these board for what, 2 weeks, you've surely experienced the "oh geez, I can play without all this fancy stuff".

Pros and casual players rolls from time to time, because it's a valuable technique, but they also wavedash, SHFFL, edgehog and many more. Every technique is unique and should be mastered because it increase your character's possibility of movements in battle and your mindgames. You wouldn't be able waveshine without the wavedash but you couldn't either always dodge with the wavedash while playing a character like Zelda.

Also, don't listen to people who overlook wavedashing has being whate separates good players from bad ones. I'd rather teach L-cancelling to anybody then wavedash, because it's a million times better.

pdk

Smash Lord
the issue isn't about rolling being "newbish" (which you'll hear only real elitists say) but rather about it having problems from a strategic viewpoint; most characters' rolls are easily predicted and chased, so if you spam it you'll find yourself getting grabbed out of it a lot, whereas with (most characters') wavedashing you can just WD back and do whatever you want from there, and much faster

WDing really only has much value for a few select characters, but there's no argument that SHFFLing is a great tactic for pretty much everyone except samus

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
well my fine sir. i dont think ur a noob and that is a legitimate question (u should take tht to heart normally i hate any one who roll dodges). Roll dodging doesnt mean you are a noob its how you use it. Most noobs roll dodge every 5 seconds just to avoid attacks and get in their 5 damage dash attacks. All pros roll dodge ever once in a while. if u spam it, it eventually becomes predictable and u will be punished for it. thats y most people say its noobish. its also very annoying spcially wen ur an advanced player and some noob roll dodges 5062 times in one match and wins by 1 stock, and then talks S h i t. thts wat people get upset over.

Shffling on the other hand is very important because it gives you the ablity to create combos, move alot faster, and just overall improves ur gameplay. if u are trying to play this game competitivly i would worry less about WD'ing and more about shuffling it is by far the most important advanced skill.

BTW if u live in the Bergen county region of new jersey ill take u under my wing and train u
;)

WAAASSSUUUPP

Smash Apprentice
Shffl-decrease lag on arials........tell me would you rather Bowser spend 2 seconds in lag time on arials, or less than 1 second?

Wavedash-Any move out of it...........Samus roll vs her WD

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
I think it's funny when some noob roll dodges 5062 times against a pro and wins... that just goes to show that pro's aren't all that and every move is fair. If I could just tap A and win the game I probably would...granted it would take every ounce of fun out of it but I wouldn't be losing to people who use imaginary moves to win. ^_^

Megaa

Smash Cadet
You don't understand, obviously. Rolling is very easyto be hit out of due to lag afterward and predictability from ding it repeatedly. Even if you don't WD, SHFFLing is still important. Just look at Aniki's Link.

homsar

Smash Ace
Lets break this down:

It seems to me that everyone on this forum only cares about wavedashing and shffl. Why do so many people look down on the dodge roll? Simply because it is "noobish" and requires no "true" skill to do it?
Lets take this first. It appears that most people only care about wavedashing and shffling because most people that actually post in disscussions like this are actually not all that knowledgable. They are rather new to the scene and just hear that these techs make you instantly good so they care only about them. Yes, these techniques are quite useful but they do not make a player great. Generally, mindgames make a player great. Look at anki (sp?), he plays samus and never wavedashs yet is still a top player because of his mindgames. So techniques do make you better but mindgames are most likely the best bet to becoming good. And just like everything in life, both take skill.

About the dodge roll being "noobish". This comes from the fact that only using dodge roll is noobish. But on the counter point, only doing, say, Wavedash to forward smash would also be noobish. Constantly repeating a tactic over and over, no matter how good, will lead to the opponet figuring out how to counter said tactic and punish you for it.

I think that the dodgeroll is a very effective move and it easily catches a "pro" off guard because they don't expect such a noobish move.
Yes, it can catch a person of guard, but that fails after the first few times if that is all you do. You need to mix things up, change the way you play on the fly and react different all the time. That is what mindgames are all about. Now lets not get cocky and say its a "very effective move" as just like many other moves, it can be countered and predicted. Also, it may be completly un-effective for people who have bad rolls (aka. samus). So, the effectiveness of a roll really depends on a persons use of the roll into his mind games and the characters actuall roll speed, lag, etc.

I was wanting to know if anyone can explain to me why I should waste my time learning to wavedash when I can dodge roll 5,000x easier. Excuse me if I'm wrong and call me a noob and wish for my death if you want but... I really don't see why people look down on the dodge roll as if it's not an effective tactic.
Learning wavedashing will help with your mindgames. It opens new doors of possible counter attacks, ways to move about the field and overall flow of your gameplay. Take this example:

First without wavedashes learnt:

Samus goes to do her dash attack at you. You roll behind her. After clueing in that this is what you do she runs at you but instead of dash attacking she turns around and fsmash right were you roll because you thought she was going to dash attack.

With wavedashing:

Same senario except now you dont always roll, sometimes you wavedash behind here, and since you have no lag you attack instanly. Maybe you will wavedash away from the attack, wait till you can hit her and then do so. By not doing the same thing she will have a harder time predicting you and thus have a harder time beating you.

----

On a side note: People that call you a noob are most likely noobs themselves, or are just jerks who want to make themselves feel better. Pay no attention to those idiots.

Plus wavedashing isn't even a real technique.... some loser was just goofing around and found out that you can airdodge into the groud and fly back.
You cant be more wrong on that point. Why would a product of the physics engine not be a real technique? Also, it has been proven that this technique is listed in the Debug menu as the "Wave Land Special" which is what the developers called it.

Also, you really shouldnt call someone a loser, that doesnt help you at all. You are just becoming one of those idiots that made fun of you in the first place.

I asked people to rate some videos and all they say is "You suck, go die, you don't wavedash!!!" they couldn't look past the fact that wavedashing and shffling isn't the most important part of the game.
As I said, they are idiots, give them not a second thought. And yes, they are not the most important part of the game. That would be the combination of advanced techs and mindgames along with your own fighting style to create your own personnal metagame.

Again, sorry if I'm just a noob and I need to quit playing smash brothers all together and just go die under a rock but please explain to me the reason behind this thread before I do all the above. Seeya 'round!:psycho:
Dont be sorry, you have nothing to be sorry for. You have an honest and fair question and I have tried to enlighten you on the matter a bit. I hope this has helped at least a bit in understanding things. And on one final note, these are simply my opinions and are in no way opinions of the more knowlegdable members of smashboards. Humans do make mistakes but what I have presented is my understanding of things. We are all always learning new things you know.

poopsmellslikecrap

Smash Cadet
they are mildly overrated, but for advanced play shffl'ing is essential, wavedash is really helpful (but not necessary, watch a video of aniki) and roll has lots of lag afterwards, as a jiggs, i quickly pick up on roll length and rest you right after you come out of a roll( works well on my noob friends) although rolling can be good just to throw someone off, but use roll sparingly

Because it's easy doesn't mean that it is more effective.SHFFLC and WaveDashing are very useful techniques that can give you an edge in battle.But,if you don't want to learn them...go ahead,you can fail all you want,we wouldn't care.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
link-101:

people that wd/shffl/etc doesnt mean they are pro.
heres a paralell example. a pure chinese person studies english for three years. that chinese guy can speak, he has absolutely no problem writing, Yet if you ask him to write an essay, he will fail it miserably. Neither will he have the social manners and skills to get himself hired as a salesman.

homsar did a great job explaining. but odds are, its pretty hard for anyone new to comprehend to it unless you play somone 'good.'

so in reality, wavedash, shuffles, etc, are not overated. you just havnt seen the real thing =p
dodge roll, as said, is no a noob skill.

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Homsar for your post. It helped me understand like you were trying to do. I will try to integrate the wavedash and all that into my game. How exactly do you shffl? I mean I know you sh then fast fall and L-cancel but man that is a whole lot to do in just a split second...a short hop doesn't jump that high and my brain gets confused in trying to fit fast fall and timing when to press L in just a short matter of time..

blindhobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PSN: Ligray
^^^I felt like that too...you jump perform your attack while fastfalling, then l-cancel...that wasn't helpful at all...

Not very good at explaining things. I'll wait for somebody else.

