• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are players who use low tiers better & smarter than players who use mid tier +?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
No, ol' bean, we only drink the finest of brandy at our dinnerparties. And as we all are aware of, brandy doesn't have to be made of grapes. Cheers!
BULL****!
ITS WHY YOU HAVE PURPLE NAMES!

*slams hand on the desk*
IF THE SBR DIDNT LIKE GRAPES THEY WOULDNT HAVE PURPLE NAMES! THUS MY CLAIM IS VALID SO YOU...

*dramatic silence*

ARE A LIAR!

*insert PW cornered theme*

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3497052

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Skill level is arbitrary.

The important thing is who is winning the bigger tournaments. A Ganon main who wins a local 15-man tournament is insignificant compared to Mew2King winning a 100-man national tournament.

Everyone has the same options when they're at the character select screen. People can do whatever they want.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
For the record, I've never entered a large low tier tournament.

I was excited about doing so at Clash of the Titans 4, but it never happened. :(

P.S.: Pokémon Trainer is mid tier.

SManDMan

Smash Rookie
If a low tier mainer can beat a Meta Knight who knows what they're doing, the low tier mainer is better, no way around it. If that same Meta Knight tied with a Ganondorf mainer, that would put the Ganondorf player above him. Why? Meta Knight lacks the short comings that Ganondorf has. Ganondorf is at a huge disadvantage. If the Meta Knight wins with even one life left, the Ganondorf mainer is just a good. The players affect it, but don't decide the match and the players skill. It's also pathetic to say that having Jiggs or Captain Falcon as a main makes you a bad player.

See, lower tier characters are tougher to win with, and every win is a victory. Higher tier characters are easy, and as a result it might be less YOU and more the CHARACTER. There is a big difference. To win with a low tier character takes skill. That's what this topic is about. Not "Are low tier characters better then higher tier ones?".

Oh, thought of a good way to look at it. If I were to cut off both your arms making have to play with your feet, blindfold you, force you to play as Ganondorf, and put you against a MK main. Are you at a disadvantage? Yes. Would it take skill to win? Yes. Would winning mean your better at Brawl the other player? Of course. Would losing mean you're a bad player? Well, you can't see what you're doing, you're playing with your feet and you have a low tier character. Not much of a loss to lose a rigged match.

True, nobody is FORCED to play as low tier characters, but nobody is FORCED to play as low tier characters. How many MK players could switch to Falcon and still do well due to their overall knowledge of the game, timing and overall skill? Not a lot. Most just use MK and act like it's a free win card.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
definately. there was one link player whos creativity was endless (forgot his name. hes famous). He has 1000 ideas for every situation. Every match watching him is amusing.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
If a low tier mainer can beat a Meta Knight who knows what they're doing, the low tier mainer is better, no way around it. If that same Meta Knight tied with a Ganondorf mainer, that would put the Ganondorf player above him. Why? Meta Knight lacks the short comings that Ganondorf has. Ganondorf is at a huge disadvantage. If the Meta Knight wins with even one life left, the Ganondorf mainer is just a good. The players affect it, but don't decide the match and the players skill. It's also pathetic to say that having Jiggs or Captain Falcon as a main makes you a bad player.

Oh, thought of a good way to look at it. If I were to cut off both your arms making have to play with your feet, blindfold you, force you to play as Ganondorf, and put you against a MK main. Are you at a disadvantage? Yes. Would it take skill to win? Yes. Would winning mean your better at Brawl the other player? Of course. Would losing mean you're a bad player? Well, you can't see what you're doing, you're playing with your feet and you have a low tier character. Not much of a loss to lose a rigged match.

True, nobody is FORCED to play as low tier characters, but nobody is FORCED to play as low tier characters. How many MK players could switch to Falcon and still do well due to their overall knowledge of the game, timing and overall skill? Not a lot. Most just use MK and act like it's a free win card.
See, lower tier characters are tougher to win with, and every win is a victory. Higher tier characters are easy, and as a result it might be less YOU and more the CHARACTER. There is a big difference. To win with a low tier character takes skill. That's what this topic is about. Not "Are low tier characters better then higher tier ones?".