BTW, I feel that Wavedashing is overrated more than shffl. People think, "If I can master wavedash, I'll instantly win every game because it's such a good technique."

I hate that...

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
I understood your explanation of shffl, thank you very much. I just have to practice it more often ( I haven't practiced it at all!) and just get my mind used to doing it...I'm still a noob that dodge rolls every attack..as you can tell if you watch my video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekPiKPMGc7c

Thanks again for the help hobo.

Eci4

Smash Ace
it easily catches a "pro" off guard because they don't expect such a noobish move.
I'm not too good... that being said, at the 2nd tournament I went to, I sat down with one of the best players in Minnesota, and played some friendlies for a while... he dominated me... He knew from the beginning to roll punish me.... He knew I would be rolling a bunch, and if he hadn't, it would be obvious from the first stock... Rolling really doesn't gain you anything either... assume for a second he was caught off guard... well, I would still be rolling even if he completly whiffed on a hit... the lag would take too long for me to do anything...

Lets say I wavedashed backwards and he whiffed, now he is in lag... I'm perfectly capable of say, SHFFLing an aerial right here, and getting in some damage... it wouldn't work with rolling...

I used to be like that too though... thinking along the lines of I'm good enough where I don't need wavedashing, and that it would be a mindgame to not use wavedashing... I saw the strength in SHFFLing right away though... sure it's hard to learn, but it speeds things up so much...

so yeah, basically anything that speeds up your game is worth doing. I don't see it as overrated becuase so many people underrate it... Every week or two there are a few new members who argue that they are great and don't need all this stuff, but soon enough they learn (usually by going to a tournament), or else they lose interest

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
IMO, Short hopping and L cancelling are SO much more important.

SH ing works as a WD to ledge hog, so yeah.
WD is mainly for spacing and mindgames. Rolling can be mindgames, but it is usually slower, and Melee is a faster paced game.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Because it's easy doesn't mean that it is more effective.
Of course, the flipside is, just because it's difficult doesn't mean that it is more effective. Players who say they are "strong technically but have weak mindgames," are usually just overusing advanced, difficult techniques and forgetting the easy ones. This results in flashy play, but it doesn't win. Sometimes it's better to run away, to roll backwards, to walk up and hit forward on the C-stick. Look at Masashi: his Fox isn't half as flashy as Mofo's or Zelgadis'. There are no fireworks of shine, or volleys of shffl's. He simply takes the best "technical" elements (like l-canceling into shine) and the best "simple" elements and combines them into a winning formula.

homsar

Smash Ace
Thank you Airo and Link-101 for your comments. Thats probibly the longest post Ive made on smashboards. I always want to write an article on smash and now I think I have my topic: Advanced Techs - Whats the point? An Indepth look at the pros and cons of Advanced Techs.

Thanks for the motivation!

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
Yes Homsar please post that article, I would love to read it! Shffl is too hard, I just tried to practice it, forget that! Lol I will just play my own style and show the world that they are wrong muahah. (fyi: I will never win!)

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
]Haha! Remember, shffl' is not just one technique. Learn all the component techniques first. You need to be able to short hop consistently, l-cancel consistently, and fastfall consistently. The fast-falling is easy, but the other two require practice. Shffl'ing is just putting all of them together.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
for some characters, you can shuffl easy by: SH > attack > at the peak of your jump, fast fall AND L-cancel at the same time.

for full jumped airiels, just practice. do it enough, and it'll become second nature. like the unit circle

booshk

Smash Lord
I think it's funny when some noob roll dodges 5062 times against a pro and wins... that just goes to show that pro's aren't all that and every move is fair. If I could just tap A and win the game I probably would...granted it would take every ounce of fun out of it but I wouldn't be losing to people who use imaginary moves to win. ^_^
I guarantee you NO pro has lost against a noob that only roll dodges.

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Yes Homsar please post that article, I would love to read it! Shffl is too hard, I just tried to practice it, forget that! Lol I will just play my own style and show the world that they are wrong muahah. (fyi: I will never win!)
Please don't give up Shffling. Shunning it will only hurt you. Think about it this way, the more techniques you can perform, the more flexibility you have when dealing with a situation.

Also, in response to why you should spend your time w/ wavedashing when rolling is 5028x easier... rolling is almost obselete when wavdashing comes into play.

ROLLING
-if used as a maneuver, wavedashing is faster
-if used for invincibility frames, sidestepping is faster

In many situations, wavedashing and sidestepping will let you counter attack MUCH quicker.

Is rolling COMPLETELY obselete? no. Perhaps you want the combination of invincibility and movement/turning around. OR perhaps you are sprinting across a stage and need to turn around quickly for that crucial edgehog.

--------------------------------------------------

BTW, learning to SHFFL doesn't mean you're copying someone else's style. It just means you have something new to integrate into your own unique style.

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
i find it odd that every poster who makes posts wondering if l-cancel or wd is necessary cannot do either. i also find it odd how when people do adv stuff like waveshine they are considered flashy.

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
i find it odd that every poster who makes posts wondering if l-cancel or wd is necessary cannot do either. i also find it odd how when people do adv stuff like waveshine they are considered flashy.
well of course... if they knew how to do the techniques why would they wonder if they are necessary? I just don't want to waste time learning unless I will never win a single match, or even stand the slightest chance for that matter.:dizzy:

gtfo

Smash Apprentice
If you are even remotely serious about being competitive in this game, WD and SHFFLing is essential.
The WD for example opens up new possiblities for certain characters, luigi relies entirely on his WD to make his game work.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
@Link - I see you're a fellow Tennessean. If you live anywhere near Memphis (or happen to visit sometime), you should come to one of the INNsomnia V Biweeklies (link to the thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=80441). Besides the wonders of $5 buffet pizza and free refills, you'll be able to find several people who can show you exactly how much of a difference the various advanced techniques can make.

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
well of course... if they knew how to do the techniques why would they wonder if they are necessary? I just don't want to waste time learning unless I will never win a single match, or even stand the slightest chance for that matter.:dizzy:
learning how to dribble the ball in basketball doesn't mean you can instantly compete with mj. why would you expect the opposite with smash? being good at smash is a time consuming thing and there are no shortcuts. wd and l-cancel are relatively simple. but what I don't understand is why would you not want to get better? a waste of your time? do you even play other people?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I sort of agree, I remember I thought I was pretty good (not the best but tournament material) until I saw a site with all of these different techs. I ignored them and went along my merry way, still beating just about everyone who fought me.

Then I saw some videos with SHFFLing and WDing etc,etc. I pretty much threw my pride out the window, now I can't learn any techs because my GC isn't working.

I guess if you don't enter tounaments you can never find out just how good or bad you are. I might still be a good player but those techs would easily turn me into a pro (I have good mindgames and I don't even know any major techs).

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
It seems to me that everyone on this forum only cares about wavedashing and shffl. Why do so many people look down on the dodge roll? Simply because it is "noobish" and requires no "true" skill to do it? I think that the dodgeroll is a very effective move and it easily catches a "pro" off guard because they don't expect such a noobish move.

I was wanting to know if anyone can explain to me why I should waste my time learning to wavedash when I can dodge roll 5,000x easier. Excuse me if I'm wrong and call me a noob and wish for my death if you want but... I really don't see why people look down on the dodge roll as if it's not an effective tactic. Plus wavedashing isn't even a real technique.... some loser was just goofing around and found out that you can airdodge into the groud and fly back. I asked people to rate some videos and all they say is "You suck, go die, you don't wavedash!!!" they couldn't look past the fact that wavedashing and shffling isn't the most important part of the game.

Thats....WRONG! THAT IS WRONG! lol, joking, but seriouslly:

If you cant SSFFL you cant win...or atleast against anyone worth playing...
If it becomes aware that you cant wavedash and all you can do is roll...(and it will become noticable quite quick) you will get punished.../ thhis becomes a game of wait till he rolls...

learning how to dribble the ball in basketball doesn't mean you can instantly compete with mj. why would you expect the opposite with smash? being good at smash is a time consuming thing and there are no shortcuts. wd and l-cancel are relatively simple. but what I don't understand is why would you not want to get better? a waste of your time? do you even play other people?
True...but look at Aniki ^_^'

Top Bottom