But some high teirs take skill. Like a person who is new to brawl would probably be better with sonic/ike than they would be with diddy/MK. Tbh, i thought MK sucked, and also diddy when i first got brawl, and before i went on SWF. It takes more pratice to be good with a high teir character (IMO), but more skill and creativity to be good with a low teir character. If you know no teches, you might as well do 10x better with a low teir than a high teir character. Low teir characters are more of YOU, true, while high teir characters are more of THEM.
  • High teir- You practice how to play the character. You just practice using the capabilities of the character. You're just using the character to its full potential. All you do is practice. nothing more. Your goal is to master the CHARACTER. Practice makes you good with high teir (imo)
  • Low teir- you practice how to deal with every scenario in the best way possible. You practice how to use moves to their full potential, and find ways to trick/mindgame your opponents. You dont practice on how to play the character, since the characters potential alone is minimal. What you practice is the combination of you and the character.

For high teir, you could just rate them out of 10 for how much they have mastered the character

For low teir, you cant rate them out of ten. Some low teir that beats another low teir could be worse than the person he beats. You cant truly 'master' low teir characters. Just see how they work, and use strategies and mindgames that throw your opponents off.

Low teirs requier soul. High teirs recuier alot of time and practice. That is all

Summary- High teirs you master the character, low teirs you master creativity and how to deal with every situation accordingly. HAs to do with mindgames

Personally, i really dont get why pit isnt high teir. He has capabilities of metanight, but hes not quite there yet. he should be A teir imo.

btw sorry if i doubleposted

Ragenzen_Zaruko

Smash Rookie
If you think about it, people who main low tiers have a tendency to do unexpected things because, as you know, Meta Knight and Snake are always seen and people don't see them do anything abnormal. This, however, has no influence on skill, yet knowledge differs between both because a high tier player might know all these cool fancy moves and combos, but someone of lower tier might either struggle to match, or do something not very many people have seen happen, because they're hardly seen, which may give them the upper-hand in brawls.

Edit: I agree with what Paladin said.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

I don't see why people say MK is easy to pick up. I personally think he's hard to learn.

Gabz

Smash Apprentice
Well, i wouldn't say exactly better and smarter, id say it requires a litte bit more of skill and thinking to overcome every situation they're in. Of course, there is also the gameplay of the player, when in some cases someone used to Marth (to not mention again and again MK) could appear out of nowhere pick Cptn Falcon and maybe win or get pretty far in a tournament . One just needs to see the background (can't find the exact word) of the battle and act according to. In this case for exm, low tier characters are more frequently involved with than high tiers with a more balanced gameplay, they just need to be worked more to use them as their full potential, a little more skill you could say. Although high tier require skills as well, just less than low ones to have a higher position for example in tournaments.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I think the only difference at all between using a low or high tier, is that when using a low tier the users are more often forced to learn and accept the limitations of their character.

Of course, every character has limitations that should be learned in order for a player to excel, but when using a character of higher capability many people have a poor habit of ignoring this crucial aspect of advancing their own skill by truly understanding their character, where as low tiers have that lesson to learn smack-dab blatantly in their face.

So I guess I'd have to say that skill is not directly related to character choice, though for some, character choice may prove as a catalyst to improve their personal skill. They may force their self to use a worse character in order to easier understand how to embrace a character's weakness.

I think a great example of this is the abosolutely ridiculous practice of DI that many Link mains show in order to help the recovery issue. It's quite common, if you hang out with a bunch of competent Link mains, that when you watch videos with commentary and hear, "Oh that was amazing DI!" chances are, you'll just look at it and say, "...Nah... Looked like about average DI to me, but at least it wasn't terribad."

Character choice in competitive play is more or less about intelligence... not skill. With that being said, there are the few *******, such as myself, lol, who are just too loyal to a character to not use it. I'm not worried about losing, as long as I give my best effort with my favorite character of all time, then hell, I've had way more fun than I would with any other character even if I lose. That's what's important to me.

So yeah, that's my little schpeel-a-mah-bob on the matter. Hope some of you agree, or enjoy it, or something.

Edit: Holy crap I'm an idiot. Was show this thread by a friend and didn't see the last post was a month ago (johns)... Sorry for the necropost.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think you should know better than to post replies to threads that are nearly a month old with absolutely no contribution to the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